PDA

View Full Version : Squat question to all the raw dawgs

t gale
05-31-2012, 09:49 AM
How often if ever do you squat to a box? Is it mostly on a de day or do you also use it on ur heavy days

44pirate
05-31-2012, 12:32 PM
I do it on DE and ME days. About 4-6 weeks out from comp I don't use box on ME days. Always on DE.

Justin Randal
05-31-2012, 01:09 PM
Box squats are an awesome tool. I tend to utilize box squats every other week.

ScottYard
05-31-2012, 03:03 PM
From what i have seen, box squats teach raw guys how to get sloppy and it screws up there regular squat. I dont dont use them at all.

Butcher
05-31-2012, 03:33 PM
From what i have seen, box squats teach raw guys how to get sloppy and it screws up there regular squat. I dont dont use them at all.

That was my experiance. Rather than try to clean up my box squat technique I just stopped doing them and haven't missed them.

Cards
05-31-2012, 04:38 PM

Sloppy as in poor form, not staying tight, that type of thing?

ScottYard
05-31-2012, 04:54 PM
Sloppy as in poor form, not staying tight, that type of thing?

Exactly. They all reached for the box and looked like hell in the hole with out the box as a crutch.

t gale
05-31-2012, 04:58 PM
Yeah Scott, I have been training raw a lot more this past year. And I really don't use them often maybe on light days to pause longer and build explosive power out of the hole. Just trying to hear from more experienced
People like yourself and Randall

Brian Hopper
05-31-2012, 06:46 PM
I haven't squatted to a box in a long time. I might play around with one on my lower accessory day, but not on my regular squat day. I never felt comfortable when I took the box away. If you want to build power out of the hole, try doing some paused squats or squats from the bottom up.

BULK_BOY
05-31-2012, 08:22 PM
Never done them. Don't plan on it either.

byronsru24
05-31-2012, 08:34 PM

I'm the same way Scott. I squatted to a box for years. Since ditching it my free squat has improved a ton technique wise. I'll throw in a low box squat as a ME exercise once every few months to change things up, but otherwise I just free squat now.

Niko_El_Piko
06-02-2012, 02:48 PM
I haven't squatted to a box in a long time. I might play around with one on my lower accessory day, but not on my regular squat day. I never felt comfortable when I took the box away. If you want to build power out of the hole, try doing some paused squats or squats from the bottom up.

I agree with all thatís been said.
I donít use Box Sq on ME days.

I use a very low box occasionally as a hamstring accessory work, and no more than 70/75% of 1 Max.

SELK
06-02-2012, 05:25 PM
I got great carryover from box squats to a raw squat. Whatever I can box squat raw I can usually add 15% and free squat it. I dont compete raw but ive taken some heavy raw squats in training.

44pirate
06-02-2012, 06:42 PM
I got great carryover from box squats to a raw squat. Whatever I can box squat raw I can usually add 15% and free squat it. I dont compete raw but ive taken some heavy raw squats in training.

Same for me. I do compete raw. Tomorrow I will be competing APA.

mastermonster
06-02-2012, 07:16 PM
I think they are great if you don't do the West Side style total deload to the box type. I use them only to reinforce the technique of sitting back to the box. I use them myself from time to time to make sure I'm not getting into bad habits and use them more often with our newer lifters to get them out of the habit of breaking forward with the knees instead of breaking at the hip 1st and sitting back. We don't deload at all. As soon as we feel box we come up. It also is a great tool to reinforce when you are at proper depth. This works well either raw or equipped.

t gale
06-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Just wanted to say Thank you to all for taking time out and givning some valuable info. It seems that box squat is like almost anything else"different strokes for different folks". I figured it would be that way. I was just curious to peoples reasoning for y or y not. again thanks

Brian Hopper
06-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Tim, I think it's something your going to have to try and see if it works for you. After my meet, I plan on taking it down a notch and i'll probably do some box squats, hoping to see some sort of results.

M.T. Neal
06-03-2012, 02:23 AM
I never liked box squats. I prefer pause squats, always feel like they give me a lot of power.

Justin Randal
06-04-2012, 11:52 AM

I definately agree with this but think that using box squats for speed work every couple weeks can be a great thing. I only hit up max effort box squats ever 6-8 weeks when training raw. Doing them too often has definately thrown me off.

corey_hayes
06-04-2012, 02:32 PM
I dislike raw box squats as a main lift, i see them more as an assistance movement for a raw guy

I box squatted once in my prep for 725/220 and thats just because i took a trip to westside

RhodeHouse
06-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Never use a box. Practice how you play. There are no box squat competitions.

Chicksanboy
06-06-2012, 12:40 PM
I always use a box for DE days and I use it for ME days 75% of the time. I love them, I get great carryover from them and Im not nearly as sore. Just an opinion of a non-pro

April Mathis
06-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Agree with never use a box for heavy squatting. I have done it for a few lighter sets as assistance once in a great while. Box squatting raw is nothing like free squatting raw. The technique is completely different. Now it is much more similar to technique with gear so that makes sense. I do not personally know any big raw squatters that use them much.

J L S
06-07-2012, 04:25 PM
just going to throw my hat into the ring here and say since I have taken the box away on DE squat days my squat has moved alot more. I think the best way for a raw squatter to use the box is for higher reps as an accessory movement to build the squatting muscles and always use a below parralel box. That was the biggest mistake I made, I do like rhodes point though alot and wish I would have realised that sooner

Only time I use the box for ME work is a 12'' SSB squat because its horrible and is teaching me how stay tight and encouraging me not to eat the floor when a squat goes wrong!

Brian Hopper
06-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Agree with never use a box for heavy squatting. I have done it for a few lighter sets as assistance once in a great while. Box squatting raw is nothing like free squatting raw. The technique is completely different. Now it is much more similar to technique with gear so that makes sense. I do not personally know any big raw squatters that use them much.

I think the only big squatter that uses a box is Robert Wilkerson.

April Mathis
06-08-2012, 03:11 PM
I think the only big squatter that uses a box is Robert Wilkerson.

You're right I forgot he does sometimes. I've seen a lot of his training videos with free squatting also, so I know it's not all the time.

RhodeHouse
06-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Big Rob is a freak! He can do whatever he wants. Dude is the best raw squatter of all time.

corey_hayes
06-10-2012, 08:36 AM
Big Rob is a freak! He can do whatever he wants. Dude is the best raw squatter of all time.

He might be the only 1000lb raw squatter but he sure isnt the best raw squatter of all time, malanichev did 993 weighing about 130-140lbs lighter...Wilk is strong as dick though, not trying to argue otherwise on that

RhodeHouse
06-10-2012, 06:19 PM
He might be the only 1000lb raw squatter but he sure isnt the best raw squatter of all time, malanichev did 993 weighing about 130-140lbs lighter...Wilk is strong as dick though, not trying to argue otherwise on that

I you weren't trying to argue you wouldn't have posted that.

I'm pretty sure 1000 is bigger than 993. I was a History guy, but that's basic math. As far as bodyweight - who gives a fuck. Big Rob lifted more and that's all that matters.

kaspersky
07-04-2012, 10:12 PM
I never liked box squats. I prefer pause squats, always feel like they give me a lot of power.