PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on Sheiko 29?

Falcon63
07-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Anyone ever had success with it?

burt128
07-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Yes, as part of a longer cycle. 29, 37, 32 works well for folks just starting out with that style of training.

BloodandThunder
07-20-2012, 06:47 AM
Very good program especially if your technique needs refining. The Sheiko BAMF forums and the Sheiko manual both can provide more info. Run it with accurate maxes and be patient on Sheiko. Some may say it's "boring," but lifting weights every workout in the 75-85% range builds strength and can be alot of fun.

You should also look at the classification charts to ensure you are running a proper sequence for your skill level. I would run the program as written a few times before addressing any personal needs (Sheiko itself is cookie cutter programming, so it is tailored to each lifter).

Falcon63
07-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Thanks.

Would you guys recommend making any changes? Like, for example, making the deadlifts from knees into just normal deadlifts, or replacing bench with OHP one time per week?

EDIT: Just saw what you wrote about that.

And it's not boring to me, haha. Just more time I get to spend in the weightroom on lifting days.

BloodandThunder
07-20-2012, 11:00 AM
By boring, I guess I meant repetitive. It's fun lifting heavy weights every workout though. You lift 70% + every day.

Tailoring is a separate issue. I don't think you should change the fundamental nature of a specific exercise. DL to knees works knee extension in a DL. If you tailor it, change it for a similar exercise like an isometric pull, a halting pull with a shorter/longer pause, etc. Don't swap a knee extension for a hip extension like block pulls or rack pulls. The OHP should be in there. It's typically a 6x4 or 5x5 fashion. Again, by subbing out benching, you're losing out on volume and NBL on a main exercise. If anything, you'd swap OHP for inclines for example or Military or Seated Overheads for OHP.

If you have an extreme leverage issue, you can swap volume on secondary loads. For example, if you have to bench twice in a workout, you can take the second series and make them close grip vs chain if you have a lockout issue. Or you can do Olympic style squats for the second series of squats to give your back a rest from all the low bar squatting. As the meet day gets closer though, you should be very lift specific and drop the variation, especially since the frequency, volume, and intensity drops.

Again with volume loading, you accumulate fatigue and the frequency finetunes your display of strength on a given contest day. So by replacing the fundamental motion of an exercise, you may not peak right.

Falcon63
07-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks, that actually really answered my question well.

chris mason
07-21-2012, 12:29 AM
A waste of time in my opinion. You can obtain the same or better results with much less work.

burt128
07-21-2012, 11:25 PM
A waste of time in my opinion. You can obtain the same or better results with much less work.

This is an interesting thought. My run with Sheiko resulted in an 15 pound total pr. It was a lot of work for a 15 lb pr. The older I get, the more I believe I need to find ways to get more out of less. The volume more than anything seems to beat me up. I wonder if that's why Eastern Bloc lifters tend to peak earlier and also be done earlier.

kingns
07-22-2012, 02:29 AM
I love it. Only thing to get my dl moving. It's hard though

patricky
07-23-2012, 02:49 AM
Sheiko is an awesome way to train. It's just that it's major set back is that it's boring and you don't know where you are.

Whether sheiko is better/worse than westside i don't know. But I'd say with either you will get to 99% of your potential.

Don't jump into an advanced sheiko when you are not cms you will just injure yourself I did with my shoulder.

kingns
07-23-2012, 10:59 PM
the biggest problem i see w sheiko is how long the workouts take. If you dont have 2.5 hrs to train 3-4 days per week its not for you. You can probly get great results in half the time. But if your goal is simply to get really good at the 3 powerlifts it is a very good way to do just that. If you are the type of lifter that likes to do lots of assistance work look elsewhere

Falcon63
08-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Update on Sheiko: I love this program! After my first cycle of #29 (1 month), my bench went from 315 to 355, and 425 to 485. testing squat max on Friday.

Great results, and I'm enjoying weightlifting A LOT more than I used to!

patricky
08-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Update on Sheiko: I love this program! After my first cycle of #29 (1 month), my bench went from 315 to 355, and 425 to 485. testing squat max on Friday.

Great results, and I'm enjoying weightlifting A LOT more than I used to!

Yeah Sheiko is awesome the is no doubt about that :) I had simlar results as you.

joey54
08-02-2012, 07:37 AM
For those that have done Sheiko, how were you training prior to starting it?

BloodandThunder
08-02-2012, 08:01 AM
For those that have done Sheiko, how were you training prior to starting it?

When I competed single ply, I utilized Conjugate and then peaked using the CMS/MS prep and comp routine (9 weeks). I had indicator ME lifts a few weeks out that I based my equipped maxes on and went by feel for raw maxes before starting the prep cycle.

Sheiko is technically a year-long plan (basically a quarter olympic-cycle) where you plan out your meets and have 4-5 week cycles and a progression scheme, but I never ran it like that.

Falcon63
09-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Well, I have a few questions...

1. After you do 29, 37, and 32, which usually comes next in the program? I'm currently on 32.

2. Since I've been boxing recently, I've decided to change the chest portion of my Wednesdays to shoulders. I want to stick with the same template (same % of my max, same sets, reps, and 1 assistance exercise). The compound exercise I'll be doing is hang clean and press (strict overhead press). I included the hang clean because, well, I like hang cleans, but also because cleans hit the traps, and I want to strengthen my traps for boxing. My question is, if you could pick one exercise that really kills the traps/delts/both, which would you pick? I'm thinking Arnold Press, but I'd like some other opinions.

joey54
09-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Isn't 32 a comp prep cycle?

