PDA

View Full Version : From Strongest To Fittest

Pages : [1] 2

AJ Roberts
07-02-2012, 09:24 PM
And so the journey begins.

For those that don't know me, my name is AJ Roberts and I'm the former 308 All Time Total record holder in powerlifting with best lifts of 1205 squat, 910 bench and a 815 deadlift.

Up until about 2 months ago I trained at Westside Barbell alongside some of the strongest lifters on this planet. However, after 10 years in the sport I decided to walk away having reached all my goals.

Some may say I left too soon, and that the best was yet to come, but I gave everything I had to the sport and mentally had nothing left to give.

I'm now living in San Diego, California and after a few weeks in the gym going through the motions and sort of being at a loss for what to do I've decided to set what many may feel is one of the hardest goals there is: To become the fittest man on Earth.

Why Crossfit?

Having spent close to 2 years running the Crossfit powerlifting Certification with Louie Simmons, Shane and Laura Sweatt, and Chris Mason I've become a big fan of the community.

Also I've always said after powerlifting I'm going to lose 100lbs (320-220) and feel that this is only going to happen if I have something other than weight loss to train for. I've followed the sport closely as it has grown and actually get excited about the thought of competing in it.

So what's the gameplan?

I'll start with my diet as this is an area that has had to dramatically improve. Although I ate what many would consider a pretty clean diet for a powerlifter the truth is I ate to get bigger and this meant pushing things to the limit. I spent the first month just eating clean and dropped from 320-293 and then for the past 2 weeks I've been doing CarbNight loading under the guidance of buddy Mark Bell.

If you haven't heard of this before he's a quick little video Mark put together: http://youtu.be/GAbym1WIV2c

The reason I decided to go with CarbNite loading vs other diets is because at this point I have a lot of weight to lose. I probably wouldn't recommend this to others unless they had a significant amount of weight to lose and would favor more of a carb rotation or backloading approach. But for now this is what I think will work best and so I'll continue on until I feel it's time to switch to something else.

As far as training goes my template looks like this

Monday
Upper body speed - Olympic lifts
1-2 Assistant exercises for Shoulders
Upper body metcon

Tues
Lower body Max effort - singles & or rep maxes
1-2 Assistant exercises for back
Lower body metcon

Thursday
Upper body max effort - singles & or rep maxes on a bench press or overhead variation
1-2 Assistant exercises for chest & triceps
Upper body metcon

Sat
Lower body speed - Box squats / free squats
1-2 Assistant exercises for glutes/hams
Lower body metcon

On my off days I'm trying to get 30-60 mins of interval training in on the elliptical for now. I plan to head down to Crossfit Invictus as well as Crossfit PB to start getting some coaching on technique and to get on the rings and other equipment I currently don't have access to

The biggest things I need to work on right now is my conditioning, flexibility and mobility. I'll need to get up to 3-5 workouts a day to be ready when the Open starts in February but for now am taking it day by day.

This journal will serve not only as a place to record my progress but also a place that publicly keep me accountable.

Here's to a new beginning...

chris mason
07-02-2012, 09:36 PM
I personally think this is very cool and am eager to see what AJ can do. Watch here to chronicle his progress.

AJ Roberts
07-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Power Clean - 135 x 8 sets of 3

Really worked on my technique with the power clean today. Strange lifting the barbell with the legs vs back off the floor. The weight was really light but as I struggle with the catch position at the top it allowed me to really practice my form.

Handstand Pushups - 3 sets of 5 reps

Wasn't sure how these would go but managed to crank out 5 reps. Did have to use a spotter to keep myself up against the wall as my legs wanted to drift back on every rep due to not having my low back flexibility. Each set I got a little better though. These completely smoked my shoulders.

Metcon - 4 rounds
Battle Rope - 1 minute
Sledgehammer Tire Strikes - 10 each side

Really pushed the pace on these and took minimal rest between the battle rope and sledgehammer, wanted to quit after 2 rounds but pushed it to 4. My grip was completely gone at this point due to all the blood that had rushed to my hands.

jed
07-02-2012, 09:49 PM
If you have the dedication and motivation to become one of the strongest people to ever walk our planet, I don't see a problem with you attaining your next goal. Good fortune to you sir and thanks for coming to WBB!

Justin Randal
07-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Very cool AJ. I have been training out of a crossfit gym since I started Powerlifting. CF is on my list of things to do after bodybuilding.

Jose Sanchez
07-02-2012, 10:22 PM
This will definitely be a great story to follow. Best of luck with the new challenges that await you.

Brandon Lilly
07-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Im really glad to see you do this as Ive already told you... Lead the way and let nothing stop you.

Bako Lifter
07-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Fuck, another beast to add to the list. Crossfit invicticus is one of the best, I was going to drop in last month but I had some difficulties with the hotel I was at in SD, so I didn't get to go.

I look forward to seeing this unfold, and I will see you at regionals some day :)

Edit: thinking about your strength, I bet you could do grace in like 2:00. And I bet you would destroy Linda, setting a record that will never be broken.

TAT 70
07-03-2012, 12:25 AM
Look forward to seeing your progress.

mike mcgee
07-03-2012, 06:48 AM
Can't wait to see your progess. Good luck.

Travis Bell
07-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Good luck AJ.

emhtennis
07-03-2012, 01:40 PM
AJ,

I'm sure you're probably already doing this, but be sure to check out www.mobilitywod.com for all there videos and advice. And since you're already in California I would make regular trips up to San Francisco to visit CFSF and Kelly Starrett personally.

Best of luck in your CrossFit endeavours!

Tim K
07-03-2012, 04:48 PM
You had the fortitude to be one of the strongest men on the planet. That same drive will lead you to success with your newest endeavor. Looking forward to watching your progress and eagerly awaiting your first competition.

Jason198
07-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Bad ass, I am sure he will be at the top of this game too, in time...kick its ass AJ

Paulo_Santos
07-03-2012, 05:42 PM
This is very cool. Good luck AJ.

lbking10
07-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Awesome! Got the link bookmarked on the homepage of my IPad, looking forward to following this! Good Luck! PS: Would love to see videos!!

AJ Roberts
07-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Thanks for all the comments everyone. Means a lot to me to have so much support going into this new chapter.

Today was Max Effort lower. I jumped in with the powerlifting group for the main movement and then broke off for accessories.

1" Deficit Deadlifts w/Short light bands (~150lbs at lockout) - worked up to 415x10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEVLVKoYUG8&feature=plcp

Although I'm still doing Max Effort on this day I'm taking a slightly different approach and changing up the reps each week. This is to focus on my strength endurance as right now it lacks in comparison to my maximal strength.

Wide Grip Rows - 3x20 reps

Ultra Wide Grip Pulldowns - 3x10 reps

Metcon - 3 Rounds
Back Raise - 20 reps
Alternating Lunge Jumps - 10 reps
Bodyweight Squats - 20 reps

I went through this with practically no rest, by the end I was completely shot. Had that feeling you get just before you throw up. You know dry mount, shakes etc. Managed to keep everything down though so thinking I should have done 1 or 2 more rounds. Maybe next time.

Travis Bell
07-03-2012, 08:36 PM
haha remember Lou always said if you throw up it's your body rejecting the training so sounds like you did just perfect.

DL's looked strong man.

Bako Lifter
07-03-2012, 09:05 PM
So are you making these up yourself or are you pulling the metcons from somewhere?

vdizenzo
07-03-2012, 09:18 PM
I really wanted to see this happen here. Awesome! I look forward to following your progress. Best of luck AJ.

chris mason
07-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all the comments everyone. Means a lot to me to have so much support going into this new chapter.

Today was Max Effort lower. I jumped in with the powerlifting group for the main movement and then broke off for accessories.

1" Deficit Deadlifts w/Short light bands (~150lbs at lockout) - worked up to 415x10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEVLVKoYUG8&feature=plcp

Although I'm still doing Max Effort on this day I'm taking a slightly different approach and changing up the reps each week. This is to focus on my strength endurance as right now it lacks in comparison to my maximal strength.

Wide Grip Rows - 3x20 reps

Ultra Wide Grip Pulldowns - 3x10 reps

Metcon - 3 Rounds
Back Raise - 20 reps
Alternating Lunge Jumps - 10 reps
Bodyweight Squats - 20 reps

I went through this with practically no rest, by the end I was completely shot. Had that feeling you get just before you throw up. You know dry mount, shakes etc. Managed to keep everything down though so thinking I should have done 1 or 2 more rounds. Maybe next time.

Use clamps! :)

Nice work!

RFabsik
07-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Got to meet you last Summer at a Westside CF Powerlifting seminar. So first thanks again for being such a great resource on training and answering all of my questions.

If anyone can make a successful transition from Powerlifting to CF, you'd be the guy.

AJ Roberts
07-03-2012, 10:34 PM
So are you making these up yourself or are you pulling the metcons from somewhere?

I currently program all my own training. Most of what I do will follow the conjugate principles as I feel this is best way to train regardless of sport.

AJ Roberts
07-03-2012, 11:00 PM
haha remember Lou always said if you throw up it's your body rejecting the training so sounds like you did just perfect.

DL's looked strong man.

Never minimal, never maximal, always optimal ;-)

Big_Byrd52
07-04-2012, 08:00 AM
I will be following your log. We are making the transition at the same time so i think it will be useful to bounce training ideas off each other. Good luck, ill be seeing u, hopefully before Uncle Rhabdo drops by.

ncsuLuke
07-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Definitely subscribing to this. I have always wanted to see someone with a background like yours get into crossfit. Best of luck, can't wait to follow your progress.

AJ Roberts
07-04-2012, 12:45 PM
I will be following your log. We are making the transition at the same time so i think it will be useful to bounce training ideas off each other. Good luck, ill be seeing u, hopefully before Uncle Rhabdo drops by.

Sounds good. Maybe you can take a trip out to La Jolla and we can hit the gym together.

You still keeping your log over on EFS?

bingo
07-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Hey AJ! Just wanted to give a quick shout out and say Good on Ya for your new adventure. Hope all goes well. SoCal is certainly filled with resources. Think about dropping in on Jeff Martin at Brand X in Ramona. He spent a little time with Louie and I bet you've met.

Best of luck!

--bingo

AJ Roberts
07-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Quick little cardio workout today

KB Swings - 30 secs on 30 secs off x 10 rounds

Had planned on 20 rounds but my back was fried by round 6. Pushed through to the 10 minute mark but enough was enough. Probably wasn't the best thing to pick after doing back raises yesterday but you live and learn.

Elliptical - 10 minutes

This didn't put pressure on the low back and so I was able to keep a pretty good pace.

Overall though my conditioning is way off the mark so I think it's time to go to 2 workouts a day.

Patz
07-04-2012, 06:28 PM
This should be a good read. This could be very good for the sport as well. Too many people are ignorant of Crossfit and make snap judgements, or just bash it incessantly with no real basis in fact.

Two things..

-What's your age?

-How will you explain kipping to all the retards who tell you it's "cheating"? ;)

AJ Roberts
07-04-2012, 07:16 PM
This should be a good read. This could be very good for the sport as well. Too many people are ignorant of Crossfit and make snap judgements, or just bash it incessantly with no real basis in fact.

Two things..

-What's your age?

-How will you explain kipping to all the retards who tell you it's "cheating"? ;)

Turned 27 back in March.

I won't. You'll never convince them otherwise so it's best to let the hater hate and while they are doing that I'll be in the gym doing work.

Alex.V
07-04-2012, 07:24 PM

Two things..

-What's your age?

Defensive much?

Chubrock
07-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Make a run at next years games...250K bringing out the big boys now.

Bako Lifter
07-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Defensive much?

He speaks the truth.

Jason198
07-04-2012, 09:14 PM
250K... WILL PROB EVEN GET BIGGER...

Caino
07-05-2012, 03:58 AM
AJ, i would be very interested to see how feed yourself throughout this phase too, i made the mistake of not eating enought whilst destroying myself doing metcons which= testosterone of an old woman

Patz
07-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Defensive much?

Nah..lol. I just would imagine that the powerlifting community will give him a hard time. Then again, he's a legend in their community so that'll probably shut most people up.

AJ..you're a prime age for this. I was afraid you were late 30's.

Travis Bell
07-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Nah..lol. I just would imagine that the powerlifting community will give him a hard time. Then again, he's a legend in their community so that'll probably shut most people up.

AJ..you're a prime age for this. I was afraid you were late 30's.

Nobody who's opinion is worth listening to will ever give AJ a hard time.

Big_Byrd52
07-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Sounds good. Maybe you can take a trip out to La Jolla and we can hit the gym together.

You still keeping your log over on EFS?

Yes im still at EFS and AnimalPak. Would love to get back out there soon. I was there for the 4th of July last year for a week. Only part part is every time i visit i get the impulse to pack everything and move out right away... if only it were that simple.

Big_Byrd52
07-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Turned 27 back in March.

I won't. You'll never convince them otherwise so it's best to let the hater hate and while they are doing that I'll be in the gym doing work.

Thats smart. Its never a good idea to have a battle of wits with the unarmed!

Big_Byrd52
07-05-2012, 08:11 PM
AJ, i would be very interested to see how feed yourself throughout this phase too, i made the mistake of not eating enought whilst destroying myself doing metcons which= testosterone of an old woman

This something ive been mulling over for a few days. Ive decided to cut protein back each meal from 10 oz to 8oz, cut carbs from 8 oz to 6oz, and add 1tbs olive oil or serve of nuts with each meal (normally dont add any extra fat, just from my 2 steak meals). Ive also cut starchy carbs back and replaced 1/3 with mixed veggies (so 1/2 cup rice w/ 1/2 cup mixed veggies [corn, green beans, peas, and carrots] instead of 3/4 cup of rice only. Not paleo, but little to no procressed foods except my pro shakes

AJ Roberts
07-05-2012, 11:42 PM

This something ive been mulling over for a few days. Ive decided to cut protein back each meal from 10 oz to 8oz, cut carbs from 8 oz to 6oz, and add 1tbs olive oil or serve of nuts with each meal (normally dont add any extra fat, just from my 2 steak meals). Ive also cut starchy carbs back and replaced 1/3 with mixed veggies (so 1/2 cup rice w/ 1/2 cup mixed veggies [corn, green beans, peas, and carrots] instead of 3/4 cup of rice only. Not paleo, but little to no procressed foods except my pro shakes

Sounds like you got much more of a plan than me Sam, but then again you've always had you diet pretty much dialed in.

