PDA

View Full Version : how much cardio do you guys do?

frankm007
06-16-2002, 11:03 AM
n/m

Vynod
06-16-2002, 11:18 AM
A while ago I used to run 15 minutes after workout and would aim to shed 250 cal. Some weeks I would dedicate 45 mins only for cardio and no lifting. This routine did help me buckle up my waist belt from next hole but I also lost strength (and too much of it). Now I run 15 minutes post workout 3 days a week and at moderate intensity (10 cal per minute).

MonStar
06-16-2002, 11:23 AM
I do 20 minutes of cardio postworkout, and then 20 minutes of cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach on non-training days. :cool::cool:

MS

starks713
06-16-2002, 12:25 PM
Monstar,has all the cardio interfered at all with strength or muscle development? I am planning on doing my cardio similar to what you are doing.

Celestial
06-16-2002, 12:31 PM
Recently its been 45-60 mins a day. I am cutting though.

Jane
06-16-2002, 12:40 PM
0 minutes :)

In my opinion, there is just not enough positives to outweigh the negatives, and not enough positives in general. I let the diet do the work, and my heart...well, I could work on that with 10 min worth of intervals, if I reaaaally wanted.

I thought this article about cardio for fat loss was interesting:
http://testosterone.net/html/33plain.html

RussianRocket
06-16-2002, 02:39 PM
i do umm.........no cardio

Goin_Big
06-16-2002, 02:53 PM
I do it on weekends just to give me energy.

Allen
06-16-2002, 03:30 PM
No cardio either.

I knew Jane was going to reference that article again.

Tiare
06-16-2002, 03:38 PM
I used to do none, now I do a lot. 1+ hours a day 5 days a week seperated by at least 8 hours from my lifting routine. I break it down into at least 20 minutes of HIIT training and at least 40 minutes of high intensity cardio (I do cardio before HIIT though). I rotate which exercises I will do so I'm not always running or biking or swimming or stair climbing or elliptical running or climbing.

Since I started doing this, I've lost a ton of fat and I've simultaneously gained a lot of muscle, but I'm just coming off a 10 year gym free, McD's & Mountain dew diet so it was easy for me to make muscle gains and lose fat at the same time.

I intend to cut out a lot of the cardio and just do the HIIT training 3 to 5 days a week once I reach 8% body fat.

equinox10
06-16-2002, 03:51 PM
Right now, I do cardio twice a week. For the first session, I use the treadmill and I do a steady walk and then a very slow-paced jog for about half-an-hour. It gets me sweating without making me feel like I'm burning very much muscle.

The second cardio session is a bit tougher. It's still a fairly slow jog, but its about a 3 (maybe more) mile run along the shore near my house. It's a killer, especially on the legs, but it makes me feel great afterwards.

Personally, I've experimented with so many different forms of cardio. I've done HIIT (didn't get great results) and I've gone as far as running two miles every night (but that was when I was trying to lose weight). I found I was getting smaller from both of them, but alot of this had to do with my diet. After experimenting with cardio so much, I've come to the conclusion that diet is much more important. Cardio is just a very small part in the leaning out process, IMO.

-Justin

Fudomyo
06-16-2002, 04:25 PM
None for me (currently cutting).

If I'm still dragging a bit when I get to the gym I'll do about 3 minutes of eliptical, pretty insense, before I start my workout.

Assassinator
06-16-2002, 05:01 PM
I do cardio twice a week.

After my back and bicep workout.
And on one rest day.

20-30 minutes running.

Hellrazor
06-16-2002, 06:05 PM
none :( , I really should but......I`m a lazy ass son of a gun and besides I walk around a gym for 8hrs a day thats enough for me hehehe. I think I`m gonna start a little hiit soon........probably.:D

chrislehr
06-16-2002, 06:21 PM
I ran a 5K race today in 26:57.

gopher
06-17-2002, 05:11 PM
I step that up to 30 minutes 3 or 4 x week when I'm tring to get shredded. I used to do even more than that but over the years I have learned that diet is far more important to getting cut. I could probably get cut with no cardio but I HATE to be hungry more than I hate cardio so I'd rather bump up the cardio a bit and not have to go quite so harsh on the diet.
I stick with 2 short cardio sessions per week even when I'm gaining because cardio vascular fitness is to important to ignore, IMHO.

djr5901
06-17-2002, 06:39 PM
i think that the best type of cardio to compliment weight training are sprints and interval training. High intensity...no losses in lean muscle mass

BCC
06-17-2002, 08:21 PM
Zero cardio. I rather eat well.

Maki Riddington
06-17-2002, 08:23 PM
Nada cardio here.

Budiak
06-17-2002, 08:28 PM
I usually eat too much(at least its not trash), so I force myself to do cardio twice a week. I workout 4 times a week, and do cardio on two rest days, maybe three if I'm feeling fat or lonely.

g-dot
06-17-2002, 08:29 PM
None.

