PDA

View Full Version : IPF powerlifters advice needed

Ripe1
07-01-2012, 06:15 AM
Hello all. Question for people competing at IPF meets: Have you found a working warm up routine for the bench press after the squats? That 20-25 minutes is a little tricky especially with putting the shirt on at equipped meets. Any advice?

ScottYard
07-01-2012, 06:38 AM
What is your raw and equipped max?

BloodandThunder
07-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Some pointers to consider that don't deal with the warmups but important nonetheless:

1) Know exactly how much time you have before the first lifter goes in your flight. Then know where you're positioned in that flight. Time your heaviest warmups with those things in mind. You don't want to be benching the bar 5 mins out.

2) Get your squat suit off ASAP, put your singlet/bench shoes on, and relax for a bit, get some fluids in you (sodium too if you've cut weight), and a light snack. If you have little time, I'd recommend liquid calories or a powerbar/banana. Squatting is stressful so you need a quick breather even in a very short meet. Definitely foam roll the back and do some lacrosse ball work too here.

3) Ensure your handler knows the timeframe so he/she doesn't wander off. If you need alot of time to get a shirt on, you don't want to wander around looking for your stuff or that person either. Definitely use plastic bags or shirt sleeves to cut down on time.

Most important: Always ensure your opener is dialed in. If you need to change it based upon your warmups, ensure there is enough time (5 mins before 1st lifter in flight).

burt128
07-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Hello all. Question for people competing at IPF meets: Have you found a working warm up routine for the bench press after the squats? That 20-25 minutes is a little tricky especially with putting the shirt on at equipped meets. Any advice?

Are you talking about the one-flight meets that have only a very short break between squats and benches? Both times I went to USAPL Nationals this was the case -- the whole meet was done in 2.5 to 3 hours. I had more success the second time by starting my bench warmups as soon as I finished my third squat (and while the other lifters were finishing their squats). I took bigger jumps in my warm ups and got to the weights where I put my shirt on as quickly as possible. Even then, I felt somewhat rushed.

Ripe1
07-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Usually the meets here are one-flight unless it's the Nationals. The raw max is around 310, opener with shirt 375-385 and from there 10-15lbs jumps. Normally at the gym the bench starts rolling by the 7th set at the gym but of course by then it has already taken around at least 25 minutes.

April Mathis
07-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Usually the meets here are one-flight unless it's the Nationals. The raw max is around 310, opener with shirt 375-385 and from there 10-15lbs jumps. Normally at the gym the bench starts rolling by the 7th set at the gym but of course by then it has already taken around at least 25 minutes.

Barxhowever many
135x5-8
225x2
275x1
Put shirt on
315x1 2-board
345x1 1-board

That's more than enough of a warmup for a meet. Spread across about 12-15 mins. If you're at the beginning of the flight, last warmup 3-5 minutes before first lifter. If at the end of the flight, last warmup just before first lifter goes.

ScottYard
07-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Barxhowever many
135x5-8
225x2
275x1
Put shirt on
315x1 2-board
345x1 1-board

That's more than enough of a warmup for a meet. Spread across about 12-15 mins. If you're at the beginning of the flight, last warmup 3-5 minutes before first lifter. If at the end of the flight, last warmup just before first lifter goes.

Thats pretty much what I was gonna say. 5 warm ups and be done. After a max squat your warm enough to get going on anything.

Ripe1
07-05-2012, 06:41 AM
Thank you all for the tips. Will be testing these shortly