PDA

View Full Version : 5/3/1 for Powerlifters

DontTakeEmOff31
07-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Hi all, does anyone have experience using the powerlifting variation that Wendler recommends? I've been doing 5/3/1, I enjoy the concept of reps but I want to train specifically for a powerlifting meet coming up and I feel I really need the heavy singles.

In the book Wendler says the first and third weeks do the prescribed reps and then heavy singles. Should this just be done by working up to a 1 RM?

joey54
07-26-2012, 10:37 AM
No max.

ironwill727
07-26-2012, 11:51 AM
The important thing is to get 2-3 singles in. I have seen some say 90% of true max on 3s and 95% on 1s week. I think that is a good rule of thumb so you get in heavy work and do not burn yourself out.

BloodandThunder
07-26-2012, 01:05 PM
In the ebook, he states to base the singles as a certain percentage of your proposed contest max, whereas your 5/3/1 sets are based on your training max. The key is to make sure that if you keep pushing up your training max, that you account for that realistically in proposed contest maxes.

85% for example is a typical opener for a powerlifter, many people should be able to triple this on a bad day.
That 85% may be different than the 85% number you use based on a training max.

I auto regulate it. IMO, it's more important not to miss weights and to hit those singles to get that competition technique dialed in.

RhodeHouse
07-26-2012, 01:51 PM
I would just do 2-3 singles using the same jumps as the main sets. For example, if you do:

205x3
225x3
245x3

I'd follow that with

265x1
285x1
305x1

Or something like that. The important thing is to work up and feel some heavy weight.

When I used 5/3/1 I worked up to preset numbers I had in my head. I ended up hitting my opener about 3-4 weeks out, then just worked up to my last warm-up in the back room the next few weeks.

JohnnyRingo
07-26-2012, 02:02 PM
In the ebook, he states to base the singles as a certain percentage of your proposed contest max, whereas your 5/3/1 sets are based on your training max. The key is to make sure that if you keep pushing up your training max, that you account for that realistically in proposed contest maxes.

85% for example is a typical opener for a powerlifter, many people should be able to triple this on a bad day.
That 85% may be different than the 85% number you use based on a training max.

I auto regulate it. IMO, it's more important not to miss weights and to hit those singles to get that competition technique dialed in.

http://gifs.gifbin.com/1237811519_chuck-norris-approves.gif

ScottYard
07-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Hi all, does anyone have experience using the powerlifting variation that Wendler recommends? I've been doing 5/3/1, I enjoy the concept of reps but I want to train specifically for a powerlifting meet coming up and I feel I really need the heavy singles.

In the book Wendler says the first and third weeks do the prescribed reps and then heavy singles. Should this just be done by working up to a 1 RM?

When we used it we only added singles on the first week of each mini cycle. especially the last mini cycle heading into to the meet. But do it just as the book says and see what happens. then tweak from there if needed

DontTakeEmOff31
07-30-2012, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Given me some good ideas on how to approach it. I agree about not missing these lifts at all.

My biggest concern is working on and getting used to competition bench, im thinking of repeating whatever weight my last set was
with a pause and then work up from there for 2-3 more, as in

210x3
240x3
270x3
270x1 pause
290x1 pause
300x1 pause

joey54
07-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Take a look at my training log over the past 6 months or so on here. It may give you some ideas on how to structure things.