PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I squat?

KJDANEXT0
06-06-2012, 07:12 PM

weight: 170 lbs aprox

height: 6"0

Ok well I have a serious problem and I need some help.

I simply cannot squat over 200lbs for reps of over 2. I've watched videos for weeks and looked around but I still can't squat. It sickens me when I see a girl lighter than me who can squat more. What the hell is wrong here? 6"0 isn't that tall surely. I can deadlift more(over 300lbs, not great but I don't have any more weights) and can bench around 200lbs.

Been training for 9 weeks now and my squat is still crap. I just find the movement really difficult to do with any kind of weight. My brothers are both personal trainers and 1 can only squat 120kg for 1 and the other 100kg for 10. Their squats don't seem very good either so either we're all lifting wrong or else we just can't squat.

Ive tried high and low bar, narrow and wide stance. Nothing works. I think my only options left are to either half squat all day or else replace the back squat with something else like a front or zercher squat, I don't know.

Please somebody help me. This issue has been a big pain for me all through my training. To think that a 95lbs girl at 9 can squat almost the same as me makes me want to cry.

Please, somebody.

Cards
06-06-2012, 07:25 PM
post a video

Off Road
06-06-2012, 07:50 PM
9 weeks of training isn't very long. Big numbers take a long time, just stick with it.

NITF
06-06-2012, 08:07 PM
just use the wt you're capable of and try to improve... 200lbs isn't a lot but it is not that bad either... don't make such a big deal about it.

sandcracker21
06-06-2012, 09:00 PM
make sure your doing it correctly. Read starting strength or just look around on here.

Feet placement make a big difference as well. I get the most power from just a tiny bit wider than shoulder length apart, most others go a little wider than this though.

DontTakeEmOff31
06-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Others have said it already more or less, you're just not strong enough. 9 weeks training time is nothing, especially if a good part of that is just learning the movement.

Leave your ego at the door, the 95lb chick that is squatting more than you is STRONGER than you. Thats the simple fact. If you are new to the game get on a training program and follow it, and focus on what you can lift. No matter what weight you THINK you should be doing, you can't do it yet.

The single biggest improvement you can make toward squatting and lifting in general is to drop the ego. At 16 years old I understand, wanting to put up big numbers is awesome and seeing someone other than you do it is hard to swallow sometimes. But if you want to get stronger, learn to live with the fact that someone smaller, younger, older, fatter, whatever, is stronger than you, and keep focused on your training alone.

GazzyG
06-07-2012, 04:23 AM
One thing lifting teaches you, I've found, is humility. Especially when you've just racked a great PR, buzzing, then someone comes along and uses it to warm up with.

Something you need to deal with.

And as others have said, you've been training five minutes; give it another few months and you'll be moaning about 300lbs, then 400lbs, lol.

KJDANEXT0
06-07-2012, 06:20 AM
Ok I guess my only way to go now is just to shutup and squat. I may try front squats to see if I can lift more on Friday. If not then
fuck it I'm just gonna back squat all day.

GazzyG
06-07-2012, 07:07 AM
Sounds like a plan, just stick it at.

Some people have a tougher time with lifts than others, it's all about leverages.

ScottYard
06-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Start a system and run it for atleast 3 months. Look into 531. Its simple and great for every level lifter. You dont need to be doing max doubles right now. learn technique by doing a minimum of 5 reps each set.

theBarzeen
06-07-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm with the 90% of guys above...... if lifting heavy were easy and gains came quick then everyone would be doing it.

9 weeks isn't enough time to judge anything yet..... it took me 9 months+ to be able to bench 135. Just keep at it.

Just another perspective though..... my wife is all of 5'2 on a good day and competes as a light 132, blond and pretty unassuming looking..... and LOVES when we train at a commercial gym ( on vacation or just to visit a buddy for a workout) because she's the little girl who will warm up with most guys max and squat it deeper, effortlessly..... around a 250 raw squatter, 400+ in gear..... young guys like you get all worked up because they just see what she looks like, not the 4 years of her consistent training with some of the best squatters around......

Sensei
06-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Ok I guess my only way to go now is just to shutup and squat. I may try front squats to see if I can lift more on Friday. If not then
fuck it I'm just gonna back squat all day.
You've been squatting for 9 weeks and keep f---ing around with your form. Stick with ONE and get strong!

K Y L E
06-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Squatting 200+ took me 8 months. What I learned is to vary it up with your own form and find out what works best for you. Personally, my workout plan is based on madcow 5x5, and for the first three or four sets, I'll have my feet closer together, and go all the way deep. When I get up to a higher working weight, I lower the ROM by having a wider stance and only going down to just below parallel. Maybe you just need a better diet. Like others have said, get a video and post it here, there's plenty of guys with a lot more experience here than you and I that can give you advice based on just a video.

BloodandThunder
06-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Stop worrying what a 95 lb 9 year old can do. That's not going to add 1 lb to your squat. If you're going to watch videos, do it to learn something. I suggest Wenning's So You Think You Can Squat and Squat Rx's videos on youtube.

Then:

Step 1: Eat. Eat some more. Then keep eating.
Step 2: Squat 2-3x a week on a simple plan built on a solid timely progression to refine technique. Don't just walk in and squat random weights or worry about what your double. Stick to a plan.
Step 3: Sleep. Alot.
Step 4: ?
Step 5: Profit.

Go against the grain, post videos, get feedback, and keep plugging away. The strongest don't just magically get strong, it's built around years of solid training and dedication and learning how to keep pushing through.