PDA

View Full Version : Sumo Form

basbolstar
04-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Hey-

For some reason when I do Raw Sumo pulls, I tend to round my back as I go heavy. My butt flys up and it turns into a almost a straight leg pull.Sometimes I can drive through it. Other times I stall. I am about 5'11 195 Lbs. Is it possible I need more flexibility? Not sure what to do moving forward. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ZAR-FIT
04-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Drive through the heals and keep your ass down... it you cant do that, lower the weight to something where form wont break everytime.... find a weight that you can keep form for the majority of your set.

jtteg_x
04-09-2012, 06:33 PM
would be best to post a video. I had the same issue and turned out to be my grip. weak grip leads to rounding of the upperback.

vdizenzo
04-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Yes, video would help a great deal.

ScottYard
04-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Stretch the hammies and low back a good bit before doung these. I know me persoanlly my hams are super tight and if i skimp on the warm up my form is shitty.

theBarzeen
04-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Could be flexibility issues stopping you from sinking your hips.....or if your butt is starting down and just comes up too fast it's just a form issue. Focus on looking up and keeping your chest high. If Your form still breaks down it could be a strength issue..... personally I'd start working some safety squat bar squats and conventional pulls against bands to strengthen the upper back. Heavy ab work as well.

Etype
04-10-2012, 08:55 PM
personally I'd start working some safety squat bar squats and conventional pulls against bands to strengthen the upper back.
Is there notably more upper back involvement in the sumo? Maybe because of the different back angle? I'm playing around with sumo (I have a thread about it below this one) and I feel it a lot more in my lats than conventional. I don't notice too much rounding, at least not in my lumbar spine, but I feel like my shoulders may be falling down and forward a bit since the pull is more vertical.

I'm currently doing a lot more rowing, since I haven't done much in the past. I'm good with pull ups, I can do 20+ dead hang and can pretty easily do a 100# weighted pull up @ 180# body weight. I don't have access to a SSB (or any other types of special bars for that matter), what's a good alternate choice for upper back strength? Maybe barbell shrugs?

theBarzeen
04-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Is there notably more upper back involvement in the sumo? Maybe because of the different back angle? I'm playing around with sumo (I have a thread about it below this one) and I feel it a lot more in my lats than conventional. I don't notice too much rounding, at least not in my lumbar spine, but I feel like my shoulders may be falling down and forward a bit since the pull is more vertical.

I'm currently doing a lot more rowing, since I haven't done much in the past. I'm good with pull ups, I can do 20+ dead hang and can pretty easily do a 100# weighted pull up @ 180# body weight. I don't have access to a SSB (or any other types of special bars for that matter), what's a good alternate choice for upper back strength? Maybe barbell shrugs?

Rack pulls against bands, high pulls with a strap on the cable machine are both solid for the upper back... I'm sure that someone else on here could comment for a SSB replacement, I'm not too sure about that..... I agree with the lat involvement though. Debbie Damminga helped my wife a lot with her sumo pull and flexing the lats was a big point. She'd be a really good person to ask about this as well, she's a great technician.