PDA

View Full Version : ALLEN'S OFF SEASON Bodybuilding journal 2012-2013

Allen Cress
05-15-2012, 07:15 AM
It's been a while since I posted last. After my last contest on April 28th I took 2 weeks off training and diet to let me body and mind rest and relax from the 6 months of contest prep. If you read my contest journal you know I had a great showing at my last contest and looked the best I have ever looked. The best thing is I competed as a Heavyweight for the first time and placed 2nd, this is after not even finishing the contest 5 weeks prior as a middleweight. Since the contest I actually lost 5 lbs on my 2 weeks off and am starting my off season at 200 lbs.

One thing I want to say about that dramatic transformation and I have gotten this a lot is "what steroids did you take, how much more did you take, etc.." I don't like discussing anabolics on forums but to put this to rest I will only say this one time. I did NOT take an extra high dose of anything or some special steroid. I only changed my nutrition, training, and OTC supplements in that 5 weeks. Trust me I was as surprised as a lot of people when I gained 31 lbs, I thought it would be more like 10 lbs. But you never know how ones body will react to change.

Yesterday I started back training and will be training 6 days per week witha 2 week rotation. Here is the format:

Monday: QUADS

Tuesday: CHEST

Wednesday: DELTS

Thursday: BACK

Friday: ARMS

Saturday: LEGS

Sunday: OFF

Monday: CHEST/ABS

Tuesday: HAMSTRINGS/GLUTES/CALVES

Wednesday: DELTS

Thursday: QUADS

Friday: BACK

Saturday: ARMS

I am starting my diet at around 3800-4000 cal and will increase as needed.

yayeti
05-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Hey Allen,

How come you train each body part only once per week. Don't you only need like 72 hrs rest?

Allen Cress
05-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Hey Allen,

How come you train each body part only once per week. Don't you only need like 72 hrs rest?

It all depends on how the program is designed, the goal, etc... There is no one answer to how long a period is needed because volume, frequency, intensity, etc.. has to be taken into account as well.

Also I will be training 2 times a day on some days. The same bodypart.

POWERZN
05-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Seems like we're gitting on board for, again, an interresting ride
eric

Allen Cress
05-16-2012, 12:52 PM
With my program I am using various tempos for most exercices.

1) Smith machine military press 3 x 15, 12, 8
1st set: slow concentric, slow eccentric, peak contraction
2nd set: Semi explosive concentric, slow eccentric
3rd set: just controlled, all out

2) DB side laterals 3 x 12, 12, 8

3) Bent DB lateral 3 x 12, 10, 8

Giant set (all done back to back with no rest):
-DB SIDE LATERALS as heavy as possible, with power + BENT OVER REAR DELTS with same weight, then drop the weight and again SIDE LATERALS + REAR DELT LATERALS and one more time (triple drop)

-SEATED WIDE LATERAL/FRONT RAISES (hold dumbbells on sides then raise it in front and touch dumbbells at the high level just above your eyes) SUPER SLOW 10 REPS

-BARBELL OVER AND BACKS X 10 REPS

-MACHINE REAR DELT x 15 reps

-Smith Machine high incline MILITARY PRESSES (75 degrees): SLOW REPS x 10

-6 WAYS - just raise to side and to front and back to side (not raising above your head at all)

Allen Cress
05-20-2012, 08:37 AM
Warning, don't try this workout unless you ar at least an intermediate lifter.

ROTATION #1
HEAVY SQUATS, 8-12 REPS
HACK SQUATS, DROP SETS - total of 20 reps
DUMBBELL DEEP SIDE STEP UPS, 10 REPS
BARBELL ALTERNATE LUNGES, 10 REPS
BW SISSY SQUATS, 8-12 REPS [4,0,4,0]
WALKING LUNGES with BARBELL 20 LONG STEPS
WIDE STANCE BOXSQUATS, 10 REPS
SPLIT SQUAT , 8-12 REPS

ROTATION #2
REVERSE HYPEREXTENSIONS , 8-12 REPS
HEAVY LAYING LEG CURLS 6-8 REPS
STIFF LEG DEAD LIFTS for HAMSTRINGS, 10-12 REPs
ELEVATED LAYING LEG CURLS 8-10 REPS + LAYING LEG CURLS with KNEES/FEET CLOSE TOGETHER
STIFF LEG DEAD LIFTS for GLUTES X 10-12
BW HAMSTRINGS curls as many as possible

ROTATION #3
LEG EXTENSIONS, 20 REPS
HEAVY SQUATS, 10 REPS
SPLIT SQUAT, 8-12 REPS
WALKING LUNGES with DUMBBELLS MINIMUM 30 OMNI STEPS (short/medium/long/side...)
SMITH MACHINE SQUAT, 10 REPS
FRONT BARBELL SQUAT, 10 REPS
DUMBBELL STEP UPS, 10 REPS

yayeti
05-24-2012, 11:04 AM
What do you change in stiff legged deadlifts to target hams vs glutes?

And I was wondering how many working sets you did per bodypart while dieting and how thats changed now that you are bulking.

Allen Cress
05-25-2012, 08:48 AM
What do you change in stiff legged deadlifts to target hams vs glutes?

And I was wondering how many working sets you did per bodypart while dieting and how thats changed now that you are bulking.

To emphasize Hams I elevate my feet by putting balls of my feet on 10lb plates and only come of 3/4 of the way, for glutes I stand a bit wider and only go down to just below knee and flex hard at top.

I don't recall how many sets I did when I was dieting but I don't change it just because I'm dieting. I only change it if it needs it.

Allen Cress
05-30-2012, 05:02 AM
Flat DB Press 3 x 10, 8, 6
Incline BB press 3 x 10, 8, 4 w/2 forced reps
DB flat fly 3 x 10
Dips 2 x max

1 Rotation

-Incline BB press x 8-12, drop 50% weight and do as many super slow reps as possible
-Flat DB Fly + Flat BB Press x 8 + 8
-Wide grip decline BB press x 20-30 fast reps
-Incline fly + Presses x 6-10
-Pec Deck x 10-15 slow reps, flexing each rep
-Chest press machine; slow eccentric, pause at bottom, slow concentric.

yayeti
05-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Hey Allen whats your diet look like now? Are you using any supplements?

Allen Cress
05-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Hey Allen whats your diet look like now? Are you using any supplements?

My calories are around 4000. 380g protein, 490g carbs, 50g fat. I use EAA's, BCAA's, protein powder, Vitargo, and a few other amino acids. All the amino acids are used in my pre, intra, and post-workout shakes.

Allen Cress
06-07-2012, 06:52 AM
-CHIN-UPS: 3 sets MAX
3 different grips (narrow, medium, wide)

-BENT-OVER ROWS: 3 sets x 12, 10, 8

-DEADLIFTS: 3 sets x 10, 8, 6

1 GIANT SET ROTATION:

-WIDE GRIP PULL-UPS x max
-BARBELL BENT OVER ROWS (with wide grip, pulling to waist) 10-12 reps
-LAT PULLDOWNS (wide grip in front + close grip; 8-10 reps each)
-PARTIAL DEAD LIFTS (for lats - elbows out) 8-10 reps + BARBELL SHRUGS 20 fast reps
-REVERSE GRIP BENT OVER ROWS X 6-10 reps
-DEAD LIFT (with same weight as previous exercise) 6-10 reps
-BILATERAL LOW PULLEY CABLE ROWS x 12-15 reps

POWERZN
06-08-2012, 01:27 AM
Allen, seems that you introduced the giant set rotations, looks hard to me but isn't this difficult to perform in a public gym, even when you're the gymowner ? eric

Allen Cress
06-08-2012, 04:38 AM
Allen, seems that you introduced the giant set rotations, looks hard to me but isn't this difficult to perform in a public gym, even when you're the gymowner ? eric

Not really. I usually set the rotation up in a manner where I can do it all in one area. Also if someone was to jump on a machine I needed while I was doing my giant set I would just sub in a similar movement since the goal is no rest.

Allen Cress
06-13-2012, 10:50 AM
In 2 weeks I will be starting my gaining phase of the off season. I have been in maintenance mode with diet since my contest and have maintained 205 lbs. I have been hitting the gym hard the last 5 weeks doing a lot of volume and training 6 days a week. I want everything to be fresh when I start my next phase so I will be training 4 days a week and cutting down on volume. I will be doing quad-plexes and training everything 2 times per week, but only 3 exercises each time and they will be paired with other muscle groups.

For example when I train chest on Tues it will be compound movements and when I train it again on Friday it will be isolation or unloaded exercises like flys or pushups.

Here is what Yesterday looke like:

Quad-Plex #1
1a) DB Incline Press 5 Xs 6-8
1b) Recline Pull Ups 5 Xs 10-15
1c) Barbell Bicep Curls 5 Xs 8-10
1d) Weighted Rope Crunches 5 Xs 12-M

Quad-Plex #2
2a) DB Flat Bench Press 4 Xs 8-10
2b) Wide grip Pulldowns 4 Xs 10-15
2c) High Pulley Concentration Curls 4 Xs 10-12
2d) SB Leg Raises or Hanging Leg Raises 4 Xs 12-M

Quad-Plex #3
3a) Hammer Strength Press 3 Xs 10-12
3b) DB Straight Arm Pullovers 3 Xs 12-15
3c) Alt. DB Hammer Curls 3 Xs 10-12 EA
3d) Alt. Knee to Elbow Crunch on Bosu 3 Xs 12-M

yayeti
06-22-2012, 08:20 AM
Hey allen, I was reading your other journal and in it you chose to increase the amount of carbs you had during your refeed to lose more weight. How does eating more make you lose more weight?

Allen Cress
06-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Hey allen, I was reading your other journal and in it you chose to increase the amount of carbs you had during your refeed to lose more weight. How does eating more make you lose more weight?

If you're body gets into a deeper compensation state you will require more calories to upregulate metabolism.

yayeti
06-24-2012, 09:32 AM
I see, makes sense. It must take a while to be able to intuitively know what your body needs like that. Hey kind of steady state cardio has been the most beneficial for you when you are cutting?

Allen Cress
06-24-2012, 11:22 AM
I see, makes sense. It must take a while to be able to intuitively know what your body needs like that. Hey kind of steady state cardio has been the most beneficial for you when you are cutting?

Steady state cardio is only used to burn calories, it doesn't help to increase metabolism so it doesn't matter what kind you do, bike, treadmill, etc...

Allen Cress
06-27-2012, 04:23 AM
After tapering my volume for 2 weeks I have started my gaining phase. I will be training 6 days a week and doing 2 a days every other week. I have increased my calories from 3000 to about 3700 and will adjust accordingly along the way. My current weight is 205 lbs and over the next 4 months am looking to get up to 220-225 and stay fairly lean.

Legs

1) Squats 5 x 15, 12, 10, 8, 6

2) Leg press 3 x 20, 15, 10

3) Hack squat (feet wide and low) 3 x 12

Giant set
Hammer Power squats x 12
Alternating BB lunges x 10
Sissy squats on Hack squat machine x 8 (4 sec up and down)
Walking lunges, omni steps x 20 steps
Leg extensions: 2 sec flex x 15 reps

Allen Cress
07-01-2012, 07:16 PM
I have put on 4 lbs this first week and am up to 210 lbs. Calories are at 4000 and training 6 days a week.

Back

-Partial deadlifts 3 x 12, 10, 6

2 sets of each circuit
1a) Vbar pulldown
1b) Wide paralell pulldown
1c) Wide pulldown
1d) Behind neck pulldown

2a) Smith machine bent row
2b) Smith m. deadlift
2c) Smith m. Shrugs
2d) T bar rows

Allen Cress
07-11-2012, 04:55 AM
Machine Chest press w/Neutral grip 4 x 12, 10, 8, 6
Incline BB press 3 x 8-10

1a) Incline cable fly 3 x 10
1b) Incline DB press 3 x 10
1c) Cable crossover (leaning forward and come high with cables) 3 x 10

2a) Pec deck 3 x 12
2b) Hammer strength flat press 3 x 10 (explosive)
2c) Cable crossover 3 x 12

Allen Cress
07-13-2012, 08:38 PM
I'm 3 weeks into my gaining phase and my weight is up to 214 lbs first thing in the morning. Abs are still showing and keeping fat off my back where I store the most. I am eatinmg 6 times a day along with my Pre, intra, and post-workout shakes where I take in 200g carbs between the 3. 3 of my regular meals are Protein and Carbs and the other 3 are Protein & Fat meals. I have attached a current pic.

