PDA

View Full Version : Recovery ideas for pecs, who's got 'em

vdizenzo
04-16-2012, 05:43 AM
I have been benching pretty hard 2x a week and my pecs are killing me. I am trying lots of different things for recovery, but I'd love to hear some more ideas. Let me know what you got. Thx.

Travis Bell
04-16-2012, 06:36 AM
That close grip bench I took last week wrecked my pecs big time. Took me a couple days to get them back to normal after that.

What I find works best is stretching every morning. I keep a jump stretch band at home. I shut it in a door and stretch my shoulders working on mostly external rotation while drinking coffee and watching the morning news.

This combined with pretty consistent lacrosse ball massage has worked the best. For me I've found that it wasn't my pecs that were taking the beating so much as my shoulders getting incredibly tight the following days.

I also stretch out post workout for about 10-15min.

If I don't do this, over a couple bench sessions my pecs will start bothering me again.

Murderous
04-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Personally I think icing doesn't aid in recovery, I always use heat on my muscles and most injuries I have had. I do not do any specific recovery stuff on my pecs after benching, but I have used heat (as in wrapping a cloth around part of my chest to promote vasodilation,) to speed up my recovery from pulling my left pec twice. I healed in less than 2 weeks for both pulls, wasn't a bad pull, but just thought I could contribute. It just makes sense when more blood is flowing to your muscles that it will recover more quickly whether if it is from injury or from microtrauma since your muscles will not work if you don't get a constant supply of ATP after every rest period when you are benching and heat increases blood flow, which is how healing works, not ice which lessens blood flow.

thecityalive
04-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Yeah man, I just find a small medicine ball and lay my chest on top of it, moving all around the muscle. You could also take Travis' idea and use a lax ball...prepare for a nice cringe session if you aren't used to it.

Travis Bell
04-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Personally I think icing doesn't aid in recovery, I always use heat on my muscles and most injuries I have had. I do not do any specific recovery stuff on my pecs after benching, but I have used heat (as in wrapping a cloth around part of my chest to promote vasodilation,) to speed up my recovery from pulling my left pec twice. I healed in less than 2 weeks for both pulls, wasn't a bad pull, but just thought I could contribute. It just makes sense when more blood is flowing to your muscles that it will recover more quickly whether if it is from injury or from microtrauma since your muscles will not work if you don't get a constant supply of ATP after every rest period when you are benching and heat increases blood flow, which is how healing works, not ice which lessens blood flow.

thats fine if there isn't inflammation. Inflamation greatly inhibits recovery (as well as being painful) and rehab and if you put heat on it, you're just going to make it worse.

If I ice my joints post workout, it almost always pays off the next day by leaving me feeling quite recovered.

As with anything, moderation is the key. Heat is usually good the day after, but for someone who is at Vincent's level, putting heat on after a heavy bench session is likely to make his joints worse.

Murderous
04-16-2012, 10:45 AM
thats fine if there isn't inflammation. Inflamation greatly inhibits recovery (as well as being painful) and rehab and if you put heat on it, you're just going to make it worse.

If I ice my joints post workout, it almost always pays off the next day by leaving me feeling quite recovered.

As with anything, moderation is the key. Heat is usually good the day after, but for someone who is at Vincent's level, putting heat on after a heavy bench session is likely to make his joints worse.Interesting reply. Well I am not handling weights close to even half as heavy as you and Vince could do raw but yes my post was just for the muscles from my experience.

kingns
04-16-2012, 01:21 PM
If its sore icing, soft tissue stuff and stretching helps. Also icey hot or equiblock. But if its HURT or tweaked rest until it feels better and just ice, then stretching and soft tissue stuff once its a lil better.

K Y L E
04-16-2012, 01:49 PM
As Murderous said, I too don't have experience with half as much weight as Vince but I do SMR with a medicine ball before my bench days, and that night before i go to bed with a basketball.

ScottYard
04-16-2012, 03:49 PM
I used to love recovery workouts the day after a heavy lift. 3 minutes with just the bar then a big shake. I would do this with the bench, lat pulldown, and OH press the day after.

Rob Luyando
04-16-2012, 04:00 PM
My 2 cents........... Icing dierectly or as soon as possible for atleast an hour. Stretching as needed I usually find stretching induces peck cramps so take it slow. I try to do light shoulder work the next day after a heavy bench session. High reps light weight.

Use heat linament prior to training to assist in warming your shit up before you start training.