For me it's pretty simple right now..

Breakfast - Eggs & Bacon/Sausage
Mid Morning - Protein Shake
Lunch - Red Meat + Green Veggies
Mid Afternoon - Pre-Workout Shake
After workout - Protein Shake
Dinner - Red Meat + Veggies
Before Bed - Protein Shake

I do this for 6 days then on 7th last two meals are + carbs

I was sticking to White meat but with this plan I need to keep fats high so red meat + fish oil is what I was told to do.

I'll probably do this for a few more weeks and then look at changing things up to "shock" the body again.

AJ Roberts
07-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Yes im still at EFS and AnimalPak. Would love to get back out there soon. I was there for the 4th of July last year for a week. Only part part is every time i visit i get the impulse to pack everything and move out right away... if only it were that simple.

Sure it is. JUST DO IT!

Yosh86
07-06-2012, 12:12 AM
Congrats on reaching your powerlifting goals and finding a new challenge to tackle. I just hope that crossfit doesn't use your strength as some sort of propaganda claim i.e. "crossfit causes a 1200+lbs squat."

AJ Roberts
07-06-2012, 01:11 AM
Headed over to CrossFit Invictus today to let Dave Lipson put me through a workout.

We went on the minute every minute for 20 minutes straight alternating 7 Powercleans with 7 Pullups.

We set up a band for pullups for when I couldn't do them anymore, I managed 3 rounds without. At the 10 minute mark I had to drop my cleans to 5's. Hit that for two more rounds then had to drop to 3. Did that for 2 round and then finished the last round with 7. The weight was never an issue but my lungs on the other hand were about to explode...well at least that's how it felt. Not being able to breath meant my technique went to shit and I starting missing reps and having to repeat. In my mind all I could hear was the infamous voice of the CF Judge "NO REP".

Dave of course barely broke a sweat and completed all rounds for all reps with ease without modification.

Here's a little video my amazing girlfriend Gracie put together from today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ZDla9vzgw&feature=youtu.be

Bako Lifter
07-06-2012, 01:56 AM
Yeeeeeah buddy!! Great workout man, looks like you were pissed and wanted to die haha. Shits hard ain't it?

I can't wait to see you're level of work once you get some more endurance.

vdizenzo
07-06-2012, 07:40 AM
I am super impressed with the work at your size. This is inspiring.

AJ Roberts
07-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Yeeeeeah buddy!! Great workout man, looks like you were pissed and wanted to die haha. Shits hard ain't it?

I can't wait to see you're level of work once you get some more endurance.

I was pissed off at how pathetically out of shape I am. It will come in time just have to do the work.

AJ Roberts
07-06-2012, 10:53 AM
I am super impressed with the work at your size. This is inspiring.

Don't you have abs now or something?

Paulo_Santos
07-06-2012, 11:11 AM
AJ, you doing any running/sprinting or rowing? That will definitely help speed up your cardio real quick.

AJ Roberts
07-06-2012, 11:34 AM
AJ, you doing any running/sprinting or rowing? That will definitely help speed up your cardio real quick.

I don't have access to a rower on a regular basis but I've added in hill sprints and the elliptical. I also jog/walk my dogs 3-4 times a day.

Paulo_Santos
07-06-2012, 12:16 PM
I don't have access to a rower on a regular basis but I've added in hill sprints and the elliptical. I also jog/walk my dogs 3-4 times a day.

Some of the hardest cardio Metcons that I've done were:

4x500 Meter Row (rest 5-7 minutes between rounds)

4x400 Meter Run (rest 2-3 mintes between rounds)

4x800 Meter Run (rest 4-6 mintes between rounds)

BendtheBar
07-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Best of luck.

AJ Roberts
07-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Some of the hardest cardio Metcons that I've done were:

4x500 Meter Row (rest 5-7 minutes between rounds)

4x400 Meter Run (rest 2-3 mintes between rounds)

4x800 Meter Run (rest 4-6 mintes between rounds)

Thanks I've jotted these down and will have to give them a shot when I can.

Alex.V
07-07-2012, 06:54 AM
You have a goal bodyweight to be at (that you think will give you the best blend of power and endurance)?

Jason198
07-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Just Think what he will be like, by Febuary 2013 for the open...people like him get there mind set, and its no stopping them...

AJ Roberts
07-07-2012, 10:31 PM
You have a goal bodyweight to be at (that you think will give you the best blend of power and endurance)?

220 is what i'm shooting for

AJ Roberts
07-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Today I decided to do some latic acid tolerance training with my dynamic squats.

Safety bar squats w/245 x 2 reps x 20 sets

Went on the minute every minute for 20 minutes.

Followed this up with a box squat hill sprint ladder.

1 Box Jump 1 Hill Sprint
2 Box Jump 2 Hill Sprint
3 Box Jump 3 Hill Sprint
4 Box Jump 4 Hill Sprint
5 Box Jump 5 Hill Sprint

Bako Lifter
07-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Good stuff. I like the powerlifting lift blend you're using.

In traditional couplets, as one thing gets harder the other gets easier. You might wanna try

1 box jump, 5 sprints
2 box jump, 4 sprints
3 box jump, 3 sprints

I think it allows you to stay at a constant power output throughout the whole wod so you don't burn out all at once. Just something to think about...

marcorock
07-08-2012, 06:57 AM
So, BOTH AJ Roberts and Sam Byrd are going CF?!?!?

That's a lot of beef for PL to loose...2 uber strong lifters1

AJ, best of luck with this next challenge! and...SD is a great place!

Alex.V
07-08-2012, 07:27 AM
220 is what i'm shooting for

Awesome. If you decide to enter the games, I'm joining you.

chris mason
07-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Alex, you absolutely should. I think you could do very well and the money is only going to increase with time.

sfranklin
07-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Hey AJ and Chris,

I don't know either of you, but I'm a CrossFit affiliate owner and newbie to the conjugate method. I'm enamored of Louie's work, and I've recently begun following Kate Rawling's strength workouts (which I believe you, Chris, had a hand in).

I'm super excited to see someone of AJ's caliber go for the CrossFit Games gold. All I know is CrossFit. It's been exciting to start tinkering with ME and DE training at our box. I look forward to following your work and choices regarding workouts, as I know I will learn more about conjugate ideology.

Thanks for being so public about your endeavors, AJ. You are incredibly inspiring!!!

AJ Roberts
07-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Good stuff. I like the powerlifting lift blend you're using.

In traditional couplets, as one thing gets harder the other gets easier. You might wanna try

1 box jump, 5 sprints
2 box jump, 4 sprints
3 box jump, 3 sprints

I think it allows you to stay at a constant power output throughout the whole wod so you don't burn out all at once. Just something to think about...

Yea I can see that for sure. I did first 3 couplets without rest then on the 4th began to slow, by the time I hit the 5th I was hurting :bang:

AJ Roberts
07-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Hey AJ and Chris,

I don't know either of you, but I'm a CrossFit affiliate owner and newbie to the conjugate method. I'm enamored of Louie's work, and I've recently begun following Kate Rawling's strength workouts (which I believe you, Chris, had a hand in).

I'm super excited to see someone of AJ's caliber go for the CrossFit Games gold. All I know is CrossFit. It's been exciting to start tinkering with ME and DE training at our box. I look forward to following your work and choices regarding workouts, as I know I will learn more about conjugate ideology.

Thanks for being so public about your endeavors, AJ. You are incredibly inspiring!!!

Cool.

You should check out these also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScjg4FcWls

>> Interview with Rudy Nielsen, owner of Outlaw CrossFit (http://library.crossfit.com/free/audio/CFRadioEpisode231.mp3)

Both give you a good idea how other Crossfitters are using the conjugate system with success.

chris mason
07-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Hey AJ and Chris,

That's awesome, thank you! Feel free to email me at chris@atlargenutrition.com if you ever have any questions.

And yes, Kate and I have conversed many a time. A great gal who really knows her stuff.

Finally, yes, AJ keeping this log is very, very cool. I truly appreciate it as I know many will find it interesting to follow.

Ben Norris
07-09-2012, 01:29 AM
It is great to see AJ getting into Crossfit, and will be following your journey. In fact it is great to see some Westsiders getting into Crossfit, like many in the Crossfit community I have great respect for Westside barbell and will be doing it for 2 years to get my strength numbers up to par. (Not to your levels, thats for sure!!!) Its fantastic that people like Chris help us out and respect what we do.

AJ my 2 cents. You should do alot of Rowing to loose weight and to increase your work capacity quickly as this is highly effective and is not as stressful on your joints at 300 pounds as running is.

Keep up the technique work and slowly add new things in. Best of luck!

PS: Go onto the outlaw way for some great training ideas.

vdizenzo
07-09-2012, 04:56 AM
Don't you have abs now or something?

Back to some faint outlines. After my raw meet this weekend I want to drop somewhere between 10-15 lbs, maybe we can start talking abs then. As a result of your new endeavor I am motivated to add a lot more conditioning to my program.

Raw Power
07-09-2012, 09:37 PM
What all do your shakes consist of?

Thanks AJ

James G

AJ Roberts
07-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Wasn't able to make it to the gym till late and didn't have much time so decided to try my hand at the WOD Grace.

Clean & Press 135lbs x30 reps @ 4:07

Warming up my wrists were killing me and I contemplated just doing something different today but decided to push through. I think they are still all jacked up from last Wednesday although they seemed to loosen up a bit the further I got into it.

I hit 10 reps and then took a short break and proceeded to do sets of 5 then rest. It's funny how weak you become when you don't have any lungs.

Considering Dan Bailey's holds the record for this at like 1:02 I'd say I've got my work cut out but as with anything you have to start somewhere.

After this I finished up with abs.

Leg Raises on Dip Bars - 4x10

chris mason
07-10-2012, 12:43 AM
That one IS nasty, no? I have done it a couple of times and was horribly gassed!

vdizenzo
07-10-2012, 07:15 AM
This stuff is too easy. Here was yesterday's wod for me:

Bench, bar 5x20
Barbell ext, bar 3x20
OHP, bar 3x20
Bent over rows, 3x20

By my very accurate internal clock, I did all of this work in 29 minutes 13 seconds. Beat that $hit!

snoboredca
07-10-2012, 12:19 PM
I was pissed off at how pathetically out of shape I am. It will come in time just have to do the work.

Don't sweat it too much, everyone starts somewhere. Imagine being like me, no endurance, no skills, and weak! If you want to feel good about yourself, ask them to schedule a CFT day. :) They'll know what it means.

JohnnyRingo
07-10-2012, 05:38 PM
AJ,

The more articles I read, and see pics of you I wonder. How tall are you?

ncsuLuke
07-10-2012, 05:57 PM
You will get that endurance up in no time. I went from pathetically out of shape and weak from not lifting for around a year to doing grace in 2:XX in just a few months of just doing crossfit. At your strength I can't imagine what your wod times will be in a couple months.

AJ Roberts
07-11-2012, 12:09 PM
AJ,

The more articles I read, and see pics of you I wonder. How tall are you?

I'm 6ft on a good day, depends on how much spinal compression I have going on...lol

AJ Roberts
07-11-2012, 12:09 PM
This stuff is too easy. Here was yesterday's wod for me:

Bench, bar 5x20
Barbell ext, bar 3x20
OHP, bar 3x20
Bent over rows, 3x20

By my very accurate internal clock, I did all of this work in 29 minutes 13 seconds. Beat that $hit!

BEAST MODE

AJ Roberts
07-11-2012, 12:10 PM
You will get that endurance up in no time. I went from pathetically out of shape and weak from not lifting for around a year to doing grace in 2:XX in just a few months of just doing crossfit. At your strength I can't imagine what your wod times will be in a couple months.

I hope so. You'll probably see a lot of changes of the next few weeks in my training as I try to figure out just how much abuse my body can take.

AJ Roberts
07-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Workout 1 @ Crossfit Invictus

Got a text from Dave asking if I want to hit a workout with him and Cody Burgener before they take off to the Games so headed downtown to do work.

Did on the minute for 20 minutes with
53lb KB Swings x15
Burpee x6

Dave did bench and deadlift while Cody did Bench and back squat. Although we weren't all doing the same movements just working out together really pushed each of us. I was complete spent at the end and rolled around on the floor for a good 15 minutes before I could stand. Good stuff!

Workout 2 - ME Lower

Giant Cambered Bar Squats w/green band (over plates ~150-200lbs) up to 445

This was done about 2hrs after workout 1 and although I felt recovered I started to feel extremely dizzy under the bar so shut it down early.

Laying Leg Curls - 3x20

Leg Extensions - 3x15

Today makes week 3 of the CarbNight diet. I'm down to 286 which although isn't a whole lot still is heading in the right direction. After talking with Mark this week i'm going to do two things, bump the healthy fats to at least 20g's a meal and increase my meals to around 9 a day (6 food 3 shakes). Will probably do this for the next week and then maybe look at switching things up to shock the body once again.

Future
07-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Without really knowing you I want to say I am impressed and inspired.

I have been dealing with injuries as a raw lifter for a while. I just decided to retire because I can't take the heavy weights like I could before. I have worked at a box as a strength coach for a while but that was just improving their absolute strength. Truth is I couldn't hang with their workouts. I was embarrassed many times. It was humbling.

I am gonna get back on the horse. :)

Shawn

AJ Roberts
07-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Without really knowing you I want to say I am impressed and inspired.

I have been dealing with injuries as a raw lifter for a while. I just decided to retire because I can't take the heavy weights like I could before. I have worked at a box as a strength coach for a while but that was just improving their absolute strength. Truth is I couldn't hang with their workouts. I was embarrassed many times. It was humbling.

I am gonna get back on the horse. :)

Shawn

Shawn that's awesome to hear. I feel very exposed writing this log as quite frankly it's down right embarrassing how bad I am at this stuff. Hearing that it has giving you some inspiration though helps. Would love to see you keep a journal here.

Future
07-11-2012, 02:42 PM
I hate journalling but maybe for accountability it would be good. I know Chris would always have some solid input as well. I might steal your template idea as well. Hope you don't mind. :)

AJ Roberts
07-11-2012, 09:29 PM
As I'll be heading up the Crossfit Games tomorrow I wanted to get my ME Upper body day in today.

Headed over to Crossfit PB to workout with co-owner Anders Varner.

