PDA

View Full Version : Training question

mfgsu09
06-12-2012, 07:33 AM
I'm at a very fat 260 right now at 6ft tall. I want to loose a good portion of pounds, but I still have some notable muscle mass that I would like to keep. How do I burn that much fat, while still being as large muscularly as possible?

Tom Mutaffis
06-12-2012, 07:39 AM
I'm at a very fat 260 right now at 6ft tall. I want to loose a good portion of pounds, but I still have some notable muscle mass that I would like to keep. How do I burn that much fat, while still being as large muscularly as possible?

In order to lose fat you will need to focus on your diet as well as your training, I would look to cut back your calories to reflect your target weight while also evaluating your food choices (focusing on whole foods).

For training I would go with High Intensity Interval Training to boost your metabolism, and you can also add in some Low Intensity Steady State training to burn additional calories. Weight training can also be a good way to burn calories and the increased muscle mass will help you to maintain/improve your appearance as you lose weight.

The best way to maintain as much muscle as possible would be to pay very close attention to your diet and to make the transition gradually. If you take extreme measures to lose weight then there is a good chance that some of that weight will be muscle.

Hope this helps.

larsen540
06-12-2012, 07:59 AM
I am a huge fan of the carb backloading it has really helped me lean up when I want to. Very easy stuff. Read up on it.

mfgsu09
06-12-2012, 08:00 AM
I've been trying to keep my calories in and around 2k, that sound about right?

Tom Mutaffis
06-12-2012, 08:38 AM
I've been trying to keep my calories in and around 2k, that sound about right?

Depends on your activity levels...

Do you have an active job? And how much conditioning/cardio work are you planning on doing each day?

mfgsu09
06-12-2012, 09:55 AM
No job at the moment, but I'm about to go back to school where I back/walk a lot with a good bit of wait on my back. So the majority of the time I'm not sedentary and on an average day right now I'm jogging a mile and a half each day. No gym access for the next two weeks, so right now its pretty much push ups, sit ups, lunges, etc. afterwards.

Tom Mutaffis
06-12-2012, 10:56 AM
No job at the moment, but I'm about to go back to school where I back/walk a lot with a good bit of wait on my back. So the majority of the time I'm not sedentary and on an average day right now I'm jogging a mile and a half each day. No gym access for the next two weeks, so right now its pretty much push ups, sit ups, lunges, etc. afterwards.

Instead of jogging I would do run/walk intervals - this will burn more calories and speed up your metabolism. If you are unable to run then I would walk rather than jog, since your objective is to burn fat and maintain muscle mass (jogging will likely put your heart rate in a range where you are going to end up losing lean mass rather than simply burning fat).

ZAR-FIT
06-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Start your day off with 1 hour of fatburning... ideally on a stair mill. if all you have access to is the road then take Tom's advice with the walk/run Interval training. Run 1 minute and walk 2, and repeat for an hour. And do this before you eat breakfast. the only thing you should have before this is some Amino Acids and coffee.

theBarzeen
06-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Squat heavy

eat foods that grow from the ground or have a soul

the end.

Alex.V
06-13-2012, 01:19 PM

Small children. Actually relatively low in fat, just like veal.

kingns
06-13-2012, 01:44 PM
I just log what i eat with an app on my phone, and stick to my macro goals for the day. 40.40.20 carbs protein fat. I eat enough cals to slowly loose weight. Its a really easy method for me and the easier it is, the more likely you will stick to it.

JohnnyRingo
06-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Start your day off with 1 hour of fatburning... ideally on a stair mill. if all you have access to is the road then take Tom's advice with the walk/run Interval training. Run 1 minute and walk 2, and repeat for an hour. And do this before you eat breakfast. the only thing you should have before this is some Amino Acids and coffee.

Literally the exact advice I received from my buddy today, and he is roughly 6% year round. Might be something to this "listen to knowledgeable people thing";)

MyFood
06-13-2012, 06:45 PM
Cut down on your carbs, calories, and fat and up your protein levels. Incorporate plenty of cardio into your workout routine.

mfgsu09
06-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Right now I'm in a body conditioning class at college, and not be a little girl, but it kicks my ass. I burn 400-500 calories easy just working out with the instructor, not to mention what I do on my on. (The class is broke into stations: cardio, weights, and coach workout) So right now I don't eat to super strict rules, I just don't eat stupid. Lean meat and veggies, and I don't freak out if I have mashed potatoes every now and again. That being said, I do avoid things like white bread, and white rice. I always hear it's an issue of calories burned vs. calories taken in, and I exaggerate my calorie count so I'll burn a little extra to make up for it. So right now with a weird schedule, I might only take in 1100, but burn almost all of that. Am I under eating?

ScottYard
06-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Squat heavy

the end.

True!

ScottYard
06-28-2012, 06:21 PM
I am a huge fan of the carb backloading it has really helped me lean up when I want to. Very easy stuff. Read up on it.

Its easy, cheap, and works.