PDA

View Full Version : Video of Jeremy Hoornstra benching 661 @ 241

Brian Hopper
04-23-2012, 09:09 AM
hhma1hmT1V4

jmccown
04-23-2012, 10:03 AM
That is a very close grip there. Strong tri's.

vdizenzo
04-23-2012, 11:00 AM
One of the best bench presses of all time. Great job!

mastermonster
04-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Amazing Jeremy!

Niko_El_Piko
04-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Holy Sh*t!
I also think his grip is very narrow. Incredible.

ScottYard
04-23-2012, 05:59 PM
AMAZING.

chris mason
04-23-2012, 06:49 PM
He told me he benches like that to protect his shoulders. I suppose his massive triceps help.

That was a great lift!

Niko_El_Piko
04-23-2012, 09:47 PM
He told me he benches like that to protect his shoulders. I suppose his massive triceps help.

That was a great lift!

Two technical considerations:
- His pinkies doesnīt seem to be OVER the ring. Is that legal?
- He doesnīt have his arms fully extended at the begining of the press. Is that legal?

Thanks for the replies.

Brian Hopper
04-24-2012, 07:04 AM
Two technical considerations:
- His pinkies doesnīt seem to be OVER the ring. Is that legal?
- He doesnīt have his arms fully extended at the begining of the press. Is that legal?

Thanks for the replies.

His pinkies don't have to touch the ring, so his grip is fine...but your index finger can't go pass the ring.

It's been 10 years since I lifted in the APA, but seeing how it got white lights, i'm guessing a soft handoff is allowed, so his elbows do not have to be fully locked at the start of the lift, only at the end when he locks it out.

NickAus
04-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Great bench, great!!

larsen540
04-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Awesome raw bench

vdizenzo
04-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Even if it was a soft handoff that would only be one red light. It only takes two whites to get a lift passed. All lifts don't have to be perfect. Some may not think it's perfect, but there's no doubt it's a good lift and no doubt that it was an incredible feat of strength.

According to APA rules the lift can be disqualified if the bar is not taken at arms length and it is a flagrant violation. I did not see a flagrant violation. Flagrant to me is when the liftoff guy follows the bar down with the lifter. As with many of the rules it is open for inerpretation.

I have judged before and you have to make snap decisions. For anyone who questions close calls I'll tell you to sit in a ref chair for a while and tell me how easy it is. No luxury of video there. To me, close calls go to the lifter.

chris mason
04-24-2012, 09:44 AM
I figured the hand off would be mentioned. I agree, his arms were most definitely not locked to start, but he got whites and frankly if he started from a full lockout the lift would not have been any harder and I don't see it having made any difference.

chris mason
04-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Oh, and he most fully locked it out and racked it himself. I figure that is good for extra credit :).

RhodeHouse
04-24-2012, 10:47 AM
What a fantastic lift! Does this board have to be like Outlaws with people who couldn't even comprehend totalling that amount of weight, let alone benching it, passing out critiques like "his elbows weren't locked..." Shut up and marvel at what lifting is and should be.

Great lift Jeremy. Congratulations!

Niko_El_Piko
04-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the replies. Of course it is a wonderful feat of strength, never the less, under rules of several federations (IPF in my case) my consideration is that the lift was a red light no matter what.
Itīs the same as getting your ass off the bench or moving the feet or head during the lift. Itīs a fault and that is a red light.

Travis Bell
04-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the replies. Of course it is a wonderful feat of strength, never the less, under rules of several federations (IPF in my case) my consideration is that the lift was a red light no matter what.
Itīs the same as getting your ass off the bench or moving the feet or head during the lift. Itīs a fault and that is a red light.

No it's not the same. That's a ridiculous thing to say.

There is no start command in the fed he competed in so why would he hold it at the top? Just to please some internet goofs?

The IPF is not the be all and end all of all things powerlifting. He competed by the rules of his federation.

It's called a bench press, not a static hold and then press.

Had there been a press command in his federation then there would be cause for a red light, however there isn't and I really don't think it compromises the lift at all.

Niko_El_Piko
04-24-2012, 04:51 PM
No it's not the same. That's a ridiculous thing to say.

There is no start command in the fed he competed in so why would he hold it at the top? Just to please some internet goofs?

The IPF is not the be all and end all of all things powerlifting. He competed by the rules of his federation.

It's called a bench press, not a static hold and then press.

Had there been a press command in his federation then there would be cause for a red light, however there isn't and I really don't think it compromises the lift at all.

Ok then, forget the comments.

chris mason
04-24-2012, 07:04 PM
And that's fair enough :).

SELK
04-24-2012, 08:29 PM
ive had a bench turned down before at a WPC meet for a soft handoff, so it can certainly happen.

Amazing lift there though, wasnt 661 the lift that Kaz got to break the all-time?

Rob Luyando
04-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Congrats to Jeremy! As always impressive. He has been handling this weight for a long time happy to see him put it all together!

MikeWilliams
04-28-2012, 04:32 PM
so awesome....it's kinda hard to imagine benching that kinda weight...

is there very many lifters in the world that are benching in the 600's raw? i can only think of a handful but I don't know that much about who's out there

krazylarry
04-28-2012, 04:46 PM
sick!

GazzyG
04-29-2012, 06:00 AM
I can't imagine deadlifting that weight, yet - let alone benching it. Incredible to watch.

jkstrength
04-29-2012, 06:58 AM
Simply an amazing feat of strength.

FearFactory
04-30-2012, 08:44 AM
I question how a soft handoff helps anyway???

If he can pause it on his chest (that was a very LEGIT pause btw) and press it to full lockout, I am pretty fucking certain he can hold it with arms extended for a split second prior to his initial descent.