Snatch - up to max

Worked up to 195x3 but my technique started to go down hill fast and instead of snatching, it looked more like a deadlift front raise. So we took the weight down to 175 and I did a 3 position drill until I got it right. Worked back up and did the same weight again for a single but much much cleaner.

Rings Dips - 3x8
Pull ups - 3x10

Metcon - 4 Rounds

Wall Ball w/ 25lb x10
Row - 250m
Farmers walk w/100lb dumbbells ~50 yards

After the workout Anders and I talked for quite some time about training for the games. They have a pretty solid crew and as it's literally 5mins from my house I'm going to start training with them on a regular basis. I'll still be visiting other gyms and learning from as many people as I can but I just feel if I have a home box it moves me one step closer to the overal goal.

AJ Roberts
07-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Here's a interview with Dave Castro on programming for the Games where I play a lil' cameo role. This was before Camp Pendleton was announced and Sevan was trying to get him to reveal what was in store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10_FnzuPyZI&feature=plcp

Bako Lifter
07-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Haha is that kid a super annoying dick in real life or just he just play that character on camera? He's always interviewing people.

Ben Norris
07-12-2012, 01:20 AM
AJ make sure you are doing a couple Mobility WODS every day.

www.mobilitywod.com (WFS)

Not only will it immensly help your positioning with stuff like O" Lifting it will ensure you avoid injuries. Keep up the good work, your metcon will come quick for somebody with your strength numbers.

Samppa
07-12-2012, 02:28 AM
Interesting to see you change your goals AJ!
It's a big change for your body to switch from anaerobic alactic energy systems to aerobic and anaerobic lactic energy systems. As you have mentioned many times here, your lungs are your weakness at the moment without a doubt. That is actually your heart most of all. Your heart is conditioned to pump hard against high blood pressure, and that makes the walls thick but the volume the heart can pump is compromised. If you want to be able to perform nonstop for over 1-2 minutes, you need aerobic capacity, which means you need your heart to be able to pump larger amounts of blood per beat.
You will see the greatest improvement in condition in the long run, if you start building your endurance with steady 130-150bpm cardio for 40-60 minutes up to 5 days a week. Walking your dog I'm not sure is enough effort, do you have a heart rate monitor?
Build your heart pumping capacity first to be able to pump oxygen more efficiently to your body and you will see a drastic change in a few months.
Intervals and other sport specific training is also important, but I would focus on your aerobic capacity FIRST, since that's what you have the LEAST conditioning in based on your sport background, and crossfit requires a good aerobic capacity. Good luck with the training!

AJ Roberts
07-12-2012, 08:46 AM
AJ make sure you are doing a couple Mobility WODS every day.

www.mobilitywod.com (WFS)

Not only will it immensly help your positioning with stuff like O" Lifting it will ensure you avoid injuries. Keep up the good work, your metcon will come quick for somebody with your strength numbers.

Yea I follow Kelly religiously after working with him when he came to Westside.

Here's a video of him take me through some joint mobility stuff for my hips and shoulders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv2e8VVjrgc

Paulo_Santos
07-12-2012, 08:49 AM
Interesting to see you change your goals AJ!
It's a big change for your body to switch from anaerobic alactic energy systems to aerobic and anaerobic lactic energy systems. As you have mentioned many times here, your lungs are your weakness at the moment without a doubt. That is actually your heart most of all. Your heart is conditioned to pump hard against high blood pressure, and that makes the walls thick but the volume the heart can pump is compromised. If you want to be able to perform nonstop for over 1-2 minutes, you need aerobic capacity, which means you need your heart to be able to pump larger amounts of blood per beat.
You will see the greatest improvement in condition in the long run, if you start building your endurance with steady 130-150bpm cardio for 40-60 minutes up to 5 days a week. Walking your dog I'm not sure is enough effort, do you have a heart rate monitor?
Build your heart pumping capacity first to be able to pump oxygen more efficiently to your body and you will see a drastic change in a few months.
Intervals and other sport specific training is also important, but I would focus on your aerobic capacity FIRST, since that's what you have the LEAST conditioning in based on your sport background, and crossfit requires a good aerobic capacity. Good luck with the training!

Not to mention that doing cardio for 60 minutes burns at least 500 calories, which helps with losing weight.

AJ Roberts
07-13-2012, 01:01 AM
Not to mention that doing cardio for 60 minutes burns at least 500 calories, which helps with losing weight.

I appreciate your guys input but truth be told done individually neither slow state cardio nor high intensity intervals are going to get me to where I want to go. Slow state cardio straight up burns calories but pretty much once the workout is over that's it. High intensity cardio creates exercise post oxygen consumption which keeps me burning more calories around the clock. Mix those both with a solid nutritional plan, resistance training and just straight up moving more in general, which quite frankly can never be a bad thing, and now you have a formula for success.

Samppa
07-13-2012, 05:43 AM
I know steady state cardio is boring but the point of it is not fat loss, it's the effect on the heart muscle.
The bigger the volume per beat your heart can pump, the longer it takes for you to gas out, and with a large muscle mass you will gas out quick if your heart isn't huge. Steady state cardio increases the volume your heart can pump like no other exercise. It's a different ballgame from high intensity exercise, which has it's place also, HIIT and such is just the muscular side of aerobic/anaerobic treshold conditioning. Check out Joel Jamieson, his book is very enlightening.

Paulo_Santos
07-13-2012, 06:48 AM
When I started doing CrossFit in January of 2010, I was a pure cardio guy. Even though I had a hard time doing some of the workouts RX due to the heavier weights, I would destroy my co-workers at most of the WODs just because I would pace myself and catch up to them and beat them. The only things they would beat me at was the heavy stuff. Then as my strength increased, I was able to beat them at pretty much everything. They hated doing cardio and they never developed that engine to go longer than 15 minutes.

And looking at the first couple of workouts at the games, I think a lot of guys were caught off guard, especially by the first workout.

Patz
07-13-2012, 12:42 PM
I can't see a link or anything to the videos you post. Sucks.

I would be interested to see the times for you WODs. It'll go a long way for seeing your progress.

Chubrock
07-13-2012, 04:46 PM
When I started doing CrossFit in January of 2010, I was a pure cardio guy. Even though I had a hard time doing some of the workouts RX due to the heavier weights, I would destroy my co-workers at most of the WODs just because I would pace myself and catch up to them and beat them. The only things they would beat me at was the heavy stuff. Then as my strength increased, I was able to beat them at pretty much everything. They hated doing cardio and they never developed that engine to go longer than 15 minutes.

And looking at the first couple of workouts at the games, I think a lot of guys were caught off guard, especially by the first workout.

I'm not sure exactly what point you were attempting to make with this post, but in terms of creating a better Crossfit "athlete", I'll take a pure strength trained individual over pure cardio any day of the week. It is far easier to raise metabolic conditioning levels to acceptable points than it is to develop a high level of absolute strength.

I believe it was Alex off the board who said something awhile back that I believe to be true. The comment was made that individuals that regularly work with heavy (relative) loads in the gym, and focus on heavy lifts as the basis for their programming, become more adept at being uncomfortable. Psychologically, after repeated years spent under crushing loads, the mind begins to accept the pain and discomfort as a norm. The focus, aggressiveness and pain threshold needed to hit a heavy squat far outweighs, IMHO, what is needed to complete mileage on foot or on a bike. When pain and discomfort become a normal occurrence, the mind begins to accept it as such, and the fight or flight process becomes very one sided. Get comfortable being uncomfortable.

Paulo_Santos
07-13-2012, 07:38 PM
I'm not sure exactly what point you were attempting to make with this post, but in terms of creating a better Crossfit "athlete", I'll take a pure strength trained individual over pure cardio any day of the week. It is far easier to raise metabolic conditioning levels to acceptable points than it is to develop a high level of absolute strength.

I believe it was Alex off the board who said something awhile back that I believe to be true. The comment was made that individuals that regularly work with heavy (relative) loads in the gym, and focus on heavy lifts as the basis for their programming, become more adept at being uncomfortable. Psychologically, after repeated years spent under crushing loads, the mind begins to accept the pain and discomfort as a norm. The focus, aggressiveness and pain threshold needed to hit a heavy squat far outweighs, IMHO, what is needed to complete mileage on foot or on a bike. When pain and discomfort become a normal occurrence, the mind begins to accept it as such, and the fight or flight process becomes very one sided. Get comfortable being uncomfortable.

Sorry, my point was that I started CrossFit and I was pathetically weak and I still did real well in most WODs. As I got stronger, I got even better. But when I started to neglect my conditioning and only doing 8-12 minute Metcons, my conditioning suffered. Example: My best ever time doing the "Filthy 50" was around 25 minutes. I did it again earlier in the year and it took me 27:4?. I just did it today and it took me 31:44. And I have lost 14# in the last couple of months.

To be competitive in CrossFit, you have to be BALANCED, or you will be punished. Most of the top level guys are squatting 400# and Deadlifting 500#, and for comparison, their "Filthy 50" times are in the high teens. So it doesn't matter if you started out strong as hell, or if you started out in great cardio shape. Once you get to the above numbers and have mastered the gymnastic stuff, you will be competitive.

NITF
07-14-2012, 03:36 AM
This is becoming my fav journal on here! Really cool all around, thanks for letting us see this man.

Patz
07-15-2012, 10:11 AM

Well put. In-fact, you just inspired me to work harder to follow that philosophy..lol

Shawn Bellon
07-15-2012, 07:06 PM
I appreciate your guys input but truth be told done individually neither slow state cardio nor high intensity intervals are going to get me to where I want to go. Slow state cardio straight up burns calories but pretty much once the workout is over that's it. High intensity cardio creates exercise post oxygen consumption which keeps me burning more calories around the clock. Mix those both with a solid nutritional plan, resistance training and just straight up moving more in general, which quite frankly can never be a bad thing, and now you have a formula for success.

Amen.

Dave Alan
07-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Most of the top level guys are squatting 400# and Deadlifting 500#...

You know, not being into Cross Fit I wouldn't have thought this but I caught some of the games on TV over the weekend and the top guys and gals are amazingly strong and in ridiculous condition at the same time. It was very impressive and fun to watch.

Completely serious question though - what is the reason for the kipping (kipped?) chin ups? People either mock them or mock those who mock them but nobody ever explains them.:)

JohnnyRingo
07-17-2012, 12:04 AM
I'm 6ft on a good day, depends on how much spinal compression I have going on...lol

Man really?! by looking at a few pics of you next to other people I thought you were like 6'6".

Oh and just in case you haven't seen this.......which I'm sure you have.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146228603

Bako Lifter
07-17-2012, 12:41 AM
you generate a higher power output over a longer period of time kipping. they are easier than strict, but the workouts are to increase your metabolic conditioning. do 4 sets of 8 strict pull ups, then do 32 kips in a row. you'll be out of breath, your fore arms, back, biceps, abs, etc will all be feeling it.

Samppa
07-17-2012, 01:06 AM
This is going to sound wild, but consider dropping your strength training to only 2 times a week! What, am I an idiot?! Strength training rocks! Yes I agree, that's why I stick to powerlifting and strongman, BUT consider the numbers mentioned above.

Top level guys squat around 400 and pull around 500. You're focusing on your most trained attribute 4 days a week, yet don't have a structured plan for aerobic training, that which you need to work on most. Think about it.

You could lose 200-300 pounds off your main lifts and still be fine as far as strength goes, but your aerobic condition is not competitive. That's what you might want to focus on and get a cardio coach who really understands the energy systems and how to increase mitochondria, cardiac output, fast/slow twitch oxidative capabilities, threshold training, cardiac power and so on. The aerobic system has a tremendous capacity for improvement, it should be the base of training for an endurance sport like crossfit. Crossfit is such a young sport, I can see that the training systems are still developing a lot, and with a smart training program it's possible to get a good advantage over the less educated competitors.

Thanks for sharing your project, it's very interesting to see how your body changes with the change of sport! Thanks a lot! I hope my ideas were helpful to you reaching your goals. :read: :)

Patz
07-17-2012, 09:58 AM
You know, not being into Cross Fit I wouldn't have thought this but I caught some of the games on TV over the weekend and the top guys and gals are amazingly strong and in ridiculous condition at the same time. It was very impressive and fun to watch.

Completely serious question though - what is the reason for the kipping (kipped?) chin ups? People either mock them or mock those who mock them but nobody ever explains them.:)

Something to add to Bako Lifter's reply.

People like to give kipping a hard time, and probably more so after this past weekend's games because of the ring dip and HSPU kips. The thing these people fail to realize/accept is Crossfit is Crossfit. It's not bodybuilding. It's a lot of styles and sports mixed but bodybuilding isn't one of them. It's a sport, and sports have rules and standards. A kip is an accepted movement. It's EXPECTED. If it wasn't, the WODs wouldn't have 50-100 pullups. They dont want you to catch your breath..lol It's chin over bar, plain and simple. Get up there any way you can as long as you start from a hang. I don't get why people complain about kipping when kipping is within the rules and the game is designed around it. It's like arguing strict press vs push press--they may both say "press" but they're a different movement.

Anyway..that's my explanation.

Luckily for AJ, he's around people who are open-minded about Crossfit. I didn't even realize Westside was so intertwined. One of our coaches yesterday was doing banded box deadlifts. He was telling me how much he'd learned from Laura Phelps-Sweatt a few weeks back at a collaborative event, and she had told him how much she'd changed things since working with Crossfit. That whole partnership has created a lot of excitement locally and nationally. Crossfitters want to get stronger, and powerlifters want to get fitter. It's really great to see.

AJ Roberts
07-17-2012, 10:04 AM

There is a good discussion about the kipping pull up here http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=5010&page=1

AJ Roberts
07-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Back from the Games and more motivated than ever. One of the best experiences of my life.

Got to spend a lot of time with various people and had a lot of great feedback on my training. I'm not going to go into all the details as you will see it unfold as we go along.

One thing though is you'll see a lot of changes in my programming as I really focus on my weaknesses. I'm turning the majority of my programming over to Anders Varner and the folks at Crossfit PB. This isn't because I don't feel like what I am doing will work, but more about finding people who have achieved the level I wish to obtain and fast tracking my progress. We both agree that if I wasn't at the strength level I am then what I've been doing with a few small tweaks would absolutely be the best course of action. However, we need to prioritize and as I have some MASSIVE areas I need to catch up on this needs to be prioritized.

Here's how today broke down.

