PDA

View Full Version : how much fruit per day

yayeti
05-29-2012, 08:40 PM
I was reading lyle's flexible dieting book and it says when you plan meals to take do carbs from fruits first then from starches. I am assuming he suggests to have fruit with every meal. Was just wondering how much fruits and veggies you guys have each day. Is he suggesting to have roughly 3 apples and 3 bananas per day. Seems like alot.

Bako Lifter
05-29-2012, 08:50 PM
I don't think so... I have been under the impression to consume a limited amount of fruit, and only around workout time. But idk.

I eat berries with breakfast 2-3 times per week and half a banana in my post and pre workout shake.

But I'm fat and am still trying to learn about nutrient timing.

Tom Mutaffis
05-31-2012, 12:52 PM
I was reading lyle's flexible dieting book and it says when you plan meals to take do carbs from fruits first then from starches. I am assuming he suggests to have fruit with every meal. Was just wondering how much fruits and veggies you guys have each day. Is he suggesting to have roughly 3 apples and 3 bananas per day. Seems like alot.

I usually have a banana as a snack in-between meals (typically with a protein shake), and will sometimes have a shake with additional fruit in the afternoon (berries, apples, etc.).

Three bananas and three apples does seem like quite a bit, although they are portable and easy to 'prepare' as well as inexpensive.

blackmetal
05-31-2012, 02:32 PM
I've read lots of articles on nutrition, and usually the norm is to have two servings of fruit per day. I suppose it depends on your goals. Fruit contains mostly sugar (which is taken as carbs in the body), so you're likely to ingest too many carbs if you have too much fruit. I guess if you're bulking, having an extra serving of fruit is better than a chocolate bar.