PDA

View Full Version : seated cable row vs hammer strength low row.

Hellrazor
06-13-2002, 05:07 PM
The hammer strength version seems to look better and trendier but is it ???

I know theyre practically the same excercise and both work the same muscle but the good thing I like about the good old seated row is the stretch you get on the lats on the eccentric phase...I probably sometimes lean too far over.

You`re probably all going to say to alternate between the two ? opinions please on what you all prefer ( that is if you`ve used both variations ).

Same goes for all hammer strength machines in general like plate loaded lat pulldowns, shoulder press, bench press etc.. Most of them have a better range of motion eg..lat pull comes down in an arc motion, bench press arcs and comes together at end of rep like a dumbell press etc....Do you guys think it makes much of a difference ???

Fudomyo
06-14-2002, 08:51 AM
The Hammer "low row" at my gym is more of a bent over row type of motion. Should be good for a little more upper back development. Rhomboids, mid trap, and lat of course. Low row clearly uses those as well (compared to like a pulldown).

The plus is that you can't cheat and use your low back for some momentum.

-Fudo

millertime
06-14-2002, 09:06 AM
Do an DB or BB row instead, leave the machines alone.

nate allan
06-14-2002, 10:52 AM
Actually I think that Hammer strength machines are some of the better machines out there. I think they work pretty good.

Neil
06-14-2002, 11:12 AM
I would personally use the machine, especially if you are doing heavy deads or squats. BB, t-bar, and cable rows put way to much stress on the lower back IMO.

butterball
06-16-2002, 05:50 AM
dumbell rows-king of back

gopher
06-16-2002, 02:49 PM
and I'd choose bent over BB rows over either the cable or the HS rows.

Hellrazor
06-16-2002, 05:38 PM
Couldn`t agree more...some people say deadlifts dont really work your back only the erectors, traps and hams.

My god I havent been deadlifting for long but the first few times I did them, my entire back, rhomboids,erectors, teres, lats, traps..all were sore for days, when I`d trained back before without deads I`d never felt that, even when doing specific excercises for each muscle. Deadlifts are indeed theking of back excercises.:D