PDA

View Full Version : Carb Cycling on a Cut

Bako Lifter
07-01-2012, 11:42 PM
So I'm cutting from 185 to 170. I'm currently sitting at 177-178.

I think the 5-7 pounds I've lost is water/glycogen.

So now that I've lost that I want to lose 8 pounds of only fat.

If I'm 178 @ 18% body fat, I have 146 pounds of lean mass.
If I reach 170 while keeping the 146 pounds of lean mass that would put me at 14%.

Damn I just did that math and that's depressing. But I'm sure 18% is an over estimate. My goal is 12% body fat by the end of the cut, I hope I won't have to dip below 170 as it was a bitch to get up to where I am now. Anyways....

I've read numerous ways to carb cycle, everybody has different methods. Everybody has different opinions on how many days should be low, medium, and high, and everybody has different opinions on what low, medium, and high amounts even are. So... Through no logic at all I decided on:

2 days low (60-90g, at about 2,400 calories)
2 days medium (140-160g, about 2,600 calories)
1 day high (a lot of g, at 3,400-3,600 calories)

Repeat. Protein always at 200-220g.

Does this look ok? I have no idea, please shove me in the right direction if this is not an ideal sequence.

Another problem that leads me to belive I am unique in my situation, is that I don't follow a lifting schedule. I am not on a Mon-sun routine. Right now I am using 5/3/1, but a week cycle could take me 5-8 days to complete. I rest when I feel like it, I lift when I feel like it. And when I don't lift, I'm still in my backyard working on gymnastics, running, jumping rope, box jumps, etc. So I basically have a true rest day like 3-4 times a month. The backyard work however is not intense, not heavy at all, but basically gets me a little out of breath and sweaty...

So, do I wing the carb cycling like I do exercising? Or still follow a set cycle (2 low, 2 med, 1 high).

If not following a set cycle, how do I match the carbs to my activity? It's really confusing.

Thanks for the help, ill explain more if you need more info to give me better answers.

Behemoth
07-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Two things.

First - Don't rely on your predicted numbers for a weight you're going to end up given a certain amount of bf lost. There are too many variables you can't even come close to accurately measuring to make any type of an accurate prediction.

Two - You're 18% -- why would you even consider carb cycling? It truly is the latest dieting fad and incredibly irrelevant to losing body fat in most peoples circumstances. For reasons of losing body fat it needs to viewed for what it is -- which is primarily just a protocol to dip the calories to lower levels when there is very little room to do so on a regular basis. Not some magical rotation that causes the body to turn into a lipid burning furnace because you alternate your macronutrients from day to day...

method115
07-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Sounds like were in the same situation I was 185-189 back in march. I started cutting at the end of march and I'm down to 170 and holding my weight here for the summer. My lower belly sticks out a bit more then I want it to but it's much better then it was at 189.

Bako Lifter
07-05-2012, 12:52 AM
Two things.

First - Don't rely on your predicted numbers for a weight you're going to end up given a certain amount of bf lost. There are too many variables you can't even come close to accurately measuring to make any type of an accurate prediction.

Two - You're 18% -- why would you even consider carb cycling? It truly is the latest dieting fad and incredibly irrelevant to losing body fat in most peoples circumstances. For reasons of losing body fat it needs to viewed for what it is -- which is primarily just a protocol to dip the calories to lower levels when there is very little room to do so on a regular basis. Not some magical rotation that causes the body to turn into a lipid burning furnace because you alternate your macronutrients from day to day...

1. I know, obviously. Just some numbers I jotted down to give a better idea to myself and the reader of where I stand with body composition and what needs to be done.

2. I always thought it wise to look in the mirror, estimate your bf, then add 2%. Honestly though I have to be 15-16, closer to 16. I have clear top four abs, visible bulging veins in arms and bis, cuts in my shoulders, etc. Just a smooth layer over some of me and a bit of a gut.

And why would I not? As you said, its just a way to dip calories below maintenance. Except if I went from training on 4k calories to 2800, I would feel like shit in the gym and wouldn't be surprised to see my performance take a huge hit. With cycling I can eat above maint on my hardest days, and way below on days where I don't do much.... How's that a bad idea?

And you don't agree with the insulin aspect of this diet? I'm far from your level of knowledge on this, but I believed what I've read on a lot of respectable websites... Hell, I think there is a carb cycling article on wbb. It can't all be the latest fad/ smoke and mirrors?

Invain
07-05-2012, 09:45 AM
I've had the most success keeping carbs low at all times except post workout. If you eat enough PWO there's no need for refeeds/high carb days. I see no point in rotating between medium and low carb days. Just pick something and stick with it. Your body will adjust. I could eat absolutely 0 carbs for days and still feel perfectly fine/energized in the gym.

Behemoth
07-05-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm far from your level of knowledge on thisFirst, I've never made this claim. Take my advice with a grain of salt as someone who's just dieted a lot of times in a lot of manners, not as someone who has the knowledge of shelby starnes or any other carb cycling advocate. I'm not anti cab cycling. I just know that in extreme conditions, even though it feels hardcore to do something fancy, less often is more.

And why would I not? As you said, its just a way to dip calories below maintenance. Except if I went from training on 4k calories to 2800, I would feel like shit in the gym and wouldn't be surprised to see my performance take a huge hit. With cycling I can eat above maint on my hardest days, and way below on days where I don't do much.... How's that a bad idea?

And you don't agree with the insulin aspect of this diet? I'm far from your level of knowledge on this, but I believed what I've read on a lot of respectable websites... Hell, I think there is a carb cycling article on wbb. It can't all be the latest fad/ smoke and mirrors?

It's not that it's a bad idea. It's just that viewing nutrition in 24 hour cycles can be a misleading way to organize things. It's not that carb cycling doesn't work or is a bad idea always. It's just that in all of the but the most extreme situations the extra work you put in of constantly swapping macros pretty much just levels out to the same results as an even intake as the body doesn't operate in 24 hour cycles.

ZAR-FIT
07-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Invain has the right idea. Keep daily carb amounts low... 100-200, but group them to be consumed mostly pre and post workout. atleast 25g pre and 25 grams post.

Behemoth
07-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Invain has the right idea. Keep daily carb amounts low... 100-200, but group them to be consumed mostly pre and post workout. atleast 25g pre and 25 grams post.

I agree with this. Unless the diet has an abundance of carbs to spread all over, keep them around the workout. IMO mostly all post workout provided you train efficiently without the carbs beforehand (which I believe is a placebo for most people).

Bako Lifter
07-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Ah, I see. Thanks. I guess it does feel better and make me feel more accomplished doing a fancier diet.. but I understand where you're all coming from now.

yayeti
07-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Hmm I didnt think it mattered what fat and carbs were as long as you got the right amount of protein (1g/lb) and that you were in a caloric deficit. Whats your typical fat and carbs breakdown that you feel you've had the most success? Can you give a sample day?

Bako Lifter
07-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Who, me? I've never cut before, so I couldn't tell you. But it seems like the guys who posted agree with low carb all the time except for around workout time. Whether they follow that protocol or not, I don't know. Well, invain does.