PDA

View Full Version : westside bench

Bosshogg300
06-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Well i am a weak at bottom bencher and i know i need to increase my back work to help with that problem so if i were to do say a lat pull and a row on both max and dynamic bench day along with my normal work would that be hindering me more then helping

JRD
06-13-2012, 11:15 AM
If your following a westside program than you're supposed to do upper back work on both bench days, along with tricep, and some light shoulder work

RhodeHouse
06-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Don't go nuts trying to improve your back. Just focus on tha work earlier in your training session. If you spend 4 slots doing back work, inevitably, you'll develop a weakness because you neglected another muscle group.

After your ME or DE work hit your back. Then finish the rest of the workout.

Bosshogg300
06-13-2012, 07:35 PM
I do the tricep and shoulder work i was wondering if i should do two back movements...ok well im gping to do that rhodes thanks

Travis Bell
06-13-2012, 07:36 PM
I typically do the ME movement or DE movement follow it with two or 3 triceps movements a rear delt movement or high rep lateral raise movement and then finish it with one rowing and one pull down movement.

If you don't screw around, you can get all that done in an hour. But you do have to push the pace.

vdizenzo
06-14-2012, 05:24 AM
I have enjoyed having a separate back day. Sometimes I'm just too spent after bench training and was not giving my back an honest effort. Now that I am a month out from competing I will be collapsing that back day into the bench days again.

BloodandThunder
06-14-2012, 10:09 AM
If you're weak at the bottom (common), first address what exactly is causing this. Look at video of your initial press in addition to your descent...perhaps it's lack of leg drive, lagging technique, but typically it's weak shoulders.

Don't discount GPP work too for lagging parts on non-upper training days. Sled work like row pulls, high pulls, face pulls go along way.
You can also build up GPP by increasing your warmup load by doing some lat pulldowns, rows, etc, and supersetting accessories later in the workout.
Band pullaparts, BW lifts like pullups, and face pulls can be done frequently too.

Travis Bell
06-14-2012, 10:09 AM
I tried that for awhile at several different points and for whatever reason I found like I couldn't get tight on the bench. My back just felt wore out. Weird.

Different people respond to different stuff though so the best idea is to find what works for you.

BloodandThunder
06-14-2012, 10:21 AM
I tried that for awhile at several different points and for whatever reason I found like I couldn't get tight on the bench. My back just felt wore out. Weird.

Different people respond to different stuff though so the best idea is to find what works for you.

That's the beauty of the system really.

larsen540
06-15-2012, 11:41 AM
I agree I think you need to add more on your DE and ME days as far as back.

RhodeHouse
06-16-2012, 08:37 AM

That totally makes sense to me. I know you're a bench only guy, but you train your lower body. Squatting and pulling takes its toll on the back, for sure.

The trick is finding the happy medium where you can hammer what need work, but be ready for each training session.