PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Sodium

Jonathan E
06-10-2012, 10:52 PM
We live in a world were a lot of foods have pretty high sodium content. Being busy with life, sometimes is really tough to keep up our 'diets.' For example; today I went to Wendy's and made the best decision possible for myself which was a large chili and a cobb salad for dinner. The macros were fine, but the sodium hit the 2k levels..and im sure everyone can relate one way or another with any type of food. So, my question is how do you balance it? Any big side effects if you really hydrate well, especially if your an athlete?

fitnessobssesd
06-11-2012, 07:20 AM
not many use this tactic so u will have a advantage go ahead and good luck

Alex.V
06-11-2012, 09:04 AM
We live in a world were a lot of foods have pretty high sodium content. Being busy with life, sometimes is really tough to keep up our 'diets.' For example; today I went to Wendy's and made the best decision possible for myself which was a large chili and a cobb salad for dinner. The macros were fine, but the sodium hit the 2k levels..and im sure everyone can relate one way or another with any type of food. So, my question is how do you balance it? Any big side effects if you really hydrate well, especially if your an athlete?

Unless you're hypertensive, not a huge concern. Your body does eventually adjust to a given sodium intake. If you're working out and sweating, your sodium needs actually ARE higher than the average guidelines state.

Generally, even though I'm busy, I try to cook for myself whenever possible... I use No-salt (potassium chloride) in nearly all my cooking. My palate's gotten very sensitive to over-salting- most fast food and chain restaurant meals taste like shit now, since they substitute salt for actual flavor.

There ARE lower sodium options out there if you can stand trying to search them out, but unfortunately most of the "healthier" menu options tend to have more salt... since chicken breasts, eggs, etc. have less fat and therefore less inherent flavor.

This is honestly why I've started relying more on shakes and bars- I'm thirsty for hours if I go get a burger king whopper, whereas a few scoops of Nitrean in almond milk or a pure protein bar sits pretty well...

Jonathan E
06-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Unless you're hypertensive, not a huge concern. Your body does eventually adjust to a given sodium intake. If you're working out and sweating, your sodium needs actually ARE higher than the average guidelines state.

Generally, even though I'm busy, I try to cook for myself whenever possible... I use No-salt (potassium chloride) in nearly all my cooking. My palate's gotten very sensitive to over-salting- most fast food and chain restaurant meals taste like shit now, since they substitute salt for actual flavor.

There ARE lower sodium options out there if you can stand trying to search them out, but unfortunately most of the "healthier" menu options tend to have more salt... since chicken breasts, eggs, etc. have less fat and therefore less inherent flavor.

This is honestly why I've started relying more on shakes and bars- I'm thirsty for hours if I go get a burger king whopper, whereas a few scoops of Nitrean in almond milk or a pure protein bar sits pretty well...

Thanks Alex that helped a lot.

NITF
06-11-2012, 06:40 PM
I'd say sodium is a very minor component to managing blood pressure... probably the last thing to worry over if you are concerned about cardio health....