Legs

ROTATION #1
HEAVY SQUATS, 8-12 REPS
DUMBBELL DEEP SIDE STEP UPS, 10 REPS
BW SISSY SQUATS, 8-12 REPS [4,0,4,0]
WIDE STANCE BOXSQUATS, 10 REPS
SPLIT SQUAT , 8-12 REPS

ROTATION #2
HEAVY LAYING LEG CURLS 6-8 REPS
STIFF LEG DEAD LIFTS for HAMSTRINGS, 10-12 REPs
ELEVATED LAYING LEG CURLS 8-10 REPS + LAYING LEG CURLS with KNEES/FEET CLOSE TOGETHER
STIFF LEG DEAD LIFTS for GLUTES X 10-12
BW HAMSTRINGS curls as many as possible

ROTATION #3
LEG EXTENSIONS, 20 REPS
HEAVY SQUATS, 10 REPS
SPLIT SQUAT, 8-12 REPS
WALKING LUNGES with DUMBBELLS MINIMUM 30 OMNI STEPS (short/medium/long/side...)
SMITH MACHINE SQUAT, 10 REPS
DUMBBELL STEP UPS, 10 REPS

POWERZN
07-14-2012, 01:11 AM
Allen, do you rotate the carb-protein meals with the protein-fat meals or is the order of the meals not important ?
Do you keep adding calories until the fat starts coming, lower a bit calories and stay on that number or do you go for a certain amount of pounds like 235 and try to stay on that weight trying to get leaner over time ?
eric

Allen Cress
07-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Allen, do you rotate the carb-protein meals with the protein-fat meals or is the order of the meals not important ?
Do you keep adding calories until the fat starts coming, lower a bit calories and stay on that number or do you go for a certain amount of pounds like 235 and try to stay on that weight trying to get leaner over time ?
eric

I usually alternate P/F meals and P/C meals, but its not that important.

I will continue to gain as long as I can stay fairly lean. I go by the mirror more than the scale. I would like to get to about 225 or so with abs still showing, but we'll see what happens. At the point I start gaining more fat I will just maintain that weight for 3-4 months.

POWERZN
07-14-2012, 09:24 AM
Seems like the man with a plan, eric

POWERZN
07-15-2012, 06:31 AM
Allen, I was wondering if you eat 3 carb - protein meals and 3 fat - protein meals, what are the ratio's of your diet in %, like 40 - 30 - 30 or 50 - 30 - 20 ?
Can you also give a exemple of a protein - fat meal, does it have to be good or bad fats, and can you go on lower calories than normal as a cause of the slower digestion of fats ?
ERIC

Allen Cress
07-15-2012, 08:15 AM
Allen, I was wondering if you eat 3 carb - protein meals and 3 fat - protein meals, what are the ratio's of your diet in %, like 40 - 30 - 30 or 50 - 30 - 20 ?
Can you also give a exemple of a protein - fat meal, does it have to be good or bad fats, and can you go on lower calories than normal as a cause of the slower digestion of fats ?
ERIC

I honestly have no idea what the ratio breakdown is. I just know how many grams of each I'm taking in. I've gotten away from the whole ratio thing. The simpler the better.

Always good fats: natural nut butters, macadamia nut oil, extra virgin olive oil, organic whole eggs, fish oil. I mix them up each day.

The addition of extra good fats (on top of whats naturally in the food I already eat) is for added calories and the health benefits associated with good fats. Just because it digests slower doesn't mean you can get by with less calories, especially when trying to gain muscle.

POWERZN
07-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Lately I see people almond butter adding to their diet, do you think it's only for hardgainers with a good metabolism or can anyone use it for small amounts like adding to oatmeal with protein ? ERIC

Allen Cress
07-16-2012, 06:01 AM
Lately I see people almond butter adding to their diet, do you think it's only for hardgainers with a good metabolism or can anyone use it for small amounts like adding to oatmeal with protein ? ERIC

It all depends on how your body processes fats. Some can have a good amount of fats and carbs in same meal, others like myself do better when fats are eaten without carbs. But adding like 1/2to 1 tbsp almond butter to oatmeal woudn't hurt ya. Certain foods are not just for people with fast metabolisms , it just depends on if your body utilizes carbs or fats more efficinetly (or both)

Allen Cress
07-19-2012, 08:56 AM
- Flat DB press 4 x 12, 10, 8, 6
- Incline DB press 3 x 8-10
-Neutral grip machine press 3 x 15-20
- Cable fly 3 x 15

Quad Blast x 3 rounds

Squats x 25
Alt Lunges x 10 each
Split jumps x 10 each
Squat Jumps x 10

NITF
07-21-2012, 07:08 AM
Allen, how do you select what amounts of weight you put up for these sessions?

Allen Cress
07-23-2012, 06:03 AM
Allen, how do you select what amounts of weight you put up for these sessions?

I use whatever weight is challenging for the rep scheme.

Allen Cress
07-28-2012, 10:21 PM
1) T bar row 4 x 10-12
2) Wide grip seated cable row 4 x 12
3) Close grip pulldown 3 x 10-12
4) Deadlifts 3 x 8-10
5) One arm hammer strength low row 3 x 10-15

6a) TRX Bicycles 3 x 15-20 each side
6b) TRX Hip pop ups 3 x 15-20
6c) One leg deadlift 3 x 15

Allen Cress
08-03-2012, 04:58 AM
My weight is sitting at 217 lbs this morning. Looking to get up to 220-225 and staying this lean.

1) Leg ext. 5 x 15-20
2) Hammer Power Squat 3 x 12-15
3) Horizontal leg press 3 x 15 (10 regular reps, then 5 rest/pause)
4) Seated leg curl 3 x 10-12
5) Wide stance stiff leg deadlift (glute focus) 3 x 15
6) Standing one leg curl 2 x 10-12 (only 30 sec rest between sets)

Allen Cress
08-09-2012, 02:37 PM
1) Smith machine military press 1 x 12-15, 3 x 6-8
2) Cable bent lateral 3 x 15
3) Cable side lateral 3 x 15
4) Seated alternating front raise across body 3 x 12
5) Standing side lateral: drop set 10 reps power, 10 reps normal tempo, 10 reps slow

Allen Cress
08-14-2012, 08:18 AM
I have been maintaining 216 lbs for the last 5-6 weeks. Over the next 5 weeks I will be increasing calories, mainly from carbs, and try to push to get to a solid 220 lbs with minimal, if any, fat gain.

I will be increasing the carbs mainly from my pre, intra, and post workout shakes. 3 days a week I will be training 2 times per day, which will give me 2 anabolic windows.

I will be training 6 days per week for this time period with basically the same split I was doing before except I seperated Hamstrings and Quads. Now you can't obviously truly isolate one from the other except on leg curl & extension machines but my hams are one of my weak points so this will allow my to focus just on them one day while getting some extra work on them on my Quad day since they will be assisting quads in some lifts.

POWERZN
08-15-2012, 02:28 AM
Allen, what kind of source do your carbs come from during the training, or do you use
a ready to drink solution from a certain brand ?
The carbs you use after training are they from a food source or also a supplement and do these products also contain wey or other protein ? eric

Allen Cress
08-15-2012, 06:05 AM
Allen, what kind of source do your carbs come from during the training, or do you use
a ready to drink solution from a certain brand ?
The carbs you use after training are they from a food source or also a supplement and do these products also contain wey or other protein ? eric

My pre and intra workout carbs are from Vitargo by GenrX mixed with my specific amino acid mix. I have found this to be the best quality and it doesn't cause stomach bloat or other issues.

After workout I have 50g of whey isolate and some food source like blueberries, natural cereal, or even rice.

Allen Cress
08-20-2012, 08:14 AM
This is a very advanced program. I have a very high workload capacity and can handle a lot of volume, but I also am 100% on my nutrition, get ART done weekly, deep massage every 2 weeks, and plenty of rest with the occassional nap during the day so my recovery is high.

This is a 2 week rotation:

WEEK 1

Monday: AM - BACK ; PM REAR DELTS/TRAPS

Tuesday: AM CHEST ; PM FRONT/SIDE DELTS

Wednesday: AM QUADS; PM - HAMSTRINGS

Thursday: AM BACK (giant sets); PM BICEPS

Friday: AM TRICEPS ; PM - CHEST

Saturday: AM: DELTS (giant sets)

WEEK 2

Monday: PM: LEGS (giant sets)/CALVES

Tuesday: BACK

Wednesday: AM CHEST ; PM DELTS (giant sets)

Thursday: ARMS (giant sets)

Friday: - QUADS (giant sets) CALVES, ABS

Saturday: giant sets of CHEST and BACK together

Allen Cress
08-24-2012, 06:22 AM
Back

1st ROTATION:

DUMBBELL PULLOVER WITH STRAIGHT ARMS 10 12 reps [3,1,3,0]

LOW PULLEY CABLE ROWS (narrow grip, pulling to stomach) [3,0,1,3]

INCLINE BENCH HIGH PULLEY LAT PULLDOWNS (narrow grip, peak contraction on the bottom for 2 seconds)

INCLINE BENCH DUMBBELL ROWS + WIDE BARBELL ROWS to the neck [2 sec flex]

HIGH PULLEY STANDING WIDE PULLOVERS 10 12 reps [slow]

LOW PULLEY STANDING/LEANING ROPE ROWS 10 reps

MACHINE ROWS light 20 25 reps

2nd ROTATION:

HEAVY LAT PULLDOWNS (wide grip, in front, followed by light behind head+ close grip; 8-10 reps each [slow])

DUMBBELL PULLOVER WITH STRAIGHT ARMS 8-10 reps [slow]

HEAVY DUMBBELL ROWS (triple drop) [power]

INCLINE BENCH LAT PULLDOWNS (wide grip, peak contraction on the bottom for 2 seconds)

INCLINE BENCH DUMBBELL ROWS + SHRUGS

LOW PULLEY CABLE ROWS (wide grip, pulling to lower chest) [3 sec flex]

WIDE GRIP DEAD LIFTS FOR LATS + SHRUGS ON MACHINE [2 sec flex]

3rd ROTATION:

LAT PULL-UPS (narrow grip, squeeze at the top, slow eccentric)

LAT PULLDOWNS SLOW (wide grip behind the neck, followed by in front + reverse grip; 8-10 reps each)

HEAVY LOW PULLEY CABLE ROWS (triple drop)

BARBELL BENT OVER ROWS (with wide grip, pulling to chest)

DEAD LIFT (with same weight as previous exercise)

LEANING ON THE WALL DUMBBELL ROWS

SMITH MACHINE ROWS (reverse grip, pulling to stomach)

4th ROTATION:

LAT WIDE GRIP PULL-UPS [4,0,x,2]

BARBELL BENT OVER ROWS (with wide grip, pulling to waist) [2 sec flex]

LAT PULLDOWNS (close grip; 8-10 reps)

PARTIAL DEAD LIFTS (for lats - elbows out) 8-10 reps + BARBELL SHRUGS 20 reps

BARBELL BENT OVER ROWS (with reverse grip, pulling to stomach) [slow]

BILATERAL LOW PULLEY CABLE ROWS (pulling to the stomach)

Biceps

Straight sets

PREACHER E-Z BAR CURL: 3 SETS (12, 10, 8 reps)

DUMMBELL CONCENTRATION CURLS: 3 SETS (12, 10, 8 reps)

1st ROTATION:

HEAVY BARBELL CURLS - 6-12 REPS

PREACHER CABLE CURLS 8-10 REPS

STANDING E-Z BAR REVERSE CURLS 6-12 REPS

INCLINE DUMBBELL ALTERNATE CURLS 6-8 REPS [2 sec flex]

INCLINE BENCH E-Z BAR CURLS 8-12 REPS [2 sec flex]

2nd ROTATION:

HEAVY DUMBBELL SUPINATED CURLS (triple drop, descending set with 3 different weights 6-10 REPS with each weight)