Thats what I do and I have only had 1 injury in all the years of doing this shit.

Travis Bell
04-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Rob when you are stretching are you stretching the pecs directly? or are you stretching your shoulders?

For myself, when I have pec tightness, it's because my shoulders are bound up so if I stretch my shoulders out the pecs relax

But if I stretch my pecs directly, they do cramp up like you described.

Rob Luyando
04-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Travis I stretch the pecs and shoulders. Flexability seems to help with me. Also an ocasional massage or ART session helps as well

larsen540
04-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Ice ice and then ice again

chris mason
04-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Take a monster-mini and wrap it around your back and do 1 set of high rep (70-100) presses holding each end of the band in your hands. It pumps blood without taxing the musculature and seems to help recovery.

JK1
04-16-2012, 11:59 PM
Take a monster-mini and wrap it around your back and do 1 set of high rep (70-100) presses holding each end of the band in your hands. It pumps blood without taxing the musculature and seems to help recovery.

Yup.

Shane Sweatt finally convinced me to try this---- one 100 rep set at the end of the workout to facilitate recovery. Light weight, moving the bar relatively fast on whatever specific area I'm feeling discomfort pain in--for example pushdowns for elbows, bench presses for pecs, good mornings/leg curls for hamstrings/low back, etc....

In addition to something like what Chris mentioned, consider reverse band bench presses, or very light bench presses with or without dumbells, basically any type of a movement working the affected area with a very, very light weight with the sole goal of getting blood into it.

If you can't get to 100 on the first set do as many as possible (I'd say if you get less than 70, you are using too much weight/resistance), rest for ~10 seconds, and finish to 100 on the second set.

kingns
04-17-2012, 11:44 AM
how do you stretch your shoulders? I can stretch my pecs but my delts are harder to

ScottYard
04-17-2012, 06:37 PM
how do you stretch your shoulders? I can stretch my pecs but my delts are harder to

I use indian clubs to stretch my shoulders.

theBarzeen
04-17-2012, 07:24 PM
flushing with bands or 5lb dumbbells..... stretching..... ice......

RhodeHouse
04-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Interesting reply. Well I am not handling weights close to even half as heavy as you and Vince could do raw but yes my post was just for the muscles from my experience.

A general rule of thumb is:

Ice joints
Heat muscles

Obviously, if you ice your joints some muscles will be involved. The anti-inflammatory effect of ice is best after training. Heat is good any other time, especially pre-workout.

Murderous
04-19-2012, 05:00 PM
A general rule of thumb is:

Ice joints
Heat muscles

Obviously, if you ice your joints some muscles will be involved. The anti-inflammatory effect of ice is best after training. Heat is good any other time, especially pre-workout.I will keep that in mind if my joints do ever ache (my weights aren't that heavy) but thanks for the clarification. BTW I'm sure you've read it before as well but in Supertraining 6th edition it says a warmer muscle performs better than if it was cold, which is why you are stating that pre-workout heat is good, correct?

RhodeHouse
04-19-2012, 07:04 PM
I will keep that in mind if my joints do ever ache (my weights aren't that heavy) but thanks for the clarification. BTW I'm sure you've read it before as well but in Supertraining 6th edition it says a warmer muscle performs better than if it was cold, which is why you are stating that pre-workout heat is good, correct?

I've never read Supertraining. A lot of stuff in there that was theory and never put into practice, but I know Louie preaches it. I'm sure I've been told that heat is better by someone smarter than I, but common sense tells me heat is better pre-workout, so that's why I do it.

Niko_El_Piko
04-23-2012, 03:55 PM
I agree with most of what been said here.
- heat pre_W
- ice post_W in joints
- stretching

What works for me are shoulder dislocations with a Broom Stick. I know it’s mainly for shoulder mobility, but the sense of stretch on the pecīs, in my case is great.

Also some restoration work like b/w push ups. It hurts like shit in the beginning but at the end, works fine for me.

vdizenzo
04-23-2012, 07:49 PM
OK, lots of great stuff here. I have incorporated some of what I call prehab work at the end of my bench sessions. Thanks to Jack I threw in the 100 reps with the bar the other day and that was great. Today when I finished bench I did pushups (totally lame from my knees) and accentuated the finish. I also did some neutral grip lat raises. These last two exercises I got from a Mike Robertson article on shoulder health. One of the best articles I have ever read.

I have also introduced moist heat 2 days after training. Seems to be helping. Maybe it's everything lumped together. Thanks for all the ideas.