PDA

View Full Version : Cheat Days

Jonathan E
04-07-2012, 01:39 AM
Im going from Lineman to Linebacker. For the past handful of months, I've been on a calorie surplus to maximize my training. I just started 'cutting' in the sense I eat at or a little below maintenance because I have plenty of excess fat from my lineman years. Im at 235 lbs, 6 ft, and 22% bf. I want to get that down before august try-outs. Weight loss doesn't matter, for all I care I can gain weight and be happy as long as I loss BF.(Obviously, that probably won't happen anytime soon.) SO, im eating good right now. But I get hardcore cravings for my sodas, fast food, fried everything, etc. I've decided to give myself 4 'cheat' days every month. Long question short, would I be in trouble in anyway if on those days I go heavy on the bad foods? Feel free to rip me to shreds on anything.

RichMcGuire
04-07-2012, 01:28 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the purpose of the cheat days are because of leptin levels in the brain as well as other hormones. So something with more carbs could be good. I might consider doing one cheat meal each week rather than an entire day of cheating. If you're only in a slight deficit, it would be really easy to out eat what you lost during the week all within one day.

You could always try something Jim Wendler did that could work.. Have a big protein drink made with water before each meal and then only eat until you are content (but could eat more if you really wanted to). Body fat loss doesnt have to be that difficult for someone at your %.

But at the end of the day, all scientific arguments aside, the best fat loss plan for anyone is the one they can stick to and not fall off on a binge.

Jonathan E
04-07-2012, 02:12 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the purpose of the cheat days are because of leptin levels in the brain as well as other hormones. So something with more carbs could be good. I might consider doing one cheat meal each week rather than an entire day of cheating. If you're only in a slight deficit, it would be really easy to out eat what you lost during the week all within one day.

You could always try something Jim Wendler did that could work.. Have a big protein drink made with water before each meal and then only eat until you are content (but could eat more if you really wanted to). Body fat loss doesnt have to be that difficult for someone at your %.

But at the end of the day, all scientific arguments aside, the best fat loss plan for anyone is the one they can stick to and not fall off on a binge.

Thanks for the input dude. Yeah, I agree with your last statement incredibly. But with my current goals, I've needed to cut down pretty hard(Going from 5000 cal a day to about 2300 now) so cravings are expected.But I think I might give the protein shake thing a try, along with one cheat meal. Might be easier on the body.

f=ma
04-07-2012, 02:35 PM
ive found as i continue that less is more in terms of diet control

getting into a groove is the difficult part. once you are there its pretty easy. even when doing so, counting quantities is an easier approach and a "normal" meal every now and then (like going to panera for a sandwich or something) once a week or so has zero impact on progress when dieting.

and when i say easy, i mean easy. its just the initial adaptation that is hard. and this is coming from someone who was grazing 1lb boxes of cheezits per day on top of "anything with protein goes" meals

Jonathan E
04-07-2012, 05:06 PM
ive found as i continue that less is more in terms of diet control

getting into a groove is the difficult part. once you are there its pretty easy. even when doing so, counting quantities is an easier approach and a "normal" meal every now and then (like going to panera for a sandwich or something) once a week or so has zero impact on progress when dieting.

and when i say easy, i mean easy. its just the initial adaptation that is hard. and this is coming from someone who was grazing 1lb boxes of cheezits per day on top of "anything with protein goes" meals

Good to know, thanks. Definitely makes me feel a little better hahahaha.

ZAR-FIT
04-07-2012, 09:51 PM
when it comes to a cheat meal. make it something scheduled, relaxed, and enjoyable... if going overboard is your worry, then lay out the meal in its entirity in front of you... i find that on cheat meals if i grab a box of something ill eat the whole box, then go back to the pantry and eat a box of something else... but when i pour out a bowl of this and bowl of that and a plate of whatever and i have it out infront of me, i see how much food it is and i eat much less of it with MORE satisfaction.

Jonathan E
04-07-2012, 11:58 PM
when it comes to a cheat meal. make it something scheduled, relaxed, and enjoyable... if going overboard is your worry, then lay out the meal in its entirity in front of you... i find that on cheat meals if i grab a box of something ill eat the whole box, then go back to the pantry and eat a box of something else... but when i pour out a bowl of this and bowl of that and a plate of whatever and i have it out infront of me, i see how much food it is and i eat much less of it with MORE satisfaction.

Yeah i see what you mean. I think planning it like you said would make me less binge pron. Thanks.