PDA

View Full Version : Why Am I Weight Training

1more
05-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Please forgive this post as I know it must have been discussed in various forms but I just cant understand why you are suppose to weight train while dieting and trying to lose weight. I can understand doing cardio but why am I suppose to weight lift and fatigue my muscles if I am on a calorie deficient diet. I much prefer weight lifting to cardio but I don't want my poor muscles to shrivel up more than they probably are. Shouldn't I just diet and do cardio until I drop the weight and then start to lift?
Please just settle this dilemma for me because many things I have read seem to have contradictory answers.
Thanks for any help than can be given

JacobH
05-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Lifting weights while on a caloric deficit will trigger a growth stimulus. Now, since you aren't taking in enough calories to grow new muscle, your body will simply decide you need to keep what muscle you have and try to use other resources as fuel(fat). Funny thing is, cardio is NOT muscle sparing, meaning, your body sees all this nice muscle you have as perfect fuel to feed you on your silly runs. Basically, stopping lifting and doing cardio on a diet is the worst possible thing you can do to retain muscle.

1more
05-30-2012, 06:44 AM
Lifting weights while on a caloric deficit will trigger a growth stimulus. Now, since you aren't taking in enough calories to grow new muscle, your body will simply decide you need to keep what muscle you have and try to use other resources as fuel(fat). Funny thing is, cardio is NOT muscle sparing, meaning, your body sees all this nice muscle you have as perfect fuel to feed you on your silly runs. Basically, stopping lifting and doing cardio on a diet is the worst possible thing you can do to retain muscle.

I can understand the logic behind what you have said and it does make sense to me but in so many posts and articles we are told how complex it is to build muscles and how it is important to protect them with all sorts of nutrients and dieting just seems to be the opposite of what we're suppose to do if trying to build or protect muscle

Cards
05-30-2012, 07:25 AM
So don't diet. You've been on this forum since 2003 and just now asking these questions?

NITF
05-30-2012, 07:31 AM
So don't diet. You've been on this forum since 2003 and just now asking these questions?

ouch! ziinga!

1more
05-30-2012, 10:42 AM

Actually since 2003 many things in my life have happened and unfortunately miy weight had risen to 206lb from what I would have liked which would have been about 165-175lb.I am down to about 189lb after 2 months of diet and cardio. I just wanted to clarify what I should be doing as I try to lose the next 15-20lbs.
And if people are gonna mention "Ziinga" it best be a KFC ZINGER

JacobH
05-30-2012, 12:26 PM
I can understand the logic behind what you have said and it does make sense to me but in so many posts and articles we are told how complex it is to build muscles and how it is important to protect them with all sorts of nutrients and dieting just seems to be the opposite of what we're suppose to do if trying to build or protect muscle

It is absolutely true that dieting to low levels of body fat will eat away at at least some of your muscle. Dieting IS terrible for your muscles. We all know this. But if you want to lose fat, you have no other choice. That's all there is to it. Part of the game. And don't let all the bullshit from magazines and articles throw you off, all you need to do to "protect your muscles" is work them out, and keep protein high.

Jonathan E
05-30-2012, 12:29 PM
. I much prefer weight lifting to cardio but I don't want my poor muscles to shrivel up more than they probably are.

Thats the equivalent of saying "Im going to protect myself from a heart attack by going to Mcdonalds everyday."

Your answer is simple: If you want to lose weight, get on a diet and weight lift. You will loss weight due to your calorie deficit and you will AT THE VERY LEAST maintain what muscle mass you have if you workout/eat correctly. Hell, depending where your at, you might even pack a little more muscle on.

1more
05-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Thanks all, I will be glad to start doing something other than cardio