PDA

View Full Version : Help me with strength w/o mass please.

KJDANEXT0
06-16-2012, 07:36 AM
I just made a long ass post but it didn't go through. How can I increase strength and minimize mass gains? Any recommendations for a routine?

I was thinking about 1 rep sets. Not sure though. Been training for 10 weeks now. Started with 3x5s but kept changing it to lower reps.

Lifts(not great):

bench 200lbs

dead 308lbs

box squat 17.5" 125kg x2( maybe around 250lbs)

Thanks in advance.

RhodeHouse
06-16-2012, 08:34 AM
Why would you want to lift weights and get stronger, but not bigger???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? You don't have to be 300lbs (I have no idea why someone wouldn't want that, but I digreess)

With numbers like yours, I'd spend some time at the table feeding your face so you can actually have some muscle on your body to strengthen. You can't flex bone.

KJDANEXT0
06-16-2012, 08:40 AM
I don't want to add bulk here. I'm not a BB so I don't wantbto carrying useless weight around.

Phyde2
06-16-2012, 10:46 AM
No offence man but you ask for help and when one of the big hitters in the powerlifting world answers you shit on his words and beg for a different answer. Use the information you receive.

Pure physiological standpoint getting stronger will increase micro traumas done to muscle which in turn will be repaired by your satelite cells to make you stronger and bigger. Size is inevitable assuming you have some degree of testicular fortitude.

KJDANEXT0
06-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Hmm...think I may need to do some more reading then. I think some bro science was giving me wrong answers.

kingns
06-16-2012, 05:43 PM
I think low reps/high sets will help with strength and limit "size gain". Pavel wrote for what your suggesting you should cut your reps in half and do twice the amount of sets. I cant say that this will for sure help strength and limit size, but I do know that if you do less sets and higher reps it WILL build more muscle.

krazylarry
06-17-2012, 12:48 AM
Low reps, low sets, heavy weight.
Look into jack shit part of 5/3/1 or power to the people by pavel.

KJDANEXT0
06-17-2012, 05:19 AM
Cool, I'll check all that stuff out cheers.

Didnt mean to sound like a dick to anyone though, sorry. My head's just all over the place in terms of a routine right now.

Peace.

chris mason
06-17-2012, 07:53 AM
You are right that low reps will do less for hypertrophy. You can certainly get stronger without getting bigger and I understand people want that for various reasons (CrossFit is a good example, too much size is detrimental to their body weight exercises and the endurance component of their training - power to weight ratio is key).

Why do you want to get stronger?

FYI, back to Rhodes reply, a point he was trying to make is that while you can get stronger without getting bigger, you can only do so to a certain degree. At some point you will need some hypertrophy to further increase strength.

KJDANEXT0
06-17-2012, 07:34 PM
I understand the meaning behind Rhodes reply now. Cheers.

Oh and the reason I want to get stronger is because I'll be harder to kill, and more useful in general, hahaha. Seriously though, I'm thinking of becoming a paratrooper in the French army and more strength is better than none. I am also aware of the whole endurance side of things for military, but I'd rather focus on lifting now and sort that out later.

Peace.