PDA

View Full Version : Need help with hip and core accessory work!

Caitlyn_Trout
05-19-2012, 08:11 AM
I am new to powerlifting, (started last Dec. 2012) and found that squatting without knee wraps makes me rely on my back more than my hips and I tend to fall forward on the way out of the hole sometimes when I'm going heavy. I've been told that strengthening my core more and my hips will help with this but I would like to know some variety of exercises that will do this besides glute bridges and suit case dl. All opinions are welcome and I appreciate it.

ScottYard
05-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Wide Low raw box squats, Pause squats while lpushing knees out as hard as possible. Knee outs with a mini band aroiund your knees. Clam shells for high reps. Pauloff presses for the core. Add them to the mix as finishing lifts and youll be ok. I would focus on your upper and mid back as well with heavy shrugs and rows to keep your arch tighter. A SSB would be abig help for you.

Caitlyn_Trout
05-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Wide Low raw box squats, Pause squats while lpushing knees out as hard as possible. Knee outs with a mini band aroiund your knees. Clam shells for high reps. Pauloff presses for the core. Add them to the mix as finishing lifts and youll be ok. I would focus on your upper and mid back as well with heavy shrugs and rows to keep your arch tighter. A SSB would be abig help for you.

Thanks! I will definitely incorporate these into my workouts!

theBarzeen
05-19-2012, 03:25 PM
I agree with Scott on the low box squats..... I like to do these with a rackable cambered bar and a ton of chain weight, set so that the chains are all the way off the ground and swinging free at the top..... really forces you to stay tight.

I could also recommend doing heavy kettlebell swings ( like a pull-through motion) or dumbbell cleans ( not from the floor but from a swinging start usually).

Good luck