1) Mobility work

2) Snatch off high box - Technique work

Need to learn how to move my body faster. I'm so used to being rigid and tight that it's hard for me to move in a fluid motion.

3) High bar olympic back squat - worked up to 315x5 with 3 second pauses in bottom position

I need to learn to get comfortable in the bottom position as I'm going to be spending a lot of time there with all these new exercises. Surprisingly, I'm able to perform these pretty well but hanging out for three seconds in the hole is never fun.

Metcon - 30 seconds of each x 4 rounds
a) High bar olympic back squat - 135lbs
b) Full sit ups
c) Handstand holds against wall

Rest time was the time it took to get to the next station. Nothing fun about this.

Sprints 100m x 5

Legs were already shot, low back was throbbing and I wanted to quit before we even started. Then I thought "Froning's probably already worked out twice today". Pushed through and although it was by no means fast, I did the work.

Sidenote* In high school my best time for the 100m was 11 seconds flat. I also ran on the 400m relay team and clocked a best time of 53.7 seconds. Gives me something to shoot for.

chris mason
07-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Good stuff AJ! It was nice seeing you guys at the Games. I'm really excited for you.

Tim K
07-17-2012, 12:56 PM
I can't wait to see what your journal looks like in a year. Heck, even in a couple months the progress towards your goal are going to be huge. Good Stuff!

AJ Roberts
07-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Good stuff AJ! It was nice seeing you guys at the Games. I'm really excited for you.

Yea, always good hanging with you Chris.

AJ Roberts
07-17-2012, 10:42 PM
1) Mobility work

2) Snatch off low box - more technique work

3) Push Press - 3x5

4a) Ring Dips - Max reps
4b) Kipping Pullups - Max Reps

Figured out how to string together kipping pullups. I get a little wild after 3 or 4 reps but I felt like I made a step in the right direction today.

AMRAP - 12 minutes
a) Snatches x14 w/115lbs
b) Burpee to Ring dips x7
c) 400m

Later in the evening I hit 30mins on the elliptical after I got done coaching.

Bako Lifter
07-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Don't be shy, what were those max reps? Let us all see the start so we can better admire the finish!

AJ Roberts
07-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Don't be shy, what were those max reps? Let us all see the start so we can better admire the finish!

I think I went 14, 11, 10 on the dips and 10, 10, 14 on the pull ups. I actually did probably 6x3 on pull-ups after that practicing the kip.

AJ Roberts
07-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Today was one of those days were everything hurt. Luckily, my massage girl could squeeze me in and so I got a little work done to flush out some soreness before I had to hit the gym.

In the gym we focused a lot on technique and didn't worry about the weight, so if everything seems light, that's because it was.

1) Mobility Work

This was brutally painful today and came straight from Kelly Starett. Basically, we took a Rouge VooDoo Floss Band and wrapped it around the top of my arm as tight as possible, then forced my arm into flexion and extension before hanging on the pull-up bar. Hurt like a bitch but gave me at least a inch of extra arm length allowing me to get into the front squat position.

2) Split Jerk - 5x3 w/95lbs

Technique, technique, technique. Learning to move my body fast under the bar vs moving the bar fast away from the body is going to take some time, but things started to click towards the end.

3) Front Squats - 5x3 w/135lbs

Don't really remember how many sets we did as again we were just working on technique. Keeping elbows up and getting my body into the bottom position. Frustrating as the weight feels so light yet I struggle with the catch position and balancing so the concentric phase is terrible. At least standing up is easy.

4a) Romain Deadlifts - 3x8 w/225lbs
4b) Goodmornings - 3x8 w/95lbs

Superset with no rest between them. Hamstrings were fried.

Conditioning Test - 5mins

Row 500m then complete as many Thrusters w/95lbs as possible. I finished with 20.

This was done to give us some base numbers for my current fitness level. I will do a few more tests next week as well. Plan is to come back to these every now and then to track progress.

Shawn Bellon
07-18-2012, 08:15 PM
The mobility work sounds painful!

Patz
07-19-2012, 03:57 AM
In my humble opinion, the jerk is the toughest movement to master. It's not natural to force yourself under a bar before getting stable on your feet. I still suck at it, 2 years later. :)

Do you know of an example video of that mobility work you did? I need that front rack position ROM really bad.

rheacat
07-19-2012, 09:10 AM
I'm not certain this is the same mobility drill that AJ used, but it sounds very similar. I tried doing it with Ace bandage, but it really makes a difference using the voodoo floss or a similar product.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/04/banish-your-elbow-pain-you-dont-really-play-golf-or-tennis-do-you.html

Bako Lifter
07-19-2012, 09:56 AM
I wish kstar could torture me in person.

chris mason
07-19-2012, 10:16 AM
I can imagine how difficult the Olympic stuff will be to learn and be able to perform... I don't know I could do it.

rheacat
07-19-2012, 11:02 AM
AJ,
I was trying to find out more about you and unless someone else on WBB has your name it looks like you lived in Owensboro. I'm from the area and was shocked. Anymore you can tell me about your stay in Daviess County?

rheacat
07-19-2012, 01:06 PM
When I think about the kipping pull-up, the first thing that comes to mind is: it is a timed competition and speed is rewarded. Unless you can prevent it when writing the rules, which would be tricky, people are going to do it.

It appears analogous to several things in the power-lifting world. There is a pause at the bottom of the bench, I presume because people would bounce it without it. Can you imagine the bounces (kips) that would occur if that standard were removed.

Whenever I see a powerlifting video I ask "why in the world do they stand with such a ridiculously wide stance on squats?" I assume it is so the bar doesn't have to travel as far, and not because there is some anatomical consideration that makes this a superior form of squatting. Same with bench shirts and other gear. To those of us on the outside it looks like a kip...something you do solely because it gives you an advantage within the sport.

On kipping and setting the standards...I know Rippetoe has said in the past the the overhead press was banished because people were leaning back, turning it into basically a standing bench press (kipping) and it was to hard to rewrite the standard in an enforceable way, so they just jettisoned the lift altogether.

If anything I have said is incorrect because I am ignorant of the real reasons powerlifters do things correct my errors and forgive me. This is just how I think of the kip relative to things within powerlifting.

AJ Roberts
07-19-2012, 03:15 PM
I lived there back in 2008 for a brief period of 11 months. I ran the personal training at Anytime Fitness off highway 54

AJ Roberts
07-20-2012, 11:05 AM
Today was a "deload" day so no gym workout.

I did run some hills (8) with my dogs. They absolutely loved it, wish I could say the same :-)

Samppa
07-20-2012, 11:56 AM
A tip for hill sprints: try them as high resistance intervals. Since you have a high bodyweight this makes it more effective. Do 5-10 second sprints and rest enough to bring heart rate to below 130. Can go up to 10 sets a couple of times a week.

This should have the effect of actually increasing the aerobic capabilities of your fast twitch fibers, which normally are primed for anaerobic work. Avoid getting your heart rate over your anaerobic treshold, so that the work is high intensity but aerobic! More than 10 second sprints with high resistance will start accumulating lactic acid which defeats the purpose of high resistance intervals for aerobic efficient power output. I believe the effect on a cellular level is increased mitochondria in the fast twitch fibers, but I might remember wrong. This should be helpful since your fast twitch fibers are pretty large.

AJ Roberts
07-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Body is complete shot from all the training this week. On a scale from 1-10 (1 being the least) I'd say I'm at about 7 for soreness. But I don't have time to rest and honestly it really doesn't matter whether I'm in a fatigued state as it's more about doing the work, putting the time in, and teaching my body to perform when it doesn't want to. That being said when I rolled into the gym and saw what was on the board for me, I knew today was going to be a gut check.

1) Mobility Warm Up

2) Power Cleans - work up to max

135x5
185x3 x2
205x3
225x3
245x2
265x2
275x1
295x0x0x0x0
245x2x2

This was pathetic. I hit 275 in high school weighing a whooping 190lbs. I shouldn't have taken a 20lb jump but I had in my head to work up to at least 315 so this caught me off guard. Just couldn't get my body under the bar and allowed that to get to me mentally.

EMOTM - 10 mins

Power Clean 195lbs x 3

Technique seemed to get better as I went along thanks to all the feedback I was getting between rounds. Still a long long way to go but it started to click some towards the last few rounds.

Rest 10 mins

WOD
Overhead Press x30 w/135lbs(anyway you can)
Wall balls x60 w/20lb ball

Time: 5:41

Matt Lodin did this with me and crushed it in under 3 mins. Dude's a machine.

Rest 5 mins

Tabata

Airdyne bike - 7 minuts (30 on 30 off)

chris mason
07-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Are you able to rack the barbell properly on your shoulders yet AJ?

Bako Lifter
07-20-2012, 06:58 PM
That's a pretty solid time for the wod.

Shawn Bellon
07-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Did cleans today as well. Same struggles. Just a big ugly upright row. I looked awkward.

Big_Byrd52
07-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Today was one of those days were everything hurt. Luckily, my massage girl could squeeze me in and so I got a little work done to flush out some soreness before I had to hit the gym.

In the gym we focused a lot on technique and didn't worry about the weight, so if everything seems light, that's because it was.

1) Mobility Work

This was brutally painful today and came straight from Kelly Starett. Basically, we took a Rouge VooDoo Floss Band and wrapped it around the top of my arm as tight as possible, then forced my arm into flexion and extension before hanging on the pull-up bar. Hurt like a bitch but gave me at least a inch of extra arm length allowing me to get into the front squat position.

2) Split Jerk - 5x3 w/95lbs

Technique, technique, technique. Learning to move my body fast under the bar vs moving the bar fast away from the body is going to take some time, but things started to click towards the end.

3) Front Squats - 5x3 w/135lbs

Don't really remember how many sets we did as again we were just working on technique. Keeping elbows up and getting my body into the bottom position. Frustrating as the weight feels so light yet I struggle with the catch position and balancing so the concentric phase is terrible. At least standing up is easy.

4a) Romain Deadlifts - 3x8 w/225lbs
4b) Goodmornings - 3x8 w/95lbs

Superset with no rest between them. Hamstrings were fried.

Conditioning Test - 5mins

Row 500m then complete as many Thrusters w/95lbs as possible. I finished with 20.

This was done to give us some base numbers for my current fitness level. I will do a few more tests next week as well. Plan is to come back to these every now and then to track progress.

Please share the tacking band thing. I need that too

AJ Roberts
07-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Please share the tacking band thing. I need that too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dgbCDtqdlI

AJ Roberts
07-22-2012, 05:36 PM
1) Mobility work

2) Snatch - up to 205

3) Close stance high bar back squats - 3x5 w/405lbs

4) Standing Military Press - 3x5 w/135lbs

Metcon - 10 rounds
Pullups x5
Pushup x10
Air Squats x15

chris mason
07-22-2012, 06:15 PM
AJ, question about that video, is the "fix" temporary, or does it have lasting effects?

Shawn Bellon
07-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks for posting video!

AJ Roberts
07-22-2012, 08:31 PM
AJ, question about that video, is the "fix" temporary, or does it have lasting effects?

It's kinda like getting adjusted at the Chiro, it's a short temporary fix that when used over time becomes a long term solution.

AJ Roberts
07-23-2012, 11:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9VltFMRao4&feature=g-all-u

JustinM
07-23-2012, 01:47 PM
This will be very interesting to watch. Good luck in this transition.

Making it through the Open with only about 7 months of crossfit training will be very difficult. You will be so much stronger than the strongest competitors, but you will likely be moving such light weights that there is minimal difference.

Nobody in CF will tell you this, but Joel Jamison has convinced me that a lot of 60-90m low impact cardio would be extremely beneficial to CF if implemented with some other stuff. I think that this is even more true for very strong guys.

I just got back from La Jolla and San Diego. You live in, possibly, the nicest place in the world.

Good luck.

AJ Roberts
07-23-2012, 07:40 PM
1) Mobility work

2) 3 Position Snatch (full, below knee, hang)
95 x 3 sets
135 x 3 sets
155 x 2 sets

Really focused on foot position today and also bar path. I'm starting to be able to feel the movement and my body is being to understand how it needs to move.

EMOTM - 10 mins

Snatch - 135x3

Took my time with each rep and kept the focus on technique vs banging out reps as quick as possible. As fatigue set in I started using low back to lift the bar vs my legs so had to really concentrate on keeping the head and chest up and driving the floor away from me.

WOD - 5 Rounds (10 min cap)

Bar facing burpee x8
Deadlifts w/225lbs x8
Toes To Bar x8

Managed exactly 4 rounds in 10 minutes and then lay on the gym floor for 15mins flapping like a whale while I caught my breath. Funny enough the deadlifts were the easy part.

chris mason
07-23-2012, 08:37 PM
It's kinda like getting adjusted at the Chiro, it's a short temporary fix that when used over time becomes a long term solution.

Got it, thanks.

DoUgL@S
07-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Keep up the good work. It is interesting to see the journey from this perspective. Thank you for sharing.

Shawn Bellon
07-24-2012, 09:46 PM
Keep it up man! Thanks for the videos. I will make my transitions as well with form. Still cant snatch at all.

AJ Roberts
07-26-2012, 12:18 AM
1) Mobility

2) Clean & Jerk (using split stance) - up to 3 rep max in 1 minute

Hit 215x3 then went to 235x2 and missed the third rep on the clean portion. What's funny about this is that the Jerk was actually the easiest part. My catch postion is so bad that this is my limiting factor.

AMRAP - 10 mins

Clean & Press (anyway you can)
135x10
165x10
185x10
205 x max reps.

I got through the 10's and hit 6 reps with 205.

Tabata - 10 minutes

Row - 30 on 30 off

Actual distance (no lag) 1452m averaging 38 strokes & 1:43 pace

I finished stronger than I started but hit a wall in the middle that really skewed the numbers.

AJ Roberts
07-26-2012, 12:33 AM
1) Mobility

2) Overhead Squat

Talked with Kelly Starrett today about my complete lack of ability to overhead squat. He gave me a few pointers and explained that it was not my shoulder flexibility that was the issue. He gave me two BIG pointers.

1. Get a paid of Olympic Shoes
2. Focus on driving my knees out as hard as I can.

When I got to the gym I was telling Anders and so he figured why not have me overhead squat. As the shoes are going to take a few days to arrive we elevated my heels with a mat and went from there. It was night and day and I was able to full squat with a bar overhead. Last week I couldn't even break my hips without moving so I'll take this as a 45lb pr, lol.

