PDA

View Full Version : 5/3/1 For geared

robertjr93
04-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Just wondering if any of you guys found a way to do geared lifting with 5/3/1 any suggestions would be nice.

ScottYard
04-21-2012, 04:02 PM
I wouldnt. You will blow through gear too fast with all those reps.

JK1
04-21-2012, 09:07 PM
I wouldnt. You will blow through gear too fast with all those reps.

I don't know about blowing through your gear.... but I do agree I wouldn't try to do it. Honestly, I'm not sure if I'd use 531 for meet prep for either raw or equipt lifting. It just doesn't seem to work for that absolute max you need to do well in a meet. We tried couple of meet preps and a pseudo meet prep with my wife with 531 or a 531 variant. It never worked right. The problem we had was a) not enough time or sets in the equipment or, with the variant it just beat the crap out of her.

I think its a solid program for lifters wanting to gain general strength and conditioning. I recommend it to everyone who starts training at my place who don't have alot of experience under the bar.... but they all seem to eventually stagnate. At that point we just switch them to westside template and move on so they can get ready for their first meet.

robertjr93
04-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Well after posting this i put some good thought into it. I figured if i did 5/3/1 but didnt push myself almost to failure on the last set i could put my gear on and work up! I just havent figured the exact numbers out yet. I'm working up to what i want in my meet and i just go up about 20 pounds each week

pjv0573
04-23-2012, 12:46 PM
i think in the 5-3-1 for powerlifting book theres a geared section

RhodeHouse
04-24-2012, 08:42 PM
I love 5/3/1, but agree with Jack, in that it's a great program for those new to lifting or those looking for general strength. As far as powerlifting goes, the 5/3/1 powerlifting book does have some good ideas, but it's not a great powerlifting template, in my opinion. Like Jack said, it neglects some of that really heavy training that is necessary as a powerlifter.

Bako Lifter
04-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Why not just do westside? What reason do you have for wanting to do 5/3/1?

If you want to be a strong geared lifter, do what the strongest guys In that field do.

bald bull
04-24-2012, 11:08 PM
I know Tone Barbaccio did a variant of the 5 3 1 for geared lifters not sure how it turned out, but i remember reading it on here.

kingns
04-25-2012, 07:55 AM
in the book he says to do your 531 sets raw and do a few submaximal sets in your gear every other week. you dont get a lot of work in your gear. If you have good technique and just want to get stronger this may work. But if you need gear practice this program wouldnt be good

larsen540
04-25-2012, 08:00 AM
in the book he says to do your 531 sets raw and do a few submaximal sets in your gear every other week. you dont get a lot of work in your gear. If you have good technique and just want to get stronger this may work. But if you need gear practice this program wouldnt be good

I agree

JK1
04-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Why not just do westside? What reason do you have for wanting to do 5/3/1?

If you want to be a strong geared lifter, do what the strongest guys In that field do.

In my opinion westside--- this is especially true if done inappropriately (ie too much band tension, neglecting recovery, too many sets on ME days, not enough volume on DE days, etc)---- will flat out beat the living crap out of lifters who are not adequately conditioned, do not have an adequate muscle base, or exercise execution skill base when they begin using it.

If they are in somewhat good shape to start, it works, if they aren't they need something to get themselves into starting condition. That is a good place for 5/3/1 in my opinion.

ehubbard
04-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Rich "T. Baggins" Douglas did a variation of it for his squat I believe that worked well for him. Not sure if its in the powerlifting book or not. Too bad his ugly ass doesn't post here anymore.

If you want to bring up a pet lift its a great way to program that in. I used it to bring my standing military press as an assistance lift (from around 165 to 245). This could have been accomplished with a number of "programs", rep schemes, etc. It could have a place for certain assistance lifts in your program so long as you start light enough, and reset the maxes down every couple of months (personally I like the idea of using it for Pause squats, Military press and 3-boards). Like Jake said, Westside will beat you up if your not conditioned for it, so will Sheiko and many other programs. People always seem to jump between programs without taking into account work capacity and conditioning and wonder why things fail. Whatever you decide to do make sure it makes sense for where you are now in your lifting.

Bako Lifter
04-25-2012, 12:46 PM
I hope the op has an adequate lifting base and excersise execution if he's using gear.

drew
04-25-2012, 01:30 PM
I don't know, but I'm looking to find out. I'm planning on using 5/3/1 sets as a warmup and then putting on my gear afterward once I start getting back into the gear.

ScottYard
04-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Give it a whirl. Doing it as a base before putting gear on might work. Good Luck

robertjr93
04-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Thanks for all the input guys! I've come to the conclusion to go back to westside! My reasons for switching was because the gym i'm at now! has no band attachments and such! But i've been looking for ways to do Westside there and i think i've found a few ideas! Without you guys i wouldnt have thought outside the box! but i will be making the switch back over!

RhodeHouse
04-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Thanks for all the input guys! I've come to the conclusion to go back to westside! My reasons for switching was because the gym i'm at now! has no band attachments and such! But i've been looking for ways to do Westside there and i think i've found a few ideas! Without you guys i wouldnt have thought outside the box! but i will be making the switch back over!

Whatever you do, just believe in it.

By the way, you don't need bands or chains to do Westside.