PDA

View Full Version : Gym Etiquette

3fingerVic
06-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Okay, we all know that doing curls in the squat rack is a no no. A quick explanation of why I'm posting. I'm overly courteous at the gym. Hey, are you on this, see anyone working here, you super setting? A few days ago, in the flat bench area, my partner and I are standing 6 inches from a bench quickly (20 seconds) talking about how many lbs.. A dude comes up drops a 40 lb. curling bar and leaves. At this point I'm thinking two things. First, we're both 300 lbs., didn't you see us here? Second, why bring a curling bar from the free weight area, where there are 5 flat benches without bar racks? I told my partner/nephew, "fuck it, he can move it let's do our sets." He comes back with another curling bar, 50 lbs., and another dude. He says, "I guess we'll move over there", while pointing at another flat bench with a bar rack. I just nodded. They then proceed to do scull crushers, backwards on the bench. I bit my tongue, but what I want to know is, is this an acceptable practice?

RFabsik
06-06-2012, 10:55 PM
If you guys were standing next to the bench, he should've said "Hey are you guys using this?"

If I'm understanding your post right, you guys were standing by a flat bench with uprights for "benching," and he brought equipment over from the area with free benches with no uprights. Seems strange unless the other ones without uprights were all taken.

How crowded does your gym get? I've been in some places where its so busy, I try to take advantage of any space I can get.

larsen540
06-07-2012, 07:11 AM
Next time pick up the curling bar and throw it across the freaking room. I promise he wont come back.

3fingerVic
06-07-2012, 07:15 AM
You're understanding the post correctly. The guy didn't even give me a chance to say we're on this bench, he just thew down the 1st curling bar and ran off. The bench area seemed busier than the free weight area. We went over there after we finished benching, to do incline DB presses and there was four flat benches open. I was telling my nephew, they could have waited if they were all full, which didn't seem like the case. To answer your question, it wasn't that busy.

3fingerVic
06-07-2012, 07:24 AM
Next time pick up the curling bar and throw it across the freaking room. I promise he wont come back.

I'm sure that would have worked. :) I probably would have left the gym with chalk all over me from the 4 competitive power lifters, that were in the bench area, after they shook my hand and patted me on the back.

vhenom
06-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Ive done skull crushers on a Flat Bench with bars but only because someone stole my Flat Bench while I was drinking water ( he was really big and I'm quite)

but I made sure no1 was using the Bench when i went over with my weights

theBarzeen
06-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Skull crushers are fine, but trying to push someone off a piece of equipment sounds like a bad call.....

as for the curl bars....... you could probably have done this with them... http://youtu.be/x--RoqrwiLI

it would make a great point.

mfgsu09
06-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Next time, just tell him he looks the last guy y'all killed.