PDA

View Full Version : Calories are just calories?

RussianRocket
06-16-2002, 05:23 PM
Does it matter if calories come from liquids or is it better if it came from solids? Say Milk vs Steak (steak tastes better lol)

Jane
06-16-2002, 06:32 PM
Liquids are going to be digested faster.

The nutrient breakdown is different. Both have protein, but skim milk is going to have a decent amount of carbohydrate (lactose) and steak is going to have a lot more fat.
It's not only calories that count, but the different ratios of fats, proteins, and carbs...so, milk and steak both play different roles in a diet, depending on your plan.

Saint Patrick
06-16-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Jane
Liquids are going to be digested faster.

The nutrient breakdown is different. Both have protein, but skim milk is going to have a decent amount of carbohydrate (lactose) and steak is going to have a lot more fat.
It's not only calories that count, but the different ratios of fats, proteins, and carbs...so, milk and steak both play different roles in a diet, depending on your plan.

Well said.

Clark
06-17-2002, 12:15 AM
Also remember that milk has sugars in it which will probably cause an insulin boost which we all know can allow fat to be stored more easily.

RussianRocket
06-17-2002, 04:57 PM
I'm bulking up and all i need to know at this point if it matters if i drink the calories or eat them?

body
06-17-2002, 05:26 PM
drinking normally speeds up digestion and increase absorption, but its not a huge difference and will depend on nutrient.