PDA

View Full Version : protein shakes... what do you mix with the protein..

teeblair30
06-12-2002, 04:23 PM
Every fitness book I have taken a look at say that if you are dieting and trying to lose fat..you should cut out all dairy products.. so what do you use to mix your protein shake.. I have always used skim milk.. I have heard mixing water doesnt taste that well....just need some ideas..

BCC
06-12-2002, 04:29 PM
Normally I use Vitamin D milk. But I'm dieting, so I just use water.

runt
06-13-2002, 09:09 AM
I don't know what books you are reading but skim milk while being low in fat is high in protien, is fine as is low fat cottage cheese. Other dairy products are high in fat and should maybe be avoided.

As far as what to mix in a protien shake, I've been experimenting lately with smoothies. It requires a blender. In a measuring cup pet 5 or six ice cubes and then fill with cold water to 1 1/2 cup mark, pour in blender, add 2 scoop whey protien (I prefer vanilla) and a hand full of frozen strawberries (if your doing low carb cut carbs out some other place, it will be worth it) or any frozen friut and blend until completely smooth. Eat with a spoon if too thick. Not all frozen fruit works - blue berries, bananas and strawberries all work great. Peaches didn't have much taste. I've also heard some people use Peanut Butter. Be creative and have fun.

PS - I've never liked milk, that's why I don't use it.

hemants
06-13-2002, 12:26 PM
I've been cutting and I've lost 10 lbs in just over two months.

My morning shake:

1 apple or peach or pear
1/3 cup blueberries or strawberries
1 generous tbsp natural peanut butter
1 cup skim milk
2 scoops whey
1 scoop of bran or sometimes 1 scoop dry 1 minute oatmeal

I take this at 7:00 am and it holds me over until about 10:30 or 11:00.