PDA

View Full Version : Bulls

Silverback
06-15-2002, 09:17 AM
how when all they eat is grass does a bull pack on so much muscle, this thought left me bemused when i saw one the other day? anyone have any ideas?

body
06-16-2002, 03:15 AM
they have a different metabolism to us so can synthesis more protien from the nutrients in the grass.

they have more than one stomach, may be 2 i think.

the farmer had injected them with growth hormones and steroids:D

06-16-2002, 10:09 AM
driving home last week past a farm I saw in the field 1 bull and about 30 cows. I thought damn, in my next life I wanna be a bull...

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-16-2002, 10:18 AM
They mess about with the myostatin gene don't they? Hence, why BBing enthusiasts have jumped upon the idea.

Blood&Iron
06-16-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
They mess about with the myostatin gene don't they? Hence, why BBing enthusiasts have jumped upon the idea.
I think that's just in the Belgian Blue and that's a naturally occurring phenomenon so far as I'm aware.

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-16-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

I think that's just in the Belgian Blue and that's a naturally occurring phenomenon so far as I'm aware.

Piedmontese too.

Are you sure they both weren't genetically engineered?

Blood&Iron
06-16-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy

Piedmontese too.

Are you sure they both weren't genetically engineered?
I'm pretty sure I remember reading that it was naturally occurring, but I could be wrong.

Fudomyo
06-16-2002, 05:00 PM
Protein (muscle) is made amino acids. Doesn't matter a bit if it comes from grass or milk or meat. You still need a good spread of aminos, but clearly grass is working for them. Fiber from grass is just a super complex carbohydrate. We can't do anything with that, but 4 stomach's is apparently the trick.

$0.02

Bullrider Billy
06-17-2002, 09:11 AM
Same reason all herbivores get as big as they do... horses, cattle, bison, elephants, camels, giraffes, elk, moose, gorillas, etc. They can extract far more nutrients from what they eat than if we ate the same things.

the_hall
06-18-2002, 09:49 PM
bulls are awesome.