PDA

View Full Version : Should I keep using snatch grip for DL?

NITF
05-13-2012, 08:55 PM
... Alright, I looked around and couldn't find much on this. I have been using a snatch grip (wide: past rings) on my deads since I starting lifting and have been progressing pretty well (I think). My initial hope (based on some articles I read) was that snatch grip would confer some additional benefits to the DL like increased ROM and scapular retraction; now it's just what I am used to. Can anyone think of a good reason why I should stop using snatch grip? I think it's probably one of those "if it works for you, why change it?" situations, but I am always trying to optimize my training so any opinions are welcomed. My basic goals are strength, size and power.

RFabsik
05-13-2012, 09:04 PM
A regular grip deadlift is used to be a total body lift that really works the posterior chain--hammies, glutes lower back while also hitting the quads and upper back to some extent. By using a regular grip, chances are the deadlift will better stress the posterior chain and lower body when you work near limit/work hard.

By going to a snatch grip you place more of the emphasis on the grip, traps and upper back. This isn't a bad thing, but down the road you might limit your lower body and post chain development if all you do is snatch grip deadlift since for most the weak point in this style will come from the grip or upper back and not the legs.

Keep in mind, you don't see any world class powerlifters using the snatch grip in competition, and when Oly lifters want to clean they use a clean grip. This doesn't mean you shouldn't use a snatch grip deadlift in training, its a great exercise. Just make sure if you use it that you balance out the rest of your program.

chris mason
05-13-2012, 10:37 PM
Snatch grip deadlifting is not a good idea for anything other than an accessory type of movement. It greatly increases the ROM and places you in a mechanically compromised position for the pull thus limiting what you can do.

-JM-
05-14-2012, 05:37 AM
Once your grip is placed wider than your arms being perpindicular to the bar, there is force dispersed laterally which is a waste. You will not pull as much with a snatch grip.

NITF
05-14-2012, 05:37 AM
Wow, thanks! I can see the logic behind the responses so far. I should probably re-articulate, with my goals being strength and size, I do not necessarily care about using the most poundage (i.e. powerlifting goals) and want to use the safest and most effective form (i.e. the one that benefits my body the most). Not contesting what has been said so far at all by presenting that but just want to make sure that it is considered.

Am I correct in understanding that using snatch grip will limit my posterior chain development by creating a weak link in my upper back and grip, thereby limiting the wt I can utilize? Or is there some other way using snatch grip limits training my posterior chain?

Thanks again.

RFabsik
05-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Yes.

chris mason
05-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Wow, thanks! I can see the logic behind the responses so far. I should probably re-articulate, with my goals being strength and size, I do not necessarily care about using the most poundage (i.e. powerlifting goals) and want to use the safest and most effective form (i.e. the one that benefits my body the most). Not contesting what has been said so far at all by presenting that but just want to make sure that it is considered.

Am I correct in understanding that using snatch grip will limit my posterior chain development by creating a weak link in my upper back and grip, thereby limiting the wt I can utilize? Or is there some other way using snatch grip limits training my posterior chain?

Thanks again.

Let's flip this around. How do you think using the snatch grip would more efficiently make you bigger and stronger?

NITF
05-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Let's flip this around. How do you think using the snatch grip would more efficiently make you bigger and stronger?

I would still emphasize the points in my original post: it uses a greater ROM and adds stress to more parts of the body (Upper back and grip). Theoretically it would force my body to do more work overall, and with less wt... I can see this not working after becoming limited by the weak links mentioned above but I have yet to reach that point. I think I will start to implement a standard grip based on your and everyone's advice but I don't feel like using the snatch grip has been a bad thing for me. Or am I just deluding myself?

ScottYard
05-15-2012, 05:53 PM
I would use it as a second or third exercise with rdls maybe but not as a primary movement. i would use 5-8 reps as well. it will tear you up fast as a heavy dl each week..

NITF
05-15-2012, 09:26 PM
I would use it as a second or third exercise with rdls maybe but not as a primary movement. i would use 5-8 reps as well. it will tear you up fast as a heavy dl each week..

Was thinking of keeping it in a DL variation; rdl sounds like a good one - thanks.

theBarzeen
05-17-2012, 09:16 AM
I should probably re-articulate, with my goals being strength and size, I do not necessarily care about using the most poundage (i.e. powerlifting goals) and want to use the safest and most effective form (i.e. the one that benefits my body the most). Not contesting what has been said so far at all by presenting that but just want to make sure that it is considered.

Thanks again.

Consider this... your goals are size and strength..... but you don't care how much you lift.... how is lifting less helping you gain strength exactly?

Wide grip pulls are great for bringing up a few problem areas. So if your goal is to only gain strength in these areas then go for it... but you are robbing the rest of your body.

I can raw squat 225 with one leg 6" forward of the other one, one foot pointed out, one in, knees in, head down, one hand on the bar..... or I can squat 700 with proper form.... which lift does more for me?