CBates
06-17-2002, 08:33 PM
I did cardio for about 6 months 2 days a week 20-25 minute HIIT, dropped the cardio about a month ago, haven't noticed any raise body fat levels or halting on dropping body fat. Only difference I've noticed is sometimes I tend to breath a little harder when lifting weights as I seem to get tired easier.

Kayak_boy
06-18-2002, 12:19 AM
At the moment I'm doing very little, maybe two or three sessions a week, one lonf interval session, one VVO2 Max session, each on apaddling machine,then get some water work done at the wekend and maybe a surf if the waves are up.

Then come August September I'll be back to training evereyday and finished my bulk and ready to start racing in December.

Vido
06-18-2002, 12:28 AM
Jane, that article is the biggest, and I mean BIGGEST load of crap I've ever read. I can't believe I actually read the whole thing and I can guarantee you I'm not even going to open up the link ever again. I would post one of the trillion fallacies in that idiot's article, but as I said I refuse to even have that shite on my computer screen.

Vido
06-18-2002, 12:29 AM
To all of you guys who do cardio post-workout, do you not find that extremely catabolic?

Mystic Eric
06-18-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Vido
Jane, that article is the biggest, and I mean BIGGEST load of crap I've ever read. I can't believe I actually read the whole thing and I can guarantee you I'm not even going to open up the link ever again. I would post one of the trillion fallacies in that idiot's article, but as I said I refuse to even have that shite on my computer screen.

I only skimmed through the article, and by no means am I knowledgeable enough to give out advice to other members but I was wondering if you could point out a couple of these "trillion fallacies" in that article? This is just for a debate's sake. Thanks.

Vido
06-18-2002, 01:08 AM
Well first off, there is no data to support any of his outrageous claims. Second, I find it rather amusing that after bashing cardio throughout the whole article he comes back and says it is absolutely necessary for those involved in a sport or for a dieting pro bodybuilder.

"Of course, there are also those among you that must do some aerobics. If you're involved in a sport that requires stamina, weight training will not elicit enough of a cardiovascular stimulus to withstand extensive long-term endurance. If you're a competitive bodybuilder, a certain amount of aerobics are a "necessary evil" in order to achieve the insanely low body fat levels required for competition, but even then it should be kept to a minimum."

So, in other words, doing cardio will get you in much better shape if you are an athlete. What's he saying...those who aren't athletes don't need to be in good shape? I don't follow his logic here at all. In addition, if cardio is a "necessary evil" to keep those bodyfat levels low for a pro, how does it not help the average bodybuilder wishing to shed some fat? Another mystery of the article that isn't explained.

You already know when the guy makes bogus claims like "weight belts are useless" and tries to make jokes in his "scientific argument" that he's just trying to cover up for his lack of knowledge. There's plenty more wrong with the article, but it's late and I don't really care to explain any further. It's funny how he brings his own failures into the article. "Oh yeah, I failed that course btw". Yeah, I wonder why :rolleyes:

Mystic Eric
06-18-2002, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Vido
"weight belts are useless"

Just wondering on one thing, how often do you use weight belts and what exercises do you do with them on? As well, what do you think definately needs the use of a weight belt and why?

Vido
06-18-2002, 01:22 AM
I use a weight belt for heavy squatting. I am not yet strong enough in any other exercise to warrant using one. It was especially helpful earlier this summer when I was working out twice a day. I did hams and lower back in the morning and quads in the afternoon. By the time the afternoon session rolled around, my lower back was fried. The belt gives you a lot of support for your back and is really quite useful despite what others may think.

Mystic Eric
06-18-2002, 01:32 AM
Hmmm well assuming that one is just doing normal gym training, is healthy and injury free, wouldn't a belt be unneccesary? Would the over-reliance of a belt alter the neuromuscular system? And as a result, what would that do to one's abilty to perform efficent or safe training?

MonStar
06-18-2002, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by starks713
Monstar,has all the cardio interfered at all with strength or muscle development? I am planning on doing my cardio similar to what you are doing.

No not at all man. Strength is soaring. :):)

MS

davetha1
06-18-2002, 02:58 AM
I've lost more fat doing no cardio than i did doing cardio 3 times a week, so none for me :)

platinumdoc
06-18-2002, 07:23 AM
I was initially 25-26% BF and dropped to about 18% prior to weight training. I am down to 11% but I find myself losing a lot of weight even when running 2.5 miles 3 to 5 times a week.

runt
06-18-2002, 07:34 AM
I'm seriously bulking and it's been reccommended enough to me to stop all cardio that I've decided to give it a try for the next 8 weeks. So no cardio for me at least for the next 8 weeks.

stantheman
06-18-2002, 08:51 AM
I play basketball at least twice a week and run for about 20 minutes on the days I don't

teeblair30
06-18-2002, 09:00 AM
Mike Henley

I do 20 minutes of cardio postworkout, and then 20 minutes of cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach on non-training days.

I would like to try the same plan.. 1 question.. do you eat something, ie. protein shake.or bar after weights. Or do you wait til after the cardio is done and then get your nutrition.. I think it would be awkard to eat something and and then go and get on the treadmill.. let me know..thanks

:help:

Vido
06-18-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by teeblair30
Mike Henley

I do 20 minutes of cardio postworkout, and then 20 minutes of cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach on non-training days.

