PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Elbow?

3fingerVic
06-27-2012, 07:23 PM
I don't play tennis. Somehow I got tennis elbow. I'm trying to work through it, but curls are pretty painful. I'm in the middle of some of the best momentum that I've had in a while, as far as training and weight loss goes. Has anyone had this? If so, besides resting it, what did you do to minimize the symptoms. I've seen the straps and cuffs, has anyone used those with any success?

WI_Cheeshead
06-27-2012, 08:44 PM
I had a bad case of it and I'm still rehabbing the arm. It hit me right when I was really getting some serious momentum as well.

At first I did nothing but take time off from lifting. After two weeks it had not improved.

I began massaging the elbow & wrist joints, the forearm muscles, and the nerves that run through the arm like the ulnar & median nerves. When I did this improvement started to be seen pretty quickly, usually by the next day. I also found that the ulnar nerve which ran from the the shoulder to the wrist was really sore under my arm, on the inside of the bicep just below the arm pit. Massaging this really hurt at first, but the pain significantly diminished by the second day after treating it directly.

I'm exercising again, although I haven't started back on the arms yet. Before it was so bad just about any push/pull movement like the bench press would aggravate it. I also started stretching the arm and doing basic movements without weights.

I've stopped using gloves, as there was a recent post about how they tend to cause joint problems. Once I get back to the level of weights I was lifting before I might start using straps on deadlifts, but I wasn't using them before so they didn't contribute to the original problem.

K-R-M
06-27-2012, 09:00 PM
I don't play tennis. Somehow I got tennis elbow. I'm trying to work through it, but curls are pretty painful. I'm in the middle of some of the best momentum that I've had in a while, as far as training and weight loss goes. Has anyone had this? If so, besides resting it, what did you do to minimize the symptoms. I've seen the straps and cuffs, has anyone used those with any success?

If it's hurting while your doing curls, it's probably golfers elbow. Tennis elbow is for your extensors.

There's not much you can do. You can take NSAIDs, put some ice on after your workout and some heat before... rest and low weights are what's going to help you heal. I had it once and it went away after a small 2-3 week break from the mouvements that hurt... just do what doesn't hurt or you can worsen it to the point of a tear.

tom183
06-28-2012, 02:59 AM
If memory serves correctly theres some good stuff regarding tennis elbow on mobilitywod.com

Beast
06-28-2012, 05:11 PM

Hey man, I went through this for the first time a few months ago. The key is avoiding the exercises that exacerbate your symptoms. Curls also bothered mine, too, so I modified them so I wasn't supinating, etc. I'm pretty sure I got it from heavy upright rows, though, which I abandoned. Do what you can. I wore one of these (http://www.3m.com/product/information/Futuro-Sport-Tennis-Elbow-Support.html) for a month that I picked up at Target, and now my tennis elbow is completely gone. Good luck. I know it affects some people worse than others.

ThomasG
07-01-2012, 08:47 PM
ART and Deep tissue worked for me.

jed
07-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Lots have gone through it including myself. Heed the advice and rest/rehab it before it gets worse. But to help keep momentum going as much as possible, don't forget the two most imporant lifts : Squat and Dead. Keep squatting through it all (unless somehow it hurts your elbow).

garyyatleung
07-18-2012, 01:12 PM
First, get an elbow wrap, sold in any drug stores. Try cable curls with ropes, as well as hammer curls if it does not hurt you. Try pull ups also.
I got tennis elbow a while ago. I got this physical therapy device called 'Flexbar' by Thera-band. I did the exercise shown on the package insert for tennis elbow. After a month, I can lift again with no pain but could not lift full weight until 2 months later. I still have my elbow wrap when doing any exercises using my arm, just in case.

Cards
07-19-2012, 09:19 AM
ART and Deep tissue worked for me.

This has my vote

Patz
07-19-2012, 09:53 AM
If you're doing straight bar curls, stop. If not, then I have no valuable input. But a straight bar curl puts the wrist/arm/elbow in an unnatural position, then adds resistance.

garyyatleung
07-19-2012, 12:01 PM
I agree.