PDA

View Full Version : Wrist straps with suicide grip?

Invain
04-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Anybody tried/do this? I like using a thumb-less grip with certain presses, but it scares the shit out of me using heavier weight.

jtteg_x
04-17-2012, 07:27 PM
If I can remember, I think it was Vincent Dizenzo who uses a suicide grip for his shirted benching. It's scary watching him lift but he has good spotters from what I seen on his training videos.

I only time I do use a suicide grip is for JM presses. Although I'm only moving under 200lb, its still pretty scary cause the barbell alone could drop on your throat. ALWAYS have spotters

Invain
04-17-2012, 07:31 PM
That's the problem, I don't have any reliable spotters right now.

jtteg_x
04-17-2012, 07:37 PM
I would say your best bet is benching in the power rack. Sucks that you have no spotters. I'm sure that's holding you back some on your benching.

vdizenzo
04-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Yeah, suicide grip boys for shizzle!

Bako Lifter
04-17-2012, 08:07 PM
I suicide for everything except regular bench. Close grip, OH stuff, cleans. I use wrist wraps for all oh stuff, they especially help me on my overhead squat, but they make pressing more comfortable too.

Butcher
04-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Straps and not wraps? I don't see how straps would prevent the bar from falling out of your hand when benching. If anything I think having straps wrapped between your bar and hand would increase the likelihood of dropping it.

RhodeHouse
04-19-2012, 07:08 PM
I would NEVER use straps while pressing. It's a good way to hurt yourself if something does go wrong.

If you don't have good spotters, look for some good training partners.

Invain
04-19-2012, 07:25 PM
If anything I think having straps wrapped between your bar and hand would increase the likelihood of dropping it.

This is what I was kind of thinking. I've never tried it, but I've seen people do it.

Guess I'll have to man up until I can get some good spotters.

Songsangnim
04-19-2012, 09:33 PM
If I can remember, I think it was Vincent Dizenzo who uses a suicide grip for his shirted benching. It's scary watching him lift but he has good spotters from what I seen on his training videos.

I only time I do use a suicide grip is for JM presses. Although I'm only moving under 200lb, its still pretty scary cause the barbell alone could drop on your throat. ALWAYS have spotters

While having spotters is a good idea, they aren't going to be able to do much if the bar DOES actually drop. From arm's length to your throat it can travel in less then half a second. I don't know of anybody who has reaction time that quick...much less two or three.

I bench in the power rack with the pins set just above my chest. That way I can be 100% sure that they will catch the bar. And can go 'all out' with little fear of injury/death...barring freak accidents like the pins snapping or something.
Spotters are a second best alternative (IMO) if you don't have a rack with pins available.

And yes I wouldn't use straps on the bench press...as said above that could lead to injury if things go wrong.

Tom Mutaffis
04-20-2012, 11:39 AM
I would say that a power rack is going to be your best bet with regard to safety, as others have said a spotter will not be able to do much until after the bar has already fallen on you.

Flora62
04-20-2012, 07:42 PM
http://www.heritems.info/avatar3.jpgI only time I do use a suicide grip is for JM presses.

vdizenzo
04-20-2012, 09:25 PM
You have as much chance of dropping the bar on your face regular grip as suicide grip. If the weight goes towards your face it means your wrists bent backwards. Thumbs are not going to help you there. I can see how one could argue dumping toward your belly is more possible with suicide grip. However, I still maintain I have seen as many dumps regular as suicide.

Lastly, if your spotters can't catch a bar, they suck. I have been saved by and have seen many saved by good spotters.

Niko_El_Piko
04-23-2012, 03:32 PM
You have as much chance of dropping the bar on your face regular grip as suicide grip. If the weight goes towards your face it means your wrists bent backwards. Thumbs are not going to help you there. I can see how one could argue dumping toward your belly is more possible with suicide grip. However, I still maintain I have seen as many dumps regular as suicide.

Lastly, if your spotters can't catch a bar, they suck. I have been saved by and have seen many saved by good spotters.

I coulndīt agree more.
The only limitation for grips is competition and Federations. In the IPF you canīt use thumbless grips.

Rhodes: I THINK the guy meant wraps not straps... only guessing.

RhodeHouse
04-24-2012, 11:00 AM
While having spotters is a good idea, they aren't going to be able to do much if the bar DOES actually drop. From arm's length to your throat it can travel in less then half a second. I don't know of anybody who has reaction time that quick...much less two or three.

I bench in the power rack with the pins set just above my chest. That way I can be 100% sure that they will catch the bar. And can go 'all out' with little fear of injury/death...barring freak accidents like the pins snapping or something.
Spotters are a second best alternative (IMO) if you don't have a rack with pins available.

And yes I wouldn't use straps on the bench press...as said above that could lead to injury if things go wrong.

If you have anyone worth a shit spotting, the bar should NEVER even come near you. We've had bars come out of hands, dumped on the belly and on the face and NEVER has a bar ever touched anyone in our gym. Raise the standards of what's acceptable for spotters in your group.