PDA

View Full Version : Can I get some Diet Advice?

freztek
06-12-2002, 08:24 PM
Height - 6'2
Weight - 230

I have always had a crap diet. Lately I have been eating better to trying lose some weight. (20lbs) or so. I have been working out off and on for 3 or so years but could never keep a routine until about 6 months ago. I workout 3-5x a week for 1-2 hrs (depending on time alowed) I also do 20-40mins of cardio at least 3x a week. When I first started working out it was to try and feel better about myself since I have gained 45lbs of FAT over the last 4yrs. (Ever since I met my wife, not an excuse). Well I have toned up alot of the fat, still have plenty of it though since my diet has been crap. I have been taking Creatine and 100% Whey Protein for almost a month now. I need help with my diet and advice on if I should be taking my current suppluments or not while trying to lose fat. I have seen many say that its good to take Creatine and Protein while dieting so you don't lose as much muscle. I have built up alot of muscle in the past 6 months that I don't want to lose. I have never really tried to lose weight before so I don't really know how to do so, especially trying to lose it and continue to build and save my current muscle. I would appreciate any advice on what I should do as far as workouts, cardio, diets, and suppluments. Like I said my goal is to be cut up and lose 20lbs. I am already big, but not good big :) Thanks in advance guys for any advice. This board is the best I have seen on the net....it rocks! -=Frez

Tiare
06-12-2002, 09:07 PM
Welcome to the boards.

First I would start to record everything you eat. Do it at www.fitday.com if you want some help. This will give you an idea of what you currently consume calorie wise and a picture of your carb/prot/fat ratios. If you eat out, check on the web for the nutritional content of the foods (i.e. www.mcdonalds.com etc).

Once you have that for a week (assuming you neither gained nor lost weight), cut the calories by about 500/day. If you want to you can increase your cardio also. 1lb of fat = 3500 calories so 500 cal/day is going to be about 1lb/week. At most cut your calories by 1000/day to lose 2 lb/week and increase your cardio for any additional loss. If you are having problems with losing fat, you can add an ECA stack (ephedrine, caffiene, asprin) but try without first.

Read the training section or the WBB routines for lifting routines.

freztek
06-13-2002, 12:58 AM
-Tiare
Thanks, that fitday site has lots of cool stuff that is gonna be helpful.

Now about taking Creatine and Whey, should I be taking them? I dig the Creatine it really helps me go a little extra during workouts and mnt. biking and I have seen some results using it this past month. As for the Whey I have only been taking one 22g shake once a day right after my workouts. Is this ok? Should I add a couple more scoops of Whey in my diet throughout the day?

Clark
06-13-2002, 01:27 AM
I would reccomend having 44 grams post-workout as well as some dextrose (sugar you can buy at any health food store). You should be trying to have at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day. It doesn't matter if it's real food or supplements, but try to have 5-6 meals split evenly with tein to reach this goal.

freztek
06-14-2002, 08:27 PM
why the dextrose in my diet?

jls944
06-16-2002, 10:37 PM
Protein from foods is better than from a protein shake because proteins coming from foods have a better bioavailablity. After a workout you want to eat carbs and then eat/drink a protein shake a half hour after that. This is the best way to restore your glycogen levels in your muscles and liver.