PDA

View Full Version : Deadlifting: Grip and Foot Placement?

DravenCarey
06-16-2012, 03:57 PM
I've been watching a good deal of videos on deadlifting and I've got a question. In terms of gripping the bar and foot placement is it personal preference between having feet slightly closer than shoulder width while placing the hands on the outside of the knee vs. having a wider stance, feet slightly pointed outwards, and having the hands on the inside of the knee (closer together than the previous)? If not, is there a benefit to one or the other?

DravenCarey
06-16-2012, 05:15 PM
I've learned the second one I've described is referred to as a sumo deadlift. What're the advantages/disadvantages of each of these lifts?

GazzyG
06-17-2012, 03:58 AM
Hey bud.

The two stances (Conventional and Sumo) give you different leverages.

The Conventional Stance works the back, whereas the Sumo has a bigger focus on your legs and hips and has a shorter ROM.

Both stances will get you stronger; it's personal preference as to which you use.

I know some people who've had back injuries or simply worry about their back (like my training partner) will sometimes choose to use the Sumo stance, but I feel a lot stronger in conventional.

DravenCarey
06-17-2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks for clarifying for me GazzyG, guess I'll give sumo a chance this week and see how it feels.

Dank27
06-18-2012, 05:04 AM
Your body size and make up will also have a lot to do with what stance you choose.

Im 6'4 and about 330 and I cannot use a sumo stance due to the fact that My hips just will not bend that way lol and If I put my feet in the right stance my toes are under the plates.

I have alway pulled with a fairly narrow stance and grip and it has worked well for me. You need to try both and see what works best for you. Also make sure you have someone around that knows what they are looking at. That is what I think killed the sumo stance for me. I had no real help with it.

Good Luck

ScottYard
06-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Go on elitefts and westside bell web sites and read every article they have.

DravenCarey
06-19-2012, 02:43 PM
I have, thanks =D