PDA

View Full Version : Help a crazy flabby noob! Diet confusion!

Mynameisyours
06-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Hey everyone! I know I'm new! But hear me out!

I've spent the last two years of college locked in my room.. studying like hell.. and finally, I get a break! In those 2 years, I've really lost my sense of fitness. In highschool, I was fairly active, at least enough to keep in good shape!

Right now, I weight about 162 lbs, my height is 5 feet, 10 inches. (Btw, I'm a guy).

I decided to try and do some weight training 3x a week, and researched some good workout routines with the equipment I have (bought from craigslist, 2 dumbbells, 1 curl bar and various weights.. for 50$! lol).

So far this is my workout schedule:

Workout A
1.Squats: 3 sets of 8-10 reps. (2 minutes rest between sets)
2.Bench Press: 3 sets of 8-10 reps. (2 minutes rest between sets.)
3.Dumbell bentover Rows: 3 sets of 8-10 reps. (2 minutes rest between sets.)
4.Overhead Triceps Extensions (with curl bar): (1 set of 10-12 reps.)
5.Calf Raises: 1-2 sets of 10-12 reps. (1 minute rest between sets.)

Workout B
1.Dumbbell Deadlifts: 3 sets of 8-10 reps. (2 minutes rest between sets.)
2.Seated Dumbell bicep curls: 3 sets of 8-10 reps. (2 minutes rest between sets.)
3.Dumbell Shoulder Press: 3 sets of 8-10 reps. (2 minutes rest between sets.)
4.Biceps Curls with the EZ curl bar: 1 set of 10-12 reps.
5.Ab crunches: 1-2 sets of 10-12 reps. (1 minute rest between sets.)

The weekly schedule follows the following pattern:
week 1:
Monday: workout A
wednesday: workout B
Friday: Workout A

Week 2:
Monday: workout B
Wednesday: workout A
Friday: Workout B

What do you guys think of that?

Anyways, the main question for this topic is this: THE DIET!

How many calories should I consume? This whole thing is confusing! From where I've read, I was told it didn't matter what you ate, so long as you maintained the right calories.

So how many calories do I consume? I used various calorie calculators and got different values. One recommended I consume 1600 calories a day, another recommended I consume 1900 calories a day! But I've read that a man should not consume less than 1800 calories a day..

How does it work?
For example: If I were to consume 1900 calories a day, and I burn 200 calories on my workout days, should I eat 200 more calories those days to maintain my 1900 calories a day requirement? Or do I ignore the fact that I was working out (burning those calories) and go on and continue to consume 1900 calories?

Someone help! :(

I just started working out today. I did each of the sets and consumed around 1400 calories. (I ate a snickers bar when I began to feel really tired and realized I consumed a low amount of calories after reading that no male should not consume below 1800 calories! I know, I was really late).

PLEASE! If you guys/girls can help me, I'd really appreciate it! I cannot wait to get this thing rolling, and become more involved with this forum as I increase my knowledge in this material. (I had no idea how confusing it could be!)

To all who offer their advice: THANK YOU! :hello:

tom183
06-11-2012, 11:22 PM
How many calories should I consume?

What is your goal?

For example: If I were to consume 1900 calories a day, and I burn 200 calories on my workout days, should I eat 200 more calories those days to maintain my 1900 calories a day requirement?

Yes.

Alex.V
06-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Tom's question is the most important- Proper number of calories for WHAT? Are you looking to build a little muscle, lose a little weight (at your size, I wouldn't see the need for that). 1600-1900 sounds low, given you're relatively young and active.

Mynameisyours
06-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Whoops! Sorry guys, I wanted to lose about 15 pounds by august...

I have a large amount of belly fat I want to get rid of.

It's kind of hard for me to count all the calories i consume, being that alot of food around my house has no label... And I don't have too much money to go around and buy the food I need to eat... my normal diet consists of like, 80$ white rice. But I decided to give that up and focus on more fruits and vegetables and protein (eggs/chicken). >.<

tom183
06-12-2012, 06:16 PM
For anything that doesn't have a label you should be able to find the calories/nutrition data on a calorie counting website.

my normal diet consists of like, 80$ white rice.

???

Mynameisyours
06-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Typo.. sorry.. 80%*.

Out of curiosity.. what does your diets consist of?

(feel free to share anyone. ._. )

tom183
06-15-2012, 12:13 AM
Out of curiosity.. what does your diets consist of?

(feel free to share anyone. ._. )

In case you hadn't noticed this thread.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?153629-How-much-do-you...