PDA

View Full Version : Forks Over Knives documentary

AiCPearlJam
04-26-2012, 10:31 AM
My stress management class is watching this documentary "Forks Over Knives". It's really eye opening and really backs up further knowledge displayed in documentaries such as Food Inc. I for one have started eating mostly vegetables and only one plate with meat product a day. The local public market of Rochester is one of the best in the country. Also now that I've taken a job at Wegmans in the deli department I am way more concious of what I eat.

r2473
04-26-2012, 11:53 AM
The feature film Forks Over Knives examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting animal-based and processed foods.

Understanding that there isn't any one factor or "silver bullet", I'm still more convinced by the power of exercise than the power of nutrition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo

AiCPearlJam
04-26-2012, 12:44 PM
I think exercise and diet go hand in hand. In the documentary they show stats for when the Nazi's invaded Polin and their armies started stealing cattle and hogs, civilian heart disease and cancer problems dwindled to almost nothing. They also go into China's 300 million person study on the same subject that revealed the same types of dieting issues.

krazylarry
04-26-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm calling bullshit. It links animal-based and processed foods, animal and processed foods are two totally different things. Its not real science when you change more than one variable.

r2473
04-26-2012, 12:55 PM
I think exercise and diet go hand in hand. In the documentary they show stats for when the Nazi's invaded Polin and their armies started stealing cattle and hogs, civilian heart disease and cancer problems dwindled to almost nothing. They also go into China's 300 million person study on the same subject that revealed the same types of dieting issues.

So on the one hand we have research showing how eating like "our caveman ancestors" will cure all our problems (i.e., eat meat and not grains and sugars....carbs).

On the other hand we have research showing that not eating meat (or any animal based product) will cure all our problems.

Why not just try a philosophy of "moderation in all things"? It often seems to work better than going to extremes.

Anyway, good luck with your new diet. Stop back to the forum in 1, 5, 10, 20+ years and let us know if you are still following this and how its going. You need to stay consistent.

Alex.V
04-26-2012, 02:05 PM
So on the one hand we have research showing how eating like "our caveman ancestors" will cure all our problems (i.e., eat meat and not grains and sugars....carbs).

On the other hand we have research showing that not eating meat (or any animal based product) will cure all our problems.

This has been my point for ages. No matter what your underlying preference is, you'll certainly find some fad diet or "research" to back it up.

I'm personally holding out for the bacon and beer diet.

r2473
04-26-2012, 02:27 PM

The German's have been following this diet plan for hundreds of years.

Seems to work for Hedi Klum.

RichMcGuire
04-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Research is sometimes just so biased or flawed in how its conducted that its just funny.

NITF
04-26-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm calling bullshit. It links animal-based and processed foods, animal and processed foods are two totally different things. Its not real science when you change more than one variable.

The movie seems to be very unscientific all around; clearly it has an agenda.

joey54
04-26-2012, 08:37 PM
If you can't grill it, cook it, grow it, catch it, or kill it; most of the time don't eat it. Sometimes enjoy whatever you want.

krazylarry
04-26-2012, 09:24 PM

Seconded! Deep fried beer battered bacon...MMMMM

tom183
04-27-2012, 12:39 AM
This has been my point for ages. No matter what your underlying preference is, you'll certainly find some fad diet or "research" to back it up.

This. Cherry pick your data and you can come up with an argument for any hypothesis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3001541/

TKisner
05-21-2012, 05:56 PM
It's vegan propaganda. Here's a nice critique of the movie. It's much better written and much longer than I could ever do http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/09/22/forks-over-knives-is-the-science-legit-a-review-and-critique/#more-1487 Also if you want to see the china study get shat on Denise Minger (the site owner) also does a nice analysis of all the data from that as well on the site.