PDA

View Full Version : Speed bench vid

vdizenzo
06-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Here's a vid of my speed work from Monday. It was the heaviest week of a three week wave. I think it was on the edge of being too heavy to be considered DE. I think it looks a little better than I thought it would. Definitely felt crazy heavy. Also, DE falls on the 4th consecutive day of my training. Curious on thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfIpdZZbJ8M

byronsru24
06-05-2012, 08:53 PM
I think so long as it felt "fast" to you, then thats the important thing. I know one of my old training partners was craaaaazy explosive on his speed benches. While another of my old training partners de benches looked slow as shit haha. But both knew when to back off if their DE stuff was impacting their ME day. So long as its not doing that, then keep doing it in my opinion

t gale
06-06-2012, 06:38 AM
I think your speed is pretty good there. Especially taking into account 4th in a row of training, heaviest speed week and it is ur last couple sets. I just don't understand how ur shoulders and elbows aren't falling off with all the extra tension and load there!

larsen540
06-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Hey great pressing sir. I think your speed was on spot. As long as you felt good bout it. Great Job

Travis Bell
06-06-2012, 09:31 AM
I think considering your past videos this one appears a tad slow for you. However thats a TON of weight for DE work so it's still impressive the speed you move it at.

RhodeHouse
06-06-2012, 09:38 AM
You look loose on the bench. Might just be DE day form, though.

I think your question about DE day being your 4th consecutive day of training answered itself. You do DE work to help your bench. Doing it after 3 days of hard training can't be the most beneficial way to do it. I'd move Saturday or Sunday to Tuesday. I know you like 3 days off before Friday, but you're conditioned well enough to get ample rest in 2 days. Plus, DE day is just as important as Friday.

vdizenzo
06-07-2012, 05:50 AM
I really like my 4 days of consecutive training, it has allowed me to recover and hit pr after pr on Fridays. Mondays are tough, but I have been hitting pr's there also. I knew this was going to be a really tough week of DE. I just wanted opinions on whether I pushed it too far. From the comments I feel like it was still within the realm of speed work.

I don't pretend to know what the top tension was, but I hazard to guess I was working above the 70% range based off of my best raw bench of 570 at 275. I am going to deload de next week and then restart another 3 week wave. That should take me to about 12 days out from my meet if all goes as planned. However, as Brian said, that's why we write our programs in pencil.

Niko_El_Piko
06-17-2012, 05:59 PM
You are doing the 3 reps in aproximately over 4 seconds. It seems a little slow for a DE, but fast enough considering the 70% weight and a 4 day consecutive training.
Wouldn´t it be a good idea to cut to 2 reps using that much weight?

vdizenzo
06-18-2012, 10:28 AM
You are doing the 3 reps in aproximately over 4 seconds. It seems a little slow for a DE, but fast enough considering the 70% weight and a 4 day consecutive training.
Wouldn´t it be a good idea to cut to 2 reps using that much weight?

Thx for the critique. I think I am first going to experiement with increasing my rest intervals.

Rob Luyando
06-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Nice work Vincent! But what is the purpose of using both bands and chains at the same time verses ussing either more band tension or more chain weight? And yes this is me being serious for a change.

Travis Bell
06-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Even though I'm much better looking, I'm clearly not Vincent so take this for what it's worth

But when I choose to do bands and chains, I do it because I like how the chains create a bit more movement than the bands do. Bands are great for tension, but I tend to lock into a groove and press against the bands sometimes. So when I go to straight weight I am searching for that groove. Whereas with the chains and the bands, you don't really get that groove. It's just enough different to make it worthwhile.

RhodeHouse
06-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Thx for the critique. I think I am first going to experiement with increasing my rest intervals.

I like the idea of increasing your rest periods, eventhough the set was a great speed set. It only makes sense. The idea of the day is to be fast and explosive. You can't be explosive with inadequate rest periods. I think the increased rest will increase your speed and power.

vdizenzo
06-18-2012, 11:26 AM
I find DE can get boring/stagnant for me. I have played with different kinds of progressive overload with my DE before, just never this way. Now, I wave one week straight weight. One week weight and chains. Then the last week is weight, chains and bands. I call it complimentary resistance. I just made that up, pretty good huh?

I mean the whole thing is based off Prilipin's chart anyway. As long as I take the resistance into account and stay somewhere between 55-80% it should work in theory.

vdizenzo
06-18-2012, 11:28 AM
I like the idea of increasing your rest periods, eventhough the set was a great speed set. It only makes sense. The idea of the day is to be fast and explosive. You can't be explosive with inadequate rest periods. I think the increased rest will increase your speed and power.

That is why I have pledged my undying love to you.

vdizenzo
06-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Used between 2-3 minute rest intervals with 315 + 4 chains tonight and it went really well. I set my timer for 2 minutes and I would then wrap my wrists. Yeah, I have not been wrapping the last couple of weeks, but I'll need everything I got for this week and next week. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Boomshakalaka!

Justin Randal
06-18-2012, 08:26 PM
I think the speed looks pretty good but know that speed can be a relative term. I get what you mean about the weight feeling heavy but looking fast. I tend to back off a bit it it starts to feel that way. Looks plenty strong though.

RhodeHouse
06-18-2012, 09:39 PM
2-3 minutes was actually what I was thinking, too. Good stuff, Cenzo. Do what needs to be done to hit your numbers.

chris mason
06-18-2012, 11:05 PM
So many variables...

What you are working on there is more strength speed than speed strength. That is a more intense form of training and the question is will it aid or inhibit your absolute strength both short and long term? It might aid it short term and then overwhelm recovery ability longer term. Short term overreaching can be of benefit once you allow for delayed transformation (DT), but too many see a benefit even before the DT and push it too long and end up overtrained, injured, or both.

vdizenzo
06-19-2012, 05:33 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, this has been a really good learning thread for me. I hear your point Chris, I have one more week with the heavier speed work. After that I'll have just shy of three weeks until my meet where I'll cut it back.

Niko_El_Piko
06-23-2012, 02:09 PM
So many variables...

What you are working on there is more strength speed than speed strength.

I thinks THIS is the key.
Keep up the good work Vince!

RhodeHouse
06-23-2012, 09:17 PM
I thinks THIS is the key.
Keep up the good work Vince!

What's the key? What's the difference between strength speed and speed strength?

Niko_El_Piko
06-28-2012, 12:21 PM
What's the key? What's the difference between strength speed and speed strength?

Sorry Matt, miss your post.

http://articles.elitefts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Figure-1.jpg

It basically refers to the physics law force =mass x acceleration.

So for example if you want to score a 10 in force and move allong the curve you can either work:

Force Mass Acceleration
10........10............1 = Maximal Strength
10..........5...........2 = Strength Speed
10......... 3.5.........2.855 = Power
10..........2............5 = Speed Strength
10..........1..........10 = Speed

Additional info: http://www.sportsci.com/sportsci/january/F-V%20CURVE.htm