PDA

View Full Version : A question for Westside DE day

RobmoriRB
07-15-2012, 07:31 PM
for DE day on bench, would board pressing be a good idea with strength bands?

kingns
07-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Its a popular exercise to do that as a second exercise on DE day. They say to push the bar towards your feet during that one, and to use lots of bands

Cards
07-16-2012, 06:15 AM
from my understanding, the competition lifts are used on DE to hammer form and the variations are used on ME day. I'm sure others will chime in.

BloodandThunder
07-16-2012, 09:05 AM
from my understanding, the competition lifts are used on DE to hammer form and the variations are used on ME day. I'm sure others will chime in.

True to a point, yet 3 grips are used sometimes on speed day, which are variations of competition grip. I've seen Floor Press and 1 board used for speed work and they are mentioned in the WS BOM and DE manuals. Travis could probably answer better here, but unless you have RFD problems in the high board range, I wouldn't go higher than 1 board for speed work especially for a raw lifter.

As long as you're applying suitable force and using proper numbers, DE method is DE method. But the exercise/exercise variation used should be suited to your leverage and strengths.

vdizenzo
07-16-2012, 09:35 AM
In my opinion DE should ALWAYS go to the chest. This is where you practice your bench form because a lot of times you may not even be on a bench for ME day.

Travis Bell
07-16-2012, 11:01 AM
What Vincent said.

Boards (on a Westside training program) belong on ME day, not DE.

There are plenty of other ways to train your triceps without needing to go super heavy on boards. I've just found whenever I've gone heavy on DE day I end up feeling really slow and beat up when I get to ME day.

JK1
07-22-2012, 01:09 AM
What Vincent said.

Boards (on a Westside training program) belong on ME day, not DE.

There are plenty of other ways to train your triceps without needing to go super heavy on boards. I've just found whenever I've gone heavy on DE day I end up feeling really slow and beat up when I get to ME day.

Hey Travis, question on that... I'm reading the thread as if the question was heavy boards--ie sets of 3 as an example. What about higher rep work--ie sets of 5 to 8 as an example?

I've pretty much always approached triceps training as Lighter, higher reps (ie sets above 10) on ME days, and more intense heavier work (ie sets of 5 usually and never less than 5 but maybe as high as 8 depending on the exercise--boards or pin lockouts would obviously be slightly lower reps) on DE days.