PDA

View Full Version : A diet in regards to starting strength.

Wannabe Ripped
06-20-2012, 01:05 PM
I'm looking to do starting strength, but i wanted to ask a question about the diet. I'm not a fan of GOMAD, so if i just consume lots and lots of food and not touch milk, will i still see good gains? Last time i did GOMAD, i put on alot of mass, but also alot of fat aswell, which i don't want. A little bit of fat i don't mind, but lots of it? No thanks.

tom183
06-20-2012, 05:28 PM
so if i just consume lots and lots of food and not touch milk, will i still see good gains?

Yes. Provided that 'lots and lots' is over your maintenance level.

Jonathan E
06-20-2012, 07:10 PM
If you think about it.. the reason why GOMAD increased your bf% is because you had a surplus of calories..so if you eat 'lots and lots of food', your going to end up with just as much fat if you hit that same calorie count as before..

Alex.V
06-20-2012, 08:09 PM
If you think about it.. the reason why GOMAD increased your bf% is because you had a surplus of calories..so if you eat 'lots and lots of food', your going to end up with just as much fat if you hit that same calorie count as before..

This. GOMAD is a great way to get fat.

I'm all in favor of realizing you'll have to gain a little fat to get big, but fat doesn't lift weight, it doesn't flex, and it sure as hell doesn't look good.

Milk is nothing magical, it's just calories.

Wannabe Ripped
06-21-2012, 10:29 AM

But surely if you consume the same number of calories with food, rather than milk, you'll be consuming less fat?

Jonathan E
06-21-2012, 12:09 PM
But surely if you consume the same number of calories with food, rather than milk, you'll be consuming less fat?

Depends what you eat. And you gain fat on your body with an increase in calories..not by eating a lot of actual 'fat' you see on the nutrition label.

Cards
06-21-2012, 12:13 PM

Fat doesn't make you fat.

mike mcgee
06-22-2012, 06:25 AM
The reason GOMAD works is because liquid calories are much easier to consume. The benefits of GOMAD (since everyone seems to be focusing on negative) are saturated fat which increases testoserone levels, protein for building and maintaining muscle and dextrose to carry the protein to the muscle and restore glycogen levels. If you are not going to do GOMAD, how are you going to get the extra calories, what are you planning on eating that will match milk's nutrition profile and cost. Here is a breakdown: 2,380 calories, 187 g of carbohydrate, 123 g of protein and 127 g of fat, cost around $5.00.

JacobH
06-22-2012, 11:56 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with milk. However, there is something wrong with drinking an entire gallon of milk a day regardless of your caloric/macro needs.

RhodeHouse
06-24-2012, 10:17 AM
If you got fat then your workout sucks. My guess is you did little to no conditioning to minimize fat gain.