WIDE GRIP BARBELL CURLS 8-10 REPS

REVERSE E-Z CURLS 8-12 REPS

DUMBBELL HAMMER CURLS 6-8 REPS

MACHINE BICEPS CURLS - 12-15 REPS

DUMBBELL CONCENTRATION CURLS - 8 REPS

3rd ROTATION:

LOW PULLEY CABLE wide grip EZ-CURLS 21s [7 reps down-half, 7 reps half-up, 7 reps all the way]

PREACHER EZ-CURLS 6-12 REPS, slow eccentric, pause on the bottom, slow concentric with peak contraction

DUMBBELL HAMMER CURLS 8-10 REPS

SEATED E-Z BAR CURLS 6-12 REPS [2 sec pause, 2 sec flex]

UPSIDE DOWN HIGH PULLEY CABLE CURLS - 10-15 REPS

DUMBBELL CONCENTRATION CURLS - 8 REPS [2,1,2,1]

POWERZN
08-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Allen, what made you decide to work out in all those different tempo's ?
I don't see much explosif moves any more in your training, is it temporary or are you planning to train this way the whole off season ? Altough it seems to me that the weights will be lower and the concentration on the movement higer, it's not like before pick a weight and explode on it but much more focus on the execution of the movements. I think it's more bodypart target training, anyway it will be interesting to see how it goes from here, eric

Allen Cress
08-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Allen, what made you decide to work out in all those different tempo's ?
I don't see much explosif moves any more in your training, is it temporary or are you planning to train this way the whole off season ? Altough it seems to me that the weights will be lower and the concentration on the movement higer, it's not like before pick a weight and explode on it but much more focus on the execution of the movements. I think it's more bodypart target training, anyway it will be interesting to see how it goes from here, eric

The tempo is used to just use fcous on the muscle and contract and stimulate every muscle fiber for that bodypart. I do use explosive tempo every single workout. when i say heavy by am exercise I use power and explode the weight up.

I have made more improvements in muscle size and density with this type of training and it keeps my joints healthy. This is the best my physique has looked and the leanest I have ever been at my current weight, 221 lbs. I still have until may of next year before i start contest prep then after my next show I will be doing a National contest so I got to add as much "quality" size as possible for that level. So far the game plan is working even better than expected.

Allen Cress
08-27-2012, 12:07 PM
ROTATION #1

HEAVY SQUATS, 8-12 REPS

SISSY SQUATS, 8-12 REPS [4,0,4,0]

WIDE STANCE BOX SQUATS, 10 REPS [2 sec pause on box]

ROTATION #2

HEAVY LAYING LEG CURLS 6-8 REPS [3 sec flex]

STIFF LEG DEAD LIFTS for HAMSTRINGS, 10-12 REPS

ELEVATED LAYING LEG CURLS 8-10 REPS [slow with 2 sec flex]

LAYING LEG CURLS with KNEES/FEET TOGETHER [3 sec flex]

WIDE STANCE STIFF LEG DEAD LIFTS for GLUTES

SEATED LEG CURLS [slow with 3 sec flex]

ROTATION #3

LEG EXTENSIONS, 20 REPS, [2 sec flex]

HEAVY SQUATS, 10 REPS

SPLIT SQUAT REAR FOOT ELEVATED with DUMBBELLS, 8-12 REPS [slow]

WALKING LUNGES with DUMBBELLS 30 OMNI STEPS (short/medium/long/side...)

SMITH MACHINE SQUAT, 10 REPS [slow]

GIANT SETS FOR CALVES

1st ROTATION:

HEAVY STANDING CALF RAISES (descending triple-drop set with 3 different weights)

SEATED CALF RAISES (ascending set with 3 different weights)

LEG PRESS MACHINE CALF RAISES

2nd ROTATION

HEAVY SEATED CALF RAISES (triple drop)

LIGHT (SUPER SLOW) STANDING CALF RAISES (descending triple-drop set with 3 different weights)

DONKEY CALF RAISES

3rd ROTATION:

HEAVY DONKEY CALF RAISES

LEG-PRESS CALF RAISES

STANDING (FAST REPS) CALF RAISES

POWERZN
08-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Allen, what is the deal with the rotations, is it in your opinion more productive or what exactly are you getting out of it ?
And again, like I said before, not always possible in public gyms, eric

Allen Cress
08-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Allen, what is the deal with the rotations, is it in your opinion more productive or what exactly are you getting out of it ?
And again, like I said before, not always possible in public gyms, eric

Giant sets are used to stimulate every fiber of the muscle with variation in angle and tempo as well as induce Hypermia which will deliver the amino acids and carbs I take in during the workouts straight to the muscle. Is itn't the be all end all, No program is, but it definitley has its place in hypertrophy. Myself and many of my competitors are seeing great results.

Giant sets can be done you just have to be prepared to sub in an exercise if a machine gets taken. I do it all the time in a very public athletic club.

Allen Cress
08-31-2012, 06:07 AM
SEATED BARBELL PRESS:

1st set: 15 controlled reps (slow eccentric, NO pause on the bottom, fast concentric)

2nd set: 10-12 reps (controlled eccentric, explosive concentric)

3rd set: 6-8 reps (all out with forced reps)

UNILATERAL (ONE ARM) LOW PULLEY CABLE SIDE LATERALS:

1st set: 10-12 controlled reps (slow eccentric, slow concentric, peak contraction at the top)

2nd set: 8-10 reps (controlled eccentric, explosive concentric, peak contraction at the top)

3rd set: 8 reps

GIANT SETS

1st Rotation

-DUMBBELL SIDE LATERALS with power + BENT OVER REAR DELTS with same weight, then triple drop

-SEATED WIDE LATERAL/FRONT RAISES (hold dumbbells on sides than raise it in front and touch dumbbells at the high level just above your eyes) SLOW 10 REPS

-BARBELL OVER & BACKS X 10

-MACHINE REAR DELT

-Smith Machine high incline MILITARY PRESSES (75 degrees or more) - slow, drop set (3 different weights)

-6 WAYS

2nd ROTATION:

Smith Machine Press (slow, triple drop: 3 plates, than 2 plates, than 1 plate) - 6 to 10 reps each...5 seconds down, 3 seconds up

Low Pulley cable side deltoids (slow,...8-12 reps total) then rear delts, (in bent over position) and last front raises (same 8 12 reps)

HEAVY REAR DELTS - drop set....first very heavy dumbbells with POWER, than half the weight with SQUEEZE

WIDE GRIP UPRIGHT ROWS (elbows pointing up) superset with NARROW GRIP UPRIGHT ROWS

6 WAYS : pause for 2 seconds in each position

3rd ROTATION:

Low pulley cable rear delts + side delts - both exercises very slow, focus on over stretching and squeezing at the top.

SEATED DUMBBELL PRESS - triple drop (3 different weights, first dumbbell HEAVY with POWER, second moderate and SLOW, third LIGHT and super slow 8 to 12 reps each)

Now ascending side lateral set LIGHT dumbbell 10 slow reps, MODERATE dumbbell 8-10moderately slow reps, control on the way down and HEAVY dumbbell - with POWER, 6 -10 reps and your set is not finishes but you go back down to MODERATE (6-8 reps) and finally LIGHT (slow 8-10 reps)

INCLINE BENCH REAR DELTS - 10

STANDING dumbbell shrugs:10 reps holding on side and 10 reps holding in front

Allen Cress
09-04-2012, 07:06 AM
DB or BB BENCH PRESS: 3 SETS (15, 12 warm ups + 10, 8, 6 Reps)
1st: controlled eccentric with semi-explosive concentric 10 reps
2nd: all out 8 power reps
3rd: all out

INCLINE PRESS: 3 SETS (10, 8, 6-8 Reps)
1st: controlled eccentric with pause and slow concentric 10 reps
2nd: all out 8 power reps
3rd: all out

GIANT SETS FOR CHEST

1st ROTATION

-BARBELL BENCH PRESS (squeezing up) 8 - 12 reps
-INCLINE DUMBBELL FLYES + PRESSES (normal speed, 8 + 8 reps)
-WIDE GRIP DECLINE BB PRESS 10 reps
-DECLINE BENCH "AROUND THE WORLD'S" (light) 15 - 20 reps
-CABLE CROSSOVER (flex for 2 seconds, Make sure chest is up) 8 - 12 reps
-CHEST MACHINE PRESS (light, fast...25-30 reps...with chest up)

2nd ROTATION

-SLOW INCLINE BARBELL PRESS (3 seconds pause on the bottom, followed by squeezing up rather than pushing with power...), DROP SET ( 8 + 8 reps )
-BARBELL BENCH PRESS (5 sec negative) 8 - 10 reps
-CABLE CROSSOVERS (wide, complete stretch, elbows pointing up and flex 3 sec) 10 - 15 reps
-DECLINE BENCH "AROUND THE WORLD'S" 10 - 15 reps
-FLAT BENCH FLYES (slow, pause on the bottom, squeezing slowly on the way up, going into 2 sec peak contraction = 8 -10 reps) + immediately light barbell press to the neck (10-15 reps)

3rd ROTATION

-SMITH MACHINE INCLINE PRESS (with power...not squeezing) 8 - 12 reps, drop 50 % of the weight and then as many slow reps as possible
-FLAT BENCH DUMBBELL FLYES - drop set (10 + 10 reps)
-WIDE GRIP DECLINE BARBELL PRESS (light weight, 20-30 fast reps)
-INCLINE BENCH CABLE FLY (slow, squeezing at the top for 2 seconds)
-INCLINE BENCH DUMBBELL PRESSES (6-10 REPS with normal speed and power)
-TUBING FLY - slow, squeezing; 10 - 15 reps
-CHEST MACHINE PRESS (chest up, super slow on the way down, pause and squeeze on the way up... NO power!) 6 -10 reps

POWERZN
09-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Allen, this program is all about flexing, squeezing, holding for time, time under tension, drops and tempo changes all done with well known normal exercises.
I've tried a few workouts myself last week and I must say you definitly know what muscle you trained the day before, not some heavy pulling and throwing but very isolated method of training. Looks very promising and hope you can boost your off-season muscle growth with this kind of training, eric

Allen Cress
09-06-2012, 12:14 PM
1) Lying leg curl 3 x 10, 1 x 10 + 20 partials

2) Leg press 3 x 15, 1 x triple drop set

3) Standing leg curl 3 x 15

4) Squats 1 x 15, 1 x 12, 1 x 20, 1 x 18 with 295 lbs

Ham Giant set
- Stiff leg deadlifts for glutes x 12
- Leg curl [slow] x 10 with 1 sec flex
- SB Leg curl x 15
- Stiff leg deadlift for Hams x 12
- Reverse Hypers x 15

Quad Giant set
- Leg extension[slow] x 20 with 2 sec flex
- Leg press [feet low, slow tempo] x 15
- Sissy squats x 10 (very slow)
- Hack squats with wide stance x 10 [3 sec up, 3 sec down]
- Hack squats narrow stance x 10 [3 sec up, 3 sec down]

Allen Cress
09-25-2012, 08:16 AM
I just got back from my vacation. I hadn't taken anytime off since April and my body needed it. I took a total of 6 days off, no weights and not set diet. I just relaxed and didn't think and ate pretty freely, although I never eat junk.

I ended up losing 6 lbs on vacation, which is typical for myself. I started back training yesterday and scaled things back to training each bodypart once per week and cut all Giant sets. I am doing a 6 day split:

1) Hams, traps, calves
2) Chest, core
3) Delts
4) Quads
5) Back
6) Arms
7) Day off

POWERZN
09-25-2012, 01:55 PM
Good hearing from you again, maybe you were injured, but vacation is better of course.
Hope you will be posting some of the new workouts you are planning to do.
Looks like you will be doing each musclegroup once a week, or will you be doing
loading and unloading circuits, so doing every muscle twice a week ? Eric

Allen Cress
09-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Good hearing from you again, maybe you were injured, but vacation is better of course.
Hope you will be posting some of the new workouts you are planning to do.
Looks like you will be doing each musclegroup once a week, or will you be doing
loading and unloading circuits, so doing every muscle twice a week ? Eric

No injuries, body just needed a break. No circuits just straight sets, supersets, and drop sets

yayeti
09-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Hey Allen Im really enjoying following your workouts. What does your diet look like right now?

