PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Macros

GymFean
03-27-2012, 08:58 PM
hello gents,
new to this forum and needed advice on macros....i have been lifting for a few years now, but recently got real serious about my diet.
i am 5'8, 190lbs, 17%bf...( so the hand held machine sais) The problem is i am coming off a bulking phase where my macros were at 3700cals 50%cbs, 30%prtn, 20%ft and i gained alot of body fat in the mid section, even with a clean diet. maybe carbs were to high.
my goal is to be at 195lbs 10-12% bf from where i am now...
i know what to eat for a good and clean nutritious diet, but how many cals should i be at and what kind of macros should i have to loose the midsection but maintain the muscle? i know i will have to drop some weight to drop the bf, but i would like to keep the size if possible. should i go 40/40/20 or low carbs high protien and fat or what? i am kind of stuck with loosing the bf, but still being able to muscle building going...should i eat like im 195lbs 10%bf (3061cals) or different...
any help from the experienced would be appreciated...

Rileigh
03-28-2012, 05:44 AM
I'm sure more experienced people will chime in, but I generally don't worry too much about the macro breakdown of things. I drink two protein shakes, one during and one post workout and other then that eat normally. That being said, I love meat. So generally my diet tends to be high on the protein intake when you consider the meat and protein shakes.

As far as calories go, I generally have a rough idea of where I'm at during the day, but again typically don't pay too much attention to it (unless I've been indulging ie cake at a work party or whatever). I know from experience that when I'm eating above 2500 or so I'm maintaining or gaining. Below that I tend to lose. That being said, to start cutting - rather then change my diet I've started running (intervals usually) for 40mins 4 days a week or so, and biking on the weekends.

So my point is, experiment with it. You already know you were gaining at 3700 calories. So depending on your training and activity level, maybe try cutting that to 3000 and see what happens. Then adjust from there.

Holto
03-29-2012, 12:25 PM
my macros were at 3700cals 50%cbs, 30%prtn, 20%ft and i gained alot of body fat in the mid section

This suggests that 3700 was a touch too high to be bulking on. Some fat gain is expected on a proper bulk. This is the meaning of the term "bulk".

how many cals should i be at and what kind of macros should i have to loose the midsection but maintain the muscle?

The single most important thing to know to create an "informed" nutrition plan is your maintenance intake. This is the number of calories you require to maintain weight. I strongly suggest you take two weeks and track calories accurately with the intention of not gaining or losing weight.

Then you can make an informed decision about a cutting caloric intake. If for example you determine that you maintain on 3000 cals/day then if you lock in an intake of 2500/day you'll drop one pound of fat per week like clockwork.

GymFean
03-29-2012, 02:54 PM
ok, thank you for the replys..i will look into findiing the cals for maintenance and go from there.