PDA

View Full Version : slowing things down..

Justin Randal
06-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Over the past year I have managed to develope a good deal of speed in all three lifts. While I feel this has played a large role in strength gains, I have gotten to the point where I tend to miss a lift if it slows very much at all. So as I ease back into training the plan is to intentionally slow down movements and learn to strain when things slow down.

I was wondering if anyone here has/has had the same issue? If so, what did you do to improve in this area?

Success
J

Butcher
06-14-2012, 01:58 PM
http://reactivetrainingsystems.com/articles/training-articles/12052-learn-to-grind

I've noticed my benches and squats have slowed down over a couple of months but I have still been making progress. Im sure at some point I will have to include speed work to keep that progress going if the trend of slower bar speed continues.

kingns
06-14-2012, 04:38 PM
slow to grow. Doing a lift fast makes it easier IMO. If you do it slower and controlled it will build more.
This article by JL Holdsworth is a good example
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/pace_of_your_stroke.htm

Justin Randal
06-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Thanks fellas.

larsen540
06-15-2012, 11:38 AM
I think you are on the right path here bro.

vdizenzo
06-15-2012, 12:23 PM
I think there must be something lagging to slow down your lifts imho. I don't think performing lifts explosively is the problem. Using myself for example. When I used to bench it would fly to lockout or I had no chance to finish it. I didn't stop lifting explosively as a result, I improved my weakness. I really took a long hard look at my tricep work and fixed it. Now I can grind weight more than I ever have been able to.

gmen5681
06-15-2012, 04:25 PM
high reps have always made me better at grinding out a rep as well.

Justin Randal
06-16-2012, 06:25 PM
I think there must be something lagging to slow down your lifts imho. I don't think performing lifts explosively is the problem. Using myself for example. When I used to bench it would fly to lockout or I had no chance to finish it. I didn't stop lifting explosively as a result, I improved my weakness. I really took a long hard look at my tricep work and fixed it. Now I can grind weight more than I ever have been able to.
I Thanks for the insight. I will definately be on the look out for weaknesses.

chris mason
06-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Bands for ME or low reps will help.

chris mason
06-17-2012, 07:56 AM
Another thing is how often do you work up to ME singles? In other words, is a larger percentage of your training the compounds wit reps or singles (percentage being as a percent of the mix, not volume as low rep training dictates low volume).

Justin Randal
06-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Chris- I tend to take 1-2rm's every 3rd(ish) week. Focusing on explosive strength has added more than 50 pounds to each of my lifts (100+ to squat and pull) in less than a year. My suspicion is that becoming more explosive has allowed me to handle/lift more weight but that my over all (absolute) strength just needs a bit of focus and time to catch up. Right now the plan is to add heavy bands, chains (or both) on me days for a few cycles. I'm also wondering if I don't spend enough time doing ME sets of 3-5+ reps. I tend to spend more time on doubles and singles. Lots to consider and play with moving forward. Thanks for all the input!

vdizenzo
06-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Heavy bands and short bands will certainly slow your a$$ down. I like that idea for you.

Travis Bell
06-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Chris- I tend to take 1-2rm's every 3rd(ish) week. Focusing on explosive strength has added more than 50 pounds to each of my lifts (100+ to squat and pull) in less than a year. My suspicion is that becoming more explosive has allowed me to handle/lift more weight but that my over all (absolute) strength just needs a bit of focus and time to catch up. Right now the plan is to add heavy bands, chains (or both) on me days for a few cycles. I'm also wondering if I don't spend enough time doing ME sets of 3-5+ reps. I tend to spend more time on doubles and singles. Lots to consider and play with moving forward. Thanks for all the input!

If you've added 100lbs to your pull and squat, I think that'd be an indication that speed works well.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Justin Randal
06-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Haha, one of my dad's favorite quotes! I agree 100% that speed strength has been a huge factor in my gains but refuse to ignore any kind of weakness as I have no plans of slowing down my progress. While I have no plans to give up the speed I've worked for, I do plan to learn to strain in the event that I do slow down. I'm just modifying my training plan to suit my current weaknesses.