PDA

View Full Version : Eating to Gain - help managing fat/protein levels?

Sc00t
06-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Hi,

Question for those more experienced than me. :-) I'm currently (at last weigh in) 155 lbs.

I am currently taking in over 3,100 calories a day, 700 of those calories coming from a Whey Gainer+ shake. I'm getting about 120g of protein in to my diet. 34g through the shake, the rest through my diet.

I'm wondering a few things:

1.) Calorie-wise I know I'm good, but is this enough protein to see decent gains?
2.) Should I be taking any specific vitamins to help absorb this protein? I currently take Creatine, Vit C, Fish Oil & a Multivitamin.

Any general advice would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
-sc00t

tom183
06-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Calorie-wise I know I'm good, but is this enough protein to see decent gains?

I'd look to increase it a bit. 120g a day out of 3,100 kcals is only 15%.

Should I be taking any specific vitamins to help absorb this protein? I currently take Creatine, Vit C, Fish Oil & a Multivitamin.

If you're eating a balanced diet with a multi vitamin on top you should be fine.

Behemoth
06-14-2012, 12:32 PM
I'd bump the protein up about 50 grams.

Sc00t
06-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Any food suggestions to make that 50g up? I tend to eat some fish most days, if not then chicken. Obviously there's the protein shake... What do you guys eat to load on protein?

Thanks,
-sc00t

tom183
06-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Whey, steak, chicken, fish, lamb, pork etc

JasonLift
06-16-2012, 07:47 AM
Because I am shedding some fat right now on Sundays my girlfriend will cook up chicken breast, pork tenderloin, and flank steak in large quantities. Those are all cheap and good quality lean cuts of meat that I eat throughout the day during the week. Add to that eggs in the morning, the odd protein shake (I only tend to drink one a day anymore), and whatever she cooks for dinner and it is fairly easy to get a high protein intake.

But since you are trying to build muscle and are relatively a small guy you could and should get some fattier cuts of meat as well. Trying to gain muscle on chicken and fish would be a giant pain in the butt.

Behemoth
06-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Because I am shedding some fat right now on Sundays my girlfriend will cook up chicken breast, pork tenderloin, and flank steak in large quantities. Those are all cheap and good quality lean cuts of meat that I eat throughout the day during the week. Add to that eggs in the morning, the odd protein shake (I only tend to drink one a day anymore), and whatever she cooks for dinner and it is fairly easy to get a high protein intake.

But since you are trying to build muscle and are relatively a small guy you could and should get some fattier cuts of meat as well. Trying to gain muscle on chicken and fish would be a giant pain in the butt.

Awesome girlfriend!

JasonLift
06-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Awesome girlfriend!

Yeah I was going to write that if it was not for her I'd probably be eating protein bars and cans of tuna because I can't cook and always wait til the last minute. Lucky for me she is into bodybuilding and handles all my nutrition and trains with me too. Made my (ongoing) transition from powerlifting to bodybuilding a lot easier.