Allen Cress
09-26-2012, 04:09 AM
Hey Allen Im really enjoying following your workouts. What does your diet look like right now?

1) 2 cups egg whites, 75g quinoa, 1/2 tbsp peanut butter

2) 220g chicken, 250g potato, 3 fish oil

3) homemade protein bar (50p, 50c, 10f)

4) 220g chicken, 1.5 cup rice

5)Pre-workout: 35g vitargo, amino acids, etc..
Intra-workout: 70g vitargo, amino acids
Post-workout: 50g whey, 50g carbs from fruit & cereal

6) 220g chicken, 250g potato

7) 2 cups egg whites, 3 slices ezikiel bread, 2 slices turkey bacon, 1/2 tbsp peanut butter

Coke
09-29-2012, 03:28 AM
Very nice with the new 6 day training split, liking the diet as well.

I'm all ears if you care to share your homemade bar(s) or your source on making them...buying 'em is cool but looking to start experimenting and making them myself.

Allen Cress
10-01-2012, 04:27 AM
Very nice with the new 6 day training split, liking the diet as well.

I'm all ears if you care to share your homemade bar(s) or your source on making them...buying 'em is cool but looking to start experimenting and making them myself.

The bars is made from whey protein, PB2, oatmeal, ground flaxseed, cinnamon, nutmeg. I'm not 100% sure on the measurments for the recipe as my fiance makes them for our buisness. We own a Fit-Fresh-Food prep company where we prepare balanced healthy meals with the breakdown of pro, carbs, and fats in each serving and use minimal ingerdients. Things like quiche, lasagna, meatloaf, muffins, etc..

If I can remember I'll get the recipe and post it

Allen Cress
10-01-2012, 05:20 AM
1) Lying leg curl 6 x 8-15
2) Standing one legged curls 4 x 10-12
3) Seated Leg curl 4 x 12-15
4) Stiff legged deadlifts (from floor to top of knees) 4 x 15

5) BB shrugs 5 x 10-15

6) Standing calf raise 4 x 20
7) Seated calf raise 4 x 15

Coke
10-02-2012, 07:15 PM
If I can remember I'll get the recipe and post it

Please do Allen.

Awesome about your food prep company, wish you much success with that!

Allen Cress
10-03-2012, 04:04 AM
1) Flat BB press 3 x 12, 10, 8; 3 x 5
2) Incline BB press 4 x 8-10
3) Seated cable fly 4 x 8-10
4) Flat DB press (feet on bench) 4 x 8-10
5) Cable crossover 3 x 12-15

yayeti
10-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Hey Allen do you do straight sets or pyramid?

Allen Cress
10-05-2012, 04:21 AM
Hey Allen do you do straight sets or pyramid?

It varies. On strength or structural based exercises I do straight sets keeping weight the same for all sets. If I have a rep range I will either pyramid the weight or stay at the high or low end depending on how I feel that day

Allen Cress
10-08-2012, 05:31 AM
1) Bent BB row 6 x 6-10
2) Seated cable row 4 x 8-10
3) One arm Pulldown 4 x 12
4) Top half deadlift 4 x 10-12
5) Behind neck Pulldown 3 x 12-15

Allen Cress
10-12-2012, 04:49 AM
1) Seated side lateral 6 x 6-12
2) Heavy swing front raises 4 x 6-8
3) Smith machine press 4 x 8-10
4) One arm cable side lateral 4 x 12
5) Rear delt machine 4 x 12-15

Allen Cress
10-12-2012, 04:51 AM
1) Leg press 6 x 8-15
2) Walking Lunges 4 x 10 EL
3) Horizontal leg press 4 x 12-15
4) Leg ext. 4 x 10
5) Adductor/Abductor superset 3 x 15-20

Allen Cress
10-22-2012, 02:44 PM
1) Seated leg curl 5 x 15-20
2) Lying leg curl 4 x 12-15
3) Standing one leg curls 4 x 10-12
4) Good mornings 3 x 10-12

5) BB shrugs 6 x 8-10

6) Leg press calf raise 4 x 15
7) Seated raise 4 x 15-20

Allen Cress
10-26-2012, 05:42 AM
1) Pull ups 5 x 6-15
2) 1 arm DB row on Incline bench 4 x 6-8
3) Top end deadlifts 4 x 8-10
4) Bent rows in SM 4 x 10-12
5) Hammer S. Low row 3 x 8-10

Allen Cress
10-31-2012, 01:25 PM
After a 5 month gaining phase My morning weight has been at 220 lbs for last 3-4 weeks. At this point I will stay here for the next few months to let my body adjust to the new weight and it will make it easier to maintain. There always comes a point of diminishing returns when gaining weight and if you push too hard you will cause a lot of stress on the body whether its your joints or health in general.

I started having tendonitis in my elbows and after talking to my ART guy he said it was due to the extra weight and my body hadn't adjusted to it yet. I won't start dieting for my next contest until April of next year so i will probably do one more 6-8 week gaining phase before then to try and hit 225 lbs at the level of leaness I'm at right now.

My current macros are 350g protein, 400g carbs, 40g fat.

Coke
11-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Smart thing to do right now, maintain what you've gained during this phase, you can always make further gains later on. Liking the split, this is something I plan to adopt, at least in part. Time is the key though, but I do like the idea of splitting the body up more...less luxury of skipping a session with a 6 day plan, lol.

Allen Cress
11-08-2012, 02:38 PM
My fiance and I are heading to Atlanta in the morning to go watch NPC Nationals. We are also going to catch a Miami Heat vs Atlanta Hawks game while we are there. Should be a lot of fun.

I have cooked up 7 meals to take along with our homemade meal replacement bars we sell, and of course Nitrean+ protein. I'll eat out a few times, keeping it pretty clean, and have large cheat meal Saturday night.

Shoulders:

1) Reverse pec deck 4 x 15-20
2) Seated side lateral 4 x 12-15
3) Seated front raises 3 x 10-12
4) One arm cable side lateral 3 x 10-15 (only 30 sec rest)
5) Hammer Strength press 3 x 15

POWERZN
11-09-2012, 03:43 AM
Allen, Yesterday I read an article at mesomorphosis.com by Bill Roberts that the use of
bodybuilding drugs in general but especialy testosterone is very high with NPC competiters.
As a natural athlete like yourself, do you understand why these athletes take the risks
that are involved with taking these drugs, it's not that they become rich by winning a
contest at this level. Where I live we get random drug controles in the gym.
First I was confused about it and angree, as a gymowner it's not pleasant that DEA busts in once in a while, but if I see how many young guys are taking steroids, even guys under 18 and only training for 3 months.
I'm suprised that there are so many heavy bodybuilders in the US that I think that
there's no priority of going after steroids in the US.
Anyway it's always inspiring going to a contest and see all these massive muscleheads
going on stage, I always love going to FIBO in Germany to see the monsters but when
you know what price they sometimes have to pay for it, to me it's not worth it. eric

Allen Cress
11-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Allen, Yesterday I read an article at mesomorphosis.com by Bill Roberts that the use of
bodybuilding drugs in general but especialy testosterone is very high with NPC competiters.
As a natural athlete like yourself, do you understand why these athletes take the risks
that are involved with taking these drugs, it's not that they become rich by winning a
contest at this level. Where I live we get random drug controles in the gym.
First I was confused about it and angree, as a gymowner it's not pleasant that DEA busts in once in a while, but if I see how many young guys are taking steroids, even guys under 18 and only training for 3 months.
I'm suprised that there are so many heavy bodybuilders in the US that I think that
there's no priority of going after steroids in the US.
Anyway it's always inspiring going to a contest and see all these massive muscleheads
going on stage, I always love going to FIBO in Germany to see the monsters but when
you know what price they sometimes have to pay for it, to me it's not worth it. eric

Do I understand why they take them, yes. The first thing is trying to be the best you can possibly be and keep the playing field even. I would estimate that 85% of the NPC athletes are taking something. Personally i don't judge and if that's the path they choose then they are responsible and should undestand the possible effects. I do beleive testosterone has its place, but yes some of the doses competitors take is very unhealthy. I also beleive that here in the US guys take way too much testosterone and they good get great results keeping testosterone lower and using higher amounts of anabolics and this would limit side effects. This is what i preach to my clients who use.

Also I make sure they get regular bloodwork done because steroids effect everyone differently. I personally know guys taking 1000mg of test per week and only weigh 175 lbs. If you are taking that much at that weight it just isn't in the cards for you to be one of those freaks on stage so step back and see if its really worth it, which is what each person has to decide for themselves.

I myself am on HRT right now. My last bloodwork came back and my test levels were on the low end so my doc has me on 100mg per week to keep it at the high end. I will continue to do this because low test levels have more health risks than moderatly high levels do. Of course as soon as i tell people I am taking testosterone they start stereotyping and saying "oh because your a bodybuilder".

Most of society needs to get their heads out of their asses when it comes to steroids. Yes they can cause serious side effects when taking too much, but so can asprin and alcohol. Its up to individuals to be responsible and I don't think our government should be focused on steroids, they should be focused on more harmful drugs, cocaine, heroin, oxycoton, etc... If you look at the list a top killers in the US steroids is number 112 on a top 200 list, alcohol is number 15, aspirin is number 10. See what i'm getting at?

The key is proper education instead of using the media who always blows things out of porportion. Sorry for the rant.

Allen Cress
12-26-2012, 04:13 AM
ts been a while since I posted due to opening a new fitness based Cafe and the holidays. I am taking off from weights the next 2 weeks thru Jan 5th. I am letting my joints rest as some nagging aches have not been getting better. So during this time period I will be getting ART, stretching a lot, and doing a few yoga classes.

I will be more relaxed on my diet meaning I will not measure anything and if I occassionaly want something I'll have it. I always enjoy the holidays and time with friends and family and don't stress about eating bad because thats just not my lifestyle and you only live once and should enjoy life. Thus isn't to say you should have a free for all and eat every cookie and pie in sight. Just control portions and throw some healthy fod in there.

After my break I will do one more 8 week gaining phase as I have 12 weeks til I start my contest/wedding prep.

Coke
12-26-2012, 05:43 PM
I have 12 weeks til I start my contest/wedding prep.

Awesome, looking forward to that Allen!

Good luck with everything including the new Cafe and all business endeavors.

Allen Cress
01-07-2013, 09:27 AM
After a 2 week break from training and relaxing on my diet I'm ready to start back. My goal over the next 8 weeks or so is to gain around 10-15 lbs. I lost about 4 lbs while I was off but it should come back fairly quick.

I am starting back with a traditional program and a 5 day split of the following:
Day 1: Shoulders
Day 2: Arms
Day 3: Legs
Day 4: off
Day 5: Chest
Day 6: Back
Day 7: off

My diet will start around 350g protein, 300g carbs, 40g fat. I will gradually increase as i build up intensity over the next couple weeks.

Here is what I did today for Shoulders:

one arm DB snatch pyramid warm ups then 4 X's 4-6 each arm
bent DB laterals 1 warm up then 3 X's 10-12 reps
one arm cable side laterals 3 X's 12-15 reps
machine shoulder press 3 X's 15
DB front Swings 3 X's 10-12
BB shrugs 3 X's 8-10 reps

yayeti
01-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Hey Allen, do you take creatine? What are your current supplements? Do you take creatine while cutting? or does your supplements change while cutting? I enjoy following this thread and wish you the best of luck with your training

Allen Cress
01-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Hey Allen, do you take creatine? What are your current supplements? Do you take creatine while cutting? or does your supplements change while cutting? I enjoy following this thread and wish you the best of luck with your training

Yes I take creatine pre and post workout. Usually 8 weeks on 4 weeks off.

Right now here are my supplements:
- Nitrean
- EAAs
- BCAAs
- Citrulline malate
- Beta alanine
- Glutamine
- L carnitine
- Essential fatty acids
- Vitargo

Allen Cress
01-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Legs

1) Standing sigle leg curl 4 x 10
2) Leg press with bands 4 x 15-20
3) Split squat 3 x 12-15
4) Seated Leg curl 1 x 15-20, 1 x 12-15, 1 x 10-12, 2 x 8-10
5) Horizontal Leg press 3 x 15, then 1 triple drop set
6) Stiff legged deadlifts on Deadlift machine 3 x 15

POWERZN
01-17-2013, 02:35 AM
Seems you're doing very traditional training for the moment. eric

Allen Cress
01-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Seems you're doing very traditional training for the moment. eric

Yes, I may add in some finishers in about 3-4 weeks.

