PDA

View Full Version : Is this psychological or is my body really this sensitive to foods I eat when working

Crazy3rdgen
04-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Any time I start to feel a little hungry I get weak and slow down (literally an hour after breakfast, which is 2 oatmeal packets, fruit cup, water), so this is when i take the time to eat a portion in between meals, say peanut butter & crackers, yogurt, granola bars, strawberries, I might even take some decent bites of my sandwich that is for lunch (tuna lettuce tom cheese on wheat). 5-10 minutes after I eat I instantly feel fine and ready to go. Its so weird. And if I dont eat throughout the day like this, my workouts after work later in the day arent as good. Is anyone else like this or is my mind playing tricks?

RhodeHouse
04-24-2012, 08:52 PM
There's no protein in your breakfast. Everything you eat is carbs. It makes total sense that you "crash" an hour or so after breakfast. Get some REAL protein in. You should be eating eggs and ham steak (or some kind of lean meat) for breakfast. If you're like me and can't eat "real" food first thing in the morning, oatmeal and a big protein shake is acceptable, in my opinion. I'd bring eggs and meat to work for a mid-morning snack, maybe 2-3 hours after your shake and oats. This is what I do and it seems to work well.

Crazy3rdgen
04-24-2012, 09:02 PM
There's no protein in your breakfast. Everything you eat is carbs. It makes total sense that you "crash" an hour or so after breakfast. Get some REAL protein in. You should be eating eggs and ham steak (or some kind of lean meat) for breakfast. If you're like me and can't eat "real" food first thing in the morning, oatmeal and a big protein shake is acceptable, in my opinion. I'd bring eggs and meat to work for a mid-morning snack, maybe 2-3 hours after your shake and oats. This is what I do and it seems to work well.

ok so drop down to say 1 packet of oatmeal and eat eggs with chopped up sausage would that be good? Im not much of a morning person. Hell i usually roll out of bed and go right to work. I would somtimes grab a muscle milk $4.00 and that adds up quick $ so i havent lately. Used to make a ton of protein shakes, that $$ adds up quick too lol I've been trying to save all the $ I can, it seems to stay healthy and grow you really gotta pay for it with $ also.

Rileigh
04-25-2012, 07:11 AM
ok so drop down to say 1 packet of oatmeal and eat eggs with chopped up sausage would that be good? Im not much of a morning person. Hell i usually roll out of bed and go right to work. I would somtimes grab a muscle milk $4.00 and that adds up quick $ so i havent lately. Used to make a ton of protein shakes, that $$ adds up quick too lol I've been trying to save all the $ I can, it seems to stay healthy and grow you really gotta pay for it with $ also.

I justify buying protein as a food source. 2 scoops is usually between 300-400 cal depending on the protein. So it can really reduce your meal costs by adding a protein shake. Most protein powders will cost you around 1.50-1.75$ or so per two scoops. So to me - that's a good deal for a 300 cal meal/snack or whatever.

Just the way my mind rationalizes the cost. :)

Holto
04-25-2012, 11:48 AM
ok so drop down to say 1 packet of oatmeal and eat eggs with chopped up sausage would that be good?

As RhodeHouse pointed out this would be FAR better. Right now the breakfast you described would not sustain any kind of athlete. Least of all a strength athlete.

RhodeHouse
04-25-2012, 12:45 PM
You have to decide what you want to spend money on and what you don't want to. I certainly understand needing to save cash. If you want to be good at this stuff, you might look elsewhere to cut corners. Just my thoughts.

Good luck and stay focused.

r2473
04-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Any time I start to feel a little hungry I get weak and slow down (literally an hour after breakfast, which is 2 oatmeal packets, fruit cup, water),

5-10 minutes after I eat I instantly feel fine and ready to go. Its so weird. And if I dont eat throughout the day like this, my workouts after work later in the day arent as good. Is anyone else like this or is my mind playing tricks?

Im not much of a morning person. Hell i usually roll out of bed and go right to work.

I've been trying to save all the $ I can

I think you just need to eat more. Protein or otherwise.

When are you eating this oatmeal you speak of for breakfast? Skip the stupid oatmeal packets. If you have a microwave (at work or at home), you can make Old Fashioned Quaker oatmeal. I literally eat ~1.5 cups dry measured oatmeal for breakfast (which is a lot of oatmeal). You can buy 10 lb. boxes at Costco for ~$7. That should last you for over a month.

If you need "protein", buy a few gallons of chocolate milk at Costco. I have a large glass for breakfast if I'm bulking (which I would never do anymore), or if I'm expending a lot of energy and need a lot of calories. Cheap as hell and imagine a gallon (or two at the most) would be enough for an entire week.