PDA

View Full Version : My girl pulling

Alex.V
07-07-2012, 10:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qEOFhkh5FM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Still working on upper back strength, troubleshooting how to best engage the hips given her prosthesis. Ideas welcome.

underthebar
07-07-2012, 11:01 AM
First I think its awesome to see any woman deadlift, let alone one with prosthesis. Kudos to her.

Not knowing her mobility limits, seems she is on her toes too much and could stand to sit back more. Ever try chair deadlifts with her?

Cards
07-07-2012, 12:01 PM
First, that was awesome, how much weight was it? Second, the PL section would definitely be more useful than the video section for pointers.

joey54
07-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Get her butt back more and maybe a hair down lower.

Oh shit, you mean for deadlifts. Well the above advice will work for those too.

krazylarry
07-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Seconded, she is badass.

I have know idea how the physics of pulling with a prosthesis work, so I won't even try to mention them.

Only things I saw was easily corrected, head up instead of forward, and sit back more, keep shins at 90 degrees, and have the bar ride up the shins for a more efficient pull.

JohnnyRingo
07-07-2012, 03:26 PM
I give her 6 months...............before she can pull more than me.

3fingerVic
07-08-2012, 08:00 AM
First of all, I think that she's very inspiring. I've been a fan of Ally McWeeny for a while. Ally is a bit larger than your girl, and is pulling 170ish with one leg. There has been some debate as to the long term effects of pulling without using her prosthesis. I'm wondering if using a closer stance may help. I say this because she may be able to get her leg under her more and get more drive upward. Also, and I may be talking out of my ass, the prosthesis may be more stable at a less harsh angle.

Alex.V
07-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Hey guys, much appreciated- thank you for the feedback. Chair deadlifts- that's a very good thought, absolutely hadn't considered that.

Cards- she's pulling 215 there I think? Her max is around 230 on a good day right now, but I think she's got 250+ in her pretty easily. She's only been deadlifting again for three weeks!

The mechanics are interesting- her right leg gets very little drive out of the bottom, and her femurs are slightly uneven in length, which makes the initial pull awkward. All the points about butt back and down are very well taken- I think she needs to not worry about scraping the prosthesis.

Vic- we'll play with leg position as well- it might be best to bring in perhaps just the right leg a bit, see if she can keep it close. Appreciate the input!

I've definitely seen videos of Ali, and from someone who's worked with amputee athletes for, shit, eight years (?), it pains me SO much to see her doing what she's doing. Props to her, but she's going to destroy her good leg in no time at all- she needs a good prosthetist to help her out. Agreed that AKs fight a very different sort of battle, but I've still had them squatting with both legs! Problem is, 95% of prosthetists know jack shit about creating legs for athletes, and this is why people give up on the equipment. Just watching her knee wobble on the squat, and watching the uneven load across the pelvis during a deadlift... makes me shudder!

Again, thanks for the input gents!

Cards
07-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Quick question regarding the prosthesis, can it take the abuse of the knurling on the bar scraping against it? Obviously some bars are more used than others, but a new bar absolutely destroys my leg, just curious what it would do to hers. I know those things are made strong, but trying to get a feel for what a prosthesis can handle.

fpr
07-09-2012, 09:48 PM
If she's afraid of scratching up the prosthesis see if she can talk to her prosthetist about making a removable cover (I'm assuming she isn't a fan of cosmetic covers?). We've made them in the past with a thin carbon braid around foam and closed off in the back with a zipper, easy for donning/doffing.

Does she fool around with the alignment of her leg at all? Maybe she needs to plantarflex the foot if she is too far forward on the toes?

Travis Bell
07-10-2012, 04:59 AM
That is awesome!

It looks like she needs to work on her glute strength.

April Mathis
07-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Why don't you have a talk with Dana Shealey? She is a strong lifter with a prosthetic leg. You could try sending her a message on facebook. I think she would be helpful.

dynamo
07-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Love it <3

andhen2003
07-19-2012, 12:25 PM
that's great!

NITF
07-20-2012, 04:37 AM
fucking badassery