Rock1984
01-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Allen, do you take each set to failure, or just the last one?

Allen Cress
01-18-2013, 05:58 AM
Allen, do you take each set to failure, or just the last one?

It depends on the program I am doing. On my current one I take most exercises to muscular failure, not movement failure. What I mean by this is when I can no longer get a good contraction and feel other muscles taking over I stop there. Pushing past that point is just using whatever muscles you can do move the weight and this can lead to injury, strains, overuse issues in the joints.

yayeti
01-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Thats a great point. I never thought about it that way but it makes alot of sense. I will definitely start thinking in terms of muscle failure and not movement failure.

So when you do a set 4 x 10...does this mean your first set will be the most weight and then you decrease the weight each subsequent set for that exercise since if you reached muscular failure with a certain weight at 10 reps you probably wont be able to get that many reps with that same weight again.

Alot of forums I've been reading explain it as when you see 4 x 10, it will start off with a light weight not taken to failure and the weight increases until you reach a weight that you can only perform 10 reps on your 4th set. The first set done is usually about half the weight of the 4th set. The weights chosen for the 2nd and 3rd sets are spaced evenly apart.

Which one do you like better?

Allen Cress
01-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Thats a great point. I never thought about it that way but it makes alot of sense. I will definitely start thinking in terms of muscle failure and not movement failure.

So when you do a set 4 x 10...does this mean your first set will be the most weight and then you decrease the weight each subsequent set for that exercise since if you reached muscular failure with a certain weight at 10 reps you probably wont be able to get that many reps with that same weight again.

Alot of forums I've been reading explain it as when you see 4 x 10, it will start off with a light weight not taken to failure and the weight increases until you reach a weight that you can only perform 10 reps on your 4th set. The first set done is usually about half the weight of the 4th set. The weights chosen for the 2nd and 3rd sets are spaced evenly apart.

Which one do you like better?

It depends on where an exercise is placed in the sequence. Usually at the beginning of the workout I do weight constants where I use the same weight for all sets, the last one being at or near failure. For later exercises I usually have a rep range and so I tend to keep the same weight for all sets and go to failure on each, but if I'm only getting 9 reps and I'm going for 10-12 I will lighten the weight up to stay in my rep range.

Allen Cress
01-21-2013, 05:36 PM
On my 3rd week back to training and I have decided not to compete this year. I will diet for 8-9 weeks like a contets prep to get ready for my beach Wedding in May. I am taking the time off because I feel I need more overall mass to be more competitive at next years Masters Nationals. It will give my muscle more time to mature and present a better package. In this sport time is your friend. Current weight is 210 lbs. Hopefully by the end of the year I will be walking around at 220-225 solid and still pretty lean.

1a) Low pulley rope ext. 3 x 12-15 (slow tempo)
1b) One arm pressdown 3 x 12-15

2a) Pronated cable kickbacks 3 x 10-12 (1 sec flex)
2b) Machine dips 3 x 10 (slow negative)

3a) DB concentration curls 3 x 8-12
3b) Preacher curls 3 x 8-10

4a) BB curl 3 x 12-15
4b) Hammmer curls 3 x 8-10

Coke
01-22-2013, 08:22 PM
I will diet for 8-9 weeks like a contets prep to get ready for my beach Wedding in May.

Awesome!!

In this sport time is your friend.

ever so true too!

Allen Cress
01-25-2013, 07:43 AM
1) Incline BB press 4 x 6
2) Flat DB press 4 x 10-12
3) Seated machine fly 3 x 12 (2 sec flex)
4) Incline Hammer press 4 x 15
5) Cable crossover 2 x 15 (slow)

1a) DB shoulder press (pumping reps, no pauses) 3 x 20
1b) Alternate front raise with forward walk 3 x 20 EA
1c) DB side lateral with forward walk 3 x 20
1d) DB upright row (pull wide at top) 3 x 20

Allen Cress
01-31-2013, 02:42 PM
1) Seated Leg curls 4 x 20, 15, 12, 10

2) Squats with chains each of the first 3 sets added a chain each time. Did the 4th set with 3 chains per side. 12-15 reps. Last set took chains off and went to failure, got 27 reps.

3) Single Leg press 3 x 15

4) DB stiff leg dead with wide stance, emphasize glute contraction 3 x 15

5a) Lying leg curl 2 x 10 (slow tempo, 1 sec flex)
5b) Hack squat 2 x 10 (slow tempo)

Weight is at 215 first thing in morning. Have 6-8 more weeks before I start dieting.

bfoley
02-02-2013, 07:34 PM
I myself am on HRT right now. My last bloodwork came back and my test levels were on the low end so my doc has me on 100mg per week to keep it at the high end. I will continue to do this because low test levels have more health risks than moderatly high levels do.Allen, do you take any AI's as part of your HRT protocol ?

--Brian

Allen Cress
02-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Allen, do you take any AI's as part of your HRT protocol ?

--Brian

Yes, he has me on 1.5 mg of Arimidex per week

Allen Cress
02-07-2013, 07:01 PM
1) Seated leg curl 3 x 10, 1 x 10 then 15 partials
2) Glute ham raise 3 x 10 with slow negative
3) Standing single leg curl 3 x 10
4) Single leg press 4 x 20

5a) Leg press w/3 sec neg 3 x 20
5b) Kettlebell front squat with heels elevated 3 x 15, slow tempo
5c) Leg ext. 3 x 20-30 pumping/explosive reps to absolute failure

Allen Cress
02-11-2013, 06:00 AM
1) Seated side lateral 1 x 8-10, 2 x 10-12, 2 x 12-15
2) Simultaneous DB press, explosive 4 x 10-12 each arm
3) One arm cable bent lateral 3 x 12-15
4) One arm cable side lateral 3 x 12-15
5) One arm BB thrusts 3 x 10
6) BB shrug 3 x 12-15

Allen Cress
02-15-2013, 10:32 AM
1) Incline BB press 4 x 6
2) Flat fly(1sec flex) 1 x 10-12, 1 x 8-10, 1x 8
3) Seated machine press 3 x 12
4) Decline Hammer press w/bands 3 x 12
5) Pec deck 3 x 15

Extra delt work/Giant set (3 rounds x 10 reps each)

- DB side lateral, slow tempo
- Bent DB lateral, explosive
- Seated Wide front raises, slow with 1 sec flex
- BB over & back press
- 6 ways

Allen Cress
02-17-2013, 10:22 AM
Weight is holding steady at 220 lbs. Macros on workout days are 350g pro/ 320g carbs/ 30-40g fat. On non-workout days carbs are at 200-220 due to not having intra workout shake, everything else stays the same. Its nice at this point that I can eat a little less and maintain this weight. At the end of last year I was taking in 400-450g carbs to get to this weight, maintained that for a month and was able to gradually lower calories and still maintain.

Since I will not compete until Masters nationals next year I have plenty of time to gradually get up to a pretty lean 225-230 lbs and hopefully be at that weight for 3-4 months before prep starts.

I have been doing a hybrid approach to bring up a couple minor weak points, hams, delts, and arms and they have been responding well.

1) Wide grip pull ups 5 x 10-15
2) Hammer strength high rows 4 x 8-10
3) One arm cable rows 3 x 10-12 (1 sec flex)
4) Close grip pulldowns 3 x 15 (slow tempo w/stretch at top)
5) Straight arm pulldowns with 4" Grenade by Elite fts. 3 x 12 (this is a great attachment that can be used for numerous things. It takes stress off the tendons and ligaments due to the grip)

Simultaneous Arm Blast: Do 4 rounds non-stop. Both arms are moving at same time for 10-15 reps. Use a Cable machine where there are 2 pulleys where you can put one high and one low (not cable crossover, its too far apart).

- Reverse grip pressdown & Cable curl. One the reps are complete turn around and swith arms. Keep doing this until you have domne 4 sets on each arm of each exercise.

Allen Cress
02-27-2013, 05:12 AM
I did 3 giant sets for Biceps and triceps. The pump was insane and the soreness today is unbelievable! I did 8-12 reps on all exercises

Biceps

Round 1
-Power BB curls
-Preacher curl; slow with 2 sec flex
-Reverse grip curl
-Spider curls; slow with triple drop set

Round 2
-DB curl; triple drop
-Incline DB curl
-Hammer curls; 2 sec pause at bottom and flex
-Cable curls; pumping reps
-Machine preacher curl; very slow tempo

Round 3
-Cable curls; 21's
-Preacher curl; slow with pause at bottom
-Zottman curls
-Seated EZ bar curl; pause at top and bottom
-Lying cable curl
-DB spider curl; 2 sec flex

Triceps

Round 1
-Pressdowns; use Elite's Grenade attachment
-Bent forward cable ext; slow
-Dips
-close grip bench; slow with 2 sec flex
-Seated EZ bar overhead ext; 2 sec pause in stretch with slow tempo
-Decline skullcrusher

Round 2
-Wide pressdowns; triple drop
-Reverse grip pressdown; 2 sec flex
-Flat skullcrusher; 10 reps to chin, forehead, behind head
-Close grip bench
-Low pulley overhead ext: grenade

Round 3
-Wide grip pressdown; triple drop
-Bent over cable ext
-DB kickbacks; 2 sec flex
-Overhead DB ext; slow
-Reverse pressdown; 2 sec flex

tom183
02-27-2013, 06:15 AM
Damn, huge session. Bet you could hardly bend/straighten your arms after that one.

Allen Cress
03-01-2013, 06:40 AM
1) Smith machine stiff legged deadlift 4 x 12-15
2) Safety bar squats with 140lbs chain 4 x 15, 12, 10, 8
3) Horizontal leg press 4 x 40, 30, 20, 10
4) Wide & high stance Leg press 3 x 10 (slow)
5) Lying leg curl 4 x 15 (squeeze legs together)

Calves
1) Standing calf raise 4 x 10 with 5 sec flex
2) seated raise 3 x 10 with 20 partials

Allen Cress
03-06-2013, 03:59 AM
1a) Pushdowns with Elite's Grenade 4 x 15 (last set is a drop set with 4 drops)
1b) Cable curl 4 x 8 w/2 sec flex (last set was drop set with 4 drops)

2a) Reverse pressdown 4 x 12 (last set is drop set with 2 drops)
2b) Hammer curl 4 x 10 (last set drop set with 2 drops)

3a) Machine dips 4 x 8 with slow tempo (last set is double drop)
3b) DB curl 4 x 8 w/ 2 sec flex (last set is double drop)

Allen Cress
03-07-2013, 12:23 PM
1) Single leg curl w/red mini band 3 x 10 (1 drop set on last set)

2) Reverse band leg press 3 x 12, 1 x 20

3) Leg ext 3 x 20 w/ 2 sec flex

4) Safety bar squats 3 x 8 (explosive reps)

5) DB stiff leg deadlift 3 x 12

6) Abductor/Adductor 3 x 15 each

Allen Cress
03-12-2013, 06:35 AM
I have been dieting for 3 weeks and am down 5 lbs. Still having 1 cheat meal every Saturday. Current macros 320g p, 240g carbs, 40g fat. On non-training days I only have 190g carbs since I don't have my Intra-workout shake.

I started a new program which will take me thru to my weddingin 13 weeks. I am dieting down a bit and getting my body into a supercompensation state (we are having a beach wedding). I will be taking about 12 days off training and diet at that point. My current program is a set 5 days per week with 2 optional days depending on how I am recovering and feeling. They can be added in when possible. I plan on not doing any cardio and just doing extra training sessions when my body can handle it.