I would like to try the same plan.. 1 question.. do you eat something, ie. protein shake.or bar after weights. Or do you wait til after the cardio is done and then get your nutrition.. I think it would be awkard to eat something and and then go and get on the treadmill.. let me know..thanks

:help:

I'm wondering the same thing teeblair30. I wouldn't like to do anything more than a brisk walk if I had a shake already in my stomach. However, I also wouldn't want to wait until 20 minutes after my weights workout to have my post-workout nutrition. This debate is basically the one I was attempting to begin earlier in the post when I asked if doing cardio post-workout would be extremely catabolic.

frankm007
06-18-2002, 10:57 AM
i personally think that even if ur bodyfat doesn't even raise a percent, breathing heavy because you finished a hard set of squats sucks!! me personally i do cardio twice a week for 20 minutes (just boosted it up to 20 actually) on the bike or incline threadmill (ill be using incline more from now on) One of the biggest benefits of cardio is the ability it has in making the blood vessels work more efficiently, and i find that to be more than enough for me to do cardio all the time, no matter if i bulk or cut... after all, our bodies where designed to be in motion for hours as we chase for food and battle hungry animals..not to carry excess muscle... our bodies are designed to preserve fat!! sugar and protein go first... watch survivor :) hehe.. anyway, i still like carrying plenty of extra muscle but i do want a healthy heart.

Vido
06-18-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Mystic Eric
Hmmm well assuming that one is just doing normal gym training, is healthy and injury free, wouldn't a belt be unneccesary? Would the over-reliance of a belt alter the neuromuscular system? And as a result, what would that do to one's abilty to perform efficent or safe training?

First of all Eric, this is a thread regarding cardio, so you are just getting way off base. Second, if you don't want to use a belt, then don't. I take my weight training seriously, but I don't think so much as to bring in alterations to the neuromuscular system into my thought process. I've done squats w/o a belt and I've done them with a belt and for my money, they are a heck of a lot easier and more comfortable with the belt.
Also, I do not think I have placed an over-reliance on anything. I said I only wear the belt for squats, not for anything else. I realize that when you wear a belt it takes away from your lower back's contribution to the exercise and therefore, slows any gains that could be coming in that area. That being said, I try to focus on my quads taking the brunt of the punishment from the squats, not my lower back.
I'd like to know what you mean by "normal gym training". I mean, I thought most people here performed squats on leg day. Sounds pretty normal to me. Please PM me if you have to say anything else, but as I said this thread is not the place to continue the discussion.

GeneticallyGifted
06-18-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by BigChaseyChase
Zero cardio. I rather eat well.

I second that.

Jane
06-18-2002, 11:47 AM
I didnt post the article as a scientific piece of literature to be the be all end all of truths.

But it is generally agreed that there is a huge number of people out there who think aerobics make all difference in fat loss, and are an absolute requirement in changing body shape in any way. I used to be a member of this group myself, running 3-7 miles a day. What I wound up doing was loosing a hell of a lot of muscle mass, not having ANY fun, and wasting my every single afternoon for half a year.

My friend, who is also a part of this misconception group, goes to the gym for the main part to use their treadmill. She then says things like "exercise doesn't work for me." It is her that I would give such an article to, and not a person with experience in reading properly-written and researched fitness articles.

PowerManDL
06-18-2002, 11:52 AM
*contemplates a major ninja-chopping of this thread*

ElPietro
06-18-2002, 11:57 AM
There is more to cardio than just mindlessly killing off some added calories. It may come as a shock to some people, but I actually enjoy playing sports. Wow isn't that revolutionary? Sure I could just lift all my life but I don't think I'd enjoy it as much. Cardio isn't a replacement for bad diet but there are other benefits.

Saying cardio is useless is just foolish. But also relying only on cardio if you truly want to be in some form of decent general physical condition is equally as foolish. I've seen my share of out of shape aerobics instructors. The only ones that have decent bodies are the ones that weight train regularly as well.

Vido
06-18-2002, 11:57 AM
Jane, sorry if it sounded like I was personally attacking you for posting the article. The article contains very few facts and I disagree with it entirely, but that's my opinion.
If you lose muscle mass while doing cardio, it is not the cardio's fault, it is your own. This goes to anyone who thinks that cardio will contribute to muscle loss, which is a huge fallacy. What contributes to muscle loss is inadequate protein and total calories. Of course, if you burn more calories by doing cardio you just need to put more back in your body. It's not that difficult. It's the old cals in vs cals out equation. Personally, that's why I love cardio...it gives you the ability to eat more without gaining fat. I think that anyone who is worried that cardio will destroy muscle just needs to get there diet in check.

Vido
06-18-2002, 11:59 AM
Well said ElPietro. I'd like to see Ronnie Coleman or Jay Cutler try to play soccer or basketball or something. What a joke that would be.