PDA

View Full Version : Reactive training system..

J L S
05-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Fella's

I have been PL'ing best part of 3 years now and almost exclusively followed a conjugate style approach, however I have been doing some reading and am very curious about Mike Tuchscherer's system and approaches to training

are there any lifters on here who have had any success with it or use the system now or have in the past...

Alex.V
05-23-2012, 02:38 PM
I know similar systems have been around in nearly every sport for decades, falling in and out of favor, and results are usually thoroughly underwhelming...

But no, no personal experience.

Butcher
05-23-2012, 04:02 PM
I have been using it for a little while now and am a huge fan of it.

RhodeHouse
05-24-2012, 12:56 PM
We use a form of it. I like it , thus far. I'll have a better answer in 5 weeks after I compete. I'll have been on the program for 22 weeks, so that should be enough time to let me know how good it is.

J L S
05-27-2012, 01:13 PM
I read mikes book a few days ago now and it seems legit, I had to read it a few times over to really grasp how its all put together but I do like it. I may give it a run in the not so distant future, maybe even after this training cycle leading into my next meet.

The only thing that slightly concerns me is how he says to just pick a random protocol for the rep/set schemes and I could see myself being a bit too overzealous with the whole RPE system and not being true to myself with 'how hard' a lift or set actually was

Also the book didnt seem to explain the whole transition weeks too well, and I have heard alot of people who use the system talk of sport form weeks.. which i didnt happen to see in the book!?

Butcher
05-27-2012, 01:57 PM
There have been a few new ideas that have come out since the book was written, kind of like how Westside's articles have evolved over the years. Where does he say just pick a random protocol? That sounds really odd. Some chapters of the book are meant to be discarded when you adapt ideas from other chapters. Like where in the first few chapters he talks about pre-planning sets and then when he introduces fatigue percents the idea of preplanning sets can be discarded. Perhaps the random protocols is like that?

Transition blocks fill whatever gap you need them too. A deload could be a transition block. Going from low intensity to very high intensity blocks a transition block could bridge the gap with moderate high intensity. Basically it fills whatever purpose you need it to and isn't exactly a neccessary component.

Sport form block is usually 1, maybe 2 weeks with highly specific training. At least one mock meet or two.

Have you seen the articles on his website? http://reactivetrainingsystems.com/articles/training-articles

Chubrock
05-28-2012, 06:30 PM
I'm following a form of this that was written for me by HomeYield off the board. The first 12 weeks I ran it I hit an 80lbs 3 lift PR. HomeYield ran it for 12 weeks leading up to his SPF meet and hit something like a 100lbs meet PR and totaled Elite for the first time. I'm a big believer in what he has me running.

RhodeHouse
05-28-2012, 08:06 PM
I'm following a form of this that was written for me by HomeYield off the board. The first 12 weeks I ran it I hit an 80lbs 3 lift PR. HomeYield ran it for 12 weeks leading up to his SPF meet and hit something like a 100lbs meet PR and totaled Elite for the first time. I'm a big believer in what he has me running.

That's some great progress.

J L S
05-29-2012, 05:36 AM
There have been a few new ideas that have come out since the book was written, kind of like how Westside's articles have evolved over the years. Where does he say just pick a random protocol? That sounds really odd. Some chapters of the book are meant to be discarded when you adapt ideas from other chapters. Like where in the first few chapters he talks about pre-planning sets and then when he introduces fatigue percents the idea of preplanning sets can be discarded. Perhaps the random protocols is like that?

Transition blocks fill whatever gap you need them too. A deload could be a transition block. Going from low intensity to very high intensity blocks a transition block could bridge the gap with moderate high intensity. Basically it fills whatever purpose you need it to and isn't exactly a neccessary component.

Sport form block is usually 1, maybe 2 weeks with highly specific training. At least one mock meet or two.

Have you seen the articles on his website? http://reactivetrainingsystems.com/articles/training-articles

Butcher, I think you have hit the nail on the head there. Some very good answers! yeah I read after I posted that original post you must use the protocols to your specific needs! Has to be a reason to use them! I spoke on the phone with a friend of mine who is using the system and he basically has said all the same things as you!

he also mentioned id probably be better off buying mikes DVD, as a few of them have spoke with him on the phone etc so I think its pretty clear I still have plenty of reading to do!

That's some great progress.

that is some serious progress!