New split:
Day 1: Legs
Day 2: Chest/shoulders (heavy)
Day 3: Back (heavy)
Day 4: Legs (explosive, light moderate weight) OPTIONAL day
Day 5: Chest/Shoulders (pumping day)
Day 6: Arms
Day 7: Back (light, pumping) OPTIONAL day

1) Machine press 3 x 8
2) Incline smith machine press 5 x 15, 13, 11, 9, 6 (only to 3/4 lockout)
3) Reverse band bench press 5 x 5
4) Cable crossover 3 x 12

5a) DB side lateral 4 x 12 (slow tempo)
5b) Spidercrawls 4 x 3 rounds

6) Bent DB rear lateral 3 x 20

7) Cage press 2 x 8

POWERZN
03-14-2013, 04:51 AM
Hi Allen, 7 days a week for 13 weeks will be something, can you explain what you mean
with the spidercrawls ? thanks eric

Allen Cress
03-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Hi Allen, 7 days a week for 13 weeks will be something, can you explain what you mean
with the spidercrawls ? thanks eric

Place a short red mini band from www.elitefts.com around your wrists. Stand facing a wall and palce your fingers on the wall while keeping your arms spread as far apart as possible. While maintaining this position crawl your hands up and down the wall to above your head to your waist level.

Allen Cress
03-19-2013, 07:16 AM
My weight is down another couple pounds. I have increased my re-feeds on saturday to a half day instead of one meal as it wasn't enough. I would say in another week or 2 my body will be in full supercomp mode and will start cycle dieting with a full re-feed day.
Current macros are 320p/ 200c/ 35f.

1) Lying leg curl with bands 4 x 12, 10, 8, 8

2) BB squat: slow pyramid then 3 x 6, slow descent then explosive concentric

3) Hack squat 2 x 15, then grind out 1 x 25 with same weight. No lockout, only come up 3/4 of the way.

4) Single leg press 3 x 12. After 12 reps drop weight and do 6-10 more.

5) BB stiff legg dead 3 x 10

6) Iso-tension leg curl w/DB 1 x 45 sec

Allen Cress
03-21-2013, 11:50 AM
1) One arm BB row 4 x 12

2) Wide paralell grip pulldown 4 x 10

3) Chest supported row with elbows flared to emphasize rhomboids & traps 4 x 10

4) kayak rows 3 x 12

5) Low back ext. 2 x failure

Allen Cress
03-25-2013, 05:02 AM
1a) Rope pressdown 4 x 12
1b) Cable curls 4 x 8, 2 sec flex

2a) DB curl, slow neg 4 x 8
2b) Bent rope extension 4 x 12

3a) Reverse grip pressdown 4 x 8 then 4 forced reps
3b) BB curl, only up 3/4 way with slow tempo 4 x 10

4) Single arm pressdown 4 x 12-15

Allen Cress
03-26-2013, 08:07 AM
1) Lying leg curl 3 x 12, 10, 8 then 1 drop set x8, 10, 20

2) Safety bar squat 3 x 8, then 1 drop set x 8, 10, 15

3) Leg press 3 x 30

4) Leg ext. 4 x 8 with 2 sec flex

5) DB stiff leg dead 4 x 10

6) Iso-tension DB leg curl 2 x 40 sec

Allen Cress
03-28-2013, 02:08 PM
1) Slight Decline DB press 100lbs x 4 x 8 reps

2) Flat SM press 3 x 10; pumping no lockout

3) Incline DB press 100lbs x 4 x 6 reps

4) Pushups 2 x failure

5a) DB side laterals 30lbs x 4 x 12 reps
5b) Band side lateral partials , 4 x 12 with 1 sec flex

6a) Cable rear laterals 4 x 15
6b) Band pull aparts 4 x 15 with 1 sec flex

Coke
03-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Looks nice Allen, you all will be 'jumping over the broom' real soon.

Good luck across the board man.

Allen Cress
03-31-2013, 06:30 PM
I started my first full re-feed day yesterday and I could definitely tell I was in full supercompensation mode. I had lost 1 pound from the last half re-feed day. Last Saturday morning I weighed 208, Sunday morning I was 220. Then by this Saturday I was down 1 lb to 207.

My hunger was pretty high all week, but energy and performance on gym was good. I am pretty lean at this point with all abs, lines in quads, and Christmas tree showing. I will look to lean out just a bit more for my wedding in 9 weeks. I will add in the mid-week spike in a few weeks.

Here is what I had yesterday:

1) 4 pancakes with peanut butter
2) Foot long pizza sub with doritos and a couple cookies
3) 2 almond joy bars
4) Large popcorn and reeses pieces at movies
5) Chips with queso & hummus dip. flatbread pizza, Chicken sandwich with spicy mayo, bacon, cheese, onion rings, and sweet potato fries.
6) 5 pancakes with Peanut butter and half pint ice cream.

Never got full until after my last meal and then it was only some bloating from the ice cream. I look to drop maybe another pound or 2 the way my body soaked up what I ate. My metabolic furnace is on high and I will just keep feeding it,

Allen Cress
04-09-2013, 11:01 AM
I just got back from Vegas for my bachelor party and took 4 days off training and diet. The nice thing about the cycle diet is once I go back to my diet for about 5 days I will be ready to start my re-feed day.

I am doing a metabolic approach for hypertrophy for the next 8 weeks leading into my wedding. I will continue the cycle diet and lean out a bit more then take a 2 week break for the wedding and honeymoon. My body will be primed and ready for the break.

Everything is trained twice per week: Here is my template breakdown of day 1 to give you an idea:

Day 1

Quad-Plex #1
1a) Loaded or Compound Chest Exercise 3-4 Xs 6-8
1b) Unloaded or Isolation Back Exercise 3-4 Xs 10-15
1c) Bicep Exercise 3-4 Xs 8-10
1d) Any Abs Exercise 3-4 Xs 12-M

Quad-Plex #2
2a) Loaded or Compound Chest Exercise 3-4 Xs 8-10
2b) Unloaded or Isolation Back Exercise 3-4 Xs 10-15
2c) Bicep Exercise 3-4 Xs 10-12
2d) Any Abs Exercise 3-4 Xs 12-M

Quad-Plex #3
3a) Loaded or Compound Chest Exercise 3-4 Xs 10-12
3b) Unloaded or Isolation Back Exercise 3-4 Xs 12-15
3c) Bicep Exercise 3-4 Xs 10-12
3d) Any Abs Exercise 3-4 Xs 12-M

POWERZN
04-12-2013, 04:29 AM
Hi Allen, looks like an exellent template, a compound chest exercise combined with a
isolation or deload back exercise going into arms and core.
It's a template that I like to train, high tempo, less distraction and a solid pump while training for conditioning, exelelent way to go for your last eight weeks, succes and keep
us posted. eric

Allen Cress
04-15-2013, 06:42 AM
My weight was down another 2 lbs this Saturday and I am basically as lean as I want to be for my wedding in 6 weeks so I will be adding a Mid-week calorie spike to my cycle diet. So now I am at 1 whole re-feed day on Saturday and 1 mid-week spike on Wednesdays. If I drop anymore I will just add to he Mid-week spike. I have attached a pic I took Saturday. Weight is at 203 lbs. My metabolic rate is going all out at this point.

1a) Incine BB press 3 x 6
1b) Wide pulldown 3 x 15
1c) DB curl 3 x 8
1d) Lying leg raise 3 x 15

2a) Banded Hammer S. Press 3 x 10
2b) Recline pull ups 3 x 15
2c) Hammer curl 3 x 10
2d) Bicycle abs 3 x 20

3a) Flat DB press 3 x 12
3b) Close grip pulldown 3 x 12
3c) Cable curl 3 x 12
3d) SB crunches 3 x 15

yayeti
04-16-2013, 05:52 AM
Looking great Allen! What are your calories at now and what do you shoot for with refeeds and midweek spikes?

Allen Cress
04-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Looking great Allen! What are your calories at now and what do you shoot for with refeeds and midweek spikes?

My daily calories are 2100. On re-feed days and my mid-week spike I don't shoot for a certain calorie intake, just eat extremely high amounts. All I'm looking to do is repelnish glycogen and spike calories to also stimualte my metabolism by increasing leptin sensitivity and thyroid upregulation. If I had to guess I take in 8000+ calories on re-feed days.

yayeti
04-16-2013, 07:24 PM
So are mid week spikes and refeeds the same thing?

Allen Cress
04-17-2013, 04:59 AM
So are mid week spikes and refeeds the same thing?

Basically. They are both calorie spikes. The Mid-week spike is mainly used to be able to finish the last few days of training for the week optimally to get to the whole re-fee day. There are certain bio-feeedback indicators that let me know if I need to incorporate the mid-week spike. Energy levels, gym performance, pump in gym, weight, etc... to name a few.

On my mid-week spike I don't eat any sugar based foods (desserts). Like tonight I will have an appetizer, bread with butter, salad with ranch, 12oz new york strip, large baked potato loaded with sour cream, butter, bacon, & cheese. If I'm still hungry somethin else. I eat til I'm full, I do not binge on food.

Allen Cress
04-17-2013, 06:35 AM
1a) Banded leg press 4 x 10
1b) Alt. Supermans on SB 4 x 12 ES
1c) Cable rear lateral 4 x 15
1d) Reverse grip pressdown 4 x 20

2a) Hack squat 4 x 12
2b) Reverse hyper 4 x 15
2c) Cable Side lateral 4 x 15
2d) One arn overhead cable ext. 4 x 15

3a) Split squat 3 x 12
3b) ABC tubing ext. 3 x 15
3c) DB upright row 3 x 12
3d) Grenade pressdowns 3 x 15

Allen Cress
04-17-2013, 06:44 AM
1) 1.5 cups egg whites & 2 whole eggs

2) 220g chicken, 200g potato, 3 fish oil

3) 2 cups egg whites, 60g quinoa, 1/2 tbsp almond butter

4) Intra-workout shake: 40g cyclic dextrin, 20g casien hyrdosylate, 10g EAAs

5) 220g turkey, 180g sweet potato

6) 2 cups egg whites, 50g quinoa, 1/2 tbsp natural peanut butter

Coke
04-19-2013, 01:46 AM
Exceptional shot, definitely on point!

Allen Cress
04-24-2013, 04:01 AM
1a) Flat DB press 4 x 6-8
1b) Wide pulldown 4 x 15
1c) DB curl 4 x 10
1d) Leg raises 4 x 12

2a) Incine DB press 4 x 10
2b) High row 4 x 15
2c) Concentration curl 4 x 10
2c) Cable crunch 4 x 15

3a) Flat DB twist press 4 x 10
3b) Straight arm pulldown 4 x 15
3c) Hammer curl 4 x 12
3d) SB alternating crunch 4 x 10 ES

JasonLift
04-27-2013, 03:33 PM
1) 1.5 cups egg whites & 2 whole eggs

2) 220g chicken, 200g potato, 3 fish oil

3) 2 cups egg whites, 60g quinoa, 1/2 tbsp almond butter

4) Intra-workout shake: 40g cyclic dextrin, 20g casien hyrdosylate, 10g EAAs

5) 220g turkey, 180g sweet potato

6) 2 cups egg whites, 50g quinoa, 1/2 tbsp natural peanut butter

Without this becoming crude, have you noticed when consuming a large amount of egg whites without a couple yolks mixed in that is gives you some really awful smelling gas. Sometimes I have up to four cups of egg whites (throughout the day not at one time) and it is pretty rough. When I throw in a couple yolks I don't have that same issue.

Allen Cress
04-28-2013, 01:07 PM
Without this becoming crude, have you noticed when consuming a large amount of egg whites without a couple yolks mixed in that is gives you some really awful smelling gas. Sometimes I have up to four cups of egg whites (throughout the day not at one time) and it is pretty rough. When I throw in a couple yolks I don't have that same issue.

No, but when consuming the exact same foods everday without some variety will cause food allergies and weaken your digestive enzymes.

Allen Cress
05-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Since adding my mid-week spike 2 weeks ago weight has finally stabilized and body is looking full and lean 24/7 now (exceptthe day after my re-feed day when I have a lot of water retention form all the great food, lol).