Hopefully, I can convince Kelly to host a seminar here at CFPB.

3) Front Squat

AMRAP - 20 Minutes

200m Sprint
20 Lateral Hops over bar
10 Burpess

Managed 6 rounds. Running kills me and honestly i'm not sure the pace I was going would even classify as a jogging. This was the first time I've moved at this pace for 20 minutes straight without rest and it was brutal.

Tomorrow is rest day, which means do something other than a gym workout. So, I'll be heading down to the SD Convention Center and running stairs. I think there's like a bazillion or something.

rheacat
07-26-2012, 07:35 AM
It is very interesting to see your humility as you place yourself under the direction of other trainers. I wonder if there is any chance you will return the favor and put some of your Crossfit mentors/trainers through some seriously brutal powerlifting workouts?

ncsuLuke
07-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Man, that makes me feel better because I can't overhead squat worth a damn either but my back and front squat are decent (in the crossfit world, not powerlifting). I also saw a huge improvement with lifting shoes, absolute night and day.

Great
07-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Best log ever!

Thanks, AJ.

marcorock
07-28-2012, 07:44 AM
How was the Convention centre stair-climbing? There are friggin' 1000s of stairs, in that place!

AJ Roberts
07-29-2012, 11:36 PM
It is very interesting to see your humility as you place yourself under the direction of other trainers. I wonder if there is any chance you will return the favor and put some of your Crossfit mentors/trainers through some seriously brutal powerlifting workouts?

It's only a matter of time before I turn the tables on them :-)

AJ Roberts
07-29-2012, 11:37 PM
How was the Convention centre stair-climbing? There are friggin' 1000s of stairs, in that place!

Managed 5 rounds sprinting up, walking down.

AJ Roberts
07-30-2012, 12:03 AM
Got a little behind with the log due to helping out Mark Bell and Jesse Burdick with the Crossfit Powerlifting Certification here in SD this weekend. This is the first time seeing these two teach this and I must say they do a dang fine job and really represent Louie and the Westside Conjugate System well.

Back to training though.

Friday I wasn't able to make it into the gym at my normal time so I hit up the 5:30pm class. This was my first time attending a class session which was a little different but fun.

1) 400m Jog

Anytime the workout starts with running I know it's going to be long day in the gym. Although I'm down to just shy of 40lbs I'm still at least 60lbs over where I need to be. I'm heavy on my feet and anything but walking on the concrete flat out sucks as my shins get blown up and my low back gets a really nice pump going.

2a) Kettlebell Swings
2b) Walking lunges
2c) Jump rope

Can't remember the rep ranges here but we did about 3 rounds

3) Mobility Drills

4) Pause Snatch - 150lbs 4x2

Worked on feeling the position of the snatch from mid shin. Focused on staying on the balls of the feet, and using my legs to lift not back.

5a) Goodmoring - 95lbs 3x8
5b) RDL - 225lbs - 3x8

Superset no rest all three sets.

WOD - For Time
Deadlifts - 20-15-10-5 w/ 185lbs
Double Unders - 40-30-20-10

Immediately upon completion – 30 KB Swings w/53lbs

9:57 seconds

I only did the first round of double unders then went singles as instructed. It took me about 5 mins to complete that 40 as I just couldn't string them together. I ended up getting most of them going single, double, single, double then I'd maybe get 1 more before screwing up. As soon as I get these down i'll cut this workout in half at least.

Rest 7 minuts

Tabata

Airdyne bike - 7 minuts (30 on 30 off)

I had no legs for this and had to really use my arms to move. Shoulders were blown up by the end and it felt like my lungs would collapse. Fun stuff!

GeovanniGonzalz
07-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Keep at it!

AJ Roberts
07-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Another day another brutal workout

1) Mobility work

2) Hang Squat Clean - up to 225x3

First time doing these and I actually wasn't that bad at them. Surprisingly, my catch position has improved and this didn't feel as awkward as I thought it would.

3) High Bar Close Stance Back Squat

Worked up to 365x3 then dropped to 275x20 and then went straight to 20 pullovers with a KB.

WOD - 5 Rounds (12 min cap)

7 Power Cleans w/185
7 Burpee Box Jumps

Time: 11:09

Surprised myself by finishing these but managed to keep a decent pace and push through when things got tough.

AJ Roberts
08-01-2012, 12:05 AM
1) Mobility

Added in this today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMLafrHPIPA

It's as painful as it looks.

2) Full Snatch

95 3x3
105 3x3
115 2x3
105 2x3

After figuring out I could overhead squat last week the guys thought it would be a good idea today to make me full snatch. Each rep I learned something new and tweaked my technique as we went along.

3) Overhead Squat

105 2x2
115 3x2

Continued to work the overhead position and discovered that when I fully lockout the weight I cease up about half way down. With relaxed shoulders I can cheat the reps and get full depth but obviously as the plan isn't to use weight a teenage girl can lift forever, this isn't something I want to get in the habit of.

AMRAP 5 Min:
5 Power Snatch – 135
10 Burpees (lateral jump)

Score - 45

Rest 2 Min

AMRAP 5 Min:
5 Push Press – 135
10 TTB

Score - 50

Rest 2 Min

AMRAP 5 Min:
5 KB Snatch (5 per arm) – 53
10 HR Push-Ups

Score - 75

Total - 170

What's worse than doing an AMARAP? Doing 3 back to back with only 2 minutes to recover between them. By the end I was a complete mess but I kept going as I know I'm building the foundation here and have to put in the work in order to reach my goal.

Bako Lifter
08-01-2012, 12:12 AM
I think it'd be interesting to see a 250 lb powerlifter do toes to bar haha. Nice work, I think built in rest periods just make amraps harder.

AJ Roberts
08-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Weird day today, felt totally off and just not myself. Bryan gave me the option of taking today off and then picking back up tomorrow but honestly the gym was the only place I wanted to be.

1) Mobility

Took some extra time here as my body was tight and as the first exercise was front squat I wanted to make sure I'd be able to do it right.

2) Front Squat - Worked up to 365lbs x1

Plan was to find a max today, last week I only managed to hit 245x2 before I wasn't able to keep my elbows up. Big difference this week and felt very comfortable under the bar.

EMOTM - 10 mins

Power clean - 225x3

WOD

6-5-4-3-2-1 Box Jumps (34")
18-15-12-9-6-3 Pull-ups

Time: 10:27

Big_Byrd52
08-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Weird day today, felt totally off and just not myself. Bryan gave me the option of taking today off and then picking back up tomorrow but honestly the gym was the only place I wanted to be.

1) Mobility

Took some extra time here as my body was tight and as the first exercise was front squat I wanted to make sure I'd be able to do it right.

2) Front Squat - Worked up to 365lbs x1

Plan was to find a max today, last week I only managed to hit 245x2 before I wasn't able to keep my elbows up. Big difference this week and felt very comfortable under the bar.

EMOTM - 10 mins

Power clean - 225x3

WOD

6-5-4-3-2-1 Box Jumps (34")
18-15-12-9-6-3 Pull-ups

Time: 10:27

front squat in the rack position? huge progress if yes. i cant seem to make any headway toward improving it

AJ Roberts
08-03-2012, 07:05 PM
front squat in the rack position? huge progress if yes. i cant seem to make any headway toward improving it

Yup rack position. I've been mashing my tri's & lats as well as doing mob work non stop. If you're not doing the stuff KStar has up on MobilityWOD.com start NOW. 2 Weeks you'll be a different person.

AJ Roberts
08-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Despite taking Thursday off my body still wasn't fully recovered. Wrists and forearms were pretty beat up so we programed around that.

1) Mobility work

Added another new stretch in today. Made a huge difference and is one i'll be adding into the daily routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA2DWnAMWdo

2) High bar close stance back squat w/ Pause at the bottom
135x3
185x3
225x3
275x3
315x3
365x3
405x3

AMRAP - 3 Minutes
Back Squat - 135

Reps - 55

AMRAP - 10 Minutes
5 Shoulder to Overhead - 155
7 Ring Dips
9 Air Squats

6 Rounds + 6 Reps

50 Burpees - 6:19

AJ Roberts
08-05-2012, 10:02 PM
My girlfriend Gracie's sister Erin is in town visiting and joined me at the box. She is new to the sport like me and trains out of Crossfit Closer up in Canada.

Here's a little video of our workout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IhCef0qr8g

This is what we did

1) Mobility

2) Power Snatch - Work up 3 rep max in 1 minute

Managed to hit 195 which isn't bad considering my best 1 rep right now is 205.

EMOM - 7 minutes
Power Snatch 155

WOD - 21, 15, 9
KB Swings - 73lbs
Double Unders

1 Minute rest

2000m Row

Tim K
08-06-2012, 05:49 AM
Erin kills the double unders!

Dave M.
08-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Hey AJ!

Heard about this on the CF message boards from Chris Mason. Very cool! I'll definitely continue keeping an eye on things here.

Looked like a solid workout the other day. Hopefully the O-lifting is coming along. We're all expecting some damn beastly lifts once you really nail your technique and flexibility.

I'm curious about that last workouts 2000 m row. What was your time? I'd think a big guy like you could generate a lot of power and do pretty well.

AJ Roberts
08-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Bryan designed today to be a active recovery so no main movements just the WOD.

AMRAP - 20 Minutes
T2B - 10
Burpees - 15
KB Swings - 20
Wall Balls - 25
Airdyne bike - 100 Strokes

Score - 2 rounds 107 reps

Burpees destroyed me from the get go and then on round 3 I tried to push myself then went right into the swings unbroken but when I hit the wall balls I was so delusion that I got smacked upside the head a few times. Still a long way to go.

Patz
08-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Good job. That WOD is a heavy breather for sure.

AJ Roberts
08-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Been a crazy few days with work and haven't had much time to update the blog. Gracie made some killer videos though. Instead of me trying to remember everything I'm just going to post those up and I'll get back to posting like normal Monday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCW17aTOs08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOE0RZEo8XA

Yamar
08-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Sounds like you got much more of a plan than me Sam, but then again you've always had you diet pretty much dialed in.

For me it's pretty simple right now..

Breakfast - Eggs & Bacon/Sausage
Mid Morning - Protein Shake
Lunch - Red Meat + Green Veggies
Mid Afternoon - Pre-Workout Shake
After workout - Protein Shake
Dinner - Red Meat + Veggies
Before Bed - Protein Shake

I do this for 6 days then on 7th last two meals are + carbs

I was sticking to White meat but with this plan I need to keep fats high so red meat + fish oil is what I was told to do.

I'll probably do this for a few more weeks and then look at changing things up to "shock" the body again.

You mind me asking:

Do you include dairy or fruit in your diet?

chris mason
08-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Been a crazy few days with work and haven't had much time to update the blog. Gracie made some killer videos though. Instead of me trying to remember everything I'm just going to post those up and I'll get back to posting like normal Monday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCW17aTOs08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOE0RZEo8XA

Nice video. Does Lipson live around there?

On a related note, I met the gal that owns the box you train at in Montana. Brunette, but her name escapes me. Seemed like a nice gal.

AJ Roberts
08-14-2012, 08:46 PM
You mind me asking:

Do you include dairy or fruit in your diet?

Pretty much no dairy but I do include fruit. I'm working with the guys from http://www.paleodietinabox.com/ if you're interested in what I'm following.

AJ Roberts
08-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Nice video. Does Lipson live around there?

He lives about 20mins from me.

On a related note, I met the gal that owns the box you train at in Montana. Brunette, but her name escapes me. Seemed like a nice gal.

Yea Erica said she ran into you at the Tour. Sounds like it was a blast.

AJ Roberts
08-14-2012, 09:02 PM
1) Mobility, Flossing & Dynamic Warmup.

2) Full Squat Clean

95x10
115x8
135x6
155x4
185x2

I think this is correct I know the weight is but I'm not sure about the sets. We're moving away from working with a lot of heavy weights and focusing for a while of form as well as conditioning. My joints has been taking a beating over the last month and the last thing the guys want is for me to get a injury.

EMOTM - 10 mins

Full Squat Clean - 155x3

WOD

3 rounds – 1 min at each station:

Front squats – 95lb
Push-Ups
Alt Lunges

Rest - 1min

Score is TOTAL Reps = 189

This destroyed me. Legs were shaking so fearsly took a good 30 minutes to get up off the floor once we were done.

AJ Roberts
08-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Legs were a little stiff today from all the squatting yesterday but nothing some aggressive mobility work couldn't fix.

1) Mobility

On top of my normal ensemble I throw in these as well today which really helped lossen up the hips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5c-WMwGEqU&feature=plcp

2) Power Snatch

95x10
115x8
135x6 x2
155x4 x4

3) Overhead Squats

bar x5 x4sets

I can squat about half way down with good technique but to do a full squat I have to relaxing my shoulders which isn't optimal especially if I was lifting heavy weight. Instead of working up in weight with bad technique I just went through the range of motion each time trying to keep my torso more upright and shoulders locked in. I've got several drills to help me with this so hopefully it comes together over the next month.

WOD

5 Rounds:

5 Power Snatch – 115
7 Burpees over bar
5 Ring Dips

Rest 2 Min

Row 100M

Score is TOTAL TIME including Rest = 19:55

I set out thinking I was doing 7 rounds and at 4 Brian said is that it to which I replied I was at 4. He goes 1 more and it was the best news EVER. Seriously, I didn't think I was going to make it. Burpees just ruin everything!

chris mason
08-14-2012, 10:16 PM
He lives about 20mins from me.

Yea Erica said she ran into you at the Tour. Sounds like it was a blast.

It really was! I totally enjoyed it.

AJ Roberts
08-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Worked out with the 5:30pm class today and did the gym WOD. It was my first partner workout and I loved it. Having someone else counting on you to really pushes you beyond what you'd push yourself.

I was partnered up with Aaron who's a pretty high level Crossfitter. Here's what we had to do.

Row 1600m
150 Burpees
150 Kettle Bell Swings (53lb)
Row 1600m

We broke the row up into alternating 400m and then the burpees and swings into 10's. We split everything even going back and forth except for the burpees where Aaron picked up an extra 30 (doing 3 sets of 20) as I was starting to really struggle. The extra rest gave me enough time to recover and keep moving.

Looking back at the workout we should have split the swings into 20's as these were pretty easy for both of us. This is where we could have picked up some time. I forgot to look at our overal time, I think it was around 23 minutes.

