PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a DE squat/ME deadlift day

muscle_g
05-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Could this work to do DE squats and then ME deadlifts on the same day? Say something like this

Mon- ME bench
Tue- ME squats
Thu- DE Bench
Fri- DE SQ/ME DL

or would it be best to do both heavy squatting and deadlifting on the same day?

H_M
05-05-2012, 06:58 PM
de squat/me deadlift on the same ay works great for me.

joey54
05-06-2012, 09:57 AM
I am willing to bet it will be advised against.

Jonathan E
05-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Maybe substitute the DE squats for something less taxing such as front squats? Thats what im attempting to do before DL at least.

ScottYard
05-06-2012, 05:49 PM
I have been doing this on my bench days. I do speed work after the ME work. Josh bryant advises this to alot of his trainees as well. With all the super stars he trains lately its got to be worth a shot.

JK1
05-08-2012, 12:49 AM
Could this work to do DE squats and then ME deadlifts on the same day? Say something like this

Mon- ME bench
Tue- ME squats
Thu- DE Bench
Fri- DE SQ/ME DL

I did that my last meet prep. in the end, I got sick before the meet and ended up dropping out of it. I will say, it beat the crap out of me and honestly I'm not sure my deadlifts went up at all.

The thing you have to remember is DE days were implemented to prevent the wear and tear of two ME workouts in the same week for the same body parts. DE day is your higher volume day that also facilitates tendon/joint healing and to a degree recovery. ME day is the day you learn to strain.

With DE squats/ME deads in that kind of a rotation, you are basically doing 3 ME workouts a week. You can consider the squats a 'warmup" for the deadlift, but if you work them with sufficient volume and weight, it will be more fatigue than simple pre-exhaustion. What I found was I got caught in this catch 22.. where to save energy for the big pulls, I decreased squat volume, but when I decreased squat volume, my squats went down. So I'd decrease deadlift volume and increase squat volume and then I wasn't doing a DE/ME workout, i was doing DE/something that didn't work.

In the end, I decided it just wasn't for me. I pull my DE deadlifts at a slightly higher percentage (up to 80%) vs the squats, trying to move the bar fast and keep my ME day on a 3 week rotation: good morning, squat, deadlift exercise. For me personally that seems to work well.

muscle_g
05-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Right now I am on this

Mon- Bench
Tue- Squats
Wed- Auxiliary
Thu- Declines
Fri- Deadlifts

I have been using alot of Wade Johnson's training methods. And just trying to get some idea's for future training cycles

chris mason
05-12-2012, 03:31 PM
In the Westside template the squat, deadliest, and good morning are all considered squat variations. One ME day by squat variation per week is all that most lifters can benefit from. If you try that template my guess is that like JK1 you will soon be overtrained.

SELK
05-12-2012, 06:27 PM

Mon- ME bench
Tue- ME squats
Thu- DE Bench
Fri- DE SQ/ME DL

Ive used that template for a while, if I am feeling beat up after DE squats I will instead come in the next day (usually a day off) and deadlift then instead. My DE squats are also a little heavier then I see most lifters doing. For myself though, I could squat everyday and not feel beat up, but if I do this my joints start killing me.

muscle_g
05-12-2012, 08:35 PM
I may try this then

Mon- ME Bench
Tue- ME SQ/DL
Thu- DE Bench
Fri- DE SQ/DL

halfsquat
05-13-2012, 11:40 AM
just wondering - what's wrong with the standard Westside template? Each training type once a week.

day 1 - MES
day 2 - MEB
day 3 - DES
day 4 - DEB

muscle_g
05-14-2012, 03:24 PM
just wondering - what's wrong with the standard Westside template? Each training type once a week.

day 1 - MES
day 2 - MEB
day 3 - DES
day 4 - DEB

Nothing's wrong with it. I've just always prefered to have a squat day and a deadlift day during the week.

underthebar
05-21-2012, 07:42 AM
We are doing something like this, have been for about the last 2 months and everybody has been getting stronger.

Mon- Speed Squats/ Every other week ME DL
Wed- Speed bench
Fri- ME Squats/Speed Pulls
Sun- ME Bench