Here was my last Mid-week spike meal:
- 1 loaf bread with butter, sweet potato tater tots, fried calamari, salad with ranch, bacon, & cheese, portabella mushroom chicken with wine sauce and cheese, loaded potato

1a) BB squats 4 x 10, 8, 8, 15
1b) Bird dogs 4 x 12 ES
1c) Rear delt machine 4 x 15
1d) wide grip pressdown 4 x 15-20

2a) Horizontal leg press 4 x 20, 15, 12, 10
2b) Supermans on Bosu 4 x 12
2c) Banded DB side lateral 4 x 12
2d) Overhead rope ext. 4 x 15

3a) Single leg press 4 x 15 EL
3b) Good mornings 4 x 12
3c) Front cable raises 4 x 15
3d) Seated band extension w/grenades 4 x 12

Allen Cress
05-06-2013, 06:59 AM
1a) Incline BB press 4 x 6
1b) Recline pull ups 4 x 15
1c) DB curls 4 x 10
1d) weighted crunches 4 x 15

2a) DB flat press 4 x 10
2b) Wide pulldowns 4 x 15
2c) Preacher curls 4 x 12
2d) SB leg raise 4 x 12-15

3a) Machine press 4 x 12
3b) Single arm pulldown 4 x 12
3c) DB cross body curl 4 x 10
3d) Leg climbs 4 x 12

Allen Cress
05-09-2013, 11:20 AM
1a) Seated cable row 4 x 8
1b) Cable crossover 4 x 15
1c) Russian twist 4 x 15 ES
1d) Standing calf raise 4 x 12

2a) Machine row 4 x 10
2b) Cable press 4 x 15
2c) High to Low chops 4 x 12 ES
2d) BW single calf raise 4 x 20

3a) One arm DB row w/pronated grip 4 x 12
3b) Pec deck 4 x 15
3c) Rainbows 4 x 10 ES
3d) seated calf raise 4 x 15

POWERZN
05-12-2013, 03:26 AM
Allen, can you describe what you mean by ' rainbows ' , maybe there's also another
name for it, thanks eric

Allen Cress
05-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Allen, can you describe what you mean by ' rainbows ' , maybe there's also another
name for it, thanks eric

Also called windshield wipers. Laying on the floor with hands straight out to your sides on the floor. Lift legs up pointing to ceiling and then keep them as straight as possible and rotate them side to side under control. Keep legs together and try to toch the ground.

POWERZN
05-13-2013, 04:04 AM
OK, thanks.

Allen Cress
05-23-2013, 07:21 PM
I have been cycle dieting for 10 weeks now and am very happy with where I am metabolically speaking as well as my level of conditioning. I am at 202 lbs and I have one whole re-feed day(aka cheat day) and one mid-week spike meal. My calories are at 2100 on diet days.

I am tapering down my current Metabolic Hypertrophy program and next week will be the last week I workout and diet for 8 days. I will rest, relax, and enjoy my wedding and honeymoon. The great thing is I know my body and after not training or eating my typical diet for 8 days when I start back after a week back on my diet I will go right back to my whole re-feed day.

Allen Cress
06-09-2013, 06:09 PM
I am back after 10 days off for my wedding and honeymoon. Everything well and now I am ready to get back at it. I ate pretty freely the whole time with NO exercise. Before I left I was 202 lbs and yesterday morning I was 200 lbs, so I lost a couple pounds during my time off. When you train the body with a proper diet and training program consistently then it doesn't react when you take time off it rests and is primed and ready when you start back and there is no negative effects from the free eating and time off and by free eating I don't mean binging of pure junk the whole time. I had some unhealthy food and healthy food while on vacation and never measured anything or ate 6 times a day.

I will go immediately back to my cycle diet I was on when I too my break. So Wed I will do my mid-week spike and Saturday I will have my re-feed day. After about 4 weeks of training I will go into a slight calorie surplus, about 300-500 more than now and follow my template for the cycle diet having 1 mid-week spike on Wed and 1-2 cheat meals on the weekend.

Since I was on a 4 day Metabolic Hypertrophy program before I will now switch to a 5-6day traditional bodypart split utilizing intensity techniques like partials, drop sets, and giant sets.

POWERZN
06-11-2013, 01:53 AM
Hi Allen, hope you're doing well. I'm curious about how many days a week you will train and what kind of split you will be doing, also curious if you will be doing heavy lifting
exercises like snatches and cleans. You mentioned on the ScottAbel forum you use the hex bar regulary , do you also use it for combinations of squating, rowing, shrugs while
walking like farmers walk. eric

Allen Cress
06-11-2013, 07:11 AM
Hi Allen, hope you're doing well. I'm curious about how many days a week you will train and what kind of split you will be doing, also curious if you will be doing heavy lifting
exercises like snatches and cleans. You mentioned on the ScottAbel forum you use the hex bar regulary , do you also use it for combinations of squating, rowing, shrugs while
walking like farmers walk. eric

I will be doing a basic split with optional days when I feel my body can handle the extra work. For now my split is as follows:
1) Legs
2) Chest/Shoulders(light pumping)
3) Back
4) off
5) Shoulders
6) Arms
7) off

I will not be doing any Olympic lifts. I typically just use the hex bar for deadlifting variations.

Allen Cress
06-11-2013, 07:25 AM
First day back training after 9 days off.

1) Seated leg curl 3 x 10, 1 drop set of 10, 10, 15 partials

2) Reverse band Safety bar squat 3 x 10

3) Banded leg press 3 x 12

4) BB stiff leg deadlift 3 x 10

TheRealTO
06-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Allen,

When you are counting your protein, carbohydrates, and fats do you count all macronutrients such as the protein content found in some carbohydrates, etc? Or do you only count the main nutrient found in the selected food?

Allen Cress
06-11-2013, 01:34 PM
unless it a significant amount like 8 or more grams then no. Regardless whatever method you use just stick to it and the it will still all workout in the end

Coke
06-12-2013, 11:20 AM
The 5 day split was key for me at one point, glad to see you resuming things with it.

Good to see you back at it Allen.

Allen Cress
06-12-2013, 03:52 PM
1) Bent 2 arm DB row 4 x 10

2) Single arm reverse grip pulldown 4 x 10 w/1 sec flex

3) DB straight arm pullover 3 x 12

4) Smith machine bent rows 4 x 6 (explosive)

5) Low back ext. 3 x failure

Allen Cress
06-18-2013, 01:28 PM
1) Leg curl 4 x 8

2) Squats 4 x 6

3) Hack squat 2 x 15, 1 x 25

4) Single leg press 3 x 12

5) DB stiff leg deadlift 3 x 10

Allen Cress
06-19-2013, 07:08 PM
1) Incline DB press 4 x8

2) Incline BB press 5 x 5 (explosive)

3) Cable fly 3 x 12 w/2 sec flex

4) Flat machine press 3 x 8, 1 x 15

6) One arm cable side lateral 3 x 15 (only 30 sec rest)

7) BB front raise (slow tempo) 2 x 12

8) Bent DB rear lateral 3 x 15 (45 sec rest)

Allen Cress
06-25-2013, 08:14 AM
1) Leg press 3 x 30

2) Squats 225lbs x 8 reps, 275 x 8, 300 x 8. One drop set 300 x 8, 225 x 15, 185 x 10, 155 x 15

3) Leg curl 3 x 12, 10, 8; 1 drop set; x 8, 10, 20(5 were forced reps)

4) Leg ext 4 x 15 w/1sec flex

5) SM stiff leg deadlift 3 x 10

Allen Cress
07-02-2013, 01:31 PM
GIANT SETS FOR BICEPS

1st ROTATION:

-BARBELL CURLS - 6-12 REPS

-PREACHER CABLE CURLS 8-10 REPS [2,2,1]

-STANDING E-Z BAR REVERSE CURLS 6-12 REPS

-INCLINE DUMBBELL ALTERNATE CURLS 6-8 REPS [2,1,2]

-INCLINE BENCH E-Z BAR CURLS 8-12 REPS [2,2,2,2]

2nd ROTATION:

-POWER DUMBBELL SUPINATED CURLS (triple drop, descending set with 3 different weights 6-10 REPS with each weight)

-WIDE GRIP BARBELL CURLS 8-10 REPS

-REVERSE E-Z CURLS 8-12 REPS

-DUMBBELL HAMMER CURLS 6-8 REPS [2,2,2,2]

-MACHINE BICEPS CURLS - 12-15 REPs

-DUMBBELL CONCENTRATION CURLS (triple drop) 8 REPS [2,1,2]

3rd ROTATION:

-LOW PULLEY CABLE wide grip EZ-CURLS 21s [7 reps down-half, 7 reps half-up, 7 reps all the way]

-PREACHER EZ-CURLS 6-12 REPS, slow eccentric, pause on the bottom, slow concentric with peak contraction

-DUMBBELL ZOTTMAN CURLS 8-10 REPS,

-SEATED E-Z BAR CURLS 6-12 REPS [2,2,2,2]

-UPSIDE DOWN HIGH PULLEY CABLE CURLS - 10-15 REPS [2,2,2]

-INCLINE DUMBBELL CONCENTRATION CURLS (triple drop) 8 REPS [2,1,2]

GIANT SETS FOR TRICEPS:

1st ROTATION:

-TRICEPS DIPS MAX REPS

-CLOSE GRIP BENCH PRESSES 6-10 REPS [2,2,1]

-HIGH PULLEY CABLE ROPE PUSHDOWNS + BENT OVER TRICEPS ROPE EXTENSIONS 10 REPS EACH, [2,2,1]

-SEATED E-Z BAR TRICEPS OVERHEAD EXTENSIONS (Pause on the bottom in completely stretched position for 2 seconds, NO POWER on concentric part only strong triceps contraction!)

-DECLINE BENCH SKULL CRUSHERS WITH E-Z BAR - 3 different positions [CHIN+FOREHEAD+BENCH] 10 REPS EACH

2nd ROTATION:

-HIGH PULLEY CABLE PUSHDOWNS (triple drop 10 each)

-HIGH PULLEY CABLE REVERSE GRIP PUSHDOWNS (Peak contraction at the bottom for 2 seconds) 6-12 REPS

-FLAT BENCH SKULL CRUSHERS WITH E-Z BAR 3 different positions [CHIN+FOREHEAD+BENCH] 10 REPS EACH

-CLOSE GRIP BENCH PRESS WITH E-Z BAR - 6-12 REPS [2,2,1]

-SEATED LOW PULLEY CABLE ROPE TRICEPS EXTENSIONS- 10-12 REPS + DUMBBELL KICKBACKS - 10-12 REPS

3rd ROTATION:

-HEAVY DUMBELL SEATED TRICEPS OVERHEAD EXTENSIONS 8-12 REPS [2,2,2]

-ARNOLD TRICEPS PULLOVERS WITH E-Z BAR - 10 REPS EACH

-CLOSE GRIP PRESS WITH E-Z BAR 8-12 REPS [3,2,1]

-WIDE GRIP HIGH PULLEY TRICEPS PUSHDOWNS (triple drop)

-INCLINE BENCH PULLEY TRICEPS CABLE EXTENSIONS 10 REPS EACH + DUMBBELL KICKBACKS 10 REPS

Coke
07-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Wow man, killer with the giant set arm work.

Allen Cress
07-10-2013, 06:57 AM
Chest/delt

1) Slight decline DB press 3 x 8
2) Reverse band Incline BB press 5 x 5 (explosive)
3) Flat Machine press 4 x 12
4) cable fly 3 x 10 w/1sec flex
5) Cambered bar push ups 1 x max

6) Front band raises x 20, side band raises x 20, pull aparts x 20 Did 3 rounds

Coke
07-10-2013, 07:26 PM
I know I'm late with this, but did you find working with Milos helpful?
could be a dumb question because we all gain from others to a degree, but was just wondering if it was worth it.

Also, really appreciate your insights - there are times you be saying something and hit the nail right on the head.

Allen Cress
07-11-2013, 02:11 PM
I know I'm late with this, but did you find working with Milos helpful?
could be a dumb question because we all gain from others to a degree, but was just wondering if it was worth it.

Also, really appreciate your insights - there are times you be saying something and hit the nail right on the head.

It opened my eyes even more to how the "pros" do things to the extreme. As far as learning more not really. No one has ever taught me as much as Scott Abel when I mentored under him. Milos is a great guy and I respect him but there are things that I don't agree with at all that he does.

Allen Cress
07-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Shoulders/extra chest work

Dumbbell side lateral partials w/bands 4 sets of 25 reps with the hang and swing technique.