Also Gracie put together another awesome highlight video from last week. Check out my clean technique around the 1:44 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBHeA3gzml4

chris mason
08-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Nice AJ! I can see the improvements.

AJ Roberts
08-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Took a trip over to Crossfit Fortius (http://crossfitfortius.com/) to get some feed back from Olympic Lifting coach David Miller.

Clean - 5x3 ~80%

2 Front Squat + 2 Jerk x4

Pause Front Squats - 3x3

I'm starting to get the movements down but I still struggle in moving my body fast vs just trying to move the barbell fast. I'm able to hit the positions I need to but my timing is off and things still look a little awkward. Got lots of great feedback and will continue to try and dial this all in.

EMOM - 20 minutes
Kettlebell Swings - 53lb
Kipping Pullups - 5

AJ Roberts
08-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Spent the morning at Crossfit SoCal (https://www.facebook.com/crossfitsocal) and put on a mini seminar for several of their members. I had a blast teaching as always and really enjoyed working with everyone. Hopefully, I can start doing things like this more often again.

I headed over to Crossfit PB (https://www.facebook.com/crossfitpb) after to hit my workout, body is a little beat down from the week but after spending a little extra time on mobility I was good to go. Here's what Anders had me do.

Snatch - 5x3 @175lb

EMOM - 10 minutes

Snatch x 3 - 135lbs

Tabata Intervals - 8 minutes

Airdyne bike - 1 minute on
Rest - 1 minute

Patz
08-19-2012, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure if people realize how tough 1 minute intervals are on the bike. They're AWFUL.

good work. You're really getting a good variety of stuff.

DoUgL@S
08-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Nice work AJ. Thanks for sharing your journey.

AJ Roberts
08-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Headed to the gym early today to do an interview for the
http://journal.crossfit.com/. We covered some good topics so hopefully that makes for a good article.

After that it was time to do work. Here's what went down.

1) Hang Snatch
95x5x2
115x5x2
135x5x2
155x5x1
165x5x1
155x5x3

2) Push Press
155x3x3

Was suppose to squat here but my knee was bothering me. I tweaked it a week or so back in when I got wiped out by a wave in the ocean and it's been hit or miss since. Today was a bad day for it so we opted to switch things up.

Since I couldn't squat it meant I couldn't do Fran which was what was planned. Instead we decided to re-test Grace.

Grace

30 Clean and Jerk

Time 2:48 (1 minute 19second PR)

Rest 5 minutes

50 Burpees

AJ Roberts
08-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Quick catch up before I head out to Ohio for the weekend. Going back to help the Westside guys at the Pro/Am.

Tuesday, Aug 21st, 2012

Clean & Jerk
3 Position clean + 1 jerk (split) - Worked up to 185x 3 sets

Deadlift
135x3
225x3
315x3
405x3x3

With the bumper plates this is all that will fit on the bar. :D

AMRAP - 5 minutes
10 Kettle Bell Swings (53)
10 Ring Dips

4 rounds + 12 reps

Rest 2 min

AMRAP - 5 minutes
10 Goblet Squats (53)
10 Burpees

3 Rounds

Rest 2 min

AMRAP - 5 minutes
10 Alt Lunges
10 Hand Release Pushups

6 rounds + 8 reps

Total = 280

Wednesday, Aug 22nd, 2012

Power Snatch
3x5 @165

This is what was programmed but I was cheating the technique so we lowered the weight to 145 and added a pause below the knee.

AMRAP - 7 minutes
10 KB Swings @93lbs

Rest 5 minutes

WOD - 5 Rounds
Airdyne bike - 50 strokes
Farmers Walks - 100m w/100lb dumbbells

GrantM
08-23-2012, 06:54 PM
If you have the dedication and motivation to become one of the strongest people to ever walk water delivery san francisco (http://waterable.com/california/san%20francisco-ca) our planet, I don't see a problem with you attaining your next goal. Good fortune to you sir and thanks for coming to WBB!

couldn't agree more! reach for the stars and you just might end up touching them :)

AJ Roberts
09-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Got super behind on the log again due to work. Been training with the classes at PB North and have been enjoying the competition between the other athletes. I still get my ass handed to me but I feel like I'm making huge progress week by week.

Instead of trying to remember everything I did since my last update if you want to check out the workouts I've been doing head over to http://www.pbcrossfit.com/

Here's a video from my Monday workout with Ryan Fisher. Dudes a badass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gdTcOK2I3k

I think i'm going to start shooting little video recaps after I've hit my WOD's as it'll be easier to keep track of everything and quicker. Should help me keep this up to date.

AJ Roberts
09-09-2012, 08:36 PM
1) EMOM x 7 Min
Power Cleans – 3 Reps x 225lbs

2) Overhead squat mobility work.

3) WOD – 5 Rounds:

10 Sumo Deadlift High Pull – 115 lbs
Handstand Holds x 20 seconds

HSPUx5 was what was programed but Anders had me do holds instead. Finished in 5:53.

AJ Roberts
09-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Did about an hour or so of mobility work as my body pretty beat up and I was very sore. After this did 7 mins 30 on 30 off tabatas on the rower. Tried to keep pace below 135.

Sun, 9th, 2012

Quick body weight update: dropped below 265 this morning. Was a little worried as my weight had been stagnant this past week, probably due to stress at work with deadlines, but all seems to be back on track.

Patz
09-11-2012, 03:47 AM
Goods work in here. I like how they're throwing a lot of variation in there but not just giving you big weights to move just because you CAN move them.

Are you still doing plain ole strength sessions?

AJ Roberts
09-13-2012, 12:35 AM
Goods work in here. I like how they're throwing a lot of variation in there but not just giving you big weights to move just because you CAN move them.

Are you still doing plain ole strength sessions?

I don't do anything outside of what is prescribed at the moment for strength as it isn't an area I need extra focus on.

AJ Roberts
09-13-2012, 01:18 AM
Monday, September 9th, 2012

Snatch – 155 x 2, 175 x 2, 185 x 1
Back Squats – 1 x 10 w/225

Knee still isn't 100% so didn't push the weight on these.

WOD:

12-9-6 – Thrusters – 135
24-18-12 – TTB

Wednesday, September 12th, 2012

Was sick yesterday with a stomach bug and not fully recovered but I hate missing workouts and wasn't going to go 2 days in a row without making it in.

3-position Squat Clean –

Worked up to 235 for 2 sets. Was suppose to hit 3 but it all fell apart at this point. I was getting my elbows through and keep loosing my grip on the squat. Bryan had me back off the weight to 185 but it didn't make a difference. Frustrated and out of time I had to move on.

WOD – AMRAP 10 Min:

4 Hang Squat Cleans – 185
8 Burpees (over bar)
24 Double-Unders

2 Rounds 21 reps

I failed miserably at this WOD. I was actually embarrassed at my performance and sat there wondering what the heck just happened. Screw being sick as an excuse, I was making small errors on everything I did. Things that I've been shown how to do correctly and was screwing up. I decided to punish myself by rowing.

Row - 100kcals. (1kcal a stroke)

Luckily, I couldn't sit around feeling sorry for myself as Gracie and I had dinner plans with former UFC TUF competitor Luke Zachrich and his wife who were in-town for a BJJ tournament.

We talked a lot about conditioning and Luke really emphasized how a lot of it is having the mental control to stay calm and relaxed even when your in a state of chaos. Breathing is the key to control and it's something I need to be more aware of. He also suggested a few conditioning mini-workouts that I'm going to start throwing in 3 times a week to start.

For those who haven't heard me say this before, I view Crossfit as the MMA of fitness. Much of the training principles a fighter must go through for MMA are the same as a Crossfit athlete. (Minus the whole getting punched in the face deal, although I've took a few barbells to the face in my time). There's a lot that each can share with one another and I'm glad I am lucky enough to get that opportunity. Who know's maybe someday I'll have the ultimate gym that has everything under one roof. Now there's a thought.

AJ Roberts
09-13-2012, 10:03 PM
WOD

Run 800M

Reps 40-30-20-10:
KBS – 53/35
Box Jumps – 24/20

Run 800M

Nothing good to say about this workout, it was horrid. Bryan did the WOD with me and finished in like 14mins, I finished in like 20minutes something. It would probably have been longer but he ran my 800 with me and pushed me the whole time. It wasn't pretty but I knew before we started it was one of those workouts I just had to survive.

After I recovered I started playing around on the Rings. I was doing some L-sit pull ups when one of the guys said "you probably are strong enough to just go into a muscle up". I haven't tried doing muscle ups since like the first time I worked out in a Crossfit gym, but I figured what the heck I'd give it a shot. Anders got PUMPED and after trying and failing again and again the stars finally aligned and I hit my first ever muscle up.

Here's the video...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100744289928889

chris mason
09-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Good job! You might be the heaviest man to ever do a MU... :)

JustinM
09-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Pretty impressive on that muscle up. Keep up all the hard work.

Ben Norris
09-19-2012, 06:13 PM
A 265 pound man doing muscle ups! That is freaking awesome. Nice work AJ!

Ben Norris
09-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Got super behind on the log again due to work. Been training with the classes at PB North and have been enjoying the competition between the other athletes. I still get my ass handed to me but I feel like I'm making huge progress week by week.

Instead of trying to remember everything I did since my last update if you want to check out the workouts I've been doing head over to http://www.pbcrossfit.com/

Here's a video from my Monday workout with Ryan Fisher. Dudes a badass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gdTcOK2I3k

I think i'm going to start shooting little video recaps after I've hit my WOD's as it'll be easier to keep track of everything and quicker. Should help me keep this up to date.

Also what is the name of this song?

AJ Roberts
09-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Also what is the name of this song?

Not sure the name of the song but it's Makaveli Ft. Eminem, 50 Cent and T-Pain

AJ Roberts
09-21-2012, 10:16 PM
This weeks workouts

Monday

Snatch – 78% x 2, 83% x 2, 88% x 1

EMOM x 5 Min
Burpees x10

WOD – AMRAP 8 Min:

3 Rounds:
20 H.R. Push-Ups
40 Skater Plyos

Max Muscle-Ups (Jumping) in remaining time left

Score is TOTAL Muscle-Ups = 11

Tuesday

Run 200M x 5

Rest approx 5 Min

WOD – 3 Rounds For Time:

30 Front Squats – 95lbs
20 TTB
10 Ring Dips

After completing 3 rounds, Rest 1 Min:

100 Double-Unders

This workout destroyed me. I wanted to quit no less than 4 times. Had to modify double unders, did 25 then 150 singles.

Wednesday

3-Position Snatch – 75% x 3 sets

Muscle ups - x5

Max Box Jump - 45.5

Thursday

For Time:

10 Chest to bar pull-ups
20 Knees to Elbows
30 Ring Dips
40 Goblet Squats – 70
50 KBS – 70
60 Abmat Sit-Ups
70 Burpees

Friday - Rest / Massage

Body needed a break. Will be back at it tomorrow.

New training video coming soon...

chris mason
09-21-2012, 11:40 PM
Saw on FB you are getting those MUs!

Patz
09-22-2012, 05:04 AM
Ooh..that Thursday WOD looks tough!

AJ Roberts
09-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Ooh..that Thursday WOD looks tough!

Took me just over 20 mins to complete. I really need to write down my times for things like this so I can track my progress better. Always forget.

AJ Roberts
09-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Here's video from some of this week. MU's and Box jump included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-448V6xwDQ

AJ Roberts
09-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Sat, Sept 22nd

Short on time today as I had a wedding to attend so got in and got out.

AMRAP - 7 mins

5 Deadlifts – 315
10 Pull-Ups

5 + 10

Mon, Sept 24th

Snatch - up to 205x1

High bar close stance back squat - 405x5

WOD - 30, 20 ,10

Overhead Squats - training bar
Kettlebell Swings - 53

I have zero over head squat game but instead of switching it out for back squats or front squats we decided it would be better for me to force myself through the range of motion with the training bar than to skip. Surprising I was able to do all reps unbroken and finished in 5 mins flat.

AJ Roberts
09-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Tues, September 25th, 2012

Got to do a WOD demo for Crossfit main-site today. It was one that appeared at last years regionals but in reverse.

30 Hang Cleans w/225lbs
50 Pistols (alt leg each rep)
2000m row

Time: 18:14

Only modification I had to do was on the Pistols where I held onto a pole. Haven't quite got the flexibility/balance down on that movement so we scaled it for me.

Wed, September 26th, 2012

3-position Squat Clean – Worked up to 245x1 (10lb pr)
Hang Power Cleans – 3 x 5 w/135

Worked on keeping hook grip, and linking reps together.

WOD:

30 Hang Power Cleans – 135 lbs
30 H.R. Push-Ups
30 Pull-Ups

Time: 3:49

chris mason
09-29-2012, 06:27 PM
30 hang cleans with 225 lbs is a bitch!

Tom Mutaffis
09-30-2012, 08:36 AM
That Tuesday workout looked brutal... high rep hang cleans, pistol squats, and rower is a tough combo.

DoUgL@S
10-01-2012, 03:52 PM
As always your improvement on every update is very impressive. I would really like to see a video of that workout if you happened to record it. 30 hang cleans with 225 for time sounds very brutal, not to mention the other work you did.

AJ Roberts
10-05-2012, 10:32 PM
As always your improvement on every update is very impressive. I would really like to see a video of that workout if you happened to record it. 30 hang cleans with 225 for time sounds very brutal, not to mention the other work you did.

It should be on mainsite soon. They recorded it as a WOD demo.

AJ Roberts
10-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Been away for the last week. Was in Vegas for the Olympia with Grace. She competed in the USPA Deadlift challenge and took home the Gold with a huge 385lb deadlift. Took at shot at 402 but it got a little out in front. She has the strength just need to tweak a few things with her technique. Super proud of her.

After the Olympia we stayed in town for a few days on business, then I flew out to Austin, Tx for another business event. Got to eat dinner with billionaire businessman and philanthropist Jean Paul Dejoria and then the next night dress up in 80's gear and watch the Spazmatics.

I actually didn't take any dress clothes with me or a costume so I had to hit the mall to pick up a shirt and a outfit. Turns out I now fit into XL shirts & t-shirts. Not sure where my weight is as I decided to give myself a mental break from the digits for a week or so. I'll weigh in Monday morning but I'm pretty sure I've dropped under 260 now.

Now that I'm back in SD that means i'm back at the box and what a workout to come back to.

Here's what went down...

