PDA

View Full Version : Just read something...

heathj
05-05-2001, 05:16 PM
Read something that I thought all you bulking people might find interesting. November 2000 Issue of Ironman Magazine. Article:

Pg. 124 - Section 1
Adding fat to gain muscle no longer works

Today's enlightened nutritionists and medical practitioners frown upon overdoing any kind of intentional bulking up. They'll likely tell you that ading weight that includes too much fat to the body in order to increase lean muscle size doesn't work now, and never did. Their reasoning is sound. Did youknow that adding fat is not only unhealthy, but can also make dieting much more difficult in the future? Once fat cells are formed they're difficult to lose. Fat cells are permanent. They remain ready to fill up into swollen blubber, even after you've lost weight!

Fat cells are nature's reservoir of energy. Each cell is elasticized, and helps the body reserve energy in two ways: one, by increasing the size of every cell; two, by adding more and more cells. Sadly, however, fat cells don't tend to expand beyond 0.3 to 0.9 ng, but they love to multiply as long as overeating occurs. During weight loss you can only decrease the size of your fat cells- and that too is not so easily accomplished. That's where the positive effects of taking a top-quality fat-burner, correct training and diet come into play. Your aim is to shrink your fat cells- permanently!

If you want to own a more muscular body, have a lower level of bodyfat, be stronger, more attractive, and experience the new surge of confidence that comes from looking and feeling better, get ready to bite the bullet. Even with the help of nutritional science, you must also take the job of adding muscle and losing fat seriously. Regardless of how effective the fat-burner is, don't get lazy.

Written by Stephen Drew

The_Chicken_Daddy
05-05-2001, 05:40 PM
"two, by adding more and more cells. "

Wasn't there a post saying that fat cells only increase at birth, adolesence and one other time?

Podium Kreatin
05-05-2001, 05:47 PM
they don't multiply after kiddie-teen years, cuz ur body "assumes" how much fat cells u need to survive.

1 misconception about bulking, imo, is that ppl think ur supposed to get fat on purpose. the purpose of bulking is to get ur protein needs without worrying about getting fat, but some ppl think they should purposely up their fat and carbs.

that article seems to compare bulking with obesity, cuz i don't think ppl would bulk so much that they'll grow so much fat cells that would permanently mess up one's appearance when cutting.

heathj
05-05-2001, 05:51 PM
It's not comparing anything with obesity. The main point of bulking is to gain fat while gaining more muscle and then you cut out the fat.

Cackerot69
05-05-2001, 06:00 PM
"1 misconception about bulking, imo, is that ppl think ur supposed to get fat on purpose. the purpose of bulking is to get ur protein needs without worrying about getting fat, but some ppl think they should purposely up their fat and carbs."

Your opinion is flawed. Unless you are going to eat 700g of protein per day you are going to need to increase carbs and fat. Protein isn't the only macronutrient involved in muscle growth. Bulking is about eating more calories than you burn, period.

Podium Kreatin
05-07-2001, 06:03 PM
how can getting fat on purpose will expedite hypertrophy? Fat doesn't contain the properties of muscle protein, nor it has anything to do with muscle building processes. fat ppl generally have higher test, but high fat to lbm ratio results in lethargy and low metabolism, which slows down things including protein synthesis. this bc when ur body takes in a lot of fat, it notices the excess amounts of energy already stored. with a lot of sth like fat (which contains the most energy/mass ratio), ur body either slows down, or becomes catabolic. lower fat causes a "storage mode," which results in anabolism. this is very general, cuz there are exceptions
bulk on protein, not on fat. carbs, however, help, bc they assist digestion of macromolecules like protein (and fat).

cackerot, i didn't mean up the protein only, i meant to eat more to get more protein, but usually eating more would include ingesting higher amounts of carbs and fat along with that protein. eating high fat/carb meals with low protein is a waste of a meal. it would be better to eat a high/moderate carb/fat meal with always high protein.

heathj, when they say swollen blubber, i don't think they're referring to a normal bulking body.

heathj
05-07-2001, 06:29 PM
I'm sure just because you weightlift doesn't mean you don't have any "swollen blubber".

Cackerot69
05-08-2001, 01:34 PM
Podium, did i say to eat only carbs and fat?

"Your opinion is flawed. Unless you are going to eat 700g of protein per day you are going to need to increase carbs and fat. Protein isn't the only macronutrient involved in muscle growth. Bulking is about eating more calories than you burn, period."

Where did i say to puposely make yourself fat?

So, 130lb boy, how did YOU get so big?

Podium Kreatin
05-08-2001, 10:36 PM
cackerot, i didn't mean up the protein only, i meant to eat more to get more protein, but usually eating more would include ingesting higher amounts of carbs and fat along with that protein. eating high fat/carb meals with low protein is a waste of a meal. it would be better to eat a high/moderate carb/fat meal with always high protein.

i didn't say u said to eat only carbs and fat, i just said that u misinterpreted my original post