DB Bent over Rear lateral 4 x 12

DB Side lateral- ascending/decending set. 1st weight a slow tempo, 2nd weight a regular tempo, & 3rd weight explosive, then lower weight do regular tempo, then lower one more time for slow tempo

Smith Machine wide grip overhead press Use a slow tempo. Do 3 sets of 10. 3 total work sets.

Machine shrugs Do 3 sets of 12 with a 1 second pause at the top of each rep. On 4th set did a triple drop. 8-10 reps each drop.

Complex: 3 sets
-DB floor press x 15-20 reps
-MB Push up x 12-20
-Band pull aparts x 15-20
-Tubing fly x 15-20

POWERZN
07-13-2013, 01:32 AM
Looks like a hard complex, are you using the band pull aparts mostly with bands or tubings ? What brand are you using for bands ? eric

Allen Cress
07-13-2013, 08:03 AM
Looks like a hard complex, are you using the band pull aparts mostly with bands or tubings ? What brand are you using for bands ? eric

Bands from EliteFTS

Allen Cress
07-16-2013, 07:34 AM
1) Banded single leg curls 4 x 20, 15, 12, 10

2) Horizontal leg press 5 x 10. Each rep was a rest/pause

3) Hack squat - I did 10 reps with a 3-1-3 tempo & wide stance, then immediately moved my feet close together and did 10 more reps with a pumping tempo, no lockout.

4) Hammer V squat- 1 drop set of 10, 10, 10

5) Lying leg curl 3 x 15

6) Leg extension - the goal was to get as many reps as possible with no less than 30 to drive as much blood into the muscle as possible. 1 x 56 reps
Then I stretched each quad for 45 sec.

Allen Cress
07-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Delts

1) Cable side lateral, 1 x 20, 4 x 10-12

2) Reverse pec deck 5 x 25, 20, 15, 12, 10

3) Horizontal Front cable raise 3 x 15

4a) Face pulls 4 x 15
4b) Band Side laterals w/2 sec flex 4 x 12

Allen Cress
07-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Legs

1) Leg curls 3 x 10, 1 drop set 10, 10, 10

2) Squats, 4 warm-up sets then: 3 x 5, then 1 ascending set. 275 x 5, rest 10 sec, 305 x 5, rest 10 sec, 320 x 5

3a) Leg press 5 x 15
3b) Leg ext 5 x 15

4) Stiff leg dead 4 x 12

Allen Cress
07-30-2013, 07:09 PM
1) Plate loaded machine press 3 x 12, 10, 8

2) Incline reverse band press 3 x 5 (explosive), 2 x 4 (semi-explosive), 2 x 3 Heavy

3) Flat DB press 2 x 10, then 1 drop set by 8-10 each drop

4) Cable fly 4 x 10 with 3-3-1 tempo

5) Banded shoulder complex:
-Front raises x 20
-Side raises x 20
-Pull aparts x 20

Allen Cress
08-06-2013, 05:03 PM
1a) Smith machine bent row 4 x 8 reps with 1 sec flex as you pull your hands apart
1b) Straight arm pulldowns 4 x 15

2) One arm machine row 4 x 10

3) Wide pulldowns 3 x 15, 1 drop set 10, 10, 10, 10 reps

4) Rack deadlifts from knees. 4 x 10

5) Low back ext with bands 3 x 20

POWERZN
08-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Allen, the last weeks your workouts seem shorter and more traditional as they use to be,
does this have a special reason ( like being busy ) or am I wrong and aren't your workouts shorter ? Eric

Allen Cress
08-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Allen, the last weeks your workouts seem shorter and more traditional as they use to be,
does this have a special reason ( like being busy ) or am I wrong and aren't your workouts shorter ? Eric

They last about 60 min. I am using intensity techniques which is more exhausting and I'm trying some new ways to activate and isolate even more muscle by changing force angles and such and so far its working great. Training is more intense and I am using less weight, which is great for my joints.

Allen Cress
08-14-2013, 05:28 AM
Starting next week I will be doing a new program I just finished and the split will be set up to where each muscle is trained every 4-5 days. Here is my split:
Day 1- Back/Hams
Day 2- Chest/biceps
Day 3- Quads/calves
Day 4- Shoulders/triceps
Day 5- Depending on how I feel start rotation over or take a day off

My current diet:
1) 4 whole eggs & 1 cup egg whites, asparagus
2) 2 cups egg whites, 75g quinoa, 1/2 tbsp. natural peanut butter
3) 220g chicken, spinach, 1 tbsp. coconut oil, red peppers
4) 220g turkey, 300g sweet potato
5) Intra-shake (100g carbs, 40g protein) or same as meal 4
6) 2 scoops Nitrean, 1 cup blueberries, 1 banana, 1 ezikiel English muffin
7) 2 cups egg whites, 75g quinoa, 1/2 tbsp. peanut butter

Allen Cress
08-21-2013, 04:46 PM
1) Leg extension 3 x 10, 1 triple drop. Kept constant tension in quad thru eccentric and concentric

2) Hack Squat 3 x 8, 1 drop set x 8, 8, 6, 6 (slow negative, no lockouts)

Quads were screaming at this point. Tons of blood and lactic acid!

3) BW walking Lunges; short steps 4 x 20 each leg

4) Leg press 3 x 20. driving feet out to emphasize vastus lateralis

1) Seated calf raise 3 x double drops 8, 8, 6

2) Standing calf raise 4 x 8, slow neg

Allen Cress
08-27-2013, 08:15 AM
Flat BB Press 4 x 8 + triple drop
Flat Dumbbell Press Fly 4 x 10-12
Incline DB press 4 x 8-10, slow neg
Machine Fly 3 x 10
Superset with Pushups 3 x max

BICEPS
Machine Preacher 4 x 10 + triple drop
Seated Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8 + triple drop
Cable Curl 3 x 8

Used very short rest periods of 45-75 sec

Allen Cress
09-04-2013, 05:55 AM
1a) Reverse grip cable row 4 x 10
1b) Parallel grip pull down 4 x 10

2) Chest supported row 3 x 8, drop set of 8,5,5,5. Used a slow negativeand intention outward

3) One arm Hammer row 4 x 12-15

4) Lying leg curl 4 x 8, keep feet dorsiflexed

5) Stiff leg deadlift 4 x 20

6) Standing leg cur 4 x 8, slow negative

Coke
09-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Nice and steady with the efforts, true to this lifestyle Allen and a great help to others!

Allen Cress
09-11-2013, 04:09 AM
1a) Leg ext 4 x 8, slow tempo
1b) Leg press 4 x 10, 3 sec neg

2) Split squat 4 x 15

3) Hammer V squat 4 x 8, 3 sec neg. Triple drop on last set.

Allen Cress
09-23-2013, 12:54 PM
I am leaving for the Olympia Friday and will take 3 days off from training and start my new protocol when I return. Really looking forward to this trip. I have an ART session with Derik Farnsworth when I arrive Friday and will film it for my Youtube channel.

Weight is holding steady at 210-211 lbs. Current Macros are 350p, 400c, 60f.

Shoulders
1) Seated side lateral, slow tempo 4 x 10
2) Reverse pec deck 4 x 20
3) One arm cable side lateral, explosive concentric, 1 sec flex. 3 x 12
4) Bent DB laterals 4 x 15
5) Machine Press 3 x 20

Triceps
1) Reverse grip pressdown, slow tempo 4 x 10
2) Rope pressdown, 2 sec flex. 4 x 10
3) Overhead cable ext 4 x 15

POWERZN
10-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Hi Allen, you're quit lately, can I also ask you quastion about the cycle diet since you've been on it a few times,
I was 2 times on it, a few years ago but I failed on it each time so maybe I did something wrong.
I have the DVD : the cycle diet so I know what it's about but I got each time too fat again, maybe a few details done wrong I gues. eric

Allen Cress
10-21-2013, 11:29 AM
Hi Allen, you're quit lately, can I also ask you quastion about the cycle diet since you've been on it a few times,
I was 2 times on it, a few years ago but I failed on it each time so maybe I did something wrong.
I have the DVD : the cycle diet so I know what it's about but I got each time too fat again, maybe a few details done wrong I gues. eric

I have been traveling a lot lately and staying very busy with clients as well. If you were gaining fat on the cycle diet your were not in a supercompensated state. You have to diet down to get to a place where you can be on the cycle diet, you can't just start it right up with a whole re-feed day or you will just get fat.

Allen Cress
10-21-2013, 11:36 AM
I have traveling a lot lately and clients have been keeping me very busy as well. I am about 10-12 weeks away from starting my contest prep. Currently I am around 212 lbs and had a dexa scan and am sitting at 8.1% bodyfat. My current macros are 330g protein, 350g carbs, 60g fat. I am going to make a little push on the calories jumping my carbs up to 400g and look to be at 215 lbs before prep starts.

I have been designing a new and very promising training protocol for hypertrophy and it has been working great! Just to give a little insight without giving to much away I am training 5-7 days per week depending on how I feel and recovery, I train every body part each day. It is a cumulative type program with a rep variant base. My joints feel great and my whole body is pumped pretty much all the time. I have a couple more weeks on it then I will start my next short phase of training to lead into contest prep. Since I will be starting prep at a lean state I look to only lose maybe 15-20lbs max over my 16 week prep.

Coke
10-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Really like what you are doing man, great approach to it all. Contest prep phase is going to be tight.

Allen Cress
10-29-2013, 12:55 PM
My current split, which I started yesterday is:
Monday: Back & Shoulders
Tuesdays: Hamstrings & Calves
Wednesday: Chest
Thursdays: OFF
Fridays: Quads & Calves
Saturdays: Arms
Sundays: OFF

Yesterdays workout:
Back & Shoulders

A1 Wide Pull 4 x 6-8
A2 Seated DB Press 4 x 10-12

B1 Close grip Cable Row (lower abs) 4 x 10-12
B2 Bent Over rear lateral 4 x 10-12

C1 Bent arm DB Pull Over 4 x 10-12
C2 DB Side Lateral Raises (drop set) 4 x 8+8+8

D1 One arm Row variation 2-3 x 10-15
D2 Single arm lateral 2-3 x 15

POWERZN
11-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Allen, where do you bring core into the program, or is it done on a seperate day as a ab-core circuit ?
ERIC

Allen Cress
11-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Allen, where do you bring core into the program, or is it done on a seperate day as a ab-core circuit ?
ERIC

Some programs like this one I just do a few exercises here and there, They are not planned.

Allen Cress
12-04-2013, 08:54 AM
This week I started an over reaching program that I will do for 3-4 weeks then take a few days off and get a nice slingshot effect into contest prep. I will train twice per day on Mon, Tues, & Thursday. Then train once per day on Friday. Here is the split:

Monday: Arms AM/PM
Tuesday: Legs AM/PM
Wed: OFF
Thursday: Chest & Back AM/PM
Friday: Shoulders & Calves.

My bodyweight is 215lbs and I will obviously have to increase my calories for the 2 a day sessions to aid in recovery. New macros are 330g protein/ 450g carbs/ 50g fat

Allen Cress
12-11-2013, 04:05 AM
Morning

1a) Lying Leg curl 5 x 6-8
rest 2 min
1b) Wide stance Squat 5 x 5-7
rest 2 min

2a) Leg press 4 x 10
rest 90 sec
2b) Walking Lunge 4 x 8 EL
rest 90 sec

Evening

1a) Close stance Safety bar squat 3 x 8-10
1b) Hack squat 3 x 12-15
1c) Leg extension 3 x 25
rest 2 min

2a) Glute/Ham raise 3 x 8
2b) Reverse Hyper 3 x 10-12
2c) Leg curl 3 x 25

I used specific tempos on every exercise and only went to failure on the evening workouts. 3 more weeks til prep starts and my weight is up 7lbs since starting 2 a days last week.

Allen Cress
12-16-2013, 12:21 PM
AM workout

1a) Preacher curl 5 x 5-7
rest 60 sec
1b) Close grip bench 5 x 5-7
rest 60 sec

2a) Incline DB curl 5 x 8-10
rest 60 sec
2b) Lying ext. 5 x 8-10
rest 60 sec

PM workout