PDA

View Full Version : Confusion on dynamic effort

DontTakeEmOff31
06-20-2012, 11:05 AM
Hey all, I've been confused about the necessity of dynamic effort for power lifting and was hoping to get some advice. I currently do no dynamic effort, I do a bench day, squat day, deadlift day, and miltiary day (basically 5/3/1) except that I build up to a 5RM, 3RM, and 2RM for Week 1, 2 and 3 and then deload on the 4th week, then add 5 lbs for Bench/Military and 10 for Squat/Deadlift. I've made good progress but I'm starting to debate using Westside, might be time to stop fooling around with what I think would work and use something that is obviously proven.

My goal is to start competitive power lifting in the future. I really like Wendler's 5/3/1 philosophy of small but steady gains, but I'm confused as to whether or not dynamic effort should be utilized. I have no problem admitting that I need to switch to a proven workout (Westside or whatever), I'm just confused.

RhodeHouse
06-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Hey all, I've been confused about the necessity of dynamic effort for power lifting and was hoping to get some advice. I currently do no dynamic effort, I do a bench day, squat day, deadlift day, and miltiary day (basically 5/3/1) except that I build up to a 5RM, 3RM, and 2RM for Week 1, 2 and 3 and then deload on the 4th week, then add 5 lbs for Bench/Military and 10 for Squat/Deadlift. I've made good progress but I'm starting to debate using Westside, might be time to stop fooling around with what I think would work and use something that is obviously proven.

My goal is to start competitive power lifting in the future. I really like Wendler's 5/3/1 philosophy of small but steady gains, but I'm confused as to whether or not dynamic effort should be utilized. I have no problem admitting that I need to switch to a proven workout (Westside or whatever), I'm just confused.

You're making progress so you want to change?

Buy the 5/3/1 book and follow it. There's no need for Dynamic Effort work. If you believe it will work, then it might be worth a try. But it sounds like you're thinking about it because "you're supposed to" because Westside does it.

There are great lifters who use DE methods and those who don't. It's not a rule that you have to use DE work. I wouldn't chnage your program other than to follow 5/3/1 the way it is written to get the most out of it. i also believe that the 5/3/2 idea is valid and I'm actually toying with some ideas for a program to run with my athletes. Not set up like jim's 5/3/1, just using those rep ranges with Block Perdiodization ideas and Prilipen's chart for sets/reps.

DontTakeEmOff31
06-21-2012, 06:53 PM

Buy the 5/3/1 book and follow it. There's no need for Dynamic Effort work. If you believe it will work, then it might be worth a try. But it sounds like you're thinking about it because "you're supposed to" because Westside does it.

There are great lifters who use DE methods and those who don't. It's not a rule that you have to use DE work. I wouldn't chnage your program other than to follow 5/3/1 the way it is written to get the most out of it. i also believe that the 5/3/2 idea is valid and I'm actually toying with some ideas for a program to run with my athletes. Not set up like jim's 5/3/1, just using those rep ranges with Block Perdiodization ideas and Prilipen's chart for sets/reps.

You're absolutely right, I thought I needed to do DE because thats what I've read / been told. I've got the book, I'll stick to what I'm doing (I'll switch to the right format though). Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Alex.V
06-21-2012, 07:10 PM
i also believe that the 5/3/2 idea is valid and I'm actually toying with some ideas for a program to run with my athletes. Not set up like jim's 5/3/1, just using those rep ranges with Block Perdiodization ideas and Prilipen's chart for sets/reps.

What the crap is up with this independent thought running around lately. Like a damn plague.

ScottYard
06-21-2012, 08:01 PM

I agree.

Justin Randal
06-21-2012, 08:09 PM
DE has been a staple in my training over the last year and has greatly improved my overall strength. I highly recommend adding DE work weekly for a good while. http://www.westside-barbell.com/westside-articles/PDF.Files/04PDF/Training%20Methods%20Part-1.pdf

Hope this helps..

RhodeHouse
06-22-2012, 09:25 AM
You're absolutely right, I thought I needed to do DE because thats what I've read / been told. I've got the book, I'll stick to what I'm doing (I'll switch to the right format though). Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Ha! Sometimes it's that simple, dude. Get after it.

RhodeHouse
06-22-2012, 09:26 AM
What the crap is up with this independent thought running around lately. Like a damn plague.

I'm sorry. It's not my fault. I read about it... HAHAHAHA!

RhodeHouse
06-22-2012, 09:26 AM
DE has been a staple in my training over the last year and has greatly improved my overall strength. I highly recommend adding DE work weekly for a good while. http://www.westside-barbell.com/westside-articles/PDF.Files/04PDF/Training%20Methods%20Part-1.pdf

Hope this helps..

He's not following a Westside template.

April Mathis
06-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Agree on if you're making good progress there is no reason to change what you are doing until you stop making progress.