PDA

View Full Version : Full body workout questions

dustbuster
06-08-2012, 07:39 AM
Hey all, new to the forum, first post.

I've recently gotten back into lifting after taking the last four years off (quit once I didn't need to for highschool sports) and for the first time in my life I'm actually enjoying the gym. In fact, I'm enjoying it a little too much (more on this later). I'm posting this in the strength forum because I've always been a huge proponent of the idea that people who spend hours upon hours in the gym training their arms, and then their chest, etc. are basically a bunch of monkeys, just trying to look good for the girls or whatever. I'm lifting with the intention of building strength, and yeah, I'll be building mass as well (which I AM ok with) I just don't want large muscles to be my primary focus, I want to be POWERFUL. With all that covered, its on to my questions.

I'm currently doing a fullbody workout 3 times a week.
Monday--Squat, Bench, Standing Lat Pulldown, Leg Curl, UR Row, Skullcrusher, Drag Curl, BB Shrug.
Wednesday--Deadlift, Leg extension, DB Bench, Seated BB press, Seated Calf Raise, Cable Tri-extension, Concentration Curl, Rear Lateral
Friday--Leg Press, BB Row, RDL, Incline Bench, Side Lateral, Close Grip Bench, Pinwheel Curl, DB Shrug, Cable Crossover Ladder
I also complete some form of Abs every day

Starting Monday this coming week I'm going to add in forearm and grip strength exercises every lifting day once I'm done with my regular routine, as well as some conditioning (running or biking)

I run everything in 3x8 sets, adding 5 lbs to a lift every week. Once I am unable to complete 3x8 with a new weight I will go to 5x5 the next week, and once unable to complete that I will go to 8x3. I had my first failure this week on Wednesday with my concentration curls, so starting next week I will get to implement my progression plan for the first time and see how it works.

Here is my problem; now that I am truly lifting for my own purpose and enjoyment, I just can't get enough of it. I just want to lift more than I'm currently doing. Everything I've researched has said that you can only do three days a week of full-body unless you're on steroids or have great genetics. The thing is.. I do have fantastic genes. My father was a power lifter before he started Triathlons, and he was pretty damn good at both. Ever since I was young (even before I started lifting) I had great muscular structure and I've retained a fair amount of strength and size even though I've been sitting on a couch for the past few years. Building size and strength was always easy for me, and I recover quickly. I'm not saying I don't hit it hard enough in the gym, I'm always pushing myself and I'm always sore the next day, sometimes even up to two days later when I get into my next day of lifts. However, weirdly enough I enjoy the pain and I seem to get an even better lift in if I'm a little sore. Back to my main point, I want more.

I'm considering throwing in a routine on my off days (tuesday, thursday, saturday, rest sunday) doing x-fit in the mornings before work and a lighter, mostly bodyweight routine at night before dinner.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks to those who stuck with all the way.

Can anyone give me thoughts, tips, ideas? Much appreciated everyone, glad to be here!

vdizenzo
06-08-2012, 09:21 AM
I think if you want to do extra work you should go for it. You could try x-fit, but just remember, at some point something very well may suffer. Another possibility would be to keep it to conditioning/strongman stuff versus some of the direct weight training in x-fit. Sled drags, farmers carries, prowler pushes, sandbag carries, stones, etc.

Jonathan E
06-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Why not extend your workout plan across 4 days and cut the full body stuff?

Mon: ME Push/Pull
Tues: ME Legs
Thur: DE Push/Pull
Fri: DE Legs

Or any variation that suites you. That way you might be able to go more intense on specific areas.

GazzyG
06-08-2012, 10:54 AM
If you've got such great genetics (and from the sounds of it, you have) then get as much work in as you can.

Your body will soon tell you if you need to scale it back.

RhodeHouse
06-09-2012, 04:20 PM
If your goal is to get stronger and build mass, you seem to be doing too much and too much of the shit that is useless (ie: concentration curls, leg curls, leg extensions etc...) and not nearly enough back work. If you want to get stronger I love the full body training. But, you need to focus on the big stuff and don't worry about the little bullshit.

Squat, Deadlift, Cleans, Bench, Incline, Military Press, Pull-ups, Bent Rows

My philosophy when I train full body is Legs, Press, Back

Legs - Squat, Deadlift
Press - Bench, Incline, Military
Back - Deadlift, Cleans, Pull-ups, Rows

After the 3 main lifts I fill in the blanks with assistance work that compliments the main lift.

If I squat I assist with RDL's or something similar. If I Military Press I assist with Pull-ups.

You can set it up however you want, but drop the fluffy shit if you really want to get stronger.

As for the extra workouts because you're such a gentic freak - again, if your goal is to get stronger, training 6 days a week isn't going to get it doen. Part of getting bigger and stronger is resting and letting your bpody rebuild itself.

To be honest, I don't think you really want to get strong. You want everything. Trouble is, you'll never really excel at one skill if you try to "focus" on everything all at once, which is what you're doing.

My advice, pick a period of tme where your main focus is getting stronger (8-12 weeks) and ge after it. Once that time expires, set your sites on getting in better condition (8-12 weeks). You can still condition during your strength phase, but just not hammering it. Maybe 2-3 days of very light cardio.

Figure out what you really want and then ask yourself if what you're doing will get you there. You'll have to learn how to think critically about training.

patos
06-11-2012, 04:39 PM
I do squat+bench, squat+BB type stuff (upperback, shoulders), squat+cgbench, squat+deadlift, squat+bench, squat only for a total of 6 consecutive workouts in the week, average guy no drugs no supplements. The bulk of my work is triples with weights that must be between 75-80% of my max.

Been doing that for a long ass time now, it took me 8-10 weeks the first time I tried to adjust to this, starting with the bar ONLY for the first week and working up gradually. I'm lucky during this time I had nothing else going on so that probably helped out alot, at some point I just slept a ton for 3-4 days then training became easy as pie (was a bit rough before that though).

Now I do 5-10 triples daily no problem, no assistance except for the BB type stuff day. I wear knee warming sleeve things and a velcro belt and that's it. This shit actually feels easier on my body and mind than when I had a squat, bench, deadlift, light bench week and did just 1-2 allout sets of these with assistance stuff after. But this program works as well, I think it's more about what you like doing than what the program gives you, as long as you spend quality time in the gym for years and pay attention to not messing yourself up or burning out.:strong:

RhodeHouse
06-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Don't know why you asked the question if you didn't want an honest answer. Next time, tell us what answer you want.

This is what I would've written, had I known.

Great plan.