PDA

View Full Version : Does tuna have 30 grams of protein I dont think so

bigkevin20
06-13-2002, 03:58 PM
Every time read article about tuna it sais 1 can has 30 gram of protein but when I read my cans they all say 13 to 15 grams in a 6 once can. Some one clarify this please

nejar462
06-13-2002, 04:28 PM
2.5 servings per can, 15 grams per serving.

MRJ
06-13-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by nejar462
2.5 servings per can, 15 grams per serving.

The can says "2.5" servings, in actuality there are only "2". I weighed several and averaged them out.

Manveet
06-13-2002, 05:46 PM
my tuna has like 26g of protein per 100g of tuna. The can itself contains 170g of tuna.

the_hall
06-13-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by MRJ

The can says "2.5" servings, in actuality there are only "2". I weighed several and averaged them out.

that is wrong if they are doing that. what brand is this that is ripping people off? anyone who lies about how much food/protien is in thier product belongs in hell to be perfectly honest, its pathetic.

bigkevin20
06-13-2002, 11:04 PM
Thank you!!!!!!!!
I am so stupid i espect to eat a whole can never thought about the servings. I love tuna can I eat that all day along with 2 shakes for my protein. plus what ever meals i eat trying to keep them healthy. but I love tuna I can eat all the time

stantheman
06-14-2002, 07:01 AM
Gotta go with the chunky white albacore. I don't even think that pink crap is fish.

MRJ
06-14-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by the_hall

that is wrong if they are doing that. what brand is this that is ripping people off? anyone who lies about how much food/protien is in thier product belongs in hell to be perfectly honest, its pathetic.

I've checked 'em all and the practice is consistent between brands.

I'm guessing the measurement is by volume, includes a bit of the water, etc. and therefore is legally ok, but ethically of course not so much.

I've also noticed on many products in the "servings per container" comment the serving amounts are vaugue as in, "about 2.5" or something along those lines.

MRJ
06-14-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by bigkevin20
Thank you!!!!!!!!
I am so stupid i espect to eat a whole can never thought about the servings. I love tuna can I eat that all day along with 2 shakes for my protein. plus what ever meals i eat trying to keep them healthy. but I love tuna I can eat all the time

Eat up . . . ! If you like tuna that much.

But you would want to ensure you consume an appropriate amount of essential fats and carbs. as well.

Recall, balance is key to your success.

body
06-14-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by MRJ

I've checked 'em all and the practice is consistent between brands.

I'm guessing the measurement is by volume, includes a bit of the water, etc. and therefore is legally ok, but ethically of course not so much.

I've also noticed on many products in the "servings per container" comment the serving amounts are vaugue as in, "about 2.5" or something along those lines.

by laws if you have the nutrient dec on the product(not a legal requirment to have a nut dec) it has to included all the edible ingredients this will include the brine. as its your choice, not the manufacotrer on wether you drain your tuna. if it does not include the brine and you have a max salt intake for a day. you could exceed this level as a result and be ill and sue the company as a result.

it can say as many serving as it wants. but wht follow what a manufacturer suggest the volume of food you eat?
i never look at them. i eat by weight.
plus old people who foods with smaller appetites buy the product as well, not everyone eat like us with 6 meals a day.

body
06-14-2002, 12:27 PM
BTW i have wrote ingredients decs for products and work in the food industry. so if you want to know any more i can tell you plenty more on how labels can be misleading etc. though this is in the UK so american laws may be slightly different, but roughly the same.

MRJ
06-14-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by stantheman
Gotta go with the chunky white albacore. I don't even think that pink crap is fish.

There is another type "Tongol" which has all the benefits (taste, appearance, texture) of Albacore, but is about $0.75 less (or more) per can.

I consume it daily, as a part of my eating plan.

Tasty and cost effective.

What more do you want ?

MRJ
06-14-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by body
BTW i have wrote ingredients decs for products and work in the food industry. so if you want to know any more i can tell you plenty more on how labels can be misleading etc. though this is in the UK so american laws may be slightly different, but roughly the same.

A gracious offer . . .

Cheers, Mate !

nejar462
06-14-2002, 03:41 PM
They might consider some water as part of the serving. You probably drain it and then weigh it. Granted very unfair but they wil do wahtever they can to make themselves seem better.

the_hall
06-14-2002, 05:22 PM
i would love to sue the tuna companies, they definatley deserve it for lying about their product.

Saint Patrick
06-14-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by the_hall
i would love to sue the tuna companies, they definatley deserve it for lying about their product.

:withstupi

WannaBeStrong
06-20-2002, 08:35 AM
I weighed my tuna today.

Brand : StarKist Chunk Light in Water
Advertised Size : 6 oz (170g)
Serving Size: 2oz - "2.5" per can...or 5oz

Actual Drained Content: 3.9oz (very little tuna loss) so 4 oz.

Suggested content: 150 calories, 1.5g fat, 33g protein
Actual content : 120 calories, 1g fat, 26g protein

That's noteable enough.

body
06-20-2002, 03:05 PM
when you drian tuna, some of the tuna will have broken down and be lost on drianing.

some of the water also be leached from the fish.
technically its tuna, but the salt in the brine will leach it from the flesh (osmosis), so will be lost on drianing. you are actually wasting tuna.

not to include this tuna would also be lieing.

plus as i said before, the contents of the can is all edible weight.

WannaBeStrong
06-21-2002, 05:34 AM
The serving size says "2oz drained" with 2.5 servings. If you drain the tuna, there are not 2.5 servings. It shouldn't say "drained" if that is the case. It is misleading at the least.