EMOM - 7 minutes
Front Squats – 225x5

This was actually programed as 5x5 working up each set but as my conditioning still needs a lot of work I decided to do EMOM while everyone else worked up. Struggled with keeping my elbows up today and this made every rep that much harder. I wasn't recovering either and the last few rounds were pretty close to max.

RDL – 3 x 8 w/185

Used a snatch grip and really focused on stretching the hamstrings. These puppies are still tight as a duck's arse and need some serious work. Going to start hitting them multiple times a day.

WOD
Reps 25-20-15-10-5

Deadlifts – 185
OH Lunges – 45

Time: 8:08

The fastest this workout had been done so far for the day was just over 6 minutes. I had the genius idea that this was the day that I just went for it balls out from the get go. No pacing, no being a puss and breaking up the sets. Just all out effort. Things started really good, I blasted through the 25 and 20 round, then smashed 15 deadlifts before it took a turn for the worst. As soon as I picked up the plate for lunges I knew I was in trouble, I glanced at the clock and it was just under 4 minutes. I figured I'd just nut up and push through the pain that was beginning to set in, instead of resting like I normally would have. I took 5 steps and collapsed. My legs felt completely shot and started to cease up on me. I tried to regroup and go after five quick breaths but collapsed again on the 1st step. This time I took ten deep breaths then squeeze out another 4 lunges only to collapse on the 5th rep. I dragged myself back to my feet and just stood there shaking out my legs and trying to catch my breath. Finally, I felt like I was good to go and cranked out the last 6 reps. My body was numb for the last two rounds and as soon as I finished I fell to the ground and remained there for a good 20mins.

Tomorrow I'll be back to do it all again :rolleyes:

Patz
10-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Nice effort. That's a pretty fast time for a WOD like that. I HATE OH Lunge with a 45lb plate more than ANYTHING we do. So very much..

AJ Roberts
10-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Nice effort. That's a pretty fast time for a WOD like that. I HATE OH Lunge with a 45lb plate more than ANYTHING we do. So very much..

So here's the deal those lunges wiped me out for 3 days straight. Even on Monday I wasn't fully recovered. The prescription from Coach Boorstein...more lunges.

AJ Roberts
10-11-2012, 10:24 PM
I keep getting behing on this here log. I'm not sure how many people read this thing but I always feel bad when I sit down and realize I'm days behind. Hopefully, it's just the 3 people I know cause then it really don't matter. Anways here's what I've done this week so far...

Monday
Snatch – 95x1x3

Now this might sound like a ridiculously stupid weight for me but it's actually the first time I've ever done a full snatch. Usually I power snatch as my overhead has been non existent but after weeks of hammering away at mobility I was finally able to full squat in the overhead positon. So, technically this was a PR.

Pause Back Squats – Worked up to 405x2

WOD:

AMRAP 7 Min:

Run 800M
Max Hang Squat Cleans – 95

I suck at running and came in at like the 4 minute something mark. Managed to squeeze out 21 reps on the hang squat cleans in the remaining time.

Tuesday

“Coe” – 10 Rounds:

10 Thrusters – 95 lbs
10 Ring Push-Ups (ADV)

Finished 17:18

This was the fasted time of the day up until this point. I knew it would get broken later on as this is really a 9-10 minute WOD for the elite guys but I was pretty proud of myself especially as I went unbroken on the Ring push-ups.

Wednesday
Went over to Crossfit Fortius with Coach Boorstein and Anders. Here's what I did.

3-position Squat Clean – 185 x 3 sets
Clean Pulls (from below knee) – 3 x 5 @ 185

AMRAP 8 Min:

3 Power Cleans - 185
20 Double-Unders

4 rounds + 18 reps

Double unders killed my score on this but I'm getting better at them so at least I'm moving in the right direction.

Here's some footage from today's session. Give it a thumbs up if you dig!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqTWk6KzS0E

chris mason
10-12-2012, 10:01 PM
I think more than 3 are reading this AJ :thumbup:.

fsupower
10-13-2012, 05:03 AM
I just registered for the forum just so I could state that there DEFINITELY are more than three people reading this.

Paulo_Santos
10-13-2012, 08:40 AM
For some reason, the YouTube videos don't show up at all for me.

DoUgL@S
10-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Definitely more than 3 of us following your exploits.

For some reason, the YouTube videos don't show up at all for me.

Are you on an iDevice, or do you have a Flash blocking extension on your browser?

Paulo_Santos
10-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Definitely more than 3 of us following your exploits.

Are you on an iDevice, or do you have a Flash blocking extension on your browser?

Yes, an iPhone. I can usually see YouTube videos form other forums though.

Ben Norris
10-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Dont worry AJ there is something about OH walking lunges that nobody can explain. The sheer suck factor of them defies belief.

AJ Roberts
10-15-2012, 12:44 AM
Friday

Full Clean and Jerk – up to 265 (pr)
Full Clean - up to 295 (pr)

Super pumped about these, especially as they were performed with the correct technique and not just muscle fucked.

AMRAP 8 Min:

10 Shoulder to Overhead – 115
10 Box Jump (up and overs) – 24

5 + 18

Saturday

Didn't make it into the gym in the AM due to it being Circa Max for the San Diego Barbell crew which took up the majority of the morning. Managed to get a evening workout in though.

Row - 10 rounds - 30sec on 30sec off
Muscle Practice with band - whole bunch of reps
Jump rope - 5 rounds - 1min on 30 off

Tim K
10-15-2012, 05:56 AM
Nice PRs! You'll post vids of them up soon?

DoUgL@S
10-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Congrats on the PR AJ. The AMRAP looks enticing.

Yes, an iPhone. I can usually see YouTube videos form other forums though.
Others probably have both HTML5 and Flash.

AJ Roberts
10-17-2012, 12:12 AM
Nice PRs! You'll post vids of them up soon?

This session wasn't videoed unfortunately.

AJ Roberts
10-17-2012, 12:36 AM
Monday

My boy Leon Josaitis was in town and asked to come WOD with me. Me and Leon go way way back and haven't worked out together since his powerlifting days. He started getting into Crossfit after he saw me make the switch and is a straight gangsta. As you can probably tell I was pretty pumped to work out together.

Snatch - 185x1 (~75%)

EMOM x 10mins
Snatch - 135x3

6 Rounds:

12 KBS – 70
8 Burpees (over KB)

Time = 6:32 (I think will check tomorrow and edit as I forgot to write it down)

After the gym I took Leon to my favorite joint in town, Bareback Grill. Bryan and Anders actually turned me onto this place and it is by far the best burger joint around. Plus it's all grass fed beef so it doesn't break the diet. Had a blast talking about the 'old' days and tried my hardest to convince Leon to move here. Another buddy of ours actually just moved here like a month ago so it makes perfect sense right? Just need to convince his wifey it's a good idea.

Tuesday

I saw this workout before I headed to the box and to be honest I knew it was going to be terrible. I tweaked my left knee last week when making on the cleans and squatting with any type of weight just isn't happening right now. I wasn't sure how it would hold up for the bodyweight stuff but planned to just modify as I went if needed. I figured when I got to the end I'd just power clean to finish. However, that didn't quite happen the way I planned.

Chipper For Time:

100 Skater Plyos
90 Abmat Sit-Ups
80 Air Squats
70 Double-Unders
60 Box Jumps – 24”
50 HR Push-Ups
40 Walking Lunges
30 Pull-Ups
20 Burpees
10 Squat Cleans – 155lbs

30 MIN CUT-OFF

DNF

This is my first workout I didn't finish. What pisses me off the most is I did everything RX and had about 45 secs left when I got to the squat cleans. I figured I'd try and finish right but on the first rep knew it wasn't going to happen. Bryan said if I was going to power clean I needed to switch to 185 but the idiot I am didn't have another bar set up waiting to go. By the time I switched the weights out I was down to 10seconds and only managed 1 rep as I lost my grip on the way down.

However, something positive did come of this ass-whooping workout. The rope I usually use was already taken by another member so I was forced to use a slightly longer and lighter rope. Turns out this makes double unders a whole lot easier. Originally, I was planning on modifying this as Bryan suggested to single-doubles hitting 35 of each, but after I started I decided to go for the full 70. Interesting enough though this is always the portion of the workout that KILLED my time. I was the second person to pick up the rope but the last to get to the box. At around rep 45 my conditioning let me down and the last 30 seemed to take forever. A few months ago I couldn't do 1 rep, so although it still sucks I'll take it.

ljosaitis
10-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Ya dude, that was a blast and that restaurant is awesome. I started peeping the boxes around here and may start going at least part time. I made a list of all the cf stuff I either suck at or don't know how to do at all and am gonna put some effort in those weaknesses. I started a log here when I started training enough for it to actually matter called LEEEROYYYYYYY JENNNNKKKIINNNSSSS so I could kinda keep track of what I've been doing. I looked through the Regional workouts today and can't do half that stuff hahaha!

Iplan
10-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Dude ~ this is the most fascinating thread on WBB right now. Thanks for keeping us up to speed on your progress!

Patz
10-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Nice to see your double Unders are coming together. Some people never get them. That could have been detrimental to your quest..lol

AJ Roberts
10-18-2012, 01:26 AM
As expected I was sore as shit today but instead of taking an off day I dragged myself into the box to suffer some more.

a1) 3-Position Power Snatch – 135 x 3 sets
a2) PVC Overhead Squat x 5

b1) Snatch Pulls (below knee) – 3 x 5 @ 85%
b2) PVC Overhead Squat x 5

Still suffering with some knee pain despite flossing it a ton, so decided instead of trying to full snatch to superset PVC OH Squats to still work range of motion without the loading and do power snatches instead.

AMRAP 10 Min:

7 Power Snatch – 135
Run 100M
7 TTB
Run 100M

Score = 4 Rounds

The runs sucked and ate up a lot of my time. Most people got 5-6 rounds and I suspect the top guys were up at 8-9. I know it'll get easier when the weight comes off but honestly I'm going to have to start running more. It's something I hate which means it's a must.

On the flip side I figured out how to link TTB and went unbroken on those so another skill that's made some huge improvements.

Judas
10-18-2012, 03:56 AM
My boy Leon Josaitis was in town and asked to come WOD with me. Me and Leon go way way back and haven't worked out together since his powerlifting days. He started getting into Crossfit after he saw me make the switch and is a straight gangsta. As you can probably tell I was pretty pumped to work out together.

LEON!!!!

Hah!! We all thought you were dead. Last time (well, and first time) i saw either ov you guys was at the last Iron Gladiators meet in Spokane... 2006 i think?

This is a very interesting journal. I feel your pain, trying to go from powerlifter to a weightlifter (though not Crossfit for me). Took me years to finally undo all that bad training and horrid mobility. I'd love to get into a Crossfit-like regimen, but currently my list ov forbidden exercises would have me hacking up WODs left and right just to find something i could do. Plus... i probably dont want to know how outta shape i am right now...

Rock1984
10-19-2012, 04:01 AM
Good sessions.

SD is a killer place, I gotta have a look at job openings over there...

AJ Roberts
10-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Just a quick update with some cool things that happened over the past week.

The WOD demo we did for mainsite dropped

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3-EEDWwCh8

Crossfit Journal released the first installment of the article series we are doing on my journey. http://journal.crossfit.com/2012/10/from-strongest-to-fittestpart-1.tpl.

Power released the cover of the November/December issue which I'm featured on.

http://crossfitbattlefield.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/AJ-Roberts-.jpg

I'm also being interviewed tomorrow night at 8pm by Vincent Dizenzo's on the Just Big radio show (http://ftns.co/shows/just-big/), which should be fun.

Paulo_Santos
10-22-2012, 07:15 PM
Awesome job AJ.

AJ Roberts
10-23-2012, 11:37 AM
After talking with Anders about where my body is at we decided it's best for me to take a "down week". Actually Anders decided because if it was left to me I would just continue going balls to the wall as I feel like I have to make up for lost time due to being so far away from where I'm trying to get to. Anyways, I'll still be hitting the box daily but am under strict orders to only go 80% effort on everything.

Monday, Oct 23rd

1) EMOM - 8 mins
Power Snatch x5 w/95lbs

The class was working up to a single but as I need to work on my conditioning I opted to stick with a light weight and do 5's on the minute and sweat a little.

2) OH Squat - worked up to 95lbs

Started with the PVC pipe and worked on brining my hands in. Moved to the training bar, then the womens bar, and then finally the olympic bar. Managed to move my hand in about 2" from where they were last time and am getting closers to having them in the correct snatch position. I kept the weight light as there is no point loading until I can get in the correct position.

WOD - For Time
30 Burpee Cleans – 95lbs
Run 400M

Time - 4:58

AJ Roberts
10-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Tuesday

Games OPEN WOD 12.2

AMRAP 10 Min:

30 Snatches – 75lbs
30 Snatches – 135lbs
30 Snatches – 165lbs
MAX Snatches – 210lbs

Score - 71

scxfitter
10-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Well now that your info and story have been posted on the Crossfit Journal, I would bet the people reading this is about to increase dramatically.

I'm sure your coaches already yell at you for this but I noticed on your snatches that you are pressing out at the top. I recently ran into a crossfit coach who tore his labrum as a result of pressing out their snatch, it also counts as a no rep. I am definitely no expert but I do know that coach is out for almost a year as a result of that tear.

CheslinK
10-25-2012, 11:35 AM
I thought Crossfit was total shit until I saw AJ merging over...

It has slightly changed my mind to the scene. Maybe there is something there?

I just want to thank you for putting up this log. It is really inspirational to see how such an elite athlete uses extreme diligence to achieve goals. It's certainly a standard I'd like to keep for myself.

Thanks AJ

CheslinK
10-25-2012, 11:47 AM
I just registered for the forum just so I could state that there DEFINITELY are more than three people reading this.
I 2nd this.

Do you have a video blog AJ? I'd be willing to follow, or support somehow, a daily blog ... or every other day. I'm fascinated with this progression from powerlifter to Crossfit champ. Plus, seeing you drop weight like this is nuts.

ljosaitis
10-25-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm stoked you did the Games OPEN WOD 12.2. I keep telling myself to start doing those just so I can watch my progression but then I wuss out.

Doug L
10-25-2012, 01:32 PM

I did also. I found this thread through the thread Chris started on the CF forums and check it every time I boot up my laptop.

Frankly I get pissed off when I check it and there's no new posts from you :swear: ;)

I find it fascinating to hear from an elite performer who is applying himself to try to rise to the elite level in another sport.

