PDA

View Full Version : Cleanest Whey Protein possible?

Eric Cartman
06-16-2012, 06:26 PM
My doctor has put me on a soy-free, gluten-free, milk and dairy free, lactose-free, and low-fat, low-sugar diet.

I basically am only allowed to eat fruit, vegetables, and basic meats...

I am looking for a whey protein supplement that has almost nothing added to it,... I can't find one that has no milk or soy or gluten or added chemicals or something...

What would you recommend?

Thanks,
EC

thecityalive
06-16-2012, 06:50 PM
That sounds like vegan protein.

Eric Cartman
06-16-2012, 07:09 PM
What vegan supplements are most popular?

NITF
06-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Probably gonna want to find a good hemp based protein... I don't know which ones are best, just do a search. I'd love to try some but can't due to drug testing risks...

Alex.V
06-16-2012, 08:23 PM
A mix of brown rice protein and pea protein is a safe and solid option.

Eric Cartman
06-16-2012, 10:19 PM
A mix of brown rice protein and pea protein is a safe and solid option.

Not sure about brown rice protein... I'm not supposed to eat gluten either..

Anyhow, do you buy pea and rice protein separately? Not really familiar with these brands of supplements...

krazylarry
06-17-2012, 12:46 AM
Pea and rice protein both taste pretty gross. true protein has it, and you can custom mix it to have both in it. I would just go with the pea, its half the price.

Why did your dr put you on this diet?

Eric Cartman
06-17-2012, 10:18 AM
Pea and rice protein both taste pretty gross. true protein has it, and you can custom mix it to have both in it. I would just go with the pea, its half the price.

Why did your dr put you on this diet?

He suspects that I am allergic to lactose, dairy, gluten, and many other things...

Eric Cartman
06-17-2012, 10:19 AM
By the way, isnt pea protein an INCOMPLETE protein, meaning that it doesn't have all the amino acids needed to build muscle?

tmor6
06-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Not sure about brown rice protein... I'm not supposed to eat gluten either...

Rice doesn't have gluten in it. Source: I've been living with Celiac Disease for six years, and I also research Celiac Disease at a large State University.

Here's what I use:

http://www.vitacost.com/jarrow-formulas-brown-rice-protein

I order all my stuff from vitacost - usually a lot cheaper that way. You'll find a lot of foods for people with foods sensitives on there. I'm sure there are other websites, but I've been really, really pleased with vitacost.

krazylarry
06-17-2012, 01:27 PM
By the way, isnt pea protein an INCOMPLETE protein, meaning that it doesn't have all the amino acids needed to build muscle?

According to this its complete. Has all 3 BCAA.
http://www.truenutrition.com/p-1115-gemma-pea-protein-isolate-non-gmo-1lb.aspx?#

Eric Cartman
06-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Rice doesn't have gluten in it. Source: I've been living with Celiac Disease for six years, and I also research Celiac Disease at a large State University.

Here's what I use:

http://www.vitacost.com/jarrow-formulas-brown-rice-protein

I order all my stuff from vitacost - usually a lot cheaper that way. You'll find a lot of foods for people with foods sensitives on there. I'm sure there are other websites, but I've been really, really pleased with vitacost.

This was very helpful, thanks...

Alex.V
06-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Gluten is wheat protein- it is not found in brown rice. Pea protein and brown rice protein are both complete but have a relatively low bioavailability (compared to a whey)... taken together, the amino acid ratio improves, hence my initial suggestion. :)

bullgods
06-19-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm not sure if it is still around, but Tony Gonzales (the NFL player) used to have a vegan protein line. You could maybe check that out as well.

Eric Cartman
06-19-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm not sure if it is still around, but Tony Gonzales (the NFL player) used to have a vegan protein line. You could maybe check that out as well.

Yeah, but I hate the Falcons :)

Eric Cartman
06-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Gluten is wheat protein- it is not found in brown rice. Pea protein and brown rice protein are both complete but have a relatively low bioavailability (compared to a whey)... taken together, the amino acid ratio improves, hence my initial suggestion. :)

Hey, what is bio-availability?

Alex.V
06-19-2012, 06:19 PM

Biological value for each is around 70-80. When taken together at about a 50/50 ratio, it's up around 90.

Eric Cartman
06-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Biological value for each is around 70-80. When taken together at about a 50/50 ratio, it's up around 90.

I don't know what a biological value even means... can you explain?

NITF
06-19-2012, 08:20 PM

It's a term that roughly refers to how well your body actually utilizes a given nutrient.

e.g. Soy beans contain lots of protein, however, given soy's low bio-availability, the human body can't use as much as it would were the protein from another source...

Eric Cartman
06-20-2012, 10:27 AM
Very interesting...

I bought a lot of rice protein, but pea protein is much harder to find for some reason, might have to order it...