PDA

View Full Version : Squat suit alterations

gmen5681
06-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Just got a new Metal pro squatter, anyone out there ever have experience adding velcro straps to it? it seems to be a little to long in the straps. for the time being i am just going to sew tabs into them to make them shorter, but i would like to eventually add velcro straps to it.

thank you for the help

theBarzeen
06-07-2012, 06:35 PM
I've added velcro to more than a few suits.... it's pretty easy to do.

The hardest part is finding suitable material to extend the straps with once you cut them apart.... took me around 90 minutes on the sewing machine once I had everything together and it came out nice.

The feel of the suit is different because the velcro doesn't stretch, makes the suit feel a lot more aggressive.
Just double check that your chosen federation is cool with velcro straps.

gmen5681
06-11-2012, 07:29 PM
I've added velcro to more than a few suits.... it's pretty easy to do.

The hardest part is finding suitable material to extend the straps with once you cut them apart.... took me around 90 minutes on the sewing machine once I had everything together and it came out nice.

The feel of the suit is different because the velcro doesn't stretch, makes the suit feel a lot more aggressive.
Just double check that your chosen federation is cool with velcro straps.

Thanks, i am going to cut up an old pair of briefs to extend the straps. I just need to find the velcro. Any way you could post a picture of your suit you added straps to? i just want to see where you cut (front side of the seam or backside)

thank you for the help.

theBarzeen
06-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Cut right on the seam. As for the velcro, look on amazon for aplix.

One thing to consider before cutting up gear..... the velcro doesn't stretch at all so the material sewn to it doesn't make any difference. It could be spandex, denim, or kevlar and would perform the same ( other than too light of a material just ripping)....

The easiest way to do this is to get online and get some 3" wide nylon webbing to use to extend the straps. If you use poly from briefs or denim you'll have to either use a serger or double up the edges so it won't fray. Seatbelt material or nylon webbing won't fray and is WAY easier to work with. Just double or triple it up if you want thicker straps. Sew it in from where the top of a pair of briefs would sit so the strap overlaps a good foot of original material, placing less stress per inch of seam that you create.

Good luck.