Particularly more so from someone who had a negative opinion of it when he first saw it.

Particularly more so also considering that you have to LOSE a substantial portion of what you worked on for years in powerlifting.

I'm very curious about what type of reactions you've gotten from other powerlifters.

I'm sure your friends are supportive but did any one try to talk you out of it or convince you that you had more potential in powerlifting ?

AJ Roberts
10-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Well now that your info and story have been posted on the Crossfit Journal, I would bet the people reading this is about to increase dramatically.

I'm sure your coaches already yell at you for this but I noticed on your snatches that you are pressing out at the top. I recently ran into a crossfit coach who tore his labrum as a result of pressing out their snatch, it also counts as a no rep. I am definitely no expert but I do know that coach is out for almost a year as a result of that tear.

Yea I get yelled at a lot...lol

AJ Roberts
10-26-2012, 08:19 AM
I thought Crossfit was total shit until I saw AJ merging over...

It has slightly changed my mind to the scene. Maybe there is something there?

I just want to thank you for putting up this log. It is really inspirational to see how such an elite athlete uses extreme diligence to achieve goals. It's certainly a standard I'd like to keep for myself.

Thanks AJ

Glad you're starting to see Crossfit in a slightly different light. Yes there are a few morons who post some of the worst videos online but you can find that with pretty much any sport. The majority are continually educating themselves, going to seminars, seeking out others better than them and make it their mission to be the best coaches/athletes/members they can be.

AJ Roberts
10-26-2012, 08:22 AM
I 2nd this.

Do you have a video blog AJ? I'd be willing to follow, or support somehow, a daily blog ... or every other day. I'm fascinated with this progression from powerlifter to Crossfit champ. Plus, seeing you drop weight like this is nuts.

I may start video blogging here and there but I'm pretty incoherent after workouts so not sure how they will come across. I'll experiment with a few things and see what I can come up with.

AJ Roberts
10-26-2012, 09:16 AM
I did also. I found this thread through the thread Chris started on the CF forums and check it every time I boot up my laptop.

Frankly I get pissed off when I check it and there's no new posts from you :swear: ;)

I find it fascinating to hear from an elite performer who is applying himself to try to rise to the elite level in another sport.

Particularly more so from someone who had a negative opinion of it when he first saw it.

Particularly more so also considering that you have to LOSE a substantial portion of what you worked on for years in powerlifting.

I'm very curious about what type of reactions you've gotten from other powerlifters.

I'm sure your friends are supportive but did any one try to talk you out of it or convince you that you had more potential in powerlifting ?

Those I remain in contact with have been supportive, what others say behind my back really has no effect on my life so I tend to let it fall on deaf ears.

Going to meets now is pretty funny though as most people don't recognize me. I've literally stood next to friends I've know for 8+ years and they have to do a double take to figure out who I am.

AJ Roberts
10-26-2012, 09:17 AM
I'm stoked you did the Games OPEN WOD 12.2. I keep telling myself to start doing those just so I can watch my progression but then I wuss out.

You just got to do it lil buddy!

AJ Roberts
10-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Wednesday, Oct 24th, 2012

3-position Power Clean – 185 x 3 sets
Clean Pull + Hang Clean Pull + Hang Clean - worked up to 225

AMRAP 8 Min:

6 Hang Power Cleans – 155
12 Box Step Ups (45 lb overhead) – 20”
24 Double-Unders

Score = 3 + 17

The step ups were by far the hardest part of this workout. The box was just high enough that you couldn't keep a straight line and even though it was a static hold you were constantly shifting the shoulders to get on and off the box. This BLEW them up fast. What sucked is the slower you went the more it burned.

Thursday, Oct 25th 2012

Rest - 1hr stretch and mobilty

Friday, Oct 26th, 2012

Push Press - 175x3x3
Power clean + Push Jerk - up to 185x3

WOD - "Grace"

30 Reps of Ground to Overhead - 135 lbs

The first CF workout I ever did was Grace. So, when I saw it program today I was super excited to see how much progress I had made. Last time I tested I took 1min 19s off my time going 2:48. My game plan was to go unbroken and pace myself better at the start. The result a time - 1:36 - 1min 12s PR and fasted time EVER at CFPB!

Tim K
10-27-2012, 06:31 AM
The first CF workout I ever did was Grace. So, when I saw it program today I was super excited to see how much progress I had made. Last time I tested I took 1min 19s off my time going 2:48. My game plan was to go unbroken and pace myself better at the start. The result a time - 1:36 - 1min 12s PR and fasted time EVER at CFPB!

Congrats on the PR! Smoking time!

Patz
10-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Kick-ass grace time. That's up with the top people. We've actually had 2 guys do it under 1:05, which is just plain ridiculous.

AJ Roberts
10-28-2012, 01:17 AM
Saturday, Oct 27th, 2012

Stretchy yoga-ish stuff for 1 hr

"Cindy" - AMRAP 20 Min:

5 Pull-Ups
10 Push-Ups
15 Air Squats

18+19

AJ Roberts
10-30-2012, 12:06 AM
Monday, October 29th, 2012

Before I get to today's training just wanted to give a quick update on my weight. Right now I'm sitting at 258.6 after being stuck in the 260's for the past month. I have to give huge props to the boys of at Paleo diet in a box (http://www.paleodietinabox.com/) for continued help with my diet.

I was in a bit of a rush so had to train early and on my own. Wrists are pretty banged up so stayed away from the Olympic lifts.

Overhead Squat - up to 125x1

Technically a 30lb pr but nothing to be proud of. Having balance issues still due to shoulder flexibility/mobility. Going to keep hammering away at this until I get it down.

WOD - 3 rounds

Row 200M
10 OHS
10 TTB

Patz
10-31-2012, 03:45 AM
Great job on Cindy.

AJ Roberts
10-31-2012, 11:10 PM
Tuesday, October 30th, 2012

This was not fun...

3 Rounds:

25 Pull-Ups
25 Ring Dips (Scaled to pushups for the last 35 as triceps were completely shot)

Rest 2 Min

3 Rounds:

25 KBS - 53 lbs
25 Burpees

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012

3-Position Full Snatch - up to 75lbs
Snatch Pull + Hang Snatch Pull + Hang Squat Snatch w/75lbs

Reps 10-8-6-4-2:

Squat Snatch - 75 lbs
HSPU (scaled to box hspu for 6, 4, 2)

Here's the deal with todays training. The weight used is absolutely pathetic but just a few weeks ago I couldn't even squat snatch the bar or perform handstand pushups without someone holding me against the wall. It's far from where I need to be but it's progress.

Patz
11-01-2012, 06:04 AM
I feel your pain. Flexibility is so frustratingly important and I have about half of what I need (if I'm lucky). :(

AJ Roberts
11-02-2012, 09:18 AM
I feel your pain. Flexibility is so frustratingly important and I have about half of what I need (if I'm lucky). :(

Half more than me...lol

AJ Roberts
11-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Hightlight reel from the gym this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxualyDbAfM

For more videos be sure to subscribe to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOttawaStrong1

Ruff Riff
11-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Yeah, more than three checking this out! This thread could be argued to be one of the most interesting transformations ever! From what I have been told, you were always a pretty explosive youngster even before the power lifting? Shed some weight off of that explosive kid and there ya go! I have been adding hang cleans to most of my workouts for some endurance training, kind of hate the sled!

Keep it up AJ love reading this thread, been watching it for a long time but felt like letting you know a LOT of people are watching this! Go get em!!!

AJ Roberts
11-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Quick update as I'm sicker than a dog and can barely keep my eyes open looking at the computer screen.

Last Friday I was in Sacramento for a powerlifting meet @SuperTraining Gym and while everyone was weighing in, I hit the following WOD

AMRAP 8 Min Ladder:

Ground to Overhead - 185
Muscle-Ups

Practiced a few MU's before starting I thought I'd be able to do this RX. Got to round 3 and after missing a bizzilon times decided to stop the WOD and repeat band assisted as really it's more important for me to breath than spend 4 minutes trying to hit 1 movement. Managed to squeak out 6 rounds.

This week was the first week of qualifiers for the OC Throwdown.

WOD was AMRAP 10mins -
15 cleans @95
30 Double unders.

Not exactly the best WOD for me being as before this week the most DU I'd linked was like 10 and that wasn't consistent.

Monday I was still in Sacramento hanging out with Kelly Starrett (MobilityWOD.com) at his Mobility clinic. After we got done I decided to do a test run of the Qualifier WOD to get a feel for it.

Managed to hit 3 + 18 which is terrible. After texting back and forth with Anders we knew I'd need some serious work on the DU's before trying again.

Tues - Spent 10hrs driving back to San Diego.

Wednesday - A whole bunch of DU's.

Thursday - Qualifier WOD - 5+2

You can see a little of the action in this weeks PB Highlight reel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCUJfr-OWxU

Huge improvement over Monday but still far from where it needed to be. I got hung up in the third round and wasn't able to link the DU's.

Plan was to practice more Friday and repeat Sat. Unfortunately, my body had other plans and not only did I have some serious DOMS I also have come down with a pretty rough head cold.

I figured I'd go to the gym anyway Sat and see what I could do. After trying to hit some DU's I knew I wasn't going to be able to do the WOD and so had to submit my score as is which puts me in 664th /721 (surprisingly not last). I'll be looking for a little redemption next week.

As I was already in the gym I figured I'd get a little work in here's what I did.

Front Squat
225 1x10 & 2x5

Push Press (3mins)
135 5x10

Clean
135 x3
185 x3
225 2x1
275 x1
315 x1 - PR (will post video later)
335 x0 - didn't get elbows under the bar

All this seemed like a good idea at the time but by the afternoon I was wiped out and in bed. Woke up today in worse shape. Hoping I can shake this thing by tomorrow.

ncsuLuke
11-11-2012, 03:18 PM
There are three things that I have always found to be the most important with DU's:

1. Rope length
2. Rhythm
3. Focusing on one point out in the distance

Rope length is so incredibly crucial, just a slight difference one way or another can cause me from being able to string 50+ together with ease to barely even being able to knock out 10. Keep practicing and you will get those down in no time.

eboyd
11-14-2012, 11:32 PM
Quick update as I'm sicker than a dog and can barely keep my eyes open looking at the computer screen.

Hey AJ! first, i would like to say that you are a big inspiration for me right now as i am sort of in a similar mind state right now to where you have been since you decided to switch from PL to CF (for me it was football and today, with the urging of my girlfriend and many members of my gym, and with inspiration from a Dave Tate article, i decided to dedicate myself to becoming the world's fittest man). I would also like to say that you are most obviously a physical specimen light years ahead of where i am and as such surely know much more than i do about strength and probably fitness in general.

i prefaced with the above because i wanted to give some quick tips that have worked for me lately and i don't want to come off as though i am a know-it-all and that i am anywhere near your level yet. the reason that i felt the need to post this is because i used to regularly get sick (like pretty severely once every two months or more) and, with this sick season upon us, i have yet to get sick in spite of my family, girlfriend, and many others around me being very sick. Obviously this can be frustrating as it can set you back with your goals. So what have I changed to avoid getting sick?

-Cutting wheat/sugar/industrial seed oils from my diet: this recommendation came from Chris Kresser. i don't like recommending cutting things completely from anyone's diet as most everything fits in a pretty grey area, but these three suggestions seem to be pretty universal and everyone i know who has actually followed them has seen great benefit, regardless of their goals.

-Eating a lot of home made broths: My main dietary staple at the moment is broth made from veal bones. I personally stick with grass-fed but I am sure you can get similar results even if you aren't as particular as I am. Any bones will do. I just like the taste of veal broth and, being around CrossFit gyms all week long, I'm sure you've heard people talk about buying grass-fed beef when possible. Again, not necessary. The point is to drink lots of homemade broth as it will stave off a cold really quick and prevent you from getting one in the first place. I would avoid store bought, however, as those tend to contain a bunch of crap. It's pretty simple to make too, just takes time: add about 2 lbs of bones, water, salt, pepper, and whatever else you want (or just leave as is), then cook it on the lowest temp choice for 24-48 hours.

-probiotics: this one is tricky as if you take too much at once you may experience "die-off", in which your body's symptoms will get worse as the pathogens in your gut will get killed off by the good bacteria you put into it. Be very gradual with your approach here. Increase in teaspoon increments at a time. I recommend homemade probiotics (attained by fermenting veggies and other foods, usually with a starter culture in a mason jar), but store bought will work just fine. You can also purchase probiotic drinks such as kefir (i go with Organic Pasture's new raw kefir product line) and kombucha.

-zinc/vitamin c: whenever I feel or even sense the onset of a cold (ie: come into contact with someone else who is sick), as soon as I can I supplement zinc and vitamin C. this, and my fermented cod liver oil/butter oil blend are the only supplements i take.

-taking high/low days, resting or doing recovery workouts when i don't feel right/paying attention to resting heart rate (or HRV score if you have access): this comes from the recommendations of Joel Jamieson. I had a client who was nice enough to give me a heart rate monitor and I check my resting heart rate every morning, then, based on whether or not the score was around my normal (which is about 50 BPM on days where I wake up ready to kick the crap out of a workout) I decide whether I am going to push it or back off for the day. Typically, if my score is good that morning and my body feels energized and ready to go, I will work up near my max heart rate during the workout and lift as heavy as possible that day. If not I will back off and focus on aerobic capacity, not allowing my heart rate to exceed the 130-150 BPM range (probably about 65-75% of MHR). Something I did yesterday which I will probably revert to again as I felt great afterwards was the late Charlie Francis' concept of tempo intervals (12-15 secs of work at 75% speed with ~1 min of rest. I ended up just working my HR just above 150 and recovering until it dropped below 130 which sufficed). I seriously felt revitalized and more powerful after doing these. My vertical jump, perplexingly, was a few inches higher just a few minutes after doing this.

-Lots of rest and recovery: if i don't sleep much at night, i now make it a point to get a nap at some point during the day. not some measly 20 minute nap. i'm talking 1-2 hours of full sleep. it's not the same as getting a full 8 hours at night, but it is definitely better than going through the day groggy and unrested.

Hope this all helps, and I'm looking forward to hearing about you rebounding from this cold like it never happened, avoiding colds for the rest of the cold season, and meeting your goal of being the world's fittest man, and hopefully we'll compete alongside each other this year as well :)

Erik Boyd

AJ Roberts
11-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the tips Erik.