PDA

View Full Version : carb cycling

alert20
04-28-2012, 12:10 PM
I'd like to try carb cycling.
I already eat more carbs on a training day but would like to improve things abit.
I'd like to eat fairly much paleo plus dairy on a non training day(maybe some carbs).
This is a sample non training day I came up with:

Breakfast
Eggs - Whole, 3 large
Meat - Pork Tenderloin , 6 oz
Butter - Salted, 0.5 tbsp

Snack
Full Fat Milk 300ml
Protein Powder 3 scoops
Peanut/Almond Butter 2Tbsp
Nuts 1oz
Banana

Lunch
Chicken breast 8oz
Salad

Dinner
Sirloin Steak 12oz
Greek Yoghurt

This comes to about 3000cals.
Then on a training day I'd eat around 200-300g of carbs.
I train 3 days a week similar to WS4SB.
I weigh about 185lbs and would like to slowly bulk by eating a surplus on training days
rather than eat a 3500cal surplus over a week.
I'd have about 700-800 cal difference between a training and non training day.
I can then gradually add more carbs/cals to a training day and more cals to a non training day
How is this plan?
Should I still eat some complex/ starchy carbs on a non training day and about how much?
Any other suggestions?

Gonzo
04-28-2012, 03:42 PM
I know this does not answer your question but regarding carb cycling I would read the
UD2 diet book by Lyle McDonald , I believe they have a forum as well. I did it a few times a few years back and the UD2 book explains everything very well

su9062
06-07-2012, 09:27 AM
I'd like to try carb cycling.
I already eat more carbs on a training day but would like to improve things abit.
I'd like to eat fairly much paleo plus dairy on a non training day(maybe some carbs).
This is a sample non training day I came up with:

Breakfast
Eggs - Whole, 3 large
Meat - Pork Tenderloin , 6 oz
Butter - Salted, 0.5 tbsp

Snack
Full Fat Milk 300ml
Protein Powder 3 scoops
Peanut/Almond Butter 2Tbsp
Nuts 1oz
Banana

Lunch
Chicken breast 8oz
Salad

Dinner
Sirloin Steak 12oz
Greek Yoghurt

This comes to about 3000cals.
Then on a training day I'd eat around 200-300g of carbs.
I train 3 days a week similar to WS4SB.
I weigh about 185lbs and would like to slowly bulk by eating a surplus on training days
rather than eat a 3500cal surplus over a week.
I'd have about 700-800 cal difference between a training and non training day.
I can then gradually add more carbs/cals to a training day and more cals to a non training day
How is this plan?
Should I still eat some complex/ starchy carbs on a non training day and about how much?
Any other suggestions?

This does not look like 3000 calories :)! You can add carbs on low carb days. The difference in the grams of carbs is more important in the cycle.

Anyway, I did carb cycling a few months ago and would recommend it. The idea is very simple but the number of unknowns of how much carbs to eat and how to measure your progress might be confusing. If you search, on a different forum, there is an article of a relatively well laid out plan to execute in 3 day cycles.

Here's the summary

Every day about 5/6 meals , no more than 2 protein shake meals.
1 cup of fruit with 3 meals all days.
1 cup of fiber based cereal all days.

The other meals should progressively have low carbs ( less than 50 grams per day), medium carbs ( about 150 grams total for the day ) and 250-300 grams on a high carb day.

The carb sources the article cites are all the good carbs in the bodybuilding world. Oats, Sweet potatoes and brown rice.

As per protein, you are allowed for 2 meals higher fat meats like chicken dark pieces.

The challenges with carb cycling will be how to tackle the medium carb day. It is not very simple.
And planning your workout after the low carb day will take some trial and error.
I am not sure about the forum policies on citing articles from other forums, so I am refraining from posting the link to it.

Edit :

Here is how I did it. I used to eat at Chipotle 2 to 3 times a day depending on what day it is.

On low carb days , i get the salad with cheese, meats and sourcream.
On med carb days, bowl with meats, rice , black beans, cheese. about 60 grams of carbs per meal.
On high carb days burrito with meats, rice, both kinds of beans, no cheese. about 110 grams of carbs per meal.

This worked out pretty good for me, both planning wise and money wise. I think I was down 4% bf in about 6 weeks starting at 25%.