BloodandThunder
09-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Well, I have a few questions...

1. After you do 29, 37, and 32, which usually comes next in the program? I'm currently on 32.

2. Since I've been boxing recently, I've decided to change the chest portion of my Wednesdays to shoulders. I want to stick with the same template (same % of my max, same sets, reps, and 1 assistance exercise). The compound exercise I'll be doing is hang clean and press (strict overhead press). I included the hang clean because, well, I like hang cleans, but also because cleans hit the traps, and I want to strengthen my traps for boxing. My question is, if you could pick one exercise that really kills the traps/delts/both, which would you pick? I'm thinking Arnold Press, but I'd like some other opinions.

1.Read through the Sheiko Book to understand the sequencing. Theres plenty of info on the BMF forums on this too.

2. So instead of bench you're going to do hang clean/press? You're taking a power exercise and trying to substitute it in with the exact sets/reps? Now you're not doing the Sheiko template, you're doing something much different. Every bench workout builds onto the next one. There is a rhyme and reason to the programming and part of the reason it works is the mix of frequency/volume/intensity that's programmed into it.

If you want to work traps, do some trap accessory work after the main sets. Very simple. Otherwise, if you're boxing and somewhat serious about it, it'd be best to pick a programming system that caters more to other goals other than becoming highly proficient at 3 lifts only. 5/3/1 or conjugate for example.

Falcon63
09-07-2012, 08:31 PM
1.Read through the Sheiko Book to understand the sequencing. Theres plenty of info on the BMF forums on this too.

2. So instead of bench you're going to do hang clean/press? You're taking a power exercise and trying to substitute it in with the exact sets/reps? Now you're not doing the Sheiko template, you're doing something much different. Every bench workout builds onto the next one. There is a rhyme and reason to the programming and part of the reason it works is the mix of frequency/volume/intensity that's programmed into it.

If you want to work traps, do some trap accessory work after the main sets. Very simple. Otherwise, if you're boxing and somewhat serious about it, it'd be best to pick a programming system that caters more to other goals other than becoming highly proficient at 3 lifts only. 5/3/1 or conjugate for example.

While I appreciate your advice, I like doing Sheiko. And while it's not by the book, I want to experiment with change. Not trying to be an asshole, but I'm just looking for an answer to my second question.

patricky
09-08-2012, 12:39 AM
While I appreciate your advice, I like doing Sheiko. And while it's not by the book, I want to experiment with change. Not trying to be an asshole, but I'm just looking for an answer to my second question.

You're supposed to alter it to meet your needs..
I had a lot of success doing sheiko #40 and on monday adding 1 set to failure of seated log press, wednesday skipping the bench and doing 5x3 floor press at 80% of max bench, then 3x5 heavy as can go dumbbell bench and on friday doing 5 singles of the log press at 90%. My bench flew up. As did my log press,

Falcon63
09-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Wow, after doing Arnold press for the first time today, I can honestly say that it is the single most effective shoulder exercise I have ever done. I will never go another shoulder workout without doing Arnold press.

BloodandThunder
09-11-2012, 01:34 PM

After 37, you can do 40 if you're a rated lifter. Lot more work with 85%. 32 is a peaking cycle for a meet. You can also modulate the volume down to 39 then peak if you're beat up.

Again, it's best to stick to the template and if anything, altering the volume/intensity only on that barbell lift. Changing the NBL may get you somewhere, but accumulation of fatigue is how this program works. If you're deadset on swapping, I imagine a strict overhead would work best (or close grip incline). Remember this is ultimately a program to increase your total and 3 lifts no. 1. Other factors are inherently useless to Sheiko (like boxing) and that's why I recommended Conjugate. Doing this for 1 maybe 2 cycles might give you a PR, but ultimately you may be shortchanging your results by swapping.

BloodandThunder
09-11-2012, 01:38 PM
You're supposed to alter it to meet your needs..
I had a lot of success doing sheiko #40 and on monday adding 1 set to failure of seated log press, wednesday skipping the bench and doing 5x3 floor press at 80% of max bench, then 3x5 heavy as can go dumbbell bench and on friday doing 5 singles of the log press at 90%. My bench flew up. As did my log press,

See my above quote about the Knee Exten/Hip Extens argument. Swapping a Floor Press for a Paused Bench is not the same as a Hang Clean/Press and Bench. Read Sheiko's book to understand this a bit more with regards to alterations and the degree of alterations he deems acceptable.

It's like swapping out ME Floor Press for Conjugate with ME Overhead Lockouts. Both have a similar training effect at the end of the day. But swapping out for ME BB Curls? Different story

You hit a PR which is expected but perhaps you also shortchanged yourself with 40 by not following through the routine as is.

Falcon63
09-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Thanks for answering man.

Honestly, I'll probably still stick with the bench / hang clean and strict OHP swap (and fly / Arnold press swap), because, while I enjoy powerlifting, I want to have even shoulder development, and I don't even compete in powerlifting, so I'm willing to swap out one of the bench days for shoulders.

And yeah, I said it above, but I'll say it again: Arnold press is the single greatest shoulder exercise I have ever done.

ScottYard
09-11-2012, 05:12 PM
29? You cant even brake a sweat with 29! Anything less then Sheiko 30 isnt worth even going into the gym. But watch Sheiko 31.... Damn near killed me!

Sorry I just watched theres something about marry and love the 6 minute abs bit. Ive never tried Sheiko.

Falcon63
09-11-2012, 06:37 PM
I dunno, I made pretty decent gains with 29. It's light, but the volume killed me. Plus, my body to seems to respond well